Computer can’t see iPhone? There is a solution
Despite the fact that modern iOS devices may well do without a computer, there are scenarios in which you still have to access it. It is quite logical that at the junction of technologies certain roughnesses may arise, and it is with such questions that we will try to understand this material.
One of the common problems when working with iTunes is the inability to detect the connected device. There may be several reasons for this, but often a failure occurs in the trusted connection mechanism, when keys are saved on both gadgets for subsequent authorization. By default, the request “Trust this computer” should be displayed the next time you connect, but the other day the author encountered the exact opposite situation, when after a negative response from the user, the request was not repeated. The problem can be solved as expected in a few simple steps.
Let’s start, as expected, with the “native” for iOS and iTunes environment. the OS X operating system. Of course, due to hardware-software integration, problems arise here less often, but no one is immune from accidents. So, if the iPhone stubbornly doesn’t want to trust your Mac, you can try clearing the contents of the special Lockdown system directory. To do this, disconnect the iOS device from the computer, execute the [cmd] [shift] [G] key combination (or select the “Go to folder” item in the “Go” menu of the OS X menu bar) and go to / var / db / lockdown /. In the window that opens, one or several (depending on the number of synchronized devices) certificate files will appear, which you need to delete.
For Windows OS, with which “persistence” your humble servant faced, the essence of the procedure remains the same. The only difference here, apart from the different location of the “culprit”, is the need to display hidden files and folders. To do this, open the Control Panel from the “Start” menu and go to the “Folder Options” section, where on the “View” tab, select the parameter of the same name. As for the address, it differs for different versions of Windows.
Windows XP: C: \ Documents and Settings \ All Users \ Application Data \ Apple \ Lockdown
Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10: C: \ ProgramData \ Apple \ Lockdown
If the above manipulations did not solve the problem, for the OS from Microsoft there is a more complex method associated with the driver of a mobile device and described by a YouTube user with the nickname STOK SHOK.
The final touch is to click on the “Next” button and complete the driver installation procedure. Now you can open iTunes to check the device is working.
We hope these tips will help your gadgets find common ground. As usual, do not forget to look in the GENIUS section, where you can ask a question regarding the use of Apple technology, send screenshots to. and also inform the company about the problems found through a special web form. Stable work for you!
The computer does not see the phone via USB. why and how to fix it
If you are faced with the fact that the phone does not connect via USB, that is, the computer does not see it to transfer files, but only charging occurs, while the connection sound is played, this manual provides details on how to fix this and enable the ability to view content phone memory when connected via USB cable.
The steps below are suitable for both latest and previous Android phones in case the smartphone is not visible after connecting via USB on a computer with Windows 10, 8.1, Windows 7 and XP or Mac OS.
Checking phone operation (MTP device) in device manager
- Open Device Manager on your Windows 10, 8.1, or Windows 7 computer while your phone is connected. To open Device Manager, you can press the WindowsR keys on your keyboard, type devmgmt.msc, and press Enter. Windows is the OS logo key.
- See if there is a device in the device manager named MTP (MTP Device, MTP Device) or the name of your phone (may be in the “Portable Devices” section).
- If there is, double click on it, go to the Driver tab, click Update driver. Search for drivers on this computer. Select from a list of available drivers on your computer and see the list. If it has more than one compatible device, try to select a different driver than the one currently installed, usually you need to select “USB MTP device”.
- If no new devices appear in the manager when disconnecting and connecting the phone via USB, this is another argument in favor of problems with the cable, connector on the phone or computer.
on this topic, if the device is displayed in the device manager with an exclamation mark, in a separate instruction Incorrect service installation section in this MTP INF file.
Why Android phone is not visible on the computer via USB and only charging takes place. simple reasons and solutions
Before proceeding with additional methods for solving the problem when the phone is not visible through the USB connection, I recommend paying attention to the following simple points: very often the reason turns out to be one of the following:
- If you took a USB connection cable from a non-original cheap charging or bundled with another device (for example, to charge wireless headphones or another device that is not intended for receiving and transmitting data), then this may be the reason: not all cables can transmit data, there are no corresponding contacts, and outwardly it is not noticeable. The solution is a working cable with guaranteed data transfer capability.
- If you are faced with the fact that when you connect a smartphone to a computer, it is not visible, and recently the phone was repaired and something related to the board or connector was repaired, it is highly likely that the repair caused the problem: very often the connectors are soldered so that after that only charging works properly. The solution is just to redo.
