Simple and safe method to update Android version using phone settings. The action takes place automatically in the background and takes up to ten minutes. Step-by-step instruction:
- Go to smartphone settings.
- Find the category “Software Updates”.
- Select the item “Download updates”. It is recommended to set the auto download function over wireless wi-fi. This way, the latest versions will be updated quickly. Good protection against malicious files.
- After downloading information from the server, click “Install” and wait for the update to complete.
- When “Using the latest software version” there is no information about new releases.
How to Update Samsung Phones to Android 11 One UI 3
Important! Through the settings of the smartphone in the “Information” item, you can find out the latest version of the downloaded software.
How to update Android manually
The method is popular in service centers. The system program Odin is used. Download the Android update will work exclusively with the official firmware.
- Install the Odin app.
- Find on the Internet and download the archive with the version of the software you are interested in.
- Correctly connect the smartphone to the computer.
- Run the program: the port name will be indicated in yellow.
- Turn off the mobile device via the lock and volume down key.
- Assign download mode menu in technical screen.
- Select uploaded documents in Odin and start uploading to smartphone.
All the ways how to update Android
The smartphone market consists of the fact that with each new version of the OS, mobile device manufacturers add their technologies to their new and past popular models. To support modern interface and increase tools, it is important to know how to update Android on your phone.
Updating the system automatically on a smartphone or tablet is not difficult, but you need to keep in mind different features. Detailed instructions for a safe process:
- Back up valuable data to a third-party device: notes, calendar, media content, phone book. You can use an external drive or computer memory.
- Check the charge level on your tablet or smartphone. The update usually takes up to ten minutes, but the process may slow down. Therefore, an indicator of up to 80-85% of the battery is needed.
- Make sure there is free space on the memory of the mobile device. The available space is needed for the correct unpacking of the data. You can install a third-party utility to remove rarely used applications.
Smartphone apps and memory
Important! The system will tell you if you need to update Android. Before the operation, it will inform you about the required approximate place for uploading new files.
Popular manufacturers often release special programs for operating mobile devices via a PC. When you start the software, you can connect the phone to a regular computer via a USB cable and the automatic diagnostics of the “smart device” will start.
Connecting a gadget to a PC via a USB cable
The analysis consists in finding the current version of Android on a tablet or smartphone and a new available update. If you find a suitable option, you will be prompted to install the latest version. After confirming the “Update” and reading the warnings, the procedure will be performed.
Before updating the firmware, you need to find out if new versions have appeared on the official website or through the device settings. All important data must be backed up to an external drive before starting the update. Device performance may increase after modification.
Huawei and Honor. HiSuite
After downloading and installing the program. run it, do not forget to connect your smartphone or tablet to your computer.
On the main screen of the software, you can create a backup and update by clicking on the corresponding button.
How to update Android on phone and tablet
Updating the Android system is very important, new versions add many improvements and functions, stabilize work and performance, fix problems and close found security holes.
By updating your device, you can be sure that your device is reliably protected and works at its maximum capabilities. Therefore, knowing how to do this is important enough.
The previous material was devoted to the basics. what is Android, today we will analyze in all details how it needs to be updated so that your device works stably and without problems.
Important! Never turn off the device or remove the battery while the update is in progress. Your phone, tablet or other device, if you do this, simply will not work and will most likely be unrepairable.
How to update an Android phone or tablet
There are several ways to update Android. Let’s take a look at two of the safest ones. The first is by downloading the firmware file directly to the phone via Wi-Fi and updating the device. The second is by downloading the firmware to the computer and updating the smartphone already via a USB cable.
Both methods are equally good. But, if you turn on the paranoia mode, then the option with a computer seems preferable, tk. there you can make a backup copy of the already installed software on your smartphone and, if something goes wrong or you just don’t like the firmware, you can roll everything back.
Interesting! In some cases, if it has not been updated for a long time, only updating from a computer will work.
