Is using a widescreen monitor in portrait orientation more efficient for encoding? (12)
In the very near future my setup will be updated and part of the deal will be dual monitors (yay!)
At least one of the monitors, possibly both widescreen.
I’ve heard that developers have used a second monitor, especially a widescreen monitor, in portrait mode. This allows for a few more lines on screen (albeit narrower) and is a bit like a long page of code.
Does anyone out there use this and think it is more efficient?
Thank you for the widescreen monitors in portrait mode. However, some monitors have poor viewing angles in one dimension, which will usually be vertical but becomes horizontal in portrait mode. This can make colors poor or unusable if not aligned correctly.
I currently have 2 19 ” monitors. One I stick to the landscape, and the other. in portrait mode. I find working on documentation or reading long web pages easier on a portrait screen. I also used this setting for coding and found it really helps, however it was a habit.
iPhone Screen Rotation Not Working in iOS 13/13.2. Here’s the Fix
This is ineffective for me. I am using an IDE, so in landscape mode I have sidebars for code navigation, project navigation, etc.
In fact, vertical pixels are the most valuable asset in computing. do your best to get more of them. you won’t regret wasting your money! I won’t even buy a laptop with vertical pixels less than 1024-1080 as that is the minimum required to display a full-page readable PDF and (much) more. (Since PDFs make up most of today’s online documentation / tutorials, this is a very big problem.) You only have to think about width after you have enough vertical pixels.
I really want a 15.4-inch or 16-inch laptop with a portrait screen. they still need to be wide enough to fit a full-sized keyboard into the base. FlyBook style swing arm would be nice but not needed.
Depends on the size of your monitor. We have 1 28 ” landscape monitor and 2 24 ” portrait monitors that frame a large monitor.
Great for pair programming!
At work, I run my primary monitor (secondary laptop screen) in portrait mode. I really like it. I got messed up seeing more code at once. I don’t think he encourages longer methods. Sometimes I run into code that is too short because the sidebars of the IDE cut it down a bit, but I mostly use Eclipse (Rational Application Developer, but Eclipse), so a quick double click enlarges the code window, which is very useful. Another double click and I have sidebars.
I also find this to be a very useful orientation for my email.
It depends on which IDE you are using, if any.
Microsoft Visual Studio likes to use a wider monitor width with Toolbox and Solution Explorer, so I find it works better on a landscape monitor. Since that would prevent you from undocking the editor window, you couldn’t even drag the code editor onto the second monitor, which was in portrait mode.
Also consider how your customers are likely to set up their monitors. You can write any UI code with the same setup so you get a feel for what the application will use.
This is not stupid, but a question. Portrait wide screen is very good for writing code, code width has never been an issue and being able to see more lines of code on the screen is always good.
Another reason for placing a widescreen image in a portrait. it is that it matches the height of your other monitor, for example, a widescreen widescreen widescreen widescreen widescreen widescreen widescreen widescreen widescreen widescreen 22 “wide monitor is close to the same height.
I can’t imagine how this would speed up performance. In my opinion it is always easier to scroll up / down than left / right.
I have never tried this, but I would have thought it would work very well. I personally like to keep my lines pretty short, and wide screens tend to give me fewer lines of code, so I would try.
It all comes down to personal preference, however, what ever allows you to be most productive and best for you is the way to go.
I tried it once. I did not like it. I usually have IDEs and IDEs perfect for widescreen viewing. Jump faster if you see the feature list on the right, the file list on the left, etc.
Also, I try to keep my features small, so this is usually not a problem (I have a double 24 “). If your features are small enough and you have a widescreen mode, you can show two files side by side, which are often more useful Some editors allow you to split the window and scroll to two different parts of the same file. This is also very useful, much better than having more than 100 lines on the screen. With my settings I have 60 lines per screen in the editor. If I split editor, I can see 120. If I do it again on another monitor, I can see 240. This is quite a bit of code and is generally only useful for all sorts of different parts of it.
I actually have 3 widescreen monitors in portrait mode and yes, that’s a great way to work. There’s so much less scrolling and you can put all your debug / output / help windows on the screen at once.
