Another factor that can cause problems with the Internet is interference from other devices. For the adapter to be able to “wifi” without interference, it must be installed as far away from possible sources of interference as possible: air conditioner, microwave oven, telephone.
In order for the smart TV to function well, it is necessary to update the software on time. Below are the ways how to install the latest firmware on the most popular plasma brands.
How to reset network settings
On Samsung screens, this operation is performed according to the following instructions:
- Plug in the plasma panel.
- In the main menu, perform the following operation: press the info key, then the menu button, then the power key.
- After this procedure, the television system will open access to the service menu.
- Select the Option section, and then press Enter.
- Go to Factory Reset.
- Close menu and turn off TV.
- Turn the screen back on, and re-configure the data (change name, pin code).
If the procedure for resetting the network settings did not bring success, then it is recommended to take two additional steps:
- Change the DNS server value manually. Before performing the procedure, turn off the DHCP option on the router.
- Then you need to perform the following sequence of actions: press Control Sub Option Mute Time, set the time to another channel 100 ms (automatic settings make the setting 600 ms).
Before finding out the main reasons why the TV does not connect to the Internet via WI-FI, the user needs to make sure that there was no mistake in setting up the equipment. Read also about TVs with Wi-Fi.
Internet connection scheme, via WI-FI:
- Enable Wi-Fi adapter (connection must be active).
- Go to the menu section.
- Select “Network”, and then “Network Settings”, here you need to specify the type of connection (wireless).
- In the list that appears, select the required signal and click “Next”.
- Enter an individual password.
- The operation to establish a connection will begin, then click “OK”.
- The wireless network is working properly.
If it was not possible to establish a connection, then you need to consider other possible causes of the malfunction.
Why can’t I connect to the internet
The most common causes of problems are:
- The configuration of the network equipment was incorrect.
- The TV itself is incorrectly tuned.
- The problem is not with the technology, but with the Internet provider.
- Software crash.
- Problems with Smart Hub settings.
How to troubleshoot
Each problem requires an individual approach, below is a list of the most common problems and how to fix them.
- The screen does not see the device. options for eliminating this malfunction: turn off all equipment, and then turn it on; reset network settings and update software.
- Another WI-FI network. go to the network settings section, and specify the correct data.
- DHCP problems. turn off the monitor and then manually drive the network settings.
- Malfunction of the television panel. if there is a malfunction of the equipment, then you need to update the software.
Top Reasons Why TV Won’t Connect Wi-Fi
Why the Smart TV does not connect to WI-FI is a question that worries many smart TV owners. The Smart TV option allows you to use the screen not only for watching programs and movies, but also for accessing the Internet. The most popular way to connect to a network is wirelessly using Wi-Fi. This is one of the available options, since many companies produce panels already with a built-in module.
But there are often situations when a problem arises in the operation of a wireless connection. the TV cannot connect to WI-FI. Such a malfunction can occur both at the stage of setting up the equipment, and after some time. The reasons why such a malfunction occurs are varied: perhaps the plasma does not see the router, or maybe the problem is in the wrong setting of the equipment.
Internet does not work on Smart TV with direct connection
If your provider uses the Dynamic IP connection technology, and does not use MAC address binding, then immediately after connecting the cable to the TV, the Internet should work.
If you connected the cable to the TV (a cable that does not come from a router, but from an Internet provider). and the Internet does not work, then most likely your ISP uses Static IP, PPPoE, L2TP, or PPTP connection technology. And / or binds by MAC address.
The best way is to call the ISP’s support and ask what technology they are using and if they do MAC bindings. Or look at the official website of the provider.
- If the technology is Dynamic IP, then the Internet should work immediately after connecting the cable, without any settings (provided that there is no binding by MAC address).
- Static IP technology. you can set this very static IP (which your provider should give you) in the network settings on your TV. How to set these settings, I wrote in this article (for example, LG TV).
- If PPPoE, L2TP, or PPTP, then such a connection cannot be configured on the TV. At least for now (maybe not on all TVs). But, as far as I know, such a connection cannot be raised on the TV. What to do in this case? You need to buy a router, set up an Internet connection on it, and from it already distribute the Internet via cable, or via Wi-Fi to your TV, and other devices. For example, an article on setting up TP-Link TL-WR841N.
If the connection is by Dynamic IP, or by Static IP, but the Internet on the TV still does not work, then there is a possibility that the provider binds the Internet to the MAC address (this should be checked with him). What to do in this case?