Whether the phone manufacturer is Xiaomi, Samsung, Honor, Huawei, Sony or others, the upgrade process will be almost identical. They only have a different shell and, accordingly, different notifications, menu items are called differently.
I do not recommend updating your device right away. without looking. This is quite an important step and before doing this you need to do a few very important things.
How to Upgrade Any Android version to 9.0 for Free || Latest Updates 2018||By Allabout PC
Charge your phone at least 70%, or better fully. If it turns off during the update, then turning it back on is unlikely to work. Watch this.
Is there enough space on your device. Some newer versions can go up to 2 GB.
Make sure to download the correct firmware. And if you are going to install not an official, but a third-party assembly.
Make a backup if using a PC. Especially important if you are installing not official, but third-party firmware.
Make sure the USB cable is working properly when connected to a PC. It is important that the connection is not lost. When updating via Wi-Fi, the firmware is first downloaded completely and checked by the system for errors, only after that it is installed, there should be no problems.
Do not disconnect your phone or tablet during the process. Make sure the battery is charged or, if the device is without a battery, that there will be constant voltage and the cable is working properly.
If you have ROOT. Then it will simply not be updated, you will have to remove it first.
Xiaomi. Fastboot Update or Local
Go to the link above, go to your phone model and follow the instructions that are specified specifically for your model. There will also be the latest version of the firmware that your device supports.
There are usually two options. Local or Fastboot. In the first case, the firmware is simply downloaded to the smartphone via USB and then installed, in the second, it is already necessary to install additional software on the PC, called MiFlash.
Samsung. Samsung Kies and Smart Switch
Let’s look at Smart Switch as an example, download and install the software. Launch and connect your device to your computer. The main screen will display information about your device and, if a new version of the OS is found, a button will appear to install it.
Updating the Android system. via Wi-Fi, from the phone
Let’s start with the simplest option, if you are the owner of new devices based on this system, then it is with the help of it that you can quickly update. Usually, when new firmware is released, a notification is received about this and you can immediately start downloading and update in the future.
Just click. download / upload, after which the system will check everything itself and you can start.
If such a notification does not come, then we will check the availability of new versions manually. Go to the settings, go to the “About phone / tablet” tab and then to “System update”.
If such a notification does not come, then we will check the availability of new versions manually. Go to the settings, go to the “About phone / tablet” tab and then to “System update“.
The system will check for new versions, if any, offer to download them and then install. do it.
After everything is installed and the smartphone restarts, I still recommend rebooting it again (just to be sure), sometimes if you don’t do it, the system can work in jerks, but rarely.
Why update software on Samsung phones
In fact, on any smartphone, be it Samsung Galaxy Mini, Xiaomi Redmi, or even iPhone X, updates are released annually, and sometimes every month. Thus, after the official release, manufacturers continue to work on the quality of their product.
Samsung Uses Its Own Android Shell
Of course, the number of pixels in the camera will not grow, and the number of cores in the processor will not increase, but:
- system security will improve;
- the list of supported protocols will be replenished;
- errors that arose after the launch of the product on sale will be corrected;
- energy consumption of high-capacity processes will be reduced;
- interface design will improve.
For your information! The user will not feel most of the updates in principle. They are designed only to maintain the same functionality, adjusting to the constantly evolving software market.
For example, if tomorrow the Viber communication protocol is updated, designed to improve the quality of the picture by reducing traffic consumption, the user will not be able to use the new modification without downloading the latest OS version for his device.
Note! When it comes to manufacturers such as Samsung or Xiaomi, you should know that not only Android itself needs to be updated, but also its shell, which is installed by the manufacturers. Samsung calls it OneUI.
Through Recovery mode
For users who prefer to use the functions of Korean smartphones without restrictions, updates over the air are not available, since the manufacturer has a negative attitude towards activating Root rights.
For your information! With this method, users can change the skin, for example, install the firmware from Xiaomi MIUI.
