Graphics card error
Another reason why the device connection does not work is the incorrect functioning of the PC video card. In this case, the laptop does not see another device or does not display an image on it.
To eliminate it, you need to try to install new drivers that are available on the global network for each device model. Sometimes a complete reinstallation or replacement of an item may be required.
Sound. Connecting a TV to a Computer HDMI
From the very moment of its creation by the committee (2002), the HDMI interface was conceived as a combined solution for image and sound transmission. See available audio formats individually (Wikipedia page), just note that in Windows you need to select a sound source. Now the TV is considered a system device, so these responsibilities can be assigned to it. To do this, it is easier to right-click the lower right corner of the desktop (speaker icon) with the right mouse button and select Playback Devices from the context menu. If there is no icon in the lower right corner, you need to press the arrow to the right of the RU (EN) language selection designation, to the left of the clock. There you will find the symbol.
After clicking, a window will open: playback devices will be listed. You will need to turn off everything except the TV, and, on the contrary, use the TV. In 90% of cases, the native speakers of the plasma panel will sound in a couple of seconds. Want Sound Around? A similar speaker system comes with a home theater system. Flip through the description of the device. There are a number of ways to transfer sound from a TV to a home theater, any will work, taking into account the condition of the need to purchase the required cable. Similarly, using the Source button on the home theater control panel, select the desired sound source.
On the TV side, the procedure is often transparent, and the device’s own speakers are turned off. Then put your anxiety aside if your movie accompaniment is recorded in mono. Every self-respecting home theater has a splitter inside that easily splits the sound into channels of the Sound Around format.
Common causes of poor connection
If the TV does not see the laptop, and the connection is made, then the reasons may be as follows:
- Cable is incorrectly connected or defective.
- Monitor settings error.
- Incorrect operation of the video card of a laptop or PC.
- The parameters are not configured on the TV itself or any other brand.
Let’s take a closer look at why the TV does not see HDMI and the second device through it.
Not a single product, even the most reliable brand, is immune from factory defects, especially when assembled by hand. When buying, the image quality and sound are checked, but they never check specific connectors and connection jacks on the TV. at best, they make sure that they are available, and even then not all buyers. It often happens that the cable itself does not work, although it has not been used for so long. It is necessary to connect the same cable, but to another device, if it functions normally, then the reason that the computer does not see the TV lies in the latter. It is necessary to diagnose the TV in order to recognize similar signals.
Why PC can’t see TV when connected via HDMI
If you have tried your best and the laptop still has no signal to the TV, try other connections. Use the rule of thumb when all existing connection methods are used consistently. The due diligence process will look like this:
- first, we determine the available connections and connectors that are used by the household appliances we have chosen;
- disconnect TV and laptop from the network;
- we connect the laptop to the TV using a proven HDMI cable;
- turn on the TV, setting up its connection to the computer using the remote control;
- if it is possible to establish a connection via VGA, then a similar cable must be connected to the products;
- then we carry out the same actions as with HDMI, only press the “VGA” button on the remote control;
- if you decide to make a connection via DVI, then we connect the cable to the appropriate connectors, in the TV settings we select the same option.
If the technician did not start working together, the reason lies in an internal breakdown, which can only be diagnosed and eliminated by a master. Of course, if you have knowledge in the field of electronic filling devices, you can try to repair the TV yourself.
Perhaps the fault lies in the fact that the operating system was infected with viruses or there was an unauthorized entry of malware. Using a powerful antivirus (computer protection program) that can find all spyware of any level, we thoroughly scan your computer and reconnect.
Working with the monitor
If the laptop does not see the TV when multiple monitors are connected at the same time, then additional settings must be made. These simple manipulations can be performed by any user without special education:
- hover the cursor over any free space on the desktop;
- for the menu to appear, click on the right mouse button;
- we find the section “screen resolution”. Windows 7, and if there is WindowsXP, then “graphic characteristics”;
- then you need to choose an acceptable option to duplicate the screen.
Any laptop has a specific F4 key, if you press it together with the Fm button (located to the right of Crtl) repeatedly, you can select the desired option for the external screen. this is how the computer starts to see TV.
Correct connection of devices
The best solution to fix something is to do it all over again, but right. Connecting the TV to a computer via HDMI is as follows.
- One end of the HDMI cable is connected to the corresponding TV socket. Any modern TV has several such outputs, they are numbered, so it is worth remembering which plug is inserted into.
- The other end is inserted into the corresponding connector of a laptop or computer. In the case of the latter, there can also be several HDMI outputs, while not all of them are active. You should choose the one that relates to the video card. it is located next to the VGA or DVI output.