Go to the TV settings and go to the Support. Info tab. about the product. This is in LG TVs, if you have, say, Samsung, Sony, Philips, or another manufacturer, then these items may differ slightly there. Look at the MAC address there.
Call the support of your Internet provider, and ask to register a different MAC for your contract. Tell them the MAC of your TV. Or, change the MAC through your provider’s personal account, if possible. Everything should work.
Why the Internet does not work on the TV when connected via a network cable (without a router)?
After buying a modern TV with Smart TV, you probably immediately want to connect it to the Internet. This is understandable, Smart TV without an Internet connection is an almost useless feature that you shouldn’t even pay extra for. In this article, I will write about the possible problems that are likely to arise when connecting the TV to the Internet via a network cable, not through a router, but directly. When the network cable is from your provider, we immediately connect to the TV.
There are several nuances due to which, the Internet may never work on TV. Almost everything depends on your provider.
Let’s go in order. If you have a configured Wi-Fi router at home that successfully distributes the Internet, and your TV has Wi-Fi (built-in or external adapter). then you can connect to the internet wirelessly. If it is not possible to connect via Wi-Fi, then we connect to the router via a network cable (LAN). If the TV has a Smart TV, then the network connector should definitely be.
But what if there is no router? If the Internet is directly connected to a computer, for example, or is there just a cable from the provider in the house? It’s simple, we can take the network cable that the provider laid for us and connect it to the TV. This can be done in any case, but whether the Internet will work with such a connection is a separate issue, which we will now try to figure out.
I think that we managed to figure out the issue with the direct connection of the TV to the World Wide Web. It is with a connection not through a router, but directly from an Internet provider.
If you just bought a TV, and you haven’t connected the Internet yet, and you don’t plan to install a router, then choose a provider that distributes the Internet using Dynamic IP technology. There should be no problems with this connection.
TV sees Wi-Fi network, but does not connect: error
Double-check the name of the network and the password for accessing it (one friend of mine stubbornly wanted to connect to a neighbor’s Wi-Fi network (the network was called almost the same as his)). It is very convenient to use a Wi-Fi-enabled mobile phone for this.
In general, also pay attention to the error code (if displayed) and its description. In some cases, only this code allows you to get to the “truth” (especially when some mistakes are made in the software by the developers)
Next, check the router settings (tab “Wireless settings”). Is the name of the Wi-Fi network and the password correct when you try to connect the TV?
Also, take a look at the “Bandwidth Control” section of the settings. If there is a similar option in your router model, in some cases it may start blocking access to the Internet for certain devices (including
Bandwidth control (Tenda router as an example)
In some cases, the old settings “do not allow” to establish a network connection (if the TV was previously connected to another network). To accurately eliminate the causes associated with this, it is recommended to reset the TV parameters for diagnostics:
- LG TVs have the following menu: “Settings. Additionally. Are common. Factory reset ”;
- for TV Samsung: “Support. Self-diagnosis. Reset ”(see screenshot below).
By the way, when you reset the TV settings, not only the network parameters will be cleared, but also the TV channel lists. You will have to re-configure them
Conveniently?! Undoubtedly! In addition, in such cases as ours, it saves a lot of time.!
first you need to go to the TV settings and turn on WPS;
then press the “WPS / Reset” button on the router for 1-3 seconds. (no longer, because this can lead to a reset of the settings!);
If all of the above did not work, then perhaps, as a temporary measure, you will be satisfied with connecting TV to a phone or computer (which have Internet).
This will allow you to view films and photos (which are saved on them), play computer games on a large screen, surf the Internet, looking at Internet pages in their full size
I gave a couple of articles on connection and configuration below
In rare cases, the fault of the TV’s incorrect operation with the Internet may be the firmware (i.e. the software that is installed in the device). To eliminate this defect, you need to download the correct firmware from the manufacturer’s website and update it.
I warn you that such a procedure is often the reason for the refusal of warranty service (moreover, it can cause damage to the TV).
The next important command is ipconfig
. Enter it. I got it like this:
In this case, the address is 192.168.17.139. You can also ping this address (you ping yours). packets should arrive instantly. The default gateway is the address to which the computer sends packets without finding a suitable address on its network. So, in my case, all packets except for packets on 192.168.17. will be sent to 192.168.17.240, and that computer must already decide what to do with them and where to forward them further. Note:
the local network, that is, those addresses, packets to which are not sent to the gateway, is determined using a mask. a zero in the last place and 255 on all previous ones just means that the last number in the IP address can be arbitrary.