It is important to strictly adhere to the instructions:
- Apply all the precautions above before upgrading.
- Download the desired APK file to the memory card.
- Turn off the phone.
- Hold down the power and volume up buttons to call Recovery mode.
- Select “Apply Update From SD-card”.
- Find the desired APK file and click “Install”
The system can be updated up to 30 minutes. depending on the selected shell and its version.
Recovery mode and the desired item clearly
How to check for updates
Before updating Android on a Samsung phone, you need to check if there are, in principle, fresh updates. If a gadget has just gone on sale, usually the latest data package has already been downloaded to it.
- Open smartphone settings.
- Pay attention to the item “Software update”. Usually, immediately from the settings menu, you can notice an indicator that there are uninstalled updates.
- Then you can go to the section and see what the manufacturer offers to install.
Important! In the “About device” section, the user can see the numeric designation not only of the installed version of Android, but also of the shell (firmware) itself.
In this section, you can see the information that the manufacturer has prepared in the new update package and select the installation time
Via computer Samsung PC Kies
Now it is worth considering a method that involves connecting to a computer. Samsung provides for this option and invites users not to flirt with unknown APK files, but to use the proprietary program Samsung PC Kies.
- Connect gadget to PC via USB.
- Wait until all drivers are installed.
- Launch Samsung PC Kies.
- Wait until the utility finds the device.
- Click on “Search for updates”. If there is, the program will offer to update the software.
Note! In this case, you do not have to allow the device to receive files from third-party sources in the settings.
The program itself notifies about the availability of updates
Android version is not updated to the end
Most likely, there is insufficient battery power or not enough memory. In this case:
- Turn off the gadget.
- Call Recovery mode (power and volume up buttons).
- Select “Wipe Data / Factory Reset”.
- Followed by “Delete All User Data”.
- Then click on “Reboot” (or “Restart”). After that, the smartphone will turn on, and it will be possible to free up memory or recharge the gadget.
How to install a new Android without connecting to a computer
The easiest way to change the OS version is to start the process on the smartphone itself.
Usually the system notifies about the availability of a new version (the notification appears at the top of the gadget screen):
Note: the algorithm for updating to a new version of Android is always the same: it doesn’t matter if the operating system is updated to 5.0, 7.0 or 9.0.
Depending on the phone model and the current firmware version, the text and design of the notification on the screen may differ.
After receiving the notification, you should click “download”, and wait until the software is downloaded to the device.
When Android is downloaded, a message will appear in the notification bar and the user will be prompted to install or postpone the process.
Important: before clicking “install now”, it is recommended that you familiarize yourself with the information provided above, where the developers warn about the possible loss of personal data, and the need to make a backup.
The system does not always notify the user about the availability of a new version of Android. The reason may be the lack of an Internet connection or refusal to receive notifications (you can set it in the “Software update” section).
In this case, you can manually download the new Android. To do this, follow these steps:
- go to “Settings”.
- select the section “About phone” or “About device”.
- click “Software update”.
- after checking for new software, either a proposal to install the firmware will appear on the device screen, or a notification that the devices are already updated.
How to update using Smart Switch
To install the new Android on Samsung tablets and smartphones, Smart Switch and Samsung Kies applications are used.
To update to 7.0, 8.0 or 9.0 using Smart Switch, you need to:
- Launch the application.
- Click “Continue” after the notification dialog appears on the screen.
- Wait for the program to complete the process.
Note: if a notification about the possibility to download a new version of Android does not appear on the screen, this means that the device has the latest updates.
How to Boot New Android Using Xperia Companion
To download the firmware to your smartphone using the Xperia Companion software, you need to:
- Connect the phone and run the software.
- Click on the section “Software update”.
- Right-click on the “Refresh” button.
- Then you should confirm your choice and press the “Ok” button.
- Wait until the program finishes installing the OS (at the time of installation, turn off the program or disconnect the smartphone from the computer is strictly prohibited).
