Face ID. unlock your smartphone using your face
It’s not news that Apple creates revolutionary things that later become the benchmark for the smartphone business. This was the case with Touch ID, which appeared in the iPhone 5s and has become a musthave element for modern devices. This time, Apple has prepared Face ID technology, which, as expected, other smartphone companies will try to copy and use, because it is hard to deny that this is truly a breakthrough innovation. In this article, we will go through this technology in detail, consider its main advantages and disadvantages, and draw our conclusion.
Face ID. what is it, how it works
What is Face ID? It is a secure authentication system that is able to unlock the device and pay for purchases by recognizing the owner’s face.
Provide this capability with TrueDepth cameras, which work together to scan, perceive, and recognize a structural map of your face. A few words about the components of the system:
- Point Projector. about 30,000 invisible points are projected onto your face, creating an individual map taking into account all the outlines of your face;
- Infrared camera. is responsible for the process of reading information about the dot structure, creates an image in the infrared spectrum and transfers the data to the Secure Enclave module, which is built into the A11 Bionic processor (at this stage, the conformity and comparison of the face and the set early dot structure of the owner’s face are checked) ;
- IR emitter. emitting an invisible beam of infrared light that allows iPhone X to recognize your face even in the dark.
Face ID is a powerful security system that cannot be tricked by photos. To unlock the iPhone X, you need to look specifically at your smartphone. with closed eyes or looking at the floor, it will not work to wake up the smartphone. over, the system works even at night. Fans of experiments with appearance should not worry: Face ID will react to you, even if you grow a beard, put on glasses, paint or put on a winter hat and scarf.
When creating a 3D model of a face, the Face ID system is more compromise and easy to use, which cannot be said about the iris scanner from Samsung, where unlocking a smartphone requires clarity and dexterity. matching your eyes and scanners while walking, you must agree, is more difficult.
Face ID versus Touch ID
It is no wonder that Apple lovers will be divided into two camps: adherents of the Face ID innovation and seasoned oldfags, lovers of Touch ID. It’s hard to say which is better, we have only facts. For example, for a fingerprint scanner, the chances of unlocking an incorrect fingerprint are 1:50 000. But unlocking with Face ID allows several times fewer errors. 1: 1 000 000. Of course, it is quite difficult to compare the speed of the two systems, but hypothetically Taking into account all the owner’s movements aimed at activating the smartphone, Face ID will remain simpler, more convenient and faster. unlocking occurs with just one movement. it’s like looking in a mirror. But the twins with the iPhone 10 will have to get nervous. most likely, the system will not find the differences between you and your sister or brother, and fingerprints, after all, are a unique sign.
Do I need to use Face ID?
No, not required. You can use a password.
How Face ID works?
The technology uses an infrared emitter (emitter) and a sensor called TrueDepth. With their help, Face ID directs infrared rays from 30 thousand points to the scanned face, and then catches their reflection.
Next, the system analyzes the received data, measuring the depth and angle of reflection of each point, and creates a 3D face map.
The same system is used to create Animoji. animated emoji that mimic your facial expressions.
Is Face ID equally good at recognizing people with different skin colors??
We hope Apple has taken into account the mistakes of other manufacturers that use machine learning in their products (there are cases when black people could not use a “smart” hand dryer, because it recognized hands by color), and its scanner will equally well recognize people of different racial accessories.
Machine learning, used to train voice recognition systems, images, and the like, is based on databases. It takes hundreds of millions of samples to teach a system to recognize something. Previously, these samples were usually collected from white males, which led to the incorrect operation of systems trained using machine learning. However, Craig Federighi, Apple’s senior vice president of software development, told TechCrunch that Face ID training data samples were collected from around the world. According to Phil Schiller, the company managed to get a billion images, but you need to understand that a billion images does not mean photos of a billion people. The exact number of people whose samples were used to train Face ID is unknown.
The data received by Face ID is stored strictly on the user’s device, which means that the system cannot actually determine the accuracy of the algorithm it uses for a single person. From a security point of view, this approach is ideal, but it can lead to rather strange results. “We do not collect user data while setting up Face ID, it remains on the device. We do not send data to the cloud for training, ”said Federighi.
What is Face ID for?
Exactly how the in-app purchase confirmation process using the face scanner will take place is unclear. Currently, a Touch ID icon appears in applications, and the user must put their finger on the sensor. Whether it will be necessary to first click on the Face ID icon, and then scan the face, or the scanning will occur immediately automatically, it is not clear.
Get Face id in any iPhone || How to get face id in iphone 6, 6s ,7, 7plus, 8, 8plus
What is Face ID?
