Wi-Fi is connected, but the Internet is not: what are the reasons
As you know, solving problems with wireless networks is not always difficult, but what to do if Wi-Fi connects and the Internet does not work is a very broad and difficult question, and therefore there can be a lot of answers to it.
Reasons for failure
As mentioned above, the problem when Wi-Fi is connected without access to the Internet can arise due to malfunctions in various component aspects of the device. Problems can have different roots, and therefore you need to consider several systems for their gradation:
- Hardware component.
- Software part.
- Network problems.
And we will start, oddly enough, from the very last point.
In general, the problem of the yellow triangle with an exclamation mark is a separate topic that can be viewed from a very large number of angles. For example, finding a way out of a situation where a laptop connects to Wi-Fi without access to the Internet can have at least 3 different directions:
- Hardware malfunctions.
- Software glitches in the operating system or third-party program.
- Mixed problems such as drivers or protocols.
And each direction has a certain number of its subdirections, and so on.
If we take a purely computer direction, then most of these cases arise either due to the inept operation of the equipment by the user of the personal computer, or due to flaws and errors of the system itself, or is caused by some special previous action, for example, the fall of a laptop. A connection problem can happen even after disassembly and not a very high-quality assembly, but we will tell you more about all this below.
We will analyze the reasons for the occurrence of situations, why there is no Internet connection, in more detail and thoroughly.
In order to understand the essence of such a nuisance, you should consider the so-called Internet map. This is a conditional diagram that allows you to understand exactly how the Internet “moves” and through which points it passes. Understanding this circumstance allows you to relatively quickly find the place where the Internet connection “leaks” and does not go further. And this, in turn, greatly reduces the time to fix the network without access to the Internet, and gives an answer on what to do.
So, from the server of the Internet provider, access to the network comes through routers, which are responsible for distributing it in a particular house or entrance. Further, from the driveway router via cable, access is supplied to the apartment, where the tenant decides for himself how to manage the network. This can be either a direct connection to a personal computer or laptop, or a cable connection to a router or switch.
Since we are interested in a wireless network, we will assume that our router is distributing access to the network.
Now we will consider a typical situation where the laptop owner is engaged in his online business and the pages stop loading, and the ill-fated yellow triangle is visible in the tray, that is, there is a Wi-Fi network, but there is no Internet access. If this happens, then the first step is to connect any other Wi-Fi device, for example, a phone, to your home network. If the effect is the same, it means that the problem is not in the laptop.
Now you need to reboot the router by unplugging the power plug, waiting 10 seconds and plugging it back in. When everything falls into place, and the wireless network starts up again, then the results can be used to determine what is wrong. For example, if access appeared, then this means that there was a misunderstanding between the routers of the provider and the router and it was eliminated. If the access did not appear, then:
- You need to pull out the cable that comes from the provider from the router and insert it into the LAN socket of the laptop.
- If the connection does not appear, then the problem occurred with the provider, and not with the end user. In this case, the reader needs to either call Support and report the problem, or wait a little. It is recommended to call technical support: let them know that there is a problem and they need to solve it.
- And if the connection becomes active, then, most likely, a breakdown in the Wi-Fi router itself. It is recommended to reconnect the cable and, if the network does not appear, but it works directly when connected, then the wireless network creation gadget needs help. Deal with this yourself and change the settings and firmware or carry it to the service center. it’s up to the owner of the device.
This category includes those cases when in the Internet map things are like this: the Internet connection comes to the router, other gadgets are connected to it, but the laptop, tablet or smartphone refuses to connect, and therefore notifies that it is connected to Wi-Fi, but without internet access.
However, a SIMilar approach is also valid for software malfunction, but here we will consider precisely the reasons for a technical nature. Of course, in most cases, if, when connected to Wi-Fi, the device writes “no Internet access”, then the problem is in the software, applications, but anything can happen. Therefore, the situations that the author of the article personally encountered will be described here. There were only two of them:
- The laptop began infrequently at first, but over time it increasingly refused to provide online access, to the point that the wireless network worked only 10-15 minutes after the device was started. And empirically it was found that it was in this apparatus. As expected, at first it was assumed that the matter was in the programs or the driver, since if the Wi-Fi module had burned out, it would SIMply not work at all, but it does work. As a result, it turned out that the situation is as follows: when cleaning from dust, disassembly was carried out, the Wi-Fi module was removed, and then installed, but cat hair got on the contacts. That is why the equipment worked until it got too hot, and as soon as this happened, problems began.