- On the TV, using the remote control, a menu with signal sources opens and the HDMI connector that was used for synchronization is selected, for example, HDMI. PC or laptop as appropriate.
If everything is done correctly, then the TV will start displaying the PC desktop, if this did not happen, then it is worth considering other cases of failure.
Adjusting the screen frequency and resolution
If, after that, it was still not possible to connect the TV to the computer via HDMI, then the computer settings may not match the capabilities of the TV. It’s about resolution and frequency. If the TV is old, and its resolution is HD, and the system unit is set to FHD by default, then the TV is simply not able to display an image. In this case, enter the screen settings according to the instructions above (for each OS version).
The resolution is set in the same menu where the display method is configured. You must first select the second screen (settings for TV) and in the corresponding menu item set the desired.
After that, you need to select “Advanced display settings”. “Properties of the video adapter for display 2” and specify the frequency. The default is 60 Hz, it makes sense to try smaller parameters.
Often users receive a message about the collection of the following nature: “HDMI mode is not supported.” On Samsung TVs, this was common a few years ago. It was suggested to “cure” this by switching the resolution and frequency, but later it turned out that this was a factory defect, which was eliminated only by firmware. The problem is typical for old models, modern TVs do not have it. For those who are faced with this, the only way out is to go to the service center.
Checking the health of components
The most obvious reason why the TV does not see the laptop via HDMI is faulty connectors or wires. It’s easy to check their performance.
- Try other HDMI inputs on TV.
- To test the output of the laptop, you can connect it to other equipment.
- Do not neglect to replace the cable, even if it is new and just purchased.
In this case, it should be inspected: as a rule, there is an arrow on the plug that must be inserted into the signal source. If there are no arrows, then you can try to connect both ends in turn.
Solving problems when connecting a computer to TV via HDMI
Sometimes it happens that when trying to connect a laptop to a TV via an HDMI cable, the latter says “no signal”, or the screen remains lifeless. This situation cannot be called unique: it happens quite often. The most common cause of a malfunction is in the cable, but there are exceptions. To find out how to solve problems when connecting a computer to a TV via HDMI, read the text below.
Setting the image output to PC
If during the check it was concluded that all the connectors and cable are working, but there is still no picture, then it’s time to configure the image output on Windows.
- A context menu opens on the RMB desktop.
- “Screen resolution”.
- “Connecting to a Projector”.
- We select “Duplicate” so that the picture is displayed on both displays or “Projector only”. the desktop will now be visible only on TV.
- “Control Panel”.
- “Design and personalization”.
- Multiple Displays. Duplicate or Extend Desktop Only 2.
- Calling “Screen Options”.
- Scroll down the menu to the item “Multiple displays”. If the HDMI cable from the computer to the TV is connected correctly, then a window with a connected second display will be displayed. It should be indicated, the image output method is similar to those mentioned above.
Updating the graphics card driver
If the TV does not see the PC via HDMI, or this connection method has stopped working, then the reason may lie in the video card, or rather, its driver. It may have crashed, the driver is out of date, or it was not installed correctly initially.
In this case, you can make sure that the signal does not go due to the old driver on the video card, you can do this.
How to connect PC to TV with HDMI
- On the icon “My computer” or in the explorer on the tab “This computer” RMB should select “Control”.
- Next “Device Manager”, “Video adapters” tab.
- If a failure occurs, then there will be a yellow or red sign opposite the video card. They mean that the node is not working properly. If there are no symbols, then the video card is working, but the driver may be out of date, and this is a common reason that a number of functions do not work.
There are several ways to update software for PC components. The most reliable option is to go to the website of the laptop or video card manufacturer and download the file for the required operating system, taking into account its bit depth. After installation, the device needs to be rebooted.
Advice! If it was not possible to find the driver, then the DriverPackSolution utility will come to the rescue. it independently scans the gadget and finds all the necessary software for each node.
If, after all the above steps, the laptop still does not connect via HDMI to the TV, then the reason is more complex, and you will have to fix it in the workshop. Which device requires a thorough diagnosis, you can find out by trying to connect the TV and PC to other equipment.
If, when connected, the picture is displayed, but there is no sound, then the problem is either in the wrong setting, or in the use of adapters without an audio interface.
Configure PC sound as follows.
- Windows 7.8. Right click on the sound icon in the “playback device” tray, the “playback” tab, select the connected TV and confirm with the “apply” button.
- Windows 10. RMB in the tray on the sound icon “open sound options”, “sound”, “select an output device”. specify the TV speakers.
If the problem persists, then we check the volume on both devices, as well as in the player. It will not be superfluous to check and update the driver for the sound card by analogy with how it is done for a video card.