Face ID is a system for biometric user authentication. Unlike a password (something you know) and a dongle (something you have), biometric authentication requires you. By the way, identifying a user by fingerprints is also biometric authentication.
Touch ID recognizes the user by the pattern on the fingertips, and Face ID recognizes the unique parameters of the face. According to the manufacturer, the system is capable of:
- Create a highly accurate initial scan of the face, on the basis of which the user will then be identified.
- Compare the resulting face image with the original scan and recognize the user under different conditions.
- Scan a face in different lighting conditions (even in the dark).
- Update the initial scan according to age-related changes, hairstyle, mustache, different eyebrow shapes, etc.
- Prevent third parties from unlocking your device using photographs, disguises and other methods to gain unauthorized access.
Which devices use Face ID?
Face ID is currently only available on the iPhone X. The rest of the new and older iPhones feature Touch ID. It is possible that Apple may make the face scanner a premium feature, available only to owners of top-end models. Nevertheless, judging by past experience, Face ID may well replace the fingerprint sensor already in 2018 models and even in some next updated iPhone SE, if one is destined to appear.
It is likely that the iPad Pro may also receive the new system in the future, but this is unlikely to happen before the second quarter of 2018.
How to set up an initial face scan?
In order to set the initial face image by which the iPhone X can recognize its owner, you need to go to “Settings”, select the “Face ID and password” option and click on “Add face”. Next, using the front camera and infrared sensor, the device will take a picture of your face. The photo will be displayed on the screen surrounded by green markings, after which the mowing line will appear on it, indicating the eyes and nose. You will need to move your photo strictly to the center to get all the necessary facial characteristics.
According to Apple, the chance that someone else will be able to unlock your iPhone by putting their finger on Touch ID is one in 50,000. This is a very low figure, given that there is no way to verify it. As for Face ID, the chances of a false positive is even less. one in 1 million.Nevertheless, as Apple Marketing Director Phil Schiller noted during the iPhone X presentation, the chances increase if the person is closely related to you. (like a twin).
Can Face ID be tricked?
Most likely, the answer to this question is no. Apple has foreseen and implemented so many things that it is not possible to outsmart its face scanner. Other similar systems can be fooled by photographs, plaster models, etc., but not Face ID.
Plaster casts reflect infrared rays differently than living faces, so they’re useless with Face ID.
iPhone X (iPhone 10). how to set up Face ID, how to unlock iPhone 10 with Face ID, how to remove Face ID from iPhone X
How to set up Face ID on iPhone 10. instructions
Not everything is new. complex. Face ID, like Touch ID, uses the registration of user data (in our case, a face), after which the function can be safely used. Now in more detail:
- Let’s say your iPhone X is already on and pretty much all set up. We take the phone, go to the “Settings” menu. “Face ID and password”, click “Save”. Now your iPhone 10 will briefly notify you of your actions on the screen, press the blue “Start” button. The front camera will turn on and you will need to wait a couple of seconds until a circle appears with white marks around it. Registration software will overlay 3D markings on the display to show your line of eyes and face.
- Now you need to slowly roll your head in a circle in any direction until all the marks from white to green. Click “Continue”, and then turn your head in a circle again until progress is made. After a successful scan, the iPhone X will create a 3D model of your face, by which, in fact, it will recognize you.
Full description of Face ID technology
With the release of the iPhone 5S, the fingerprint scanner, referred to as Touch ID, debuted, and for 5 years now this technology has served faithfully not only to owners of iPhones of different generations, but also to users of Android smartphones. 2017 was marked as the year of frameless devices, so all manufacturers began to install a fingerprint scanner on the back. the majority do not like such a decision, what is there to hide. Before the release of the iPhone X, many argued about where Apple would place the Touch ID: some said that it would be located inside the display, the latter stood for the fact that, like everyone else. behind, others predicted Touch ID on the side like Sony smartphones, but the latter were skeptical at all, allegedly they would cut out fingerprinting altogether. Who was right? That’s right, skeptics, however, Touch ID was removed for a reason, it was replaced with advanced technology that will not appear in competitors’ devices for the next year and a half. Face ID.
Face ID. this is another way to protect personal data (the CIA just collected all the prints from you, now it’s time to know everyone in person) from unwanted viewing by third parties. If even a child can already set up the fingerprint scanner, then with Face ID it is somewhat more difficult, since the technology is new. Let’s figure it out.
How to unlock iPhone X using Face ID?
We’ve already set up Face ID on iPhone 10, but how do you use this feature? Everything is very simple, for this:
- Activate the display with the power button.