- In the second case, the laptop fell and due to physical impact, the microcircuits and integrated boards were not damaged, but the wireless network module slightly skewed and began to behave in about the same way as in the first case. The only difference is that the effects were observed constantly and in random order. Since the personal computer was new and did not understand, the considerations from the previous paragraph were irrelevant. In the end, it turned out that all that was needed was to correct the imbalance. After the module was installed smoothly, the Internet connection began to behave as expected by the manufacturer.
Software or software part
Despite the fact that circumstances can be anything, as can be seen from the previous two parts, the bulk of problems happen precisely because of software or software.
For example, some time ago there was a very “popular” moment with Windows 8, where the operating system saw Wi-Fi, but without access to the Internet. This happened in 95% of cases, when the device was put into sleep mode, and then it was exited. This could only be fixed by a reboot. Some time later, patches were released that eliminated this problem, but they did not work on all devices, and the effectiveness was pure luck: it would work or not. no one knew.
Then there was a nuisance with the transfer to the “On the plane” mode. In general terms, the behavior was about the same. Fortunately, these problems have now been fixed, but this happens very, very rarely. So if someone recognized the familiar symptoms, then you just need to install the updates. 99% of the time it will help.
The SIMplest solution would be to go to the “Device Manager”, open the “Network adapters” tab, select the wireless module and click on the “Update drivers” column. If the system writes that the driver does not need to be updated, then it can be SIMply removed. You can also remove the module itself and reboot the machine. After loading, the operating system independently recognizes the Wi-Fi adapter and installs the SIMplest drivers on it.
You can also use various assemblies and driverpacks like DriverPack Solution. But you should not abuse them, since the technology recognition aLGorithm and the selection of a high-quality driver are not yet as well developed as the customers would like. Sometimes old non-working versions are installed, and therefore on unpretentious stock Windows drivers the Wi-Fi card works much more stable and productive.
What to do if Wi-Fi is connected but there is still no Internet:
I have over 10 years of experience in IT. I am engaged in design and adjustment of commissioning works. I also have extensive experience in building networks, system administration and working with access control systems and surveillance.
I work as a specialist in the Techno-Master company.
Wi-Fi is enabled on Android, but Google Play and other apps are not working
If Wi-Fi is activated on your smartphone and it is connected to a specific access point, but the phone does not open websites, does not load pages and applications on Google Play, check that the time and date settings are correct. This is a very common user error! In 90% of cases, it is she who causes connection problems.
Solution 1. Configuring your router for Wi-Fi correctly
First, check if your smartphone is within range of a wireless network. Typically, routers can transmit a signal up to 200 meters, provided that there are no obstacles in this radius. If everything is in order with this, then go to the router settings.
Change the channel your access point is on. Usually it is set to Auto, but we advise you to set the 6th or other channel. Choose any of the available ones, save the changes and check the functionality.
You can also change the operating mode for Wi-Fi. As practice shows, by default, the 11bg mixed mode is usually set everywhere. Change it to 11n only.
If you have a column in the settings for specifying the region, then be sure to set your region there. This is an insignificant parameter, but in very rare cases even it can affect the correct operation of the access point.
Wi-Fi on Android is on, “Connected” status, but no Internet access
Let’s say that you have activated Wi-Fi on your smartphone and connected to an access point. Your phone displays the status “Connected”, but you cannot access the Internet, either using a browser or through other programs, for example, Odnoklassniki. What should we do in this case?
First you need to check if the Internet works for this connection at all. That is, you need to gradually filter out the list of possible causes by the method of elimination and check the Internet. the very first of them.
Try to connect to this access point from another device and access the Internet. If everything is fine, then the reason is your smartphone. If the other device does not connect to the Internet or does not open sites, then the point is already in the access point itself or the router.