One of the standard actions when looking for connection problems is to ping your gateway. If the packets do not reach it, then, apparently, the problem is somewhere nearby, for example, the power cord is damaged or badly plugged in. It is also worth knowing where the computer with your main gateway is physically located. at the provider, somewhere in the house, or maybe it can be in your apartment. Note:
some computers are configured not to respond to ping requests. Therefore, the absence of ping is not a 100% guarantee that there will be no connection with the address.
information can be obtained with the ipconfig / all command
. I managed:
C: \ Documents and Settings \ Administrator ipconfig / all
DNS suffix lookup order. : MSHOME
DNS suffix for this connection: srcc.msu.ru
Description: Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
Physical adress. : 00-16-D4-63-03-65
DHCP server. : 192.168.17.240
DNS servers. : 220.127.116.11
I have highlighted the most useful information in bold. gave me a dynamic address based on my MAC address or physical address. Mine are 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124.
Connection features depending on the Samsung TV model
The company “Samsung” is constantly expanding production, introducing innovative technologies, improving the range of television devices. Even budget lines are equipped with Smart TV technology. Each series is distinguished by small features regarding the Wi-Fi connection.
All models of Samsung Smart TVs by date of manufacture and characteristics are labeled by series, which are designated by Latin letters.
To find the series of your TV, you need to look at the model code found on the rear panel label. The third letter of the code indicates the production series, and at the same time the prevailing technical characteristics.
Previous generation TV systems do not have built-in Wi-Fi modules. This means you need to buy an adapter or connect to the network via a cable. The main problem in purchasing adapters is the individual compatibility of devices; for each series an authentic device is required. Compatibility data can also be found on the manufacturer’s official website by looking at the corresponding table.
Some routers have a device blocking function.
Modern devices not only work quickly and stably. they also take care of your safety. On the one hand, this is very good: no user can manually control their connections around the clock. On the other hand, “advanced” routers allow you to simply block some devices. this is the answer to the question why you have to work on a WI-FI laptop without access to the Internet in Windows 10 or another OS.
The developers of Zyxel Keenetic have achieved particular success in this direction. Let’s consider the process using the example of the software they offer; in other cases, you can proceed in the same way.
First, you need to go to the control center and select the “Connection Priorities” category. Next, to get rid of the problem, switch to the “Device binding” tab.
At the next stage, select your device with which you have problems in the list that opens. If you see that it is located in the right column “No access”, drag the title using the mouse to the left. this way, easily and quickly, you will correct the error. In the same way, by adding other equipment to the column on the right, you can block and then unblock other PCs and gadgets.
Depending on the developer, firmware and other conditions, the process may have a slightly different look. In particular, referring to the list of connected equipment again, you may have to set the restriction or remove it not by dragging, but by selecting the desired item in the drop-down list. Do not forget to save the created changes upon completion of the manipulations.
If you are unable to use the “stationary” version of the control center, resort to using a mobile one. The easiest way to do this and remove the problem due to which the computer does not connect to the Internet via WI-FI is to install the My.Keenetic applet on your phone. As you can see, in this case, control will be carried out by moving the sliders.
Among other things, you can completely, without any special settings, deny the connection for all unregistered devices. To do this, go to the section responsible for the corresponding profile, and, again referring to the drop-down list, select the required parameter. If necessary, the specified settings can be canceled in exactly the same order. As usual, any adjustments you make need to be confirmed.
To prevent the error 105 problem, we recommend that you use the following preventative measures:
- Run an antivirus scan for malware once a week.
- On the router, specify the address of the local provider that provides the user with Internet access as the primary DNS server. And the secondary address is from the English. “Secondary Name DNS Server”. one from the list of public DNS Address.
Manufacturers of new TVs have provided the ability to connect to the Internet, which made the device more in demand and functional. However, not everything is so smooth.
If there is a Wi-Fi receiver in the parameters of the TV model, but the technician refuses to catch the network, you should understand the causes of the malfunction and eliminate it. There are quite a few reasons, so it is worth considering them in more detail.
Usually, to connect the TV to a wireless network, you need to find it in the settings, enter the password and activate the connection in this way. But often, after entering the password on many devices, a message appears that the technician was unable to connect to the network.
The most common are several reasons.
- Failure to sync devices. To prevent the problem, it is recommended that you restart your TV or router. In this case, you should not just turn off the equipment, but pull out the cords from the network.
- Incorrect router configuration. If necessary, the problem can be solved with your own hands, without resorting to the help of a specialist. It is worth paying attention to the fact that after any manipulations with the settings of the router, you must reboot it.