- Look at the screen until unlocking occurs (fractions of a second). Be sure to keep your eyes open and your head straight if possible.
- Swipe up with your finger to access the desktop.
Which iPhones have a fingerprint
The first iPhone with finger scanning was the 5s, which went on sale in 2013. Users immediately appreciated the advantages of the new product:
- increased level of protection of the gadget from hacking;
- convenience of unlocking the phone.
It was no longer necessary to store a digital code in memory, which positively influenced sales and strengthened the company’s prestige.
What is Touch ID on iPhone 6 and are there any differences from the fingerprint scanner installed on the 5s? Touch ID, installed on iPhones 5s, 6/6 plus, as well as SE, belongs to the first generation, which means that it has the same characteristics and principle of operation.
Apple has placed its fingerprint scanner under the Home button. The principle of operation and settings of the fingerprint has remained unchanged since the installation on the 5 ES and the sixth iPhone. Today, the fingerprint scanner is a must-have program for iPhones 5s, 6/6 s, se, 7/7 plus, 8/8 plus.
Latest iPhone users are waiting for Touch ID to return
The question, is there a fingerprint on the iPhone X and will it appear in later models, interested many? As for the iPhone 10, X, XR, XS, in these smartphones the company’s developers have abandoned Touch ID in favor of the innovative development of Face ID. a high-precision sensor that scans the face of the registered owner.
Interesting! IPhone users accepted the novelty rather coldly, because in the 10th iPhone they expected (as promised by Apple officials) the familiar Touch Aidi, transferred under the phone display.
Touch ID. what is it on the iPhone and how it works
If just a decade ago, fingerprint scanning was associated only with the forensic disciplines or fantasy cinema, now this technology is firmly rooted in the operating systems of mobile phones. Apple is always at the forefront of technical innovations and also has its own unique Touch ID. What is Touch on iPhone? What features does Apple’s development have and what functions does it have?
How to disable fingerprint on iPhone
In the iPhone settings, you can also disable fingerprint scanning if this method of unlocking and confirming actions in various services does not suit the user. Disabling the function may be due to a temporary need.
To disable the set fingerprint password, you need to:
- Open the “Settings” program on the desktop.
- Go to the item “Touch ID and passcode”.
- Enter the requested digital code.
- In the Use Touch ID menu, disable features by dragging the slider to the left.
This way you can turn off the use of your fingerprint to unlock your phone or confirm sign-in and purchases in the iTunes Store and App Store.
iPhone Face ID. All The Tips & Tricks To Know About.
How Touch ID works and what it is for
What is Touch ID on iPhone? The fingerprint scan, patented by Apple in 2008, was first discussed by corporate marketer Phil Schiller during a presentation in 2013. The very idea of introducing a fingerprint scanner into a phone is not new: the Motorola Atrix smartphone, which entered the market in 2011, already had such a function. However, it was not as interconnected with the operating system of the phone as Touch ID on the iPhone.
With Touch ID you no longer need to memorize a numeric code to unlock
The developer has integrated a fingerprint scanner into the Home button. How it works? The button itself is made of sapphire. The coating was chosen not only for its durability, but also for its ability to be used as a powerful lens. The metal ring around the button acts as a sensor that allows you to read your finger pattern. High-precision CMOS sensor recognizes fingerprint from any angle, minimizing the risk of Touch ID malfunction.
Important! The developers claim that each Touch ID is tied to a specific processor, which excludes the operation of the scanner when transferring it to another iPhone.
How to take a fingerprint on iPhone
Setting up a fingerprint is not as difficult as it might seem at first glance. The developers took care of the users by installing detailed instructions in the memory of the phone itself. The main thing is to find where all this is stored. To do this, you need to follow several steps:
- Go to iPhone Settings.
- Select “Touch ID and Passcode”.
- Enter numeric password code.
- Then “Add a fingerprint”.
You need to touch the Home button until the picture on the screen turns red
After that, detailed instructions will appear, following which you need to:
- Place your thumb without pressing the Home button (a fingerprint image with gray lines will appear on the iPhone screen).
- After the vibrating signal, you need to lift your finger and apply it again (when performing this action, the gray mowing lines in the figure will gradually turn red, which indicates the scanner is working).
- Repeat the previous step several times so that the scanner can read the entire pattern (as a result, all mowing lines of the pattern will turn red. scanning of the middle part of the fingertip is complete).
- After filling in the picture and the appearance of a notification about the readiness of the Touch, you need to go to the “Next” button (the scanner will start recognizing the edges of the print).
- Place your finger on the Home button at different angles until a message appears stating that scanning is complete.
- Finally enter and confirm the passcode.