Wi-Fi is connected but internet is not working on Android
We all use the Internet, being in cafes or restaurants, with friends, even at home at the dinner table, checking mail or messages in the same “”. As practice shows, one of the common problems occurs when working with Wi-Fi wireless technology. Let’s say we have an access point in the house from a router or in a public institution. Everything seems to be configured correctly, but for some reason there is no network access.
So, what to do if you are faced with such a problem? In fact, there may be a dozen reasons here, each of which we will consider in this material.!
Solution 2. setting up a proxy server
Another possible problem is the automatic selection and setting of a proxy server for a specific access point on a wireless network.
To fix this:
- Go to “Settings” on your device
- Then select the item Wi-Fi or “Wireless networks”, depending on the version of Android
- Find the hotspot you are connected to and hold your finger on it for a few seconds. An additional menu will appear in which you need to click “Change network”
- Check the box next to “Advanced options” and select “Proxy settings”
- It remains only to put a tick next to the “No” item, after which the proxy server will be deactivated
Why Wi-Fi doesn’t work on Android: other reasons
- Incorrect password. Sometimes the Android operating system saves a password from a specific access point, but when you connect to it again, there are no notifications that the password is not correct. We advise you to check the correctness of the input and change it if required. As you can imagine, in public places there are usually open access points, but there are also closed ones. To guess the password for them, you can use special programs, for example, from the same Google Play, where users share information around the world.
- Software problems. Another common cause that is related to your system’s software. To check the correctness of work, you can use the Wi-Fi Fixer application. Just install it on your device and launch it. There you will also be able to view a complete list of networks for which the data to which you have connected earlier is saved. Restart your phone and try to connect to the hotspot again.
- Malicious applications. You may have viruses or Trojans on your phone that are blocking wireless networks. In this case, you will have to manually install an antivirus, for example, Kaspersky.
- Incorrect settings. We have already talked about the settings for Wi-Fi networks. If you can’t change them, then you can SIMply do a factory reset. You may also have old access point records. For example, you connected to it, as it says in the system, although the connection was not actually made. Just update the list of networks in the settings or delete everything and try updating again, and only after that connect to a specific Wi-Fi point.
But what to do if Wi-Fi is connected, but the Internet still does not work even after all the described recommendations? Most likely, the Wi-Fi module itself is not working correctly. The following will help here:
- Phone firmware. if the reason lies in the software part of the smartphone. If you do not know how to flash Android operating systems yourself, it would be better to contact the service center.
- Fixing the Wi-Fi module. If the phone’s firmware does not help, then the problem lies in the wireless network module itself. In this case, you will have to carry the smartphone to the service center and replace parts.
This is not a complete list of reasons that cause Wi-Fi to fail. If you have had SIMilar situations, and you solved them in some other way, be sure to tell us about it in the comments for our readers!
If the router is configured incorrectly, it will be impossible to use the Internet.
How to check your router configuration settings:
- The first thing to do is to check if the entered IP address is correct.
- Press two keys “WinR” at the same time.
- The “Run” window will open in front of you, enter the special command ncpa.cpl.
- You will now see several icons in the new window. We need to select the icon with a red cross through it. They are usually called “Local Area Connection”.
- Open the “Properties” item with the right mouse button, here you will see the IPv4 and IPv6 columns.
- Checking that the pointer was set to IPv6.
- On the IPv4 item, double-click and mark the settings automatically.
- Be sure to save all changes made.
Often users complain about the problem: the system says there is no Internet connection, but the Internet is there. This happens quite often and can be caused by a number of reasons. Someone manages to fix the problem by disabling the antivirus, while someone immediately calls the technical support service.
What is MAC address cloning
Before proceeding with the steps, you need to ask the service provider if it has a binding by MAC address. If the answer is yes, then you need to use a wire to combine the router and PC, and then clone the address in the router parameters. And then two devices will receive the same values, and the Internet will work.
If there is no network on your smartphone or tablet
Subscribers of Beeline, MTS, Megafon and other operators also face the problem of lack of Internet.
There can be many reasons for this:
- Incorrectly inserted SIM card in the corresponding slot.