The problem with using dual monitors is that you will usually work on one main and have an output (or whatever). If you have two, set them up so that your primary monitor is directly in front of you and the other (less frequently used) is off to one side. I believe this is the best way to use a dual monitor setup as it reduces the likelihood of the RSI being constantly distorted in order to look at a particular screen.
In addition, there are several virtual screen provisioning software that I really appreciate for large / widescreen monitor settings.
. and yes, you have to write functions short enough to fit on one page, but being able to see more functions at any time can often make development easier in my experience 🙂
[edit2] Running the IDE in Visual Studio Studio in portrait on a widescreen monitor is fantastic when it comes to debugging compilation errors as you have more usable space to see code and errors at the same time. I suppose you could argue that if you compile regularly enough you shouldn’t see a lot of errors right away ? but who is the code? 😉
Damage to the gyroscope sensor
In the iPhone, the gyroscope is responsible for obtaining data about the position of the device in space. It is he who determines that the gadget has been turned and the picture needs to be adjusted to the screen (album or portrait).
The sensor can be damaged if the iPhone is dropped, bumped, or if it gets wet. In this case, you need to visit the service center to replace the broken module with a new one.
Open “Settings”. “Basic”. “Universal access”. “AssistiveTouch”.
This option allows you to perform actions that are often reserved for mechanical buttons (for example, screen lock buttons). AssistiveTouch also allows you to rotate the screen in different directions in applications that support this mode of operation. Before using this function, turn off the rotation lock of the gadget.
Fix Screen Rotation Not Working Problem on iPhone 11 | iPhone Screen Won’t Rotate Solved
Next to the line “AssistiveTouch” click on the switch. It will turn green to indicate that the feature is now enabled. A gray square will also appear on the iPhone screen. Initially, it is small and translucent, but when you click it. will unfold.
Exit the settings, and then open any program. “Notes” and “Photos” will do, since they support guaranteed screen rotation.
Click on the gray square. A menu appears with options such as Control Center, Machine, and Notification Center. Select the “Home” option at the bottom of this section. The choice of this function corresponds to pressing the mechanical button “Home”.
If, after following the above instructions, the screen still does not rotate, then you need to restart the gadget again. If the screen does not rotate, then this problem may be related to a breakdown in the iPhone hardware.
An active user of “apple” products, able to repair any Apple gadget and give advice on the work.
Have questions? Ask in the comments to the article.
It may be helpful for you to know
Various kinds of difficulties can arise when changing the screen orientation. Check out the solutions to some of them in the table below.
|Rotating display and monitor are not the same||It may not be difficult to change the screen orientation, but it doesn’t always mean that it is possible in your particular case. Not all monitors are made to stand on different sides (for example, Apple monitors). If your monitor does not have a built-in rod on the back, you can purchase a dedicated stand that allows you to flip the monitor in any direction|
|Speed up the process / can’t find the settings section||Some video cards allow the user to rotate the screen by holding Ctrl Alt and pressing one of the arrow keys. For example, pressing Ctrl Alt down arrow will flip the image on the screen upside down and pressing Ctrl Alt up arrow will bring it back to normal. This method only works with some graphics cards. If this keyboard shortcut does not work for you, select your version of Windows from the list above and follow these instructions|
|If not all settings are displayed||If you cannot find any utilities or rotation settings, open Display Properties by clicking Start Settings Control Panel and double-clicking the display icon. In the display properties, check the settings tab that might help fix the problem. Always install the latest Windows updates to keep your video drivers up to date|
Disable screen rotation lock
Click on the lock icon. If the screen orientation is locked, it will be red on a white background. When you click on this icon, a line appears at the top of the Control Center that says “Portrait Orientation: Off.” After that, the icon will become transparent like the others next to it. Let’s unlock your iPhone. We open any application that supports changing the position of the screen. You can just open a photo. Checking the screen rotation.
Rotate iPhone right or left 90 degrees. This should force the screen to do the same. If the running program supports screen rotation, then it will appear in front of you in landscape mode.
When turning the gadget, you need to hold it either sideways (landscape orientation) or in a vertical position (portrait orientation) with the screen facing you. If in landscape mode you activate the screen rotation lock again, the screen will return to vertical mode automatically.