- If you have Mac OS, just install Android File Transfer app for data transfer capability, official website: https://www.Android.com/filetransfer/
- If you still have Windows XP, install the MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) driver. https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?ID=19153
Additionally, keep in mind that connecting even with a working cable through a USB hub (USB port splitter) to a faulty USB connector on a computer or laptop, and sometimes to the front panel of a PC may cause the problem under consideration. Try a direct connection to USB, another connector, the back of the PC, if connected to a USB 3.0 connector (usually blue). check if the problem persists when connecting to USB 2.0.
And the last simple point: after connecting the phone to the computer, in order for it to appear in the explorer with the ability to view photos, videos and other files, you need:
- Unlock the phone when connected, if it is locked. you will not be able to access data on locked modern Android phones.
- In the notification area, click on the USB connection notification (by default, most phones are connected only for charging). If the notification does not appear, more precisely, it does not say that this is a USB connection, but only a text about charging, then from the “point of view” of the phone, the connection does not serve for data transfer (wrong cable, damaged cable, connector on the phone or computer) Below are screenshots with the appearance of the notification on pure Android 9 and 8, on Samsung Galaxy and on Android 6-7.
- Select MTP file transfer mode for USB connection. On older versions of Android, there may also be an item for connecting as USB Mass Storage, it will also work, and it may work even better.
If the listed methods did not help, let’s move on to more complex fixes.
How to fix if the computer does not see the phone connected via USB. additional methods
If your phone does not connect via USB to a data-capable computer, but only charges, try the following methods to fix the problem.
Why can’t my computer see my iPhone photo?
Your OS recognizes the iPhone just like a digital camera and can copy images from it just like from a memory card.
- After establishing a connection with a cable and after 5 seconds, as a rule, the standard application “Image Capture” automatically starts. If this does not happen, you can open it manually (located in the program section);
- All images will be presented in the opened window of this utility. At the same time, copying them is quite simple: you need to select the necessary ones and transfer them to a specific folder.
- We connect the gadget to the PC. In just 5 seconds, you will see an autoload pop-up window on the screen. If this does not happen, then you need to go to “My Computer” and open the iPhone as a Portable Device (for the seventh Windows) or as a camera, if you have WinXP;
- Next, open the storage of the iPhone itself, and then go to the DCIM folder. Its contents are, as a rule, two or three folders, which contain photos and video files;
- We find our photos and copy those that need to be uploaded to the computer;
- Paste it into the folder previously created on the PC. After importing the files, you can unplug the cord from the computer.
Note. When the iPhone is connected to the computer for the first time, a message will appear on the iPhone screen with the question: “Trust this device?” Of course, if you want to transfer photos, then you need to select “trust”.
If you still can’t import photos to your computer, or your computer doesn’t recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch as a camera, follow these steps.
How to transfer photos from iPhone to computer via WI-FI?
In addition to connecting by wire, photo transfer can also be done wirelessly. Before starting the transfer, you will need to sync via Wi-Fi.
From a computer, you first need to connect the device using a cable and open iTunes. On the left side of the window, in the “Devices” block, select the iPhone or iPad for synchronization. In the “Overview” tab in the “Parameters” block, you will need to put a checkbox opposite “Synchronization. devices via Wi-Fi “. Now the gadget will automatically sync when it is on the same network with a computer with iTunes installed.
Synchronization can be started from the phone via the device settings. To do this, in the “General” menu, you will need to select the “Sync with iTunes via Wi-Fi” item. The presence of synchronization is indicated by an icon in the phone’s tray. The device now appears as connected. Consequently, all actions on it can be performed in the same way as when connecting using a conventional cable. twisted pair.
Try using a different computer
If the camera does not appear in Device Manager, check the health of your iOS device by connecting it to another computer. If the iOS device is recognized as a camera on another computer, contact Microsoft or other Windows support on your computer for help.
Apple iOS 7 doesn’t trust my computer. Problems transferring photos from iPhone
There is a cruel way if all attempts to enter a password have been exhausted and there is no computer that your iPhone would “trust”.
- Connect iPhone to your computer using the USB cable that comes with the standard kit.
- Apple iPhone will appear among all devices, a personal computer will recognize it as a digital camera.
- To access the Lockdown folder, run the Finder program in Mac OS. In other operating systems, the window of trust in iPhone, iPad and iPod touch is also invoked by clearing the Lockdown folder on the computer.
- After “trusting” on the computer, iTunes sees the iPhone.
- You must wait for the computer to detect the digital camera. Then you need to go into the device, select the photos, copy them to the clipboard and move them to a folder on your computer. With the help of iTunes, you can transfer not only photos to your computer, but also music, ringtones, videos and much more. First, you need to connect your iPhone to your computer with a USD cable. When the computer beeps to notify that a new device is found, open iTunes.