- Exhausted mobile traffic limit.
- Late payment of the subscription fee.
- Problems on the operator’s line.
- Incorrect settings on the device.
To fix the problem, first of all we recommend checking your balance and traffic balances. If everything is OK, we try to restart the gadget. Another way that often helps to restore the Internet to work is to turn the Wi-Fi network on and off.
Fips Compatibility Mode
This method can also help you troubleshoot a missing connection.
Fips compatibility mode must be activated as follows:
- We go to “Properties of wireless networks”.
- We find a special tab called “Security”.
- Double click on the item “Additional settings”.
- Set the checkbox to “Enable FIPS compliance mode for this network”.
- Be sure to save the changes made.
But we draw your attention to the fact that in case of an unsuccessful connection to the Internet, this checkbox will need to be unchecked.
“Without access to the Internet”: what to do and how to fix it
Wired or wireless internet can go missing at any inopportune moment. For most users, this is a real problem. There are many reasons for the connection loss. Therefore, in order to reconnect to the network, you need to find and fix the causes of the problem.
- If the problem is on the side of the provider
- Checking the connection
- Checking the router’s performance
- Router settings
- If Wi-Fi is not working due to the wrong address
- What is MAC address cloning
- How to set up MTU
- Reinstalling network card drivers and checking the firewall
- Fips Compatibility Mode
- If there is no network on your smartphone or tablet
- What to do if the network is recognized, but there is no Internet access
- Other problems
Checking the router’s performance
If the PC is equipped with a Wi-Fi adapter or a laptop or tablet is used for surfing the network, then it is much easier and more comfortable to work via wireless networks. If there is no Internet access with this type of access, the problem is most likely in the router. You can restore access to the network by SIMply restarting the instrument. Try unplugging and plugging your device back on after waiting a couple of seconds. You can also immediately restart your PC, tablet or smartphone.
In some cases, such problems arise regularly. This could be due to a poor internet signal from the ISP, or the problem is with the router itself. As an alternative way to fix the problem, you can try updating the router drivers, repairing the device, or replacing it with a new one. To check the operation of the router, you can connect another PC to it, if the problem persists, there is definitely a problem with the router.
Troubleshooting is a special feature that is built into the OS on your computer. To run diagnostics and check for possible errors, you need to go to the Control Panel and select Troubleshoot from the menu. This is an extremely SIMple program that even a novice user can figure out. If Diagnostics detects network errors, they will be corrected automatically.
How to set up MTU
MTU is a setting of a data unit, the transmission of which is possible without dividing into parts. To configure it, we need to go to the router’s web interface and find the MTU Size item. Experts advise setting the value to 1476. But a more competent solution is to contact the provider’s technical support service and check the data with a company specialist.
If the problem is on the side of the provider
The Internet may not be available if there is an emergency or line break on the service provider’s side. It should be understood that each user accesses the network through a selected service provider. Using a router or network cable, through a local connection, we can access the Internet.
If the Internet is not available, the reasons may be as follows:
- There is a problem on the side of the internet company.
- The subscriber has problems.
Most often, access to the network is limited for the second reason. In this case, everything depends only on the subscriber. If the problem occurred on the side of the provider, the subscriber has no choice but to wait. Some users immediately call the hotline, write requests to the technical support service. According to statistics, applications are considered quickly enough, and if the problem is not serious, the operator quickly eliminates it. In any case, in case of problems with the Internet, a call to the hotline will not be superfluous. You need to try to call a technical support specialist and describe in detail the essence of the problem.
There are situations when the reason for limited access to the network is an insufficient amount on the account. In this case, in order to fix the problem, the subscriber only needs to top up the balance. If technical or emergency work is carried out on the line, you will have to wait. If you establish that everything is functioning normally on the part of the provider, it can only mean one thing: the problem is on your side. Then you will need to check the performance of all devices. If necessary, you can always use the services of a professional master, if you cannot fix the malfunction yourself. It often happens that a laptop, tablet or computer cannot connect to the network due to faults that have arisen in the modem or router.