A completely logical question may arise, why do you need to enter a password code if you have Touch ID? You will need a digital cipher in order to confirm the right to enter and edit the Touch ID settings, as well as for emergencies if the fingerprint scanner fails.
Important! Make sure your finger is dry and clean before you start adjusting your fingerprint. Otherwise, the scan may turn out to be distorted.
How to set up fingerprint on iPhone
The fingerprint sensor on iPhone is located on the Home button. Its location has not changed either in models with a stationary button or with a touch. However, like the principle of setting the print.
Going to “Settings” and then to “Touch ID and passcode”, you can register each of your fingers to be sure that in any unforeseen circumstances you will still have access to your smartphone. It is also possible to scan the fingers of friends or relatives, which will give them the right to enter the iPhone.
To set up a fingerprint, you need to take the phone with one hand and put your finger on. The position of the hand should be as comfortable as possible so that it does not cause discomfort during daily use.
An iPhone is usually unlocked using a thumbprint. If an error message appears on the screen while scanning, you need to try again or scan another finger.
Touch ID allows you to enroll multiple fingerprints
To make managing Touch ID settings convenient, when registering more than two prints, it is recommended to assign detailed names. If, when editing the list of fingerprints, you have any difficulties with determining the desired one, you can, while in the “Touch ID and passcode”, touch the “Home” button and the iPhone will display the desired item.
Going to “Settings”. “General”. “Accessibility”. “Home”, you can activate “Open with finger”, after which the iPhone will be unlocked by touch without pressing the button.
How to change fingerprint on iPhone
Apple phones can enroll five fingerprints to be used as peer-to-peer biometric passwords. There are situations when you need to change some of the prints. How to do it? First you need to remove an already enrolled finger.
- In the “Settings” of the phone go to “Touch ID and passcode”.
- When prompted to enter a digital code.
- When a list with registered prints opens, select the one you want to delete.
- Click Remove Finger.
- Complete the deletion with the command “Finish”.
After deleting, the iPhone memory will free up space for a new fingerprint, which can be configured in a known way. Thus, you can remove registered and set new biometric passwords as many times as you like.
When asked about Touch ID (what is it on the iPhone), it’s safe to say that it’s one of Apple’s convenient and reliable development options. The idea is confirmed by the users of the latest iPhones, for whom the face scanner could not replace Touch ID, and the manufacturers themselves, who are thinking about returning the function to their gadgets.
Apple ID myths
- Apple account registration is paid.
An iTunes account (aka Apple ID) is registered absolutely free, if you are offered to create an Apple ID for money, for example, when buying a new iPhone, feel free to refuse, even a schoolboy will be able to register a new Apple ID on his own.
- Credit card required to create Apple ID.
There is a way to register an Apple ID without a credit card.
- Can’t change Apple ID.
You can change the Apple ID at any time from any device (PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Android device, WP device), all you need is access to the Internet.
- On the Manage Apple ID page, click on “Manage Apple ID”.
Forgot Apple ID. throw away your iOS, OSX device.
Do not under any circumstances throw away or sell your iPhone if you have forgotten your Apple ID and do not have access to the mailbox to which it was registered. Access to your Apple ID can be easily restored by contacting Support (link). It is enough to indicate the data entered during registration, the support will do the rest for you.
What user data is stored in Apple ID
- Name, Surname (Patronymic is optional);
- Apple ID in the form of an email address to which the account and password are registered;
- Security questions and answers (to regain control over Apple ID);
- Date of Birth;
- Backup e-mail to restore access to Apple ID;
- Mailing address.
What is an Apple ID for
Creating an Apple ID is not only desirable, but essential, and here’s why.
An Apple ID account allows you to:
Without an Apple ID, it is not possible to fully manage and use all Apple services available for iPhone, iPad and Mac computers.
What is Apple ID?
In the language of an ordinary user, Apple ID is a single account that is used to identify a user in all Apple services: iTunes Store, Apple Store, iCloud, iMessage, iChat, FaceTime.
Everything you need to know about Apple ID (what is Apple ID, what it is for, what data it stores and how to restore access to it)
If you still do not know what an Apple ID is, what it is for, what data it contains about the user and how to restore access to it, the information “under the cut” is just for you.
Useful links to create, edit, recover Apple ID
If in our article you did not find the information that you need, ask in the comments, we will try to provide all the necessary information.
Checking Face ID settings on iPhone
One of the most common problems is system misconfiguration. Face ID may simply not be configured on the user’s iPhone or iPad. If so, then:
- You need to go to “Settings”.
- Select the “Face ID and Passcode” section.
- Click on “Set up Face ID”.