If you purchased your device less than a year ago, it may be worth taking it to a service center
Through the curtain of notifications
The quickest way to enable the feature on your Samsung Galaxy S9 S10 is to use the notification shade. Gadget owners will have to:
- Pull the curtain down;
- Find an icon with the inscription auto-rotate or a corresponding picture;
- Click on it “
- Make sure the icon color has changed
If the desired icon is missing, you will have to click on the pencil image and add the desired button to the top control panel yourself.
How to flip the screen on a laptop: keyboard shortcut
Let’s first figure out how to rotate the screen using the keyboard. Not all computers support screen rotation using hotkeys. On some laptops, this function may be disabled by the device manufacturer.
Now we are going to see how to rotate the screen on a laptop that has integrated Intel graphics. On devices with video cards from other manufacturers, this method most likely will not work.
In order to flip the screen, the following key combinations are used:
- “Ctrl” “Alt” “”. return the default screen orientation to its original position.
- “Ctrl” “Alt” “→”. rotate the screen 90 degrees to the right.
- “Ctrl” “Alt” “←”. rotate the screen 90 degrees to the left.
- “Ctrl” “Alt” “”. flip the screen upside down.
This method will not work on stationary computers.
How to enable auto-rotate on Android
Automatic rotation on Android devices is activated and deactivated in three ways.
- The most intuitive option is to open the top notification curtain. In it, by default, there is an item “Auto-rotate screen” with the image of a tablet and a circular arrow around it. If this icon is highlighted (usually blue), then the option is enabled. If it is dimmed, then it is off. Just tap the icon to turn the function on or off.
- If you do not like the previous option, or it is simply inconvenient, you can move the auto-rotate icon to the desktop as a widget. Hold your finger on the desktop and when the personalization menu appears, scroll down to the Widgets tab or find it. In the widgets, select auto-rotate (the label and icon are exactly the same as in the previous paragraph).
This option is available only on devices with the Android 4.2 and higher operating system.
- The last option is in the settings. Going to them, click on the item “Accessibility”, then open the section “Auto-rotate the screen” and uncheck or put a checkmark in front of this inscription.
You can also turn off auto-rotate by turning on the power saving mode. Of course, in addition to this, other related energy saving settings are activated.
The connection of this mode with the rotation of the display is that when the power saving is active, most of the sensors are turned off. Including accelerometer.
How to restore the auto-rotate screen function in case of system and program crashes
If the previous step did not help, go to the next one.
- Reboot the machine. This will eliminate temporary system errors.
- Remove apps that you installed shortly before the problem occurred.
- Scan your device for viruses.
- Reset Android Settings to Factory State.
If screen rotation stops working after manipulating system files on devices with root, a rollback to factory settings will not help. If it is not possible to fix what has been changed manually, only a flashing will save.
An accelerometer is a sensor built into your phone’s processor. With its help, the gadget determines its position in space. During the operation of this sensor, intermittent failures and errors may occur, as with other components. The following points indicate accelerometer failures:
- the auto-rotate display function turns off spontaneously after being turned on;
- when the automatic screen flip mode is activated, the phone starts vibrating, while the function is not activated;
- auto-rotate periodically works fine.
If the accelerometer fails, it is recommended to do the following:
- OS Android update;
- reflash the device;
- reset smartphone settings to factory settings.
Screen does not rotate on iPhone. how I solved this problem?!
Hello everyone! Once again, an incident from life becomes a topic for an article. So, just yesterday, my iPhone behaved in a blatant and most inappropriate way. it completely refused to flip the screen. How I just didn’t twist and rotate it (well, maybe I didn’t throw it against the wall)
There was no reaction. the image froze in vertical orientation and the point.
On the one hand, the functionality of the phone did not suffer greatly from this. Just think, just a picture or video does not toss and turn! There were even more serious problems. On the other hand if something breaks, then you have to do it! And, looking ahead, I will note that I was still able to fix the screen rotation at home. How? I’ll tell you everything now. Go!
As usual, a small but important note.
This manual will not contain any smart words about the accelerometer and gyroscope (we will talk about them in a separate article). Here is an exclusively personal experience of dealing with a screen that does not change its orientation on an iPhone and nothing more.