Checking if you have Internet access
The Windows operating system has built-in tools for determining access to the global network. The connection is checked using the Network Connectivity Status Indicator (NCSI). The function works in the following two stages:
- When connected to the network, a system request is sent to http://www.msftncsi.com/ncsi.txt. It is a plain text file with one Microsoft NCSI line written. If everything went well, then a text message is received with the title 200 OK;
- After that, the DNS function is checked. To do this, NCSI tries to resolve the dns.msftncsi.com name in the IP address. The expected value is 18.104.22.168.
After all the procedures have been completed, the operating system is considered positive to the global network. If an error occurs at one of the actions, then Windows displays a message about difficulties with the connection.
In order to check the availability of communication with the router, the presented command is used. To start it, you need to run the command line by: Start menu. Run. Enter cmd in the line and confirm. A window will open in which you must enter ping “router address”. After pressing “Enter” the responses from the device will be displayed if it works correctly. If it does not work properly, an inscription about the inaccessibility of the specified node will appear.
It is quite easy to identify that the problem is a hardware failure, and not a software failure. But you can run into certain problems. This is because the symptoms are SIMilar. For example, it happens that data comes to a router that has several connected devices. However, one of them reports that there is a connection, but there is no access to the global network. When no connection errors were detected on other devices, you should look for a problem in the hardware of a particular device.
Most problems with modules or adapters are due to physical damage or improper disassembly and assembly of the equipment. In these cases, gadgets either refuse to function at all, or work with constantly occurring problems.
Software crashes or malfunctions are the most common factors in the absence of the Internet. An example is the Windows operating system version 8. There, after exiting sleep mode, data transmission was lost when connected to a wireless connection. In these cases, only a system reboot helped. After a while, the developers fixed the problem by releasing an update.
Most often this happens in the absence of certain drivers or malfunctions in their functioning. You can check the drivers in the “Device Manager”. You should go to the section of wireless adapters and modules, and update the software for them. In cases where the OS does not display any messages about the need to install drivers or their updates, you can try to remove them.
After that, restart Windows. The system will detect the absence of software and install the easiest one to maintain operation. The operation can be performed independently.
Note! To do this, you need to go to the official websites of the developers of network adapters, then download and install the latest drivers.
How to fix “connected without internet access” error on Android
No Internet via a Wi-Fi router is a common case of network connection loss for mobile devices, computers and laptops. Any router is created in order to distribute the Internet for a certain number of users. You just need to connect to it wirelessly and enjoy surfing the global network. However, it happens that it becomes impossible to access the Internet, create a connection or load pages for various reasons.
This could be due to a malfunctioning user device adapter or router. There are ways to accurately find out the cause of a breakdown or error and follow a specific sequence of actions to fix it.
Restrictions when connecting to equipment in public places
Routers installed in public places often work under heavy loads. A huge number of visitors who visit cafes or other establishments want to use access to the network through the access point of this place so as not to waste mobile traffic.
However, when visiting public places, certain recommendations should be followed so that the user can subsequently connect without any problems. For example, it is not recommended to enable downloads through all kinds of torrent trackers. It is possible to disconnect the connection with the user’s device and block access for a certain time. It does this by adding the MAC address of the equipment to the block list. You can change the address and use the connection further, but it is still better not to start downloads.
In the case of mobile phones or tablets on the Android operating system, there is also a situation when there is a connection to a wireless network, but no data is transmitted. In such cases, two solutions are possible.
Incomplete functionality of Weifai
The so-called error, which is accompanied by the appearance of a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark, can upset any Internet user. This is due to the fact that it has become a common thing for many to log into the network every day, and when something does not go according to plan due to a malfunction, then you immediately want to start fixing it.
Any device, both a smartphone and a laptop, may not see a certain access point, have problems accessing the network, or the Internet on the phone via Wi-Fi may not work, although there is a connection. When the pages stop loading or it becomes impossible to turn on the connection to the router, then you need to know how to fix it. And in order to figure out the steps for elimination, you need to know all the possible types of breakdowns.
