On old TVs before 2011
The setup aLGorithm for old Philips digital TVs will look like this:
- Open the setup menu with the “Home” button (on some models it is indicated by a house icon).
- In the menu, go to the “Configuration” tab. If the menu is not Russified, it is easy to recognize it by the icon in the form of a gear.
- In the tab, open the “Installation” item and confirm your choice by clicking “OK”.
- In the additional menu, select “Channel setup” and then “Automatic installation” and “Start”.
- If the TV prompts you to select a country, enter “Russia”. If it is not in the list, select Finland, Germany or Switzerland: the parameters of terrestrial television there are the same as in the Russian Federation.
- Select Setup Mode. Digital.
- The TV will then ask you to select source to search for channels. Here specify the item “Antenna” (for terrestrial TV) or “Cable” (for paid channels from your operator).
- The system will offer a scanning option. automatic or manual. Select “Autosearch” or SIMilar and click “Start”.
- After the procedure is completed, click “Finish”. The TV will fix the found channels in memory.
When setting up, you may be asked to enter a pin code. If you have not changed it, dial one of the factory options. 0000, 1111 or 1234. If you wish, then you can put your own version.
No digital TV signal
If the TV does not detect any “digit” at all, the reason may be the following:
- Mechanical or electrical damage to the antenna or cable. a break in the conductor, short circuit of the braid to the middle core, etc. Check the condition of the cable (inspect and feel it manually, ring with a multimeter, etc.) and the antenna itself.
- TV signal shielding. This situation can arise if there is an obstacle in the path between the repeater and the receiving antenna that absorbs radio waves. This happens, for example, if a flat indoor antenna is installed on a window sill with plastic frames, which have a metal frame. You can solve this problem by changing the position of the antenna.
- The antenna tuning in space was lost. Most UHF antennas that receive digital television are sensitive to the direction to the transmitting station. You can correct the situation if you reconfigure the antenna by correctly orienting it. If necessary, you can use the online coverage map and compass to get an accurate bearing to the nearest tower and correctly orient the receiver.
- The repeater on the TV tower is out of order. Nothing can be done here on your own. you can only call the branch of the RTRS company, which serves repeaters in your region, and clarify the completion date.
Manual Channel Tuning
If the automatic setup failed, or the results do not suit the user, you need to manually configure the digital TV.
- Use the remote to go to the menu and select the manual setting mode.
- Set the broadcast parameters of the local repeater.
- Click “OK” and start scanning the range.
Here is a detailed instruction:
First time settings
If the TV has not been used before, then after the power is connected, the following must be specified in the setup menu:
TVs using Smart TV technology will additionally ask for information about the following during initial setup:
Determine the TV model
To make sure your TV can pick up digital channels by itself without connecting additional equipment, you need to check the model number.
On modern TVs
To automatically tune TVs of more recent years of manufacture, the procedure will look like this:
- Open the menu with the “Home” key.
- Select “Install”.
- In the next tab, click “Search for channels”.
- Then “Reinstall Channels”.
- Select a country. As with earlier models, if Russia is not on the list, Germany or Finland should be indicated, and if the model name contains the letters PFL, then Sweden is better.
- Select digital mode (DVB)
- Determine the signal source. “Cable” (for cable channels) or “Antenna” (for terrestrial TV).
- Select the “Frequency scan” column and the “Quick” item, then “Start”. The search will take 15 to 25 minutes.
In the event that a television cable is not used, but a television cable, at this stage it can also be configured. Here you will need to manually enter the value of the network frequency and baud rate. This data must be provided to you by your cable TV operator.
Philips Smart TV requires additional network setup. It is done like this:
- Start your wireless router or connect a network cable to your TV.
- In the menu, select “Connect to the network”.
- Specify the connection method: Wi-Fi or wire.
- If you are using a router, you need to activate WPS. automatic pairing of devices without a password. If there is no such function, you need to run a network scan and enter a password.
- After the “smart TV” is connected to the network, it will update the software if necessary.
- After the update, you just need to select the “Channel settings” item in the menu, and then “Search”. To connect satellite TV, you need to select “Satellite settings” and again “Search”. Nothing additional is required: the whole point of Smart TV technology is precisely that the TV turns into a multimedia center that does not require human intervention.
After the initial setup, turn off the TV and connect the antenna plug: all manipulations are performed only when there is no power supply.