- If the iPhone is configured with email, then photos can be sent via e-mail, and then transferred to a computer. You can transfer photos without connecting a USB cable to your computer; this can be easily done through the shared folder of the Yandex cloud service.
Transferring images via iCloud
Check if you can use iCloud Music Library or My Photo Stream
If you’ve turned on iCloud Music Library on your Mac and iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, your photos may already be on your computer.
You can go to iCloud.com and open the Photos app to view your entire library and select photos to import. If you haven’t turned on iCloud Music Library, try using My Photo Stream to access your photos on your computer.
iPhone and iPod Not Showing Up On Computer FIX. Windows 10/8/7
If you are not using iCloud Music Library or My Photo Stream, try these steps.
- Check connections and update software.
- Try importing photos using a different Apple USB cable.
- If the import still fails, update the software.
- Download the latest iTunes.
- Try to import photos again.
Import photos using cloud services
An excellent alternative to the second method, because by using auxiliary cloud services, you can quickly throw a large number of photos from your iPhone to your computer. To do this, you need a good Internet connection, as well as a registered account in one or several services: Yandex.Disk, DropBox, Cloud.With a small number of images, even e-mail is suitable.
- transfer photos from your iPhone to a file hosting service;
- then download the downloaded files from a file hosting service, but only through a computer.
As you can see, copying photos from iPhone to computer is absolutely easy. With a hand filled, you can transfer footage in less than 5 minutes.
Error starting Apple Mobile Device service
Restarting your mobile device or laptop helps to resolve the desynchronization issue. It happens that the PC fails to start the Apple Mobile Device service. It can be hindered by third-party software or a common “glitch” that can be fixed by restarting this service. The way to fix incorrect work is to reinstall, which is done simultaneously with reinstalling all software components of iTunes.
The main reason for not connecting the device to the PC is a faulty or damaged connecting cable. Inspect the existing USB cable for damage. There are times when the contacts are damaged inside the wire (visually it is difficult to identify) and the computer does not see the iPhone. To check, compare the operation of the device with another cable: if the problem is in the accessory, then everything will work out. Are you convinced that the cord is damaged? You can solve the problem as follows:
- purchase a new cable;
- try to fix it yourself;
- contact a specialized service center.
Why the computer does not see the iPhone
The most common response when asked why the computer can’t see the iPhone is an iTunes connection issue. Sometimes, to solve this problem, you need to press the confirmation of the connection to the PC on the mobile device. If after this action the PC does not see the iPhone, it is worth checking the functionality of the USB port. Problems can arise due to old versions of programs, applications and drivers for the motherboard chipsets. In other cases, the consultation of the master will help to find out the cause of the situation.
How to connect iPhone to computer via USB
Each Apple mobile gadget comes with a connecting cable. It connects the iPhone to a computer via USB like a flash drive for the purpose of sharing videos, files, photos, and more. In addition, you will need a PC with the latest version of iTunes installed. The disadvantage of this method is physical attachment to a stationary PC or laptop. The process goes through the stages that are important for you to complete:
- connect the USB cable to the device;
- connect to PC;
- next is the installation of iTunes (if this program has not been installed earlier);
- starting and configuring synchronization.
What to do if your computer can’t see your iPhone
Users may face an issue where an invalid iPhone response is received when trying to connect. This often happens due to the Lockdown folder in Apple software files. The fix for this problem is simple. Windows users need to go to the Apple folder in the Application Data or ProgramData section in Explorer and delete the folder called Lockdown in the trash. After rebooting, iTunes should resume, and the PC will begin to recognize the Apple Communicator.
How to connect iPhone to computer via USB
The complete set of each Apple mobile gadget contains a connecting cable. It connects the iPhone to a computer via USB like a flash drive for sharing videos, files, photos and more. In addition, you will need a PC with the latest version of iTunes installed. The disadvantage of this method is physical attachment to a stationary PC or laptop. The process goes through the stages that are important for you to complete:
- connect the USB cable to the device;
- connect to PC;
- next is the installation of iTunes (if this program has not been installed earlier);
- starting and configuring synchronization.
Dirty and broken iPhone connector
The phone will not connect to the PC if its charging connector is heavily dirty or oxidized. the contacts will not work properly. Self-cleaning should be done carefully using a toothpick with cotton wool.
If several computers cannot see the iPhone, replacing the USB cable and other methods described above does not help, most likely the power connector on the phone is out of order. In this case, the device must be taken to the service center for diagnostics.
Tip: learn how to recover your Apple ID if you’ve forgotten your account password.
Outdated or incompatible version of iTunes
ITunes is used to work with phone files on a computer. If the PC does not see the iPhone, it may have an outdated or incompatible version of the application installed on it.