Attention: it is impossible to return to the previous OS version, about which the user will receive a notification before installation.
How to update Android on your phone
Updating the Android operating system is not only a recommended, but also a necessary process for the stable operation of a smartphone. For the owner of the phone, this is primarily an increase in the performance of the device, the emergence of new features, and not only the correction of errors by the manufacturer. Therefore, every user should know how to update Android on a phone.
The process of changing the current version of Android on a device requires attention and several conditions from the user.
Before moving on to changing the operating system, you need to make sure the following:
- that the phone is charged (the recommended battery level should be at least 50%);
- that the Wi-Fi network is reliable and stable (it is only important if the computer is not used when downloading the software);
- that the USB cable with which the phone is connected to the computer is working.
During the update to 9.0, 8.0, 7.0, 6.0 or earlier version of Android, it is forbidden to remove the battery or turn off the smartphone.
Interruption of the update process for one of these reasons can lead to irreparable consequences (you cannot do without the help of the service center specialists).
Before installing a new version, it is recommended to save a copy of your data to a computer, transfer it to removable media or cloud storage (make a backup).
There are two main ways to change Android yourself:
- Launching the update on the smartphone itself.
- Changing software modification using a computer.
How to update Android OS using a computer
You can change the Android operating system using the manufacturer’s app.
The main purpose of such programs is to create a backup copy of data, transfer photos and videos to a computer and vice versa.
Such applications include Samsung kies or Smart switch for Samsung smartphones and Xperia Companion for Sony phones.
Before changing Android 4.4.2, you need to activate a special setting intended for developers. “USB debugging”. In later versions of the OS, this setting is hidden, and to activate it, you need to do the following:
- Go to “Settings”.
- Select the item “About phone”.
- Scroll down and press several times on the inscription “build number” until the message “You have become a developer” appears on the screen.
- Return to the “settings” menu and select the new section “Features for developers”.
- Find the “USB Debugging” section and activate it.
How to update Android with Samsung Kies
To update, for example, Android 4.2.2, using Samsung Kies, you need to do the following:
- Run the program.
- In the dialog box, click the “Update” button (if the notification does not appear on the screen, the latest program update has already been installed on the device).
- Wait for the installation to complete.
The new firmware may not meet the user’s expectations (the appearance of the menu changes, new applications appear and old applications are deleted, etc.). Therefore, it is important during installation to read what changes will occur and whether it is worth updating.
In automatic mode
As already mentioned, WhatsApp does not update on an Android phone if the settings do not provide for this to be done automatically. This option is interesting precisely because after that you do not have to follow the release of the new version. The system will do everything by itself.
- Also use the Play Store.
- Call up the menu of additional functions.
- Go to the “Auto update” tab.
- Activate function.
How to Update Android 9.0 Pie to Samsung Phones
Note! It will offer options for auto-updates, for example, use Wi-Fi or mobile networks. It is better to choose the first, since it is not known how much the downloadable data package will weigh. If cellular operators have limits, downloads can consume all traffic.
Configuring auto-update in the Play Store visually
How to Update WhatsApp on Android Samsung and Other Phones: Step by Step Guide
Since WhatsApp does not update itself on Android, you will have to do it yourself. As above, there are several ways to do this:
- use the Play Market;
- set up automatic mode;
- download current version via PC.
What options to use, everyone will decide for himself, but before that, you should familiarize yourself with how to update WhatsApp on Android step by step.
Important! Before you start installing updates, you need to make sure that there will be enough memory in the gadget for this.
How to Update WhatsApp on Android Samsung and Other Phones
Apart from its Chinese counterparts, WhatsApp is the largest messenger in the world. In 2019, the number of accounts exceeded the 2 billion mark.In this regard, the developers are constantly working on improving it, personalizing, design, functionality, etc., which will eventually bring even more users and secure the status of a leader for the application.