- We check that the application supports auto-rotate the screen. Not all programs are equally useful for flipping the display. It is best to check in standard Safari and Notes. in these applications everything should turn and turn “as it should”.
- Turn off the screen orientation lock function. Yes, yes, yes, there is such a thing in the iPhone. Where is it activated? In Control Center (swipe up at the bottom of the screen). Swept away? Did you see the lock inside the arrow icon? This is orientation lock. Turn on. iPhone screen does not flip. Disable. the coup works.
- Go to “Settings. Screen and Brightness. Increase display”. Be sure to expose “Standard”. However, for this reason, auto-rotate does not work only on iPhone Plus versions. If your iPhone is “regular”, then you don’t even have to go here.
- We do a hard reboot (instructions for all iPhone models). In some cases, the screen may freeze due to iOS crashes and glitches. Recently, this is quite normal. Fortunately, most of these “glitches” are solved by a hard reboot. be sure to do this procedure. Time will take 1 minute, and it will bring a lot of benefits!
- Recovering the firmware. But this procedure will take much longer. And it should be done only when you want to exclude absolutely all “software” reasons for the failure of the gyroscope and accelerometer. Restored the firmware. auto-rotate did not work. it means that the hardware is to blame. it’s time to go to the service.
I’ll say right away, I didn’t even get to the 5th point.
Although, to be honest, there was such a thought. I already started dusting off iTunes in order to make a backup.
But everything turned out to be much simpler. In my case, it looked like this:
- Twisted the iPhone. the screen does not rotate.
- Did a hard reboot.
- I remembered the article about the absence of vibro (one of the solutions to the problem is simple tapping on the body).
- I thought. why not?
- Knocked, turned, shook the phone (everything is soft enough. without the use of brute physical force).
- Repeated hard reboot.
- Auto-rotate is working.
I do not know which of all of the above led to a positive result (something “shorted out” from shocks or multiple reboots worked), but the goal was achieved. the picture on the display flips over without any problems. But for how long? We’ll see…
Updated! It helped for a long time. A couple of years have passed since the article was written, and the author only once encountered a “repetition”. However, everything was decided “according to the old scheme” 🙂
How to tell if a gyroscope has stopped working
It’s easy enough to understand that something is wrong with your smartphone. First, make sure that you are not exaggerating the problem. the auto-rotate screen on the iPhone may not work in some applications (for example, the picture stops rotating when watching a video), and also if the device is lying on a horizontal surface. In addition, the screen rotation usually takes some time. 1-2 seconds (this is the principle of the gyroscope, therefore such delays are normal).
But in some cases, flipping the screen does not work for objective reasons. There are several main symptoms of the problem:
- when changing the position of the phone, the display does not flip
- the desktop on the iPhone screen changes position arbitrarily (does not correspond to the change in the position of the mobile device)
- the desktop does not always rotate
It should be borne in mind that this function should not work in all applications. To believe if there really is a problem with the auto-rotate screen, you need to enter one of the standard applications. The manufacturer recommends using the “Calculator” for this. If the size and orientation of the calculator does not change when you rotate the screen, then something is wrong with your iPhone, and you need to find out the cause of the malfunction.
The most difficult reason why the image may stop rotating is mechanical failure. The fact is that a gyroscope is a rather fragile part of mobile gadgets. It breaks most often when dropped or hit. Mechanical failure usually has a characteristic feature. it manifests itself gradually:
- at first, when you rotate the screen, the gadget starts to react incorrectly
- then on the screen, the desktop can be rotated several times, regardless of your actions
- in the end, the image just stops rotating when the position of the gadget is changed
Auto-rotate screen doesn’t work on iPhone
And get the best deals from trusted masters.
- Compare and choose the best conditions
- Feedback from interested professionals only
- Don’t waste time communicating with intermediaries
Many owners of a trendy gadget do not know what to do if screen rotation on the iPhone does not work. One of the nicest features of the new Apple models is putting the device into the so-called landscape mode. This function is provided using a small device called a gyroscope. It happens that the device itself fails or the operating mode of the smartphone does not allow the screen to turn into a convenient mode. How to distinguish one reason from another and what to do at the same time. we will find out further.