How To FIX iPhone Not Showing Up In/On My Computer
The latest iTunes modification is available from the links on the official sites of Apple and Microsoft:
To update an already installed program, you will have to:
- On Windows:
- Launch iTunes.
- In the top menu bar, open the “Help” section and click “Check for an update”.
- Follow system prompts until installation is complete.
Incorrect operation of USB drivers
Synchronization of iPhone with a computer is carried out using special drivers for Apple. Damage and the use of an outdated version of these files is the most common reason why a smartphone is not displayed on a PC. To update drivers, you need to:
- Connect iPhone to PC or Laptop.
- Enter the control panel and go to “Device Manager”.
- Find your iPhone under Portable (Handheld) Devices.
- Right-click on the name of the phone and click “Update driver”.
- In the window that opens, select the option “Automatic search”.
Tip: If you can’t remember your device passcode or it’s disabled, learn how to unlock your iPhone.
For Windows computers (iTunes downloaded from Apple site):
- Connect your phone via USB. If iTunes opens automatically, close the program.
- Press the Win R combination on the keyboard.
- In the Run window, copy the following command:% ProgramFiles% \ Common Files \ Apple \ Mobile Device Support \ Drivers.
- Right-click on the usbaapl64.INF or usbaapl.INF file and click “Install”.
- Restart the PC and reconnect the phone.
On Mac computers:
- Connect iPhone to USB, unlock device and go to Home screen.
- Hold down the “Option” key on a Mac, enter the Apple menu and go to the “System Information (Report)”.
- In the list on the left, click “USB” in the subsection “Hardware”.
- If the iPhone is visible in the “USB Structure”, the user needs to install the latest version of the macOS operating system and related updates.
- Remove third-party (non-Apple) software from your computer.
- If your device still won’t connect, contact Support Apple.
The USB cable is damaged or does not fit
Problems with device detection may arise already at the stage of connecting the iPhone or iPad to the computer. The USB cable causes a problem in 2 cases:
- The cord is damaged. the contacts are out of order, there was a break in the wires under the insulating sheath. Most often, cable breakage occurs with strong bending.
- A non-original cord is used. iPhone cannot be connected to a computer using USB cables designed for phones from other manufacturers. Also, the owner of the iPhone may get a low-quality or fake wire.
Tip: Learn how to sync iPhone with your computer so you can access your photos, music, and other PC files from your phone.
Malfunction and conflicts of USB ports on a PC
The computer may not see the smartphone due to other devices connected via USB: speakers, headphones, printer, etc. In this case, disconnect all devices except the mouse and keyboard.
It is also possible that one of the USB ports on the laptop or PC is broken and cannot see any devices. You can check the health of the connector by inserting a USB flash drive into it. To connect the iPhone and iPad, it is recommended to use the ports located on the back of the system unit. they are directly connected to the computer motherboard, therefore they are more reliable and better responsive.
The computer does not see the jailbroken phone
On older iPhone models, jailbreak was possible, which allowed expanding the functionality of the gadget. If the phone has undergone a similar operation, there may be problems with its detection on the laptop and PC. In this situation, it is recommended to put iPhone into DFU emergency mode for automatic recovery:
- Turn off the smartphone and connect it to the PC with a USB cable.
- Open iTunes app.
- Press simultaneously the power and Home buttons on the phone. Keep them in this position for about 10 seconds.
- Release the power key, and hold “Home” for about 20 seconds.
- iTunes will display the following alert on the laptop screen.
Apple Mobile Device USB Driver is not displayed
For your computer to see your iPhone or iPad, you need to have USB controller drivers on your PC. To check its installation, you should:
- Expand USB Controllers Section.
- Find a file called “Apple Mobile Device USB Driver”.
If the driver you are looking for is not displayed, or if you see “Unknown device” in the manager, 2 solutions are offered:
- use a new USB cable to connect your iPhone;
- connect your phone to another computer.
If the driver is listed but shown with an error icon, you need to restart the Apple Mobile Device service:
- Close iTunes and disconnect all Apple devices from computer.
- Open the “Control Panel”, select the “Administrative Tools” section, start the “Services” application.
- In the menu that opens, put “Startup type”. automatically. Sequentially click on the buttons “Stop”, then “Run” and “OK”.
- To restart a computer.
- If the problem persists, disable antivirus, Windows Firewall and repeat the procedure.
What to do if your computer can’t see your iPhone?
For the convenience of working with files saved on the iPhone, the owner of the gadget can connect it to the computer. Sometimes, when connected, the PC does not see the device. The main reasons for this problem are outdated software, damaged drivers, hardware breakdown. In most cases, the user has the opportunity to fix the problem himself.