- Make sure that the device is in vertical projection, place it in front of your face and click “Proceed”.
- Place the face in the frame and make circular movements with it according to the instructions so that the sensors can fix it from all sides and take a 3D picture.
- Click “Next” and follow the same procedure.
- Complete the procedure.
If a regular password has not been set, you can specify it in the next step. To select features that use Face ID, you must return to the “Face ID and Passcode” section.
What is Face ID on iPhone
Face ID is a technology that helps you securely unlock your iPhone or iPad, confirm online purchases, sign in to apps, and more with just one glance at the front camera.
Face ID lets you scan your face to log into your iPhone securely
The system compares the user’s face with the photo that the iPhone owner originally entered when setting it up and decides whether to allow him to control the phone or not. The photos themselves are taken with an iPhone 10 using a special camera called the True Depth Camera.
Many were indignant when they saw the area on the new gadget, which is located on the upper front panel, because it does not allow the screen to be fully expanded. This was done for a reason. This area is just teeming with various sensors and scanners. In addition to the usual front-facing camera, microphone, speaker, light and proximity sensors, it manages to fit the backlight system and infrared system.
It is from the latter that the very camera that takes pictures of the face consists. The functionality allows you to photograph a person in 3D, and when checking this image to compare with a person’s face. Infrared illumination is needed in order to take the clearest pictures even in low light conditions.
Important! The sensor directs about 30 thousand invisible points to the face, based on their location and determines whether a person’s face is suitable.
There are times when Face ID does not work on iPhone X. Why this happens and how to fix the problem will be described in the sections below.
Face ID not working on iPhone X. what to do
Modern gadgets have gone far ahead of their predecessors, push-button phones. They have better cameras, more internal and RAM memory, a clear and high-quality display. They are being improved not only in terms of general functionality for entertainment and convenience, but also in security measures. Apple not so long ago announced its development of Face ID, which replaced the fingerprint scanner and the “Home” button completely. This article will explain what Face ID is and why Face ID sometimes doesn’t work on iPhone 10.
Correct phone and face positioning for Face ID to work correctly on iPhone
In order for the system to capture and store a high-quality image, it is necessary to select a suitable room with good lighting. Don’t rely entirely on the infrared sensor to help you take photos in dim light. To create a correct snapshot, you need to:
- Set the phone to scan the owner’s face.
- Place your face straight and towards the light source.
- Place the gadget vertically, that is, the way it is usually held in the hand when surfing the Internet.
- Shooting should be done at arm’s length (ideal range 25 to 50 centimeters).
- The eyes should be looking at the camera at all times. This concerns not only the settings, but also subsequent unlocks.
Keep your phone straight or it may stop scanning your face
Why Face ID may not work on iPhone
The security system may not work in different cases. First of all, you need to make sure that the user’s phone or tablet supports this function. After that, you should follow the steps below and after each of them check if the problem is resolved:
- Check for updates. Make sure your iPhone or iPad is up to date with the latest possible iOS version.
- Check your Face ID system settings. To do this, go to the main menu of the device, find the “Settings” icon there, select the “Face ID and Passcode” section. Make sure the system is configured correctly and the function the person is trying to use is enabled.
- Make sure the camera taking the picture is not covered or stained by anything. If it is covered with a cover or low-quality protective film, the system will not be able to recognize the owner’s face. If this is true, then when trying to set up Face ID, the user will be prompted with a message stating that the camera is obscured, an arrow will appear pointing to the camera itself.
- Make sure that the user’s face is not covered by anything. It is necessary to check whether the nose and mouth are completely visible to the camera. The technology allows you to work with the camera and with sunglasses, but sometimes the latter have a special coating that blocks the infrared color used by the camera. If this is the case, then you need to use Face ID without sunglasses.
- Make sure the user’s gaze is directed exactly towards the camera. Face ID only works if the gadget is in portrait orientation and the person is looking directly at the camera.
- Set up an alternate view. Since people can change over time and the protection system does not recognize them, you can set Face ID to an “alternative view” so that it can recognize a person’s face.
- Try to reset Face ID settings. If none of the above helped, then you need to reset the parameters. To do this, go to the “Face ID and Passcode Settings” and click on the “Reset Face ID” button. After that, the system needs to be configured again by clicking “Configure Face ID”.
Important! There are many reasons for the incorrect operation of the system. It is necessary to check them all step by step and correct them if possible.
All sensors are located on a special panel
Verifying TrueDepth Camera Operation
Before setting the function, make sure that no foreign objects are blocking the view of the camera. You can check the camera in the same settings as in the previous paragraph. If it is closed or smeared with something, the system will notify the user about it. To start the test, you need to place the phone in front of you in portrait orientation at arm’s length or 25-50 centimeters from your face and look directly into the lens.