Via Play Market
I mentioned just above how to see if WhatsApp has fresh updates or not. In short, you need:
- Go to Play Store.
- Call up additional menu (icon with three dashes).
- Select “My Apps and Games”.
- Click the “Update” button opposite.
Note! You can also just write the name of the messenger in the search. Play Store will immediately display the installer menu of the messenger. Only instead of the “Install” button there will be “Update”, of course, if there are updates.
How to update WhatsApp via Play Store step by step
Why update the WhatsApp app
WhatsApp does not update itself on Android. Users have to do it manually or dig into the settings for a long time. In this regard, many simply stop dealing with this issue. But in vain.
By downloading the latest version of the messenger, the user gets:
- improving the security of storage of personal data. Due to the large number of personal correspondence in WhatsApp, the messenger regularly becomes the target of attacks from hackers and virus software. In this regard, each new version receives additional encryption keys to counter such attacks;
- correction of previously noticed errors. Any software can fail. Launching a new product on the market, developers are not able to calculate everything. Therefore, from time to time users are faced with bugs and system failures. The task of updates is to fix the identified problems;
- fresh functionality that was not there before. In the first versions of the messenger, there were no video calls, stickers, different ringtones, themes, etc. If the user is interested in getting new features of the utility, then it is worth systematically checking for the latest versions;
- always in touch. If you can still accept mistakes, then there is no connection with other subscribers. Using an irrelevant version, a person runs the risk of spending an order of magnitude more time waiting for the desired message or call.
For your information! In 2020, WhatsApp will no longer support outdated versions of Android (2.3.7 and older), because such gadgets are no longer able to support the existing functionality.
Android 2.3.7 has too outdated interface and work protocols
Reinstalling the app
From time to time, malfunctions in the work of Android itself are possible, and during the update it knocks out an error. About them, by the way, will be further. Faced with such a problem, the easiest option to fix the situation is to reinstall the application.
- Pinch the application icon and move it to the trash.
- Open Play Market.
- In the search bar, enter the query “WhatsApp” or “WhatsApp”. The system will prompt itself.
- In the list that opens, select the desired messenger and click “Install”.
The Play Store always contains the latest version of the utility. After installation, just log into your account by phone number.
Important! Using this method, correspondence can be deleted. Therefore, if you need to save them, it is better to back up your data (the function is in the messenger settings).
Via APK file
This method is less popular and more likely to come in handy if at the moment there is no way to use Wi-Fi, but you need to update and you have a computer connected to the Network at hand.
- Launch browser on PC.
- Download the APK of the latest version of WhatsApp.
- Connect smartphone to PC via USB or Bluetooth.
- Transfer the downloaded file to the phone.
- Disconnect from PC.
- Find the file through the file manager and click on it. Installation will proceed automatically.
Important! On some phones like Meizu, you need to go to the settings, the “Security” section, to allow installation from unknown sources.
How to update Android version on phone / smartphone?
Many users ask such an interesting question. they say, I have a smartphone, I want to update the Android version. This is especially true in cases where the device is running Android 4.4, and some gadgets are using version 7.0.
The urge to update is understandable, but first we have to explain to you the following: although Google may release a new version of Android, it does not mean that your device has firmware with an updated operating system. over, many manufacturers do not support firmware updates for older smartphones. You can understand them. this is savings, and in addition, a certain incentive for the user to change his device to a more modern one.
There are other situations as well. For example, a smartphone uses firmware 4.4, although Google released version 6.0. Some manufacturers improve firmware within the same version of Android, that is, they can update the firmware, but the version of the operating system does not change. the same 4.4. Therefore, we cannot guarantee that you will be able to update the OS version on your smartphone. However, if you know for sure that your gadget has a firmware with a new version of Android, we will show you what you need to do to update.
We’ll take a Samsung Galaxy smartphone as an example. The device model does not matter, so the essence does not change.
So, the first thing you should do is charge your device to at least 80%. not less, but better. up to 100%.