In this regard, it is customary to divide all problems into three different categories. This is done in order to make it easier to identify and eliminate the cause of the lack of the Internet. Why Weifai connects but doesn’t work:
- due to hardware failure. In a specific case, there may be a physical breakdown of the router or wireless adapter;
- due to software malfunctions in the operating system or other utilities and applications. Often there are all kinds of failures, arbitrary or involuntary changes to the settings by the user and others;
- mixed faults. These include all kinds of malfunctions with protocols and drivers that are responsible for the correct operation of the equipment.
Note! Any of the presented problems is accompanied by the inability to gain access.
In turn, each of the described problems can have several different causes. However, if we objectively consider all possible failures and disruptions in the operation of the network, then most of the cases are associated with improper use of equipment by the user or systemic violations due to shortcomings.
As for the hardware, the most common reason in this case is physical damage caused by the owner himself, for example, the fall of the device. Even after disassembling and assembling the equipment, the appearance of an error or inaccuracy of the process is not excluded, which also leads to problems with access to the global network.
Certain applications do not work when Wi-Fi is on
In this case, the situation is not indicative of a lack of complete data transfer. It is most often associated with technical problems with developers. These can be temporary technical problems with servers or software. You can write to Support for advice on the timing of resolving the issue.
Computer network card drivers and disabling LAN in BIOS
If the problem with the Internet appeared after reinstalling Windows 10, 8, or Windows 7, or when there is no local network connection in the list of network connections, the problem is most likely caused by the fact that the necessary network card drivers are not installed. Less commonly, the Ethernet adapter is disabled in the BIOS (UEFI) of the computer.
In this case, follow these steps:
- Go to the Windows Device Manager, to do this, press the WinR keys, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.
- In the device manager, in the “View” menu item, enable the display of hidden devices.
- Check if there is a network card in the list of “Network adapters” and if there are any unknown devices in the list (if there are none, the network card may be disabled in the BIOS).
- Go to the official website of the manufacturer of the computer motherboard (see How to find out which motherboard is on the computer) or, if it is a “branded” computer, then to the official website of the PC manufacturer and in the “Support” section download the driver for the network card. Usually it has a name containing LAN, Ethernet, Network. The easiest way to find the desired site and page on it is to enter a search engine query consisting of a PC model or motherboard and the word “support”, usually the first result is the official page.
- Install this driver and check if internet is working.
Perhaps, in this context, it will be useful: How to install an unknown device driver (if there are unknown devices in the list in the task manager).
Local network connection is active, but there is no Internet (no Internet access)
In a situation where the cable connection works, but there is no Internet, several common causes of the problem are possible:
- If the connection is via a router: there is something wrong with the cable in the WAN (Internet) port on the router. Check all cable connections.
- Also, for a situation with a router: the Internet connection settings on the router are lost, check (see Setting up the router). Even if the settings are correct, check the connection status in the web interface of the router (if not active, then for some reason the connection cannot be established, perhaps the 3rd point is to blame).
- Temporary lack of Internet access from the provider. this does not happen often, but it does happen. In this case, the Internet will not be available on other devices through the same network (check if possible), usually the problem is fixed within a day.
- Problems with network connection settings (DNS access, proxy settings, TCP / IP settings). The solutions for this case are described in the above-mentioned article Websites do not open and in a separate article The Internet does not work in Windows 10.
For the 4th item of those actions, which you can try first:
- Go to the list of connections, right-click on the Internet connection. “Properties”. In the list of protocols, select “IP version 4”, click “Properties”. Set “Use the following DNS server addresses” and specify 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199, respectively (and if the addresses have already been set there, then, on the contrary, try “Obtain DNS server address automatically). After that, it is advisable to clear the DNS cache.
- Go to the control panel (top right, in the “View” point, put “Icons”). “Browser options”. On the Connections tab, click Network Settings. Uncheck all the boxes if at least one is set. Or, if none is installed, try turning on “Automatic detection of parameters”.
If these two methods do not help, try the more sophisticated methods of solving the problem from the separate instructions given above in the 4th paragraph.
Note: if you just installed the router, connected it with a cable to your computer and there is no Internet on the computer, then most likely you just haven’t configured your router correctly yet. Once this is done, the Internet should appear.