Note! A breakdown could occur if a non-original (fake) phone was purchased or the gadget fell.
An alternate look is also included with the main settings menu
How to reset Face ID on iPhone
Sometimes you need to completely reset your Face ID settings. This is necessary when the system for some reason does not work correctly, does not identify a person under any pretext, or a person wants to give a phone to his friend for a while. In this case, the parameters are reset. To do this, you must adhere to the following step-by-step instructions:
- Go to the main menu of the phone.
- Find the “Settings” icon and select it.
- Click on the item “Face ID and passcode”.
- Select “Reset”.
It is necessary to change the system settings as a last resort
The article covered what to do if Face ID stopped working on iPhone X and how it should be configured correctly. There are many reasons why the system may not work. You should go through the list and try all possible settings before replacing the device under warranty or buying a new one.
What to do if Face ID isn’t working?
If Face ID does not work, and the iPhone displays a system message about a problem with Face ID, it is most likely that the reasons for this lie in a hardware malfunction of the TrueDepth camera or sensors responsible for recognizing the user’s face.
The reasons for the hardware malfunction, in turn, may be damage to the sensors or the camera when dropped or other mechanical impact, or due to moisture getting inside the phone.
Face ID doesn’t work on iPhone X, iPhone XS, or iPhone XR. What to do?
Face ID takes iPhone security to the next level, introduced with the iPhone X. Future models. iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR. were also equipped with the wearer’s face recognition technology, which works even more quickly. Face ID facial recognition works smoothly and provides the highest level of data security. However, over time, some users may face the fact that Face ID does not work on their phone, or it does not work correctly. Let’s understand the problem in more detail.
Why Face ID doesn’t work?
If Face ID does not work on your iPhone, the reasons for this may be different and by no means always contacting a service center is required to solve them. Let’s take a look at the top reasons why Face ID might not work and how to fix the problem yourself.
- If iPhone doesn‘t recognize your face, check for dirt on the top of the device. where the TrueDepth camera and infrared sensors are located, which are responsible for scanning the face. Thoroughly clean the glass surface and test Face ID afterwards.
- Try turning off the Attention Alert feature. The essence of its work boils down to the fact that the phone will not be unlocked if you do not look at it with emphasis directly. You can disable the function in the phone settings (Settings. General. Accessibility. Attention recognition). It should be noted that disabling this feature can reduce the security of Face ID. to unlock the phone, it will be enough to bring it to your face (even, for example, when you are sleeping).
- Reset Face ID settings. You can also do this through the phone menu (Settings. Face ID and passcode. Reset Face ID). After performing the reset, you will need to re-scan the face and set up Face ID step by step.
- Hard reset your iPhone. You can read about how to do this on devices without a physical Home button in the article “What to do if the iPhone X is frozen and does not respond to anything.”.
In everyday use of the iPhone, there are times when Face ID does not work. he shouldn’t work. The official Apple website provides several options in which this can happen.
- The device was just turned on or rebooted.
- than 48 hours have passed since the device was last unlocked.
- Six and a half days have passed since the last time you unlocked your device with a password, and 4 hours have passed since the last time you used Face ID.
- The device received a command to block from a remote user.
- Five unsuccessful attempts were made to recognize the face.
- The process of turning off the device / starting the “Emergency SOS” function has started (holding one of the volume buttons and the side button at the same time for 2 seconds).
- If the battery charge is below 10%.
In such cases, you may need to enter the passcode set on the device to unlock your phone, or you may need to unlock your iPhone with your Apple ID.
Solutions to the problem if Face ID does not work
If your phone is under warranty, you should seek service under the Apple Warranty Policy. If the phone’s warranty does not apply, or the iPhone is mechanically damaged, our service center can offer a service to replace the iPhone with a new one. As a rule, replacement is made within 10 days (on average, 3-5 days). As a result, you get a brand new phone with an official Apple warranty.
Also, depending on the status of your device and the possibilities of its servicing, we can also offer the exchange of an iPhone for a new one at a special price. 23,500 rubles, similar to the exchange of a device with broken glass. How to do it? Read in our article: “How to Change an iPhone X to a New One at the Price of a Screen Replacement”.
If Face ID does not work for you and you still have questions after reading the article, we invite you in the comments to this article, where the service center staff will be able to answer you promptly. Write, call or come to visit. we will be happy to help in solving problems with your iPhone.