Inspection of the cable for defects
When determining the reasons why the TV does not see the image, it is very important to exclude the possibility of damage to the cable itself, since the damaged wire does not transmit a signal. To check, the wire should be connected to some other device and see if the image is displayed. Thus, it is possible either to immediately establish the source of the problem, or to significantly narrow the area of fault diagnosis. If the wire does not work with other equipment, the conclusion is obvious: it should be replaced with a new, functional one.
If everything works well, then you need to make sure that the signal source on the TV is selected correctly.
Find the external input method button on the TV remote control. There are usually three options: HDMI, Source, and input. Go to the proposed menus, select the input where you connected the power cable, and confirm your action.
In order to configure the output of video from a computer to a TV in Windows 10, you must perform the following steps:
- go to “Start” and click on the settings icon. usually it is in the form of gears;
- enter the “Systems” option, then go to the “Display” tab;
- the opened window displays the displays of external monitors available for connection;
- all changes must be saved.
TV does not see computer via HDMI cable: causes and troubleshooting
There are several ways to connect a computer or laptop to a TV, one of them was using an HDMI cable. However, sometimes it happens that you have installed the equipment, prepared the necessary devices for output, but nevertheless the TV does not want to show the picture from the screen. In our review, we will dwell in more detail on the problems that arise when connecting a wire to a computer and offer recommendations for troubleshooting.
As you know, support for this operating system has long been discontinued, nevertheless, many modern TVs can still be connected to it. To do this, follow simple steps:
- right-click on any free space on the desktop, then select the “Properties” option in the pop-up context menu;
- open the item “Display Properties”, in which we will be interested in the “Parameters” tab;
- in the “Parameters” select the “Display” tab, then specify TV as the main monitor.
Check for technical problems
In some models of television equipment, the function of automatic detection of the signal source is not built-in, especially in cases where the TV was initially set to synchronize with other devices. To rectify the situation, you need to take the remote control, and then open the list of all possible signal sources: manually select the HDMI option from the list provided.
If this does not help, go to the TV settings in order to select the required connector. As a rule, modern TVs are equipped with a pair of HDMI outputs, you can see the connector’s numeric code directly below it. On the panel in the settings, you should specify exactly the one where the cable is inserted. Switching between these ports is possible using special buttons or by means of numbers 8 and 2.
In order for all settings to take effect, press Enter or Ok on the remote control. If there are no such buttons, then you just need to go through the menu just below and select the “Apply” option (in the English version it is written as Apply).
One of the most common reasons why TV stops seeing a laptop or personal computer is a broken video card. In this case, the screen displays the phrase “No signal”. In order to cope with this problem, you should update the drivers. They can be located on the installation disk, or, if it is not at hand, they can be downloaded from the official website of the GPU processor manufacturer.
First you need to study the specified technical features of the video card. The fact is that not all graphics modules built into a computer support the ability to display images on two or more monitors at once. This information is usually indicated in the documentation that comes with the video card. In the absence of this manual, specialized software can be used.
Almost all connectors can be susceptible to mechanical damage, as well as short circuits, resulting in burnout of contacts. That is why inaccurate use of technology, as well as any sudden power surge can damage the equipment, and then the computer will not see TV.
Qualified specialists strongly recommend connecting the HDMI cable only if all equipment is completely de-energized.
With use, the contact pad of the cable outlet on the computer often oxidizes. this can also be the reason why the device cannot detect the connection. In such a situation, it is best to contact a service center. Experienced craftsmen will re-solder all damaged contacts and thereby restore the full functionality of the equipment.
If there are no interruptions in the signal reception, then you should diagnose the PC or laptop settings. Quite often, they do not notice the TV due to incorrect parameters set in the system. You do not need specialized knowledge to repair, you just need to adhere to the most elementary instructions. Move the mouse over a free area on the screen, then right-click. In the window that appears, select the “Screen Resolution” tab, in some computer models it is called “Graphics Specifications”.
Find the best way to visually display the picture on the TV screen. Try to set the resolution as indicated in the model’s instruction manual. It’s easier to turn on the settings panel on a laptop: you just need to hold down the FnF4 buttons and hold them until the resolution that suits you is determined by itself. If this does not help, then you will have to refer to the operating system settings on the computer.
When the computer / laptop does not see TV, the monitor screen says “No signal”. This happens when HDMI is not working. The most common reasons include:
- incorrect connection of equipment;
- mechanical damage to the HDMI cable itself;
- malfunction of the interface on a personal computer, TV or laptop;
- breakdown of the video card or interruptions with the video card drivers;
- incorrectly set monitor settings;
- the settings on the TV are incorrectly set;
- breakdown of a GPU processor on a laptop or computer
How to establish the cause of the malfunction, we will figure it out in the following sections of our article.