When connecting a TV antenna, pay attention to the following things:
- the design of the RF plug must match the cable jack on the TV;
- if an active antenna is used, in the TV settings, you need to supply power to the cable or connect an external current source;
- connect the plug to the socket marked “ANT”, “RF-IN” or SIMilar.
Frequent problems and solutions
Let’s look at the typical problems associated with channel tuning on Philips TVs.
Finds less than 20 digital channels
Free terrestrial digital TV channels are transmitted in two multiplexes. packages of ten channels. Each of them is transmitted on its own frequency, so situations are possible when only one is received.
The situation can be corrected in the following ways:
- Search and tune digital channels again.
- Orient the antenna more precisely by checking the signal strength (usually the “i” button on the remote control or the corresponding item in the menu).
- Check if there is any technical work on the repeater with broadcast shutdown. They are usually reported in the local media. You can also check on the interactive map RTRS.
- Try to orient the antenna to another repeater.
Before starting work, the user must check the correct connection of all devices and cables. It is more convenient to tune channels from the remote control, since it is uncomfortable to control the menu sections with the TV buttons. That is why it is necessary to see if it has working batteries.
On a hard disk (external) or on a removable storage device (USB flash drive), you should write down the diagram in advance, which will be used to perform the calibration. If the user has a new modification of the TV that has Android OS, then the files intended for calibration are installed from Blu-Ray or DVD players. By plugging in the sony TV, the owner can start setting up.
To configure this parameter, use a previously downloaded diagram. The user needs to select the darkest parts of the gray stripes on it. The area on the left should be as black as possible. If there is no difference between the left and right areas of the screen, then everything was done correctly.
How to set up a Sony Bravia TV for digital TV
Many owners of Sony Bravia TVs have already appreciated the full benefits of digital television. In modern modifications there is a Smart TV function, thanks to which users have access to the Internet. Older models can also be integrated into the digital world using special attachments as a guide.
Anyone who does not know how to set up a Sony Bravia TV for digital TV should follow the step-by-step instructions. Thanks to this tutorial, they will be able to avoid the most common mistakes, and save money on the services of third-party masters.
Select the lightest part in the diagram. The contrast should be adjusted until the right area is very light. In this case, the difference between the right and left side of the screen should immediately be striking.
Choice of broadcasting TV channels
After the TV is connected to the antenna, the owner must follow the instructions. It tells you how to tune channels on your TV and what to do next. The user will be prompted to select the method of receiving and transmitting the signal. For example, it is only planned to set up digital television on a sony TV. In this case, you must click on the appropriate link, after which the search for the channels of the digital TV operator will begin. Also, the owner of the TV can give preference to cable TV, select on-air broadcasting and carry out analogue tuning.
After that, parameters are selected in a separate tab:
- online identifier;
- scan type;
To adjust the sound, you must use either an external speaker system or internal TV speakers. In this case, you will not have to adjust any additional options.
Automatic channel search
The user must find the corresponding connector on the TV and insert the antenna into it. After that, you will have to select the signal source of the same name. To prepare the TV to search for channels, disconnect all previously connected devices (optional).
Tuning channels on a Sony Bravia TV can be performed both manually and automatically. If the TV owner does not want to waste time, he can use the remote control to carry out automatic setup. To do this, enter the main menu, find the “parameters” section, select the link “auto-tuning”, confirm the action.
Search for digital TV channels
Many owners do not know how to tune digital channels on Sony Bravia TVs. This can be done quite SIMply by following the detailed instructions.
Tuning digital channels on such a TV is performed as follows:
- In the main menu, select the “installation” section, then click the “digital configuration” subsection and click on the ok button.
- Next is the link “digital setting”.
- The key “autosearch digits” is pressed. stations “.
- The intention to perform an automatic search is confirmed.
- A window opens.
- Selected link “cable”.
- Basic parameters are entered for search.
- The “quick scan” key is pressed.
Manual channel search
digital channels on the Sony Bravia TV can be set manually. To do this, you will have to connect an analog antenna, take the remote control and use it to enter the main menu. In the manual search section, the frequencies are changed using the minus and plus keys. After the TV channels are found, everyone should fine-tune.
Thus, it will be possible to adjust the quality of digital broadcasting:
- In the menu, select the item “manual”.
- Frequency parameter entered manually.
- Leave “auto” in the window with the access code.
- In manual mode, the symbol rate parameter is entered.
- Click on the “start” button.