- Error code “106”. Indicates that the TV is not connected to the network. In this case, the TV can see the router, but it cannot connect to it. It is recommended to check the Wi-Fi functionality on other devices.
And also quite often the TV starts to lose the network during operation, disconnect from it. Download speed may drop dramatically, but other devices are showing normal connection.
There are several reasons for this phenomenon, consider them.
- Reset automatic updates. This function is provided in some models of routers, therefore it is recommended to check the settings.
- Weak signal. The problem occurs when the TV is far from the router. Large objects or furniture between the receiver and the router can also cause interference. To improve the signal, it is recommended to change the position of the router or remove obstacles.
- Inappropriate range. The optimal indicator is the range of 5 GHz.
- Incorrect settings. Sometimes the TV has incorrect settings for functions that must be turned off in order for the signal to stop disappearing. The same can apply to a router.
Another common problem that occurs during the operation of a TV that needs to be connected to a wireless network is the appearance of the inscription “incorrect password”. It prevents the device from receiving a signal. You can solve the problem if you look at the router settings.
An additional reason for the inoperative Wi-Fi module is a breakdown of the router. If the software in it is outdated, the new TV model will also fail to connect to the network. This situation will require contacting a specialized center.
Finally, the lack of connection can be caused by the breakdown of both devices.
In the case of a router, this may be incorrect settings, which led to a malfunction, and for a TV, a breakdown consists in the termination of the operation of the built-in module.
Why the TV won’t connect to Wi-Fi and what to do?
Modern technologies do not stand still. Today, everyone has the opportunity to purchase a TV with Smart TV function. Such a device allows you not only to watch TV programs, but also expands other possibilities.
- social services;
- message exchange;
- visiting various sites;
- listening to music;
- watching downloaded movies.
The most common way to connect TV equipment to the Internet is a wireless connection, which is also known as a Wi-Fi module. However, during operation, failures, errors often occur, and the signal disappears at some point. It is worth understanding in more detail why the TV no longer connects to Wi-Fi, and what should be done in such a situation.
How to set up a network?
On Smart TV screens, network setup consists of a series of steps.
- The user includes a TV device on the network.
- On the main page, he presses the info key, the menu exit button, and another key called power. This brings it to the service menu.
- The third step is to go to the “Options” section and the item with settings. At this point, you will need to click Factory Reset.
- After that, the owner of the TV turns off the device. After a few minutes, turns it on again, returning to the settings.
- In the settings, he re-enters the data, which includes the name, PIN.
This completes the reset procedure. If it does not give the desired result, then it is recommended to take three additional steps.
- Change the DNS server value manually. Before performing this step, it is recommended that you disable the DHCP option on your router.
- Press the sequence of keys and items: Control, Sub Option, Mute Time.
- Set the time on another channel to 100 ms. It should be noted that in automatic settings the time is set to 600 ms.
This completes the network configuration. In most cases, it is possible to solve the problem of connecting a television device to a Wi-Fi network and start using the Internet.
If the problem persists, then it is recommended to look at the status of the firmware.
How to troubleshoot?
Each problem requires an individual approach. Before trying to fix a breakdown, it is worthwhile to understand in more detail what caused it.
One of the common problems with a TV not being able to connect to Wi-Fi is interference. To prevent their formation, it is necessary to install the adapter away from sources that cause interference. Such sources can be:
- air conditioning;
The second point to pay attention to is whether the TV module supports this type of connection. If the device is not equipped with this function, then it may be necessary to purchase an additional network distributor. At the same time, it is important to select the adapter so that it can be combined with the TV model.
If everything is in order with compatibility, then it is worth checking the TV device module for faults. The breakdown detection scheme may vary, it all depends on the TV model.
Let’s consider the procedure using the example of Samsung technology.
- First you need to find out if other devices can see Wi-Fi. You can determine this moment, for example, using a phone that has access to a wireless network.
- If everything is in order with the router, you will need to go to the TV settings and find the “Support” item. Here you need to select “Addressing TV” and look at the characters that are in the address column. If the characters are zeros or dashes, this means that the module is not working.
In this case, you should seek the help of specialists. If everything is in order with the module, it is recommended to reset the network settings and try to reconnect to the wireless network.
How to update the firmware?
In order for your Smart TV to function properly and to connect to Wi-Fi, you should check the version of the software that is installed on it. If necessary, to eliminate possible errors and other problems, it is recommended to update the software by performing the firmware.
There are two options for updating the firmware:
- through the Internet;
- using a USB stick.
