We recommend that you follow the step-by-step instructions for setting up digital TV on your Samsung TV. Below is an abridged version.
Channel search order depends on model.
On TVs of the M, Q, LS and K series, you need to proceed as follows:
- Turn on the menu using the “Home” button on the remote.
- Go to the TV settings, then to the “Broadcast” section. Select “Auto Tuning”.
- Select signal source “Antenna”.
- Specify the type of channels you want to search (by default. “Digital”). If this is not done, the TV will additionally find local analog.
- The menu will prompt you to select an operator and a search mode. If the signal is received only from the terrestrial antenna, then it is enough to leave everything as it is: this setting item is needed only for satellite and cable operators.
- Click the Scan button. The TV will find and store all available channels in the memory.
For the J, H, F and E series, the procedure looks somewhat different at the beginning:
- Make sure the source is “TV”. This can be done by clicking on the “Source” button.
- Go to the settings and select the “Broadcast” section.
- The further course of execution is the same as for the series described above.
We recommend that you follow the detailed step-by-step guide to tune digital channels on your LG TV. Below is an abridged version.
The search procedure is as follows:
- Go to the settings menu: press the “Settings” button on the remote control (on new models, the button has a gear icon).
- Select “Channels”.
- In the next window, click on “Autosearch”.
- Select the signal source: antenna, cable or satellite. Click on the first.
- Check the box “Digital only” if you do not want to search for additional analogue channels.
- Press the “OK” button to start scanning.
- At the end of the procedure, the channels will be saved. You can start viewing.
The process is identical for all LG models adapted for Russia and with a menu in Russian. Only the interface design changes.
Adding regional analog channels
In most regions of Russia, in parallel with the broadcasting of two federal multiplexes, regional analogue TV channels are also broadcast. How to increase the number of programs by adding them to the list on your TV?
- Aim the antenna exactly at the repeater and turn on the analogue channel search mode on the TV.
- The specific scenario of actions depends on the brand of the TV receiver.
For example, on a Samsung TV, it is necessary to specifically indicate that only digital channels should be taken into account when scanning: the auto-tuning system will search by default for everything that is received from the antenna. If you need to catch an analog signal, select the appropriate item.
- After all TV channels are found, fix them in the TV receiver’s memory.
General procedure for setting up terrestrial channels
The easiest way is automatic configuration. The general algorithm for TVs of all brands is the same:
- Connect your TV to an antenna. It should be clearly oriented towards the nearest repeater: unlike the MV antenna, DVM are very sensitive to the direction from which the signal comes.
- Open the menu (for this there is a special button on the remote control).
- Go to the “Options” or “Settings” section (the name depends on the manufacturer and the interface it uses).
- Here select “TV” or “Reception”.
- Specify the type of TV signal source: antenna (for searching terrestrial channels) or cable.
- Select the automatic search function (for cable and satellite TV, specify the frequencies of the provider; for terrestrial TV you do not need anything).
- The TV will display a list of the channels it has found.
- Click “OK” to confirm the entry. The programs will be stored in the TV memory.
- You can start watching programs.
Instructions for setting up terrestrial digital TV channels on a TV
Digital channels are configured on one of two devices:
- on the TV (if it supports “digital”, ie equipped with a corresponding built-in tuner);
- on a set-top box (aka receiver, tuner, decoder).
On this page we will take a closer look at the first option. automatic and manual search for 20 digital channels (in Moscow. 30) on TVs.
Only part of the channels is caught
- Nearest tower broadcast parameters.
Perform manual tuning of each multiplex to separate frequencies.
- Tuner options on the TV itself.
Some of the channels may not have been saved. The situation is corrected by repeated automatic or manual tuning of the TV.
- The repeater is too far from the receiver.
Nothing can be done here, unless you purchase a new active antenna capable of receiving such signals.
- Radio shade.
The solution is to move the antenna to a different location.
What do you need to connect “numbers” on an old TV
To receive digital television, the following set of equipment is required:
- Old TV. The later the model is released, the easier it is for it to “make friends” with an external tuner.
- Console. It is she who converts the digital signal into sound and image.
- Conventional antenna. capable of receiving TV transmission of the DVB-T2 standard. (find out in 3 minutes which one is better to choose).
- Cables: antenna (with a characteristic impedance of about 75 ohms) and an adapter through which old TVs (such as Goldstar, Vityaz, Rubin, etc.) are connected to the receiver (more on that below).
- RF modulator. It will be required where not just CRT models are used (the use of CRT does not interfere with the “digital”), but the old lamp of the Soviet design, whose connection scheme, in principle, does not provide for operation through the “tulip” or the use of other low-frequency inputs.
If there is no suitable exit on the set-top box
A situation is possible when there are connectors on the digital tuner and the TV for receiving and transmitting AV, but they do not fit together in any way. What to do in this case?
- change TV-receiver or set-top box;
- use adapters.
Here are just a few scenarios for using such adapters:
- If your new set-top box only supports HDMI output, use an RCA converter. Some loss of quality is inevitable (for example, HD channels will not be shown), however, the signal will be correctly decomposed in the three old directions into the video sequence and sound for the right and left speakers.
- If you are using a plasma or LCD TV (Sony, Onida and others released in the late 90s. early 2000s), the old VGA video connector may be installed there. For such cases, HDMI-VGA adapters exist and are actively sold. However, when using them, you need to remember: to transmit sound to the TV, you additionally need a separate wire (usually 3.5 mm Jack).