Through a satellite box
To tune in digital TV channels, you need to connect a satellite dish to your TV. This can be done through the Satellite connector on the TV panel case or, in its absence, through a satellite receiver.
When connecting via the Satellite connector, you can find TV channels using the TV menu. The user has access to manual search, as well as automatic, which depends on the year of the device.
Through Smart TV
These applications provide the ability to watch digital TV channels for free. If they are not enough, and the provider supports the IPTV function, you can also add the channels it provides through these programs.
Without remote control
In the absence of a remote control, the user can use the buttons on the TV case to search for channels, all operations will be performed in the same way as with the remote control. If this setting is not possible, you will need to purchase a universal or original remote control.
Deleting and Editing Channels
Deletion and editing of channels is carried out in the TV panel menu in the “Broadcast” tab. To do this, go to the “Change” section. To remove some of the channels, you must mark them in the list and click “Remove”. To change the number, select a TV channel and specify a new value.
The procedure for tuning TV channels through the antenna in manual mode is as follows.
- Turn on the TV panel, launch the “Menu” and open the “Broadcast” tab.
- Select “Manual tuning”, then. “Tuning digital channels”.
- Click “Create”, specify the frequency, modulation and baud rate. The required values for each region are different, you can find them on the Web.
- Click on the “Search” button.
- Scanning will run for a few minutes, and then an image will appear. You need to click on the “Save” button.
- The window with frequency, speed and modulation will appear again. You need to add 8000 to the frequency, the last two parameters should not be changed. Run search again.
- Actions can be continued until all TV channels are found.
Channel setup methods
You can tune TV channels automatically and manually, as well as without using the remote control.
To set up your TV for digital broadcasting via cable, proceed as follows. You need to turn on the TV, open the menu and go to the “Broadcast” section. Select auto-tuning, but set the cable as the signal source not the antenna. Next, you should indicate which channels are needed (analog or digital), set the full search mode and start “Scan”.
To set up digital television in this way, you need to connect the antenna cable to the input on the TV. Further it is necessary:
- turn on the TV receiver;
- open the TV menu using the remote control;
- select the “Broadcast” tab (easily identified by the satellite dish image).
In this section you can perform automatic or manual tuning of TV channels, both analogue and digital. These methods will be described step by step below.
To block some TV channels (for example, from children), you need to open the TV-receiver menu, go to the “Broadcast” section and select the “Block” item. Enable the function, select “Change”, mark the channels that you want to block, and specify a password to confirm the action. The default is “0000”, but these numbers can be changed.
There are times when the set-top box suddenly stopped responding to the use of the remote control, buttons, the image and sound disappear, and “Antenna short” is displayed on the screen. The problem does not mean that digital television is not working. There is SIMply a short circuit in the antenna cable or in the receiving device itself.
Why did the short circuit happen? There may be several reasons:
- The presence of a short circuit in the cable associated with careless installation, in all likelihood, at the connection points. The antenna plug can only be damaged by a factory defect;
- An active receiving device is in operation, the amplifier is powered. The amplifier is sensitive to lightning discharges and can be damaged during bad weather;
- A passive antenna is connected, and the amplifier is powered on in the receiver menu. Passive devices are often short-circuited.
In the latter case, you need to disconnect the receiver from the network, separate the antenna from it, then turn on the power again, on the connected tuner in the menu settings, set the “Antenna Power” to the “Off” position.
Important! Search and elimination of the causes of the short circuit is carried out after the attachment is separated from the mains.
An analog signal is received by the MV antenna. DVB antennas are more compact. There are combined samples that can accept both ranges. From such a combined design, unnecessary elements can be removed, and an excellent UHF antenna will be obtained. For example, if there is a long mustache (an element for the MV signal), they can be removed.
All antennas are divided into:
Active are those in which amplifiers are used. An antenna with an amplifier must be connected to a power source. If a receiver is used, 5-volt power for the amplifier is supplied through it. This is done in the menu settings. The option is called “Antenna Power”.
An amplifier does not always mean the best reception, in some cases using it will even harm:
- In the area next to the TV tower, turning on the amplifier can lead to the complete disappearance of reception due to a too strong signal;
- The amplifier is the weakest element of the antenna, often failing. Plus a power supply unit and additional wires, also requiring repair and replacement;
- The intensity of the TV signal itself is provided by the design of the antenna. And the amplifier in parallel increases the level of noise and interference;
- If you want to connect another TV to a passive antenna, this is easier to do.