Since the first option is considered the most simple and straightforward, it is worthwhile to better examine the possibility of updating the software by using a flash drive. This will require:
- go to the website of the TV company;
- choose an exploited model;
- open the support section;
- go to the item with the software;
- select a new software version from the list of available firmware;
- download the archive to your computer by clicking the corresponding link;
- on the screen, create a folder with the name of the new extension, place the downloaded file in it;
- insert the drive into the TV.
After that, the system will immediately recognize the firmware and offer to download the updated version. The user will only have to confirm the operation. It is worth paying attention to the fact that during the firmware update, you cannot turn off the TV in order to prevent unpleasant consequences.
If a power outage is expected and the software update process has already started, it is recommended to use an uninterruptible power supply.
You can fix the problem of connecting the TV to Wi-Fi on your own if you initially determine the cause of its occurrence and figure out what options for fixing or troubleshooting the problem exist.
How to connect a TV (LG, Philips, Sony, Samsung, etc.) to the Internet using Wi-Fi, see the following video.
The router is incorrectly configured
In some situations, the TV does not connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi due to incorrect router parameters. To configure your device, open the control panel. To do this, you need to enter the appropriate combination of numbers in the address bar of the browser. For details on how to open the main menu of the router, see the user manual.
To change the settings of the TP-Link router, go to the “DHCP” section. Check if the DHCP server is actually activated and functioning correctly. If you disable this option earlier, then the TV and other devices connected to the home network will not be automatically assigned an IP address. It is impossible to achieve good routing without automatic IP configuration.
Go to the “Security” section in the router settings. Disable client MAC filtering if this feature was enabled by default. On ASUS, D-Link, TP-Link, Huawei routers and devices from many other manufacturers, you can whitelist the device’s MAC address. What does it do? In the future, devices added to this list will not be blocked. Therefore, communication through the router will be correct.
How do I find the MAC address of my TV? All necessary information is displayed in the settings. The exact path varies depending on the vehicle manufacturer. Let’s consider some of the most popular options:
- Samsung: Go to Settings, then to the Support section and select Contact Samsung. Click on the down arrow and then select “Wireless MAC Address”.
- LG: Open the settings and go to the “Support” section. Click the Product Information tab. This is where the MAC address will be indicated.
- Philips: Go to settings and select “Install”. Then you need to select “Configure the network manually”. You need the command “View network settings”.
If you change the network settings of your router or add the TV’s MAC address to the whitelist, reboot the router for the changes to take effect. Reboot is carried out from the “System” tab. Alternatively, press and hold the power button of the router.
If you tried to connect the TV to your home wireless network by entering the password manually, then it also makes sense to try another method of setting up an Internet connection. WPS. Wi-Fi Protected Setup technology. allows you to quickly set up the Internet on your TV. However, this mode must also be enabled on the router. This can be done through system settings or by clicking on the appropriate button. It is located on the body of the router.
To access the web-based interface of the router, find the sticker with the corresponding information, turn the router over. Enter the IP address in the address bar, and then log in to the control panel by entering your username and password. Click the “WPS” tab to activate this mode. Connect quickly to your home network in just a few minutes.
What if the WPS mode worked correctly before, but later the TV stopped connecting to the home network? Enter all the required information manually. To connect to a hidden point, you need to enter not only the security password, but also the network name. SSID. TVs with older versions of the operating system do not always support the search for hidden wireless networks. Therefore, before updating the software, remove the hidden network names in the router settings.
Why TV Won’t Connect to Wi-Fi. Troubleshooting
Setting up wireless Internet access on TV does not take much time. Mostly, users only need a few minutes. However, what if the TV does not connect to the Wi-Fi router? First you need to diagnose the cause of the malfunction, and then carry out the restoration.
Why isn’t Wi-Fi working on my TV? There are several reasons. We will thoroughly analyze the problems faced by users, and then propose the best solution. Basically, the connection is configured by changing the system parameters.
Built-in Wi-Fi is defective
To determine why the TV is not connecting to the Internet, you need to check if the equipment supports Wi-Fi. If the model does not support Wi-Fi, then buy a special adapter. It is desirable that the TV and external Wi-Fi module are from the same manufacturer, otherwise there may be compatibility problems.
If the TV supports a wireless connection and everything worked correctly, but then the connection was lost, then the hardware Wi-Fi module is out of order. Diagnostics is carried out according to a similar principle, but there are still certain differences. Take an LG TV as an example:
- First you need to check if the TV connects to other wireless networks. For example, if the device does not detect any other available connections at all, the module is most likely damaged.