The Internet does not work on the computer via cable or through a router
In this instruction. step by step on what to do if the Internet does not work on a computer with Windows 10, 8 and Windows 7 in various scenarios: the Internet disappeared and stopped connecting for no reason via the provider’s cable or through a router, only stopped working in the browser or certain programs, works on the old one, but does not work on the new computer and in other situations.
Note: In my experience, in about 5 percent of cases (and this is not so few) the reason why the Internet suddenly stopped working with the message “Not connected. There are no available connections “in the notification area and” Network cable not connected “in the list of connections indicates that the LAN cable is really not connected: check and reconnect (even if it visually does not seem to be a problem) the cable as from the side of the computer’s network card connector, and from the side of the LAN connector on the router, if the connection is made through it.
- What to do if the Internet does not work only in the browser
- Checking Ethernet Network Connection
- Computer network card drivers
- Enabling Network Card in BIOS (UEFI)
- Additional Information
Internet not only in the browser
I’ll start with one of the most common cases: the Internet does not work in the browser, but at the same time Skype and other instant messengers, torrent clients continue to connect to the Internet, Windows can check for updates.
Usually, in such a situation, the connection icon in the notification area indicates that there is Internet access, although in fact it is not.
The reasons in this case may be unwanted programs on the computer, changed settings of network connections, problems with DNS servers, sometimes an incorrectly removed antivirus or a Windows update (“big update” in Windows 10 terminology) with an installed antivirus.
I considered this situation in detail in a separate guide: Websites do not open, but Skype works, it describes in detail ways to fix the problem.
Checking the network connection over local area network (Ethernet)
If the first option does not suit your situation, then I recommend following these steps to test your Internet connection:
- Go to the list of Windows connections, for this you can press the WinR keys on your keyboard, type ncpa.cpl and press Enter.
- If the connection status is “Disconnected” (gray icon), right-click on it and select “Connect”.
- If the connection status is “Unrecognized network”, see the instructions “Unrecognized network Windows 7” and “Unrecognized network Windows 10”.
- If you see a message stating that the Network cable is not connected, it may be really not connected, or it is poorly connected from the side of the network card or router. Also, it may be problems from the provider (provided that the router is not used) or a malfunction of the router.
- If there is no Ethernet connection in the list (Local Area Connections), the section on installing network drivers for the network card later in the instructions will most likely come in handy.
- If the connection status is “normal” and the network name is displayed (Network 1, 2, etc. or the network name set on the router), but the Internet still does not work, try the steps described below.
Let’s dwell on point 6. the local network connection shows that everything is fine (enabled, there is a network name), but there is no Internet (this may be accompanied by the message “Without access to the Internet” and a yellow exclamation mark next to the connection icon in the notification area).
Network card options in BIOS (UEFI)
Sometimes it may appear that the network adapter is disabled in the BIOS. In this case, you will definitely not see network cards in the device manager, and local network connections. in the list of connections.
The parameters of the computer’s built-in network card can be located in different sections of the BIOS, the task is to find and enable it (set the value to Enabled). It can help here: How to enter BIOS / UEFI in Windows 10 (relevant for other systems as well).
Typical sections of the BIOS, where the desired item may be located:
- Advanced. Hardware
- Integrated peripherals
- On-board device configuration
If the adapter is disabled in one of these or SIMilar LAN sections (it may be called Ethernet, NIC), try to enable it, save the settings and restart the computer.
If by now you can figure out why the Internet has not been working, as well as to make it work, the following information may be useful:
- On Windows, Control Panel. Troubleshoot has a tool to automatically fix internet connection problems. If it does not correct the situation, but provides a description of the problem, try searching the Internet for the text of the problem. One of the common cases: The network adapter does not have valid IP settings.
- If you have Windows 10, check the following two materials that might work: Internet does not work in Windows 10, How to reset Windows 10 network settings.
- If you have a new computer or motherboard, and the provider restricts access to the Internet by MAC address, then you should tell him the new MAC address.
Hopefully, some of the options for solving the problem with the Internet on a computer by cable came up for your case. If not, describe the situation in the comments, I will try to help.