Why FaceID doesn’t work on iPhone
There are several possible options for what could have happened to the phone and the function, and not all of them lead to a repairman. The Apple website has published a list of cases where face recognition works and should not:
- the device was last unlocked with a password more than six and a half days ago;
- FaceID was last used more than 4 hours ago;
- blocked by remote access;
- unsuccessfully used this feature five times in a row;
- the device is currently shutting down or initiating an “Emergency SOS” call;
- low battery power (less than 10%);
- the device was not active for 2 days.
If Face ID does not work for the reason from the list above. use a passcode or Apple ID.
Why Face ID doesn’t work on iPhone X, XS, XR: reasons and how to fix
The Face ID function is a technology that allows you to recognize the owner’s face, which became popular with the launch of the iPhone X. In the future, subsequent models (iPhone XS, XR) began to equip with facial recognition, gradually improving the option and significantly reducing the unlock time. It guarantees the highest security, but it happens that a function works incorrectly or does not work at all. Consider the reasons why FaceID does not work on iPhone X, XS, XR.
Incorrect display replacement
Has FaceID stopped working on iPhone X, XS, XR after a recent visit to the service with it? The function was probably damaged by the technician during the repair. Often this is due to fixing the camera, replacing secondary sensors or display. To avoid such breakdowns, the repair of these parts must be carried out separately from the replacement of FaceID components. But from time to time the masters neglect this rule for one reason or another.
Do not forget to regularly update the operating system, if an error occurs, check if updates have been released. This can be done:
- go to the “Settings” item;
- go to the “Basic” tab;
- scroll down and select the item “Software update”;
- download and install all the necessary updates.
Apple often fixes various bugs in updates.
If the iPhone is unsuccessfully dropped or bumped, it is possible that the True Depth functionality of the system may be damaged. It consists of very fragile parts, namely a point projector, an infrared camera and an infrared emitter, and it is impossible to predict what exactly will break upon impact. In addition, True Depth and the rear lower camera lens are closely related to each other, so if you damage it or its elements, FaceID is also disabled.
Dropped into the water
If the phone gets into water, parts are damaged by moisture. In the future, the problem may arise both because of this, and due to improper disassembly and assembly of the phone. All elements of the True Depth camera, especially the loop, are very sensitive and can cause a short circuit if they get wet. In this case, with each attempt to save information about a new person, a message about a breakdown will be displayed.
Face ID software problems
If you did not drop or chop nuts with your iPhone, then the problem may be related to the software. We all know that software is designed to freeze and fail. If this is your case (and even if not yours) try the following steps:
- STEP 1. Go to Settings. Face ID & Passcode. Reset Face ID
- STEP 2. Hard restart your iPhone by pressing Volume down one by one. Volume. then press and hold the Side button until the screen turns off.
After your device restarts, try setting up Face ID.
If Face ID became unavailable after installing an iOS update, most likely the firmware is “crooked”. The most correct solution would be to connect your phone to your computer and restore it via iTunes with the latest version of iOS installed. If you need instructions, see here.
Unfortunately, in my case, these manipulations did not help, as well as Reset All Settings and Soft Restart. But it should be clear to a hedgehog that after the fall / impact, something inside the iPhone is out of order.
Physical malfunction of Face ID
What exactly could go wrong with Face ID? And here is already HZ. To create a three-dimensional model of your face, the TrueDepth system is used, which consists of sensors and emitters (point projector, IR camera, IR emitter). It is difficult to say what exactly failed on impact.
I’ve searched through many forums and articles about Face ID not working on iPhone X, but I haven’t found a concrete answer yet.
It was possible to find only scraps of information that hint in which direction to dig at all. It turns out the TrueDepth camera is somehow connected to the telephoto lens (the one on the bottom) of the rear camera.
Apple even updated its Face ID troubleshooting routine for Genius Bar employees, where it clearly stated “The first step in troubleshooting Face ID is to try to replace the rear camera module.” If this does not help, the iPhone is replaced with a new one. Even Apple gives up.
From my personal observations of my iPhone X with a faulty Face ID, I can note the following:
- Camera apps take 3-4 times longer to load than usual
- The rear camera works seamlessly. And both lenses. All functions (portrait, slow-mo, etc.) work.
- The front camera works, but Portrait mode no longer blurs the background. Apparently Face ID sensors are involved in determining the contour of your body.
- During a FaceTime call, the front camera does not turn on and the message “Camera is being used by another application” appears on the screen.
- The flashlight (the one built into the rear camera module) now lives its own life. In most cases, it will not turn on when asked. But it can make an exception and light up
The above makes me think that perhaps the problem really lies in the rear camera module. Maybe the plume has moved away slightly, or something has broken off inside the camera itself.