- Open the settings and then go to the “Support” section. Open detailed information about TV. Pay attention to the symbols in the line with the addresses. If the address consists of zeros, then this indicates a malfunction of the module.
It is extremely difficult to troubleshoot a hardware failure on your own. This requires special equipment. It is more rational to contact the service center so that the engineers normalize the work of TV.
Experts recommend using a USB cable to keep the adapter and TV within a certain distance. Connecting in this way minimizes interference that degrades reception quality. As a result, the speed of the Internet connection will noticeably increase.
We’ve talked about potential compatibility issues earlier. Therefore, open the instructions for your TV, and see which devices your model supports. Information about supported external adapters can also be found on the official portal of the TV manufacturer.
Router location problem
Weak signal can cause disruption to the Wi-Fi router connection. If possible, move the router as close to the TV as possible. In order for the router to see TV, you need to remove all obstacles that attenuate the signals: large indoor plants, furniture, household appliances. What if the TV and router are in different rooms? The walls also block radio waves. Therefore, it is advisable to arrange the equipment in one room.
To improve the signal quality and speed of the Internet connection, you need to place the router on a hill. For example, you can place the hotspot on a large cabinet or hang it over a door. If it is not possible to change the location of the router, an additional antenna is connected to it to increase the power. As a result, the signal quality will increase markedly. The signal quality directly depends on the RF gain of the antenna.
Sometimes the TV does not see the router due to the fact that interference is created by other household appliances: a refrigerator, a microwave oven. This point is also worth taking into account. Place the equipment so that it does not interrupt the Internet connection.
Resetting network settings on the TV
To reset system settings on Smart TV, follow the following step-by-step instructions:
- Turn off the TV.
- Open the system settings menu. To do this, you need to press a combination of buttons on the remote control in the following sequence: Info, Menu, Mute, Power.
- TV service menu will open.
- Go to the “Option” tab and press “Enter”.
- Use the “Factory Reset” function.
- To close the service menu, just turn off the TV.
- Start the TV and check if it picks up a wireless internet connection.
What if the settings are reset, but the TV still does not see the network? To solve this problem, you need to perform additional steps:
- manually change the DNS values. The following parameters must be set: 8,8,4,4 or 8,8,8,8. First go to the router settings to deactivate the DHCP option;
- Use the RF Mute Time menu to select the automatic channel advance menu. The default is 600 ms, change this value to 100 ms.
Check if the TV is now looking for wireless networks.
For the TV to work correctly, you need to install system updates in a timely manner. Otherwise, various problems will arise. It is possible that the TV will stop seeing the home network. How to update the software component of smart TV? The algorithm will differ depending on which manufacturer’s equipment you are using. Let’s consider the most popular options.
LG TVs are updated according to the following algorithm:
- Go to the manufacturer’s official website.
- In the column “Search” you need to register the TV model.
- Go to the “Support” tab.
- Open the subsection “Software”.
- Download the latest system update package.
- The downloaded files need to be transferred to a special folder.
- Copy the directory containing the firmware files to a USB flash drive.
- Insert the USB flash drive into the USB connector of the TV.
- The TV operating system will request a software update.
- Agree and start installing software components.
Samsung TVs are updated a little differently:
- Turn on the TV.
- Go to settings.
- Select the “Support” section.
- Open the “Firmware Update” tab.
- Select the “Update Now” command.
- It will automatically search for a new system update package.
- The system will make a request to install a new firmware version, click “OK”.
- The process of installing system files will start.
- After the installation is complete, the TV will automatically reboot.
If Samsung Smart TV is not updated via the Internet, you can also install the new firmware version using a USB flash drive or external hard drive:
- Go to the website of the manufacturer.
- Download the latest update package for your TV.
- Insert the USB stick to the USB connector of your laptop or computer.
- Format with FAT32.
- We transfer the downloaded system files to the USB flash drive.
- Click “Extract”.
- Once unpacking is complete, safely remove the USB stick.
- Insert the USB stick into the TV USB socket.
- Open the main menu.
- Go to the “Support” section.
- Switch to the “Software Update” tab.
- Choose “Update Now”.
- Confirm OS upgrade when prompted.
- Smart TV will detect the firmware version that is loaded on the USB stick.
- Click “Update” and wait until the installation of the new firmware is complete.
When the installation is complete, the TV will reboot.
Resetting to default settings
The easiest and most effective method is to factory reset. However, it is worth using it in extreme cases, if none of the above methods solved the problem. It should be remembered that other previously installed custom settings will also be replaced with the standard ones. In other words, you will have to customize the TV “for yourself” from scratch.