Zoom mode enabled
On iPhone 6 Plus, 6S Plus, 7 Plus models, the reason may be that the zoom option is enabled. In this mode, the icons on the display will be larger, which greatly simplifies the interaction with small menu items, but the picture does not turn over following the user’s actions. To remedy the situation, you need to take several steps:
- go to settings
- select the item “Brightness”
- further in the zoom menu, select the line “View”, then click on the button “Standard” and “Install”
After that, the screen rotation should work as usual. you can also check this through the “Calculator”.
Auto rotation lock
Most often, screen rotation on the iPhone does not work for the simplest reason. this option is simply disabled. It’s easy to check. when the option is disabled, the corresponding icon is displayed in the status bar (a lock with an arrow in a circle). If you find it on your phone screen, the troubleshooting algorithm is simple:
- go to settings (swipe up from the bottom of the screen)
- click on the icon described above
- check if the problem has been fixed using the “Calculator” application
When is the best time to turn to professionals
If the gyroscope itself in the iPhone stops working, you will not be able to repair it yourself. Contact Apple Service Center if the gadget is under warranty. At the same time, be prepared to wait. iPhone warranty repair usually takes a lot of time, since it includes expertise and full diagnostics of not only the monitor, but the entire device. If you are not ready to wait so long, then contact the specialists registered on the Yuda website.
Interfering modes enabled
Owners of recent iPhones like 6 Plus, 6S Plus, 7 Plus may also wonder why the screen on their iPhones doesn’t flip. In their case, this may be due to the fact that the zoom function is turned on. This mode allows you to display larger icons. This is very convenient for using small menu items, but prevents the image from rotating. In order to rectify the situation, you need:
- go to “Settings”;
- select the item “Brightness”;
- in the zoom menu, find and select the line “View”, then click on the button “Standard” and “Install”;
- check in the “Calculator”.
The most unpleasant and difficult to fix reason why the screen does not flip on an iPhone can be hidden in a mechanical breakdown. The gyroscope is very fragile and often breaks when the device is dropped or when it is hit hard. The peculiarity of mechanical failure is that its consequences begin to appear gradually:
- iPhone starts to react incorrectly when you rotate the screen;
- then the orientation of the desktop on the screen begins to change several times, regardless of the change in the position of the smartphone in space;
- eventually the image stops flipping at all.
Signs of a malfunctioning gyroscope
It is very easy to understand that the gyroscope has stopped working. There are a number of signs that indicate a problem:
- the screen image does not turn over when the position of the gadget in space is changed;
- the desktop does not always rotate, arbitrarily changes its position and does not coincide with the position of the device.
It should be borne in mind that the screen may not rotate when the iPhone is on a horizontal surface. In addition, not all programs support auto-rotate, so the best way to check if the gyroscope is working properly is to launch some standard application, such as Calculator. If the orientation and dimensions of the calculator do not change when you rotate the smartphone, the problem exists.
Details on why the screen does not flip on iPhone
Often before the new iPhone owners, the question arises about why the screen on the iPhone does not flip. The fact is that this opportunity is provided by a small device built into the device. a gyroscope, and it, like any other part, may fail, but the reason may be different. How to find out why the screen does not flip on iPhone and what to do about it?
If the reason for the inoperative rotation of the screen is still a mechanical breakdown, it will not be possible to fix the problem without a specialist. It is recommended that you contact an Apple Service Center, especially if your iPhone is under warranty. It should be remembered that the warranty repair of the device often takes some time, because specialists carry out diagnostics and a full examination of not only the display, but the entire smartphone as a whole.
Incorrectly set settings
First you need to follow the simplest steps: restart your iPhone and dig into the settings. Very often, the reason may be that the function is simply turned off.
It’s easy to check. when the option is disabled, a characteristic icon appears in the status bar (an image with a lock and an arrow that goes in a circle). If your smartphone has this icon, then here’s how to launch the function that will flip the screen on iPhone:
- go to “Settings” using the “swipe”, up on the main screen from the bottom of the display;
- find and click on the icon described above;
- check the work of auto-rotate in the “Calculator”.
We hope this article helped you in solving the problem, and now you know why the screen does not flip on iPhone. If the reason is still hardware, then we strongly do not recommend that you carry your smartphone to certified workshops, you can be deceived in them.