The next item is Internet connection. We strongly recommend using Wi-Fi. Why? Because the size of the firmware can be measured in gigabytes. If you will download it using the mobile Internet, do not be surprised at the huge bill later. However, if you have an unlimited mobile Internet package connected, there should be no problems.
Now we are looking for an application with settings. Here it is in our case:
We go into the settings and see many sections. We are interested in the one called “About the smartphone” or “About the device”. This is usually the very last section of the menu.
In the new window, you will see various menu items including Android version, model number, firmware version, etc. At the top of the window there is an item “System update” or “Software update”. Click on it.
Then click “Update” or “Check for update”.
Since there is an update for your operating system, the software download will begin immediately.
The update has been downloaded, click on the “Install” button, after which the device will be turned off. In some cases, you do not need to press anything, the device will turn off by itself after downloading the software.
After turning off, the smartphone will turn on again and you will see a green robot, as well as the inscription “Installing a system update” or Installing system update, or nothing at all, except for the robot and a boot bar that reflects the progress of the update. The update may take some time, in any case, do not reboot the device, do not disconnect it, do not remove the battery.
After the update, the smartphone will turn on. Your firmware has been updated.
Here is the procedure. There is another option. manual firmware update. However, you will have to download the firmware yourself and install it, and this is no longer as easy as updating over the air. For a description of the process of updating the firmware for your smartphone in manual mode, look at the w3bsit3-dns.com forum (it differs for different smartphones).
Do I need to make a backup before updating the system?
In general, usually all data is retained during the update. However, if an error occurs during the update, you will probably have to reset the settings, and in this case, all data will be deleted. Therefore, before flashing, we still strongly recommend making a backup of important data, for example, photos. Phone numbers can be saved by syncing with a Google account.
Friends! If our site helped you or you just liked it, you can help us develop and move on. To do this, you can:
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel.
- Subscribe to our group.
Android update: how to update to a new version, rollback? Guide in detail
The market for mobile products is arranged in such a way that as new versions of the Android OS are released, smartphone manufacturers are introducing their support into their own, both recently released and already proven models. How it works? At the time of purchasing a new mobile product, the basic version of the system installed by default is available on it. After a period of time, Google releases a new Android release. After six months or a little later, depending on the geographic region, when the new version becomes run-in and stable, you can install it on your Smart. As a result, you get a new, modern interface, support for new applications, and more customization and customization. In this article, we have compiled a detailed guide for you on how to update Android on your phone.
Section in the parameters menu designed to reset the device to the factory state
- We go to this section of the menu and stop at the item “Reset settings”.
- A form pops up with a warning about deleting all data from the gadget. If the backups have already been saved in a safe place, feel free to click “Reset phone settings”.
- The phone starts to reboot. After 5-10 minutes, it will boot again, already with a clean base system on board.
Check the available space in the phone memory
When backing up your phone data, check how much space is available on your device. You may need to remove unnecessary apps, images, and other data to free up space to unpack the update files. By the way, Android pre-shows how much space is needed to download the update.
Here’s a great guide on how to clean up your phone memory from junk files.
Method 2. reset to factory settings (hard reset)
This method is completely manual and will come in handy if the device does not boot at all or you need to reset your PIN, pattern or password. Please note that as a result of a hard reset, you will delete all data in the internal memory of the phone! Be sure to read the article on how to prepare for this procedure.
- turn off the phone / tablet
- simultaneously press and hold down the “Volume Up”, “Home” (bottom center) and “Power” buttons. The Recovery menu opens.
- using the volume keys, mark the item “wipe data / factory reset”.
- press the power key to confirm your choice
- in the next menu you need to confirm your decision. Select “Yes. Delete all user data” using the keys for adjusting the volume
- press the power button again. The main menu pops up in front of you again.
- using the power key, mark “reboot system now”
All is ready. The next time the OS will boot to the factory version.