IMPORTANT! Before resetting the settings, you need to make sure that the router is in good working order and is in working order.
In the TV menu, you need to find the item “Reset to factory settings”, select it and confirm the action by clicking the “Update” button. There will be a complete update of the information, the multimedia device will reboot and display the start page, where you need to re-enter data and configure the functionality.
Updating the software
Another way to check the health of the wireless module is to update the TV firmware. This manipulation can be carried out in 2 ways:
- With the help of a special cable (LAN-wire), because the procedure cannot be completed without access to the Internet. If updates are found during the search, they must be installed;
- With the help of previously downloaded information to an external medium (USB flash drive). It is connected to the TV via USB and the data is updated. But first, you need to download the latest firmware from the official website of the TV manufacturer to an external drive.
IMPORTANT! During the software update, do not disconnect the device from the mains, otherwise the data will not be installed correctly, and the procedure will have to be repeated.
Not all TVs support installing updated firmware from an external storage device. The only way out is a wired internet connection.
Determining if the built-in Wi-fi fails
Before you start troubleshooting, you need to make sure that the TV is equipped with a Wi-fi signal reception function. To do this, you just need to look at the instructions. If the user manual does not mention the built-in wireless network module, then you need to additionally purchase a special device with this function. It looks like a regular flash drive and is inserted, respectively, into the USB connector.
But in cases where the multimedia device supports wireless data transmission technology, and there is still no signal, you should diagnose the Wi-fi module itself. The algorithm of actions includes the following stages:
- It is possible to carry out the check using a device that supports a Wi-fi connection. Any smartphone will do. If the phone detects the network, then the module is working properly;
- You can check the health of the built-in Wi-fi using the main menu of the device. In the window that opens, you should find the “Support” section, where you need to find a line with MAC addresses. The module does not work if there are dashes, zeros or other characters.
Checking the compatibility of network standards
There are situations when there is no required one in the list of available networks. It turns out that the router does not work according to the prescribed standards, but according to strangers that the TV saw. There are 4 types of standards: G, N, AC, 802.11B. The newest devices support the AC standard and operate at 5 GHz, while the other 3. at 2.4 GHz, and are intended for older models. So it turns out that outdated samples do not see the network due to frequency incompatibility. Fortunately, the situation is easy to fix. It is enough to reconfigure the frequency range from 5 to 2.4 GHz. Thus, the new Wi-fi router will start transmitting the signal while the old one is clean. To do this, in the control panel you need to find the Dual Band item, where the numbers are replaced.
What to do if the TV won’t connect to Wi-fi
If the above methods did not find an error, then the problem is different.
The main causes of problems connecting a TV to a Wi-fi router
In fact, there may be several reasons why there is no connection to the network through a router. To identify them, it is necessary to diagnose the device to identify problems. The main problems include:
- Initially incorrect configuration of network equipment;
- Receiver software glitches;
- Problems with the service provider. provider;
- The settings of the Smart Hub service are down;
- Incorrect installation and setup of the Smart TV.
IMPORTANT! It is necessary to locate the Wi-fi router as close as possible to the TV and away from devices that can create electromagnetic interference: microwave ovens, electric kettles, cordless phones, etc.
The TV does not connect to the Wi-Fi router
Televisions have long ceased to be solely a means of receiving and reproducing television signals. Modern models have a number of additional useful options that allow you to expand the functionality of a multimedia device. Among them, a special place is occupied by the possibility of accessing the Internet. Thanks to this, the receiver ceases to be a conventional electronic device capable of displaying only transmitted pictures on the screen using loudspeakers. Such advanced units are called Smart TVs or “smart TVs”.
You can connect to the World Wide Web in two ways: via a LAN cable or using a Wi-fi network. The first is considered less attractive and unsafe because involves the use of a large number of wires that need to be hidden somewhere. And this does not look very aesthetically pleasing from the point of view of space ergonomics.
The best option is to use a wireless network. The latest TV models come with this feature by default, so they are in high demand among buyers. However, according to statistics, incidents occur with these samples. The TV does not connect to the Internet. the main problem faced by the happy owners of “smart technology”. A reasonable question is brewing: “Why doesn’t the TV connect to the Wi-fi router?” To find the answer to it, you need to deal with the cause and eliminate the malfunction. You can do this on your own. How, read in the article.