Passive designs do not have additional amplification, they are usually used in areas with a stable signal.
What channels are available for viewing
To watch free digital channels via a regular antenna, the 2017 list contains two multiplexes:
- first RTRS 1. frequency 546 MHz, channel 30;
- second RTRS 2. frequency 498 MHz, channel 24.
List of available channels
The technical data are valid for Moscow and the region. They may differ in other regions. A total of twenty television channels and 3 more radio programs are available.
Important! The TV does not catch additional channels. Antenna tuning will not affect the number of received channels, but only their quality.
How to locate a TV tower
Users living in the city, in the area of reception of the signal from the TV tower, are not puzzled by such questions. But for the inhabitants of remote towns and villages, the information is relevant. What knowledge is required for the best choice and correct tuning of the antenna:
- The exact location of the tower and the distance to it;
- Technical parameters (channels and broadcasting frequencies), using which you can catch a digital signal in a given area. This is necessary in order for the user to manually tune the TV channels on the set-top box;
- Whether the entire list of channels is available for reception. There may be one or two packages.
TV tower location map
Full information about the TV towers is on the official website of the RTRS. There are maps where you need to enter the name of a specific settlement in the search line. A map of this area will immediately open, on which all transmitting TV towers are indicated (green. operating, black. under construction). If you click on the cursor hovering over the selected village, information will be available about where and for how many kilometers working transmitters are installed, channel numbers (TVC), broadcasting frequency, number of packets).
The active menu includes a function by activating which you can find out the coverage areas of individual repeaters.
Now, armed with knowledge, it is necessary to determine whether it is enough to install an indoor antenna or whether an outdoor, more powerful one is required.
Antenna and TV Tuning
There are several ways to properly tune a digital signal. The choice depends on the conditions of admission.
Many users have a Polish antenna, since in the recent past it was popular due to its democratic cost. Its other name is lattice. Can this design be adapted for digital TV?
It is fully functional, but a number of changes are required. Antenna amplifier does not help, but interferes with signal reception. Therefore, it must be taken out of work. SIMply disconnecting the power supply is often ineffective. It is safer to dismantle the TV cable on the amplifier board and connect it there to the two upper bolts: to one. the central core, to the other. the shielding braid. Thus, the amplifier is excluded from the circuit, and the antenna turns into a passive.
Antenna selection and installation
An old antenna can be suitable for receiving a digital signal if it consists of short elements or a combined one. In the presence of working serviceable antennas, it remains only to find out whether they will effectively catch the “digital” in local conditions.
The decimeter signal does not have a wide coverage area. Therefore, for its distribution, it is necessary to build a network of transmitters. The surrounding landscape, the presence of high-rise buildings, mountains, forests, and the power of the repeater strongly affect the signal quality. Antenna installation should be done taking into account all these factors.
Complete lack of signal reception
This situation is typical for particularly unfavorable conditions, in places of low, closed mountains, next to high-rise buildings, with far-away low-power towers.
The search for a TV signal must be manual. At the same time, for its initial display on indicators, you need to show patience and endurance, having tried different methods:
- Purchase a powerful active antenna;
- If there are other towers nearby, you can sometimes try manual search on a TV set to alternative repeaters. Signal conditions may be better;
- A good effect is given by raising the antenna to a height using a mast;
- When the TV tower is located close, and the house is in the center of an area densely built up with high-rise buildings, you should not rush to buy an expensive powerful receiving device. It is better to experiment with the reflected signal, alternately directing the antenna in different directions to neighboring buildings or place it on the roof.
Confident reception area
A stable and reliable signal zone is considered to be an area within a radius of no more than 10 km from a television tower. Here, a SIMple indoor antenna will do a great job of receiving reception. If you have an amplifier, you can not use it.
Indoor antenna with amplifier
If the signal disappears, the image breaks, then it is necessary to connect the existing amplifier through the attachment, using the appropriate menu item. Power will be supplied via the antenna cable.
Multi-storey buildings can be a problem due to the reflection of decimeter waves. But the same reflection can be used. Let’s say the antenna does not catch when it is oriented towards the TV tower. Direct it to adjacent tall buildings, the reception of the reflected signal will probably be much more effective.
It is necessary to check the presence of electrical appliances (third-party power supplies, etc.) near the room antenna, as well as metal blinds on the windows. They can significantly attenuate the signal.