All other phone functions are working properly.
Dropped iPhone X. Face ID is no longer available [Solution]
For a long time I was trying to write an article where I would describe possible problems with Face ID on the iPhone X, XS, XR and their possible solutions. But somehow everyone lacked the experience and desire to seek information. And today, without expecting it, I faced this problem “face to face”. Surprisingly, this word turn has a double meaning here.
Today for the first time I saw on the screen of my iPhone the following message “Failed to activate Face ID on this iPhone”, and when I tried to re-configure everything. “The Face ID function is not available”. It’s a shame, damn it! But let’s talk about everything in order
Why Face ID failed
So, how did my iPhone come to such a life that it doesn’t want to see me now? Everything to the point of being banal is simple. this morning I was fed up with a ladder. Sorry, but another word is hardly suitable here. At the same time, the phone was in the right of his pants.
I landed successfully on the stairs but without fractures. I got off with a couple of solid bruises below the elbow and above the knee well, Face ID ordered to live long.
Apparently, during the 2-second flight, the iPhone hit the stairs, which slid out from under me. Although there is no damage on it, and in the case I always had it.
But the result is still sad. now every time I want to set up Face ID, the message “Face ID is not available Try to set up Face ID later” appears on the iPhone screen.
What conclusion can we make? If you unsuccessfully drop or hit your iPhone X, there’s a good chance Face ID will simply stop working. Why this happens. we will discuss below.
What to do when Face ID is not available
Contact the Apple Store for warranty. And this, in my opinion, is the best way out of this situation. Unfortunately, it is only suitable for iPhones that are still under warranty (usually 1 year). You can check the duration of the warranty by the serial number of the iPhone here on this page.
If your city does not have an official Apple Store or an authorized Apple service representative, the iPhone can always be sent by mail. To do this, you need to contact support (by phone or via chat) and agree to send the device.
What’s more, Apple will provide you with packaging materials and pay for round trip shipping (this should work in most civilized countries).
This is exactly what I did with my iPhone X, which stopped working with Face ID. A friend of mine helped me get in touch with people who provide services for the delivery of defective iPhones from Ukraine to Warsaw. Because the phone is still on the way, I don’t know how it will end. As soon as something becomes clear, I will definitely update the information in this article.
Contact your local workshop. This is a lottery. The problem with unavailable Face ID is not yet well understood. All that general craftsmen can do is check the cables and all internal connectors. If they start swapping modules or individual Face ID sensors, things could get worse. This is usually the case.
Chinese craftsmen have found that the main components of Face ID (IR camera, dot projector and IR emitter) are unique to each iPhone, because tied to a specific motherboard.
From this it follows that the usual repair on the knee is unlikely to work here.
Face ID not available still!
Of course, without Face ID, the iPhone X does not “turn into a pumpkin”, but it is no longer so convenient to use it. Every time you pick up your iPhone, you have to enter a numeric password. And in the online banking application, you also have to remember passwords. But remember. THIS IS NOT THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IN LIFE!
You can still use such a device. Alternatively, you can sell this iPhone at a “sweet price” and buy yourself a new XS.
I, in turn, thank God for taking money, not health. The main thing is that the arms and legs are intact.
Write in the comments what led to the breakdown of Face ID in your situation. Share your repair experience, even if it was unsuccessful. I hope that soon an UPDATE will be added to the article with the result of repairing my iPhone X.
UPDATE My phone was delivered to Warsaw Apple Store. This is done by people who make money on it. The price of the issue is about 30-40. The most important thing at this point is that the iPhone has been successfully adopted by a tech worker. Apple support. This means that back I have to get a fully working iPhone.
At the same time, I want to remind you that I did NOT send either a check or a box with the phone. Actually, I never had a check. A little more than a month has passed since the dispatch.
UPDATE According to the latest data, the phone has been replaced with a new one. So Apple could not fix the problem with Face ID.
UPDATE After 2 months, I received a completely new iPhone X with exactly the same parameters as the previous device (the iPhone serial number naturally changed). The phone came in a film, wrapped in a soft envelope, without any accessories. The phone had a paper from iSpot (Apple’s official distributor in Poland).
Finally, I’m back with the iPhone. I won’t say that 2 months with the Galaxy Note 8 was a torment, but the iPhone is somehow more pleasant to use.
The experience gained above suggests that sometimes even Apple cannot fix a problem with Face ID, namely the state of the phone when “Face ID is not available”. This is why they just change your broken phone to a new device.
If you find yourself in a similar situation, contact an authorized Apple representative and if everything is OK, your device will also be replaced.