How to connect Smart TV to Wi-fi router
After making sure that the Wi-fi router is working properly, you can start using the Internet resources through the TV. The algorithm of actions is as follows:
- Turn on the TV and router;
- Use the buttons on the remote control to find the section of interest. “Network”;
- Then scroll through the lines and find the item “Network settings”;
- Select the sub-item “Wireless networks”;
- After a moment, the screen will display the available networks, where you need to find the home one and select it;
- A window will appear on the TV display where a password is required;
- After entering the secret code, you need to press the “OK” button.
IMPORTANT! Each TV comes with a User’s Guide, which provides step-by-step instructions for connecting to a Wi-fi router via a wireless network. It also describes in detail possible malfunctions and ways to solve them.
It is clear from the article that connecting a TV to a wireless network is quite simple, as well as fixing problems with a Wi-fi router. The main thing is to carefully study the instructions and follow all the recommendations. It should be remembered that the settings algorithm for different brands may differ from each other.
What to do if your TV won’t connect to Wi-Fi?
New Smart TVs are interesting in that they are connected to the Internet, which expands their functionality. Such TV sets are used not only for watching TV programs, but also for visiting websites, playing games, listening to music, communicating on social networks, watching videos, including streaming (streaming), and so on. You can connect your equipment to the Internet using wireless and wired technology. Usually they choose the first one, since the absence of wires is an additional convenience. Sometimes the TV does not connect to WI-FI, and there may be several reasons for this. The article will talk about ways to restore the connection.
Causes of the problem
Why does the TV not connect to the WI-FI router:
- incorrect settings of network equipment or TV itself;
- errors in the Smart TV operating system;
- problems on the part of the provider (technical work);
- weak signal.
Samsung appliances connect to the Internet in the same way as devices from other manufacturers. Only the interface and menu names differ.
Connecting Samsung to the Internet.
Reboot TV and router
If only the TV is missing Wi-Fi, the first thing to do to troubleshoot is to restart it. To do this, just turn it off and on. If, after turning off the screen, the TV remains connected to the network, it is turned off by pulling the plug out of the socket.
When rebooting the router, wait about 20 seconds between turning it off and on, during which the previous Internet session will be terminated. That is, the connection will be “reset” and the equipment will start with new settings.
Correct setup or reset
Newer Samsung TVs have the option to reset network settings. To do this, go to “Settings”. “Network” and select the item “Reset network settings”. After that, they try to connect using a new.
If the TV does not see WI-FI, they try to set up the Internet manually. First, they go into the settings of the router and see if the DHCP server is disabled, then this is the reason. Its function is autodetection of parameters.
- On the TV go to “Settings”. “Network”. “Manual Setting”.
- They indicate the IP address from the local range of the router, which can be found in its menu.
- “Subnet mask”. enter the value “255.255.255.0” here.
- “Gateway” is the IP of the router (“192.168.0.1” or “192.168.1.1.”).
Sometimes a full reset of the TV settings (to factory settings) helps. The procedure differs depending on the manufacturer of the equipment:
- LG. “Settings”. “Advanced”. “General”. “Reset to factory settings”;
- Samsung. “Settings”. “Support”. “Self-diagnosis”. “Reset”;
- Panasonic. “Settings”. “System menu”. “Initial settings”;
- Philips. “Configuration”. “TV settings”. “Factory settings”;
- Sony. “Settings”. “Storage reset”. “Factory data reset”.
With a full reset, not only the network parameters will be “zeroed”, but also the settings for the image, sound and other options, therefore, it is recommended to rewrite them before starting the procedure.
Replacing the WI-FI adapter with an external one
This method will not fix the built-in module problems, but if the connection is missing, the external device will be relevant. Such an adapter resembles an ordinary USB flash drive in size and shape and works from a USB connector.
Troubleshooting DNS Server Errors
The method works on Samsung. If the company’s servers are overloaded, it is not surprising why the network does not catch. To connect to the Internet directly, bypassing the manufacturer’s infrastructure, they use free DNS from Google or Yandex. To do this, enter in the network settings: the main server. “126.96.36.199”, the additional one. “188.8.131.52”. If there is no second field, only the first value is entered.
Samsung TVs May Have DNS Servers Error.
Changing the location of the router
You can solve the problem of poor signal by moving the router closer to the TV. In order for the equipment to “see” each other, it is not recommended that there be furniture, other household appliances, indoor plants and other things between them that interfere with the signal transmission. The radio signal does not penetrate well through the walls, so it is better to place the router in a room with a TV.
To improve the signal quality and, accordingly, the connection speed, the network equipment is placed on a hill (on a cabinet or fixed above the door). If it is not possible to move the router, an additional antenna is connected to it, which increases the power.