- Problems with SCART and S-Video compatibility are also possible. In this case, an adapter is also used. Most models also support triple RCA output.
The easiest option, in which the old TV will show digital programs, is to connect it through the “tulip”, “bell”, also known as a set of RCA connectors.
This is the oldest type of connector used. Its basis was developed in the 1940s and is still successfully used in a bunch of different audio and video equipment.
The connection diagram through the “tulip” is as follows:
- Turn off the TV and receiver from the sockets.
- Plug the connectors on the cables into the jacks where they fit. Here you need to look at the marking. Usually, the color marks on the tulip plugs correspond to the connectors where they are to be connected. But there are exceptions. there may be only two connectors, and the colors are different. In this case, be sure to connect yellow (video signal) and white (mono sound). red is negligible.
- Connect the antenna cable to the set-top box. It is he who serves as a signal source.
- Turn on the TV, go to the menu and select the AV mode. The specific method depends on the model of the TV receiver (setting the settings on the Orion apparatus is very different from those used for Horizon with a CRT still of the Soviet production).
- Tune the channels on the digital set-top box. It is important here that the cord is not too long, and the antenna is correctly oriented.
- Store tuned channels in the STB’s memory.
Another connection option is if the set-top box and the TV have a SCART connector. This interface has long been the main European.
If the old TV was originally created to receive a low-frequency signal through “Euro-AV” (as the SCART connector is often called), then the connection looks like this:
- Prepare the equipment: position the antenna as high as possible and orient it towards the nearest repeater.
- Disconnect the power supply. Once again, we remind you that all manipulations with the connection must be carried out on de-energized equipment.
- Connect the set-top box and TV using a SCART cable.
- Turn on the power.
- Put your TV in AV mode.
- Set up the set-top box to receive a TV signal.
Instructions for connecting a digital set-top box to an old TV model
Since the all-Russian transition from analogue to digital broadcasting took place, the owners of old TVs have faced a problem: what to do next? CRT “boxes” obviously do not perceive “digital”. It is required to connect a receiver box, but the methods are not always obvious.
We will figure out how to properly connect a digital set-top box to an old TV and what needs to be done to avoid pitfalls.
Through the antenna connector
It may turn out that the TV simply does not have a connector for an AV signal. This usually happens if old Soviet receivers are used (“Birch”, “Horizon”, “Record”, etc.). In this case, you need to use the antenna input of the TV.
An additional problem arises: most of the digital tuner models do not support the output of a high frequency signal to the TV. Some have an antenna output, but this is usually designed to connect to the next set-top box, and only some models can broadcast the decoded RF signal. There is only one way out. the use of an external RF modulator.
The connection is carried out according to the following scheme:
- connect the antenna to the set-top box;
- connect it using an adapter cable with an RF modulator;
- connect the latter to the antenna input of the TV receiver.
The TV will receive an analog high frequency signal with digital channels. You need to set up the device for reception in the same way as it was done before with analog terrestrial TV programs.
In most cases, a digital TV set-top box is connected to an antenna that was previously used for an old analog TV receiver. To simplify the connection, be sure to obtain the best possible analogue signal reception. Most often, the position of the receiving antenna will remain that way, because it assumes an exact orientation to the repeater or the source of the reflected signal.
To supply a digital signal to the tuner, the antenna is connected using a conventional coaxial cable with a characteristic impedance of 75 ohms. It is these conductors that are distinguished by the minimum attenuation of the received signal and are recommended for television sets, regardless of the year of manufacture. But how to connect a digital set-top box to an old TV, we will consider here
On the rear panel of the set-top box there is a standard connector (“RF IN”) for connecting the antenna input. At the same time, you will not have to change the plug itself on the cable, the one that was used for analog TVs is quite suitable.
Audio / video connection
There is a definite difference in connecting to old TVs and newer models of equipment. It is due to the presence of different inputs for audio and video signals. In practice, you will have to face one of the following options:
- Connection using a cord with cinch plugs. It is almost impossible to make a mistake in this case. Both on the TV, and on the set-top box, and on the cables themselves, the color coding of the inputs and outputs that need to be connected is used. So, for the video signal, connectors and plugs are used in yellow, and for audio channels. white and red. Pay attention. you need to connect it to the input connectors of the TV (marked “IN”). When connected to the OUT jacks, you will not be able to tune the channels. If the TV only plays mono audio, do not connect the white or red plug of the cord.
- Outdated models of TV-receivers and set-top boxes used SCART connections. Mistakes when connecting such a cord will not work, the plug will only be in one specific position. But if one of the devices does not have such a connector, you will have to use an adapter “SCART. tulips”.
- The easiest way is to connect and configure DVB-T2 in the presence of the HDMI connector, which are equipped with more and less modern TVs. It is through such a port that it is possible to supply an audio / video signal with minimal distortion. The same connection is required to be able to access the Internet, if your tuner provides such an opportunity.
After checking the correct connection of the antenna and the connecting cord, turn on the tuner itself and proceed with its further configuration.
How to connect a digital set-top box to a TV
Connecting digital television through a set-top box, however, like any other electronic devices, you should start by reading the instructions included in the kit. This will help you determine the purpose of the main buttons on the remote control, the presence and location of connectors, additional functions available to your receiver. As a result, you will significantly simplify the process of connecting the set-top box and its further configuration.
Please note that the standard connection schemes used will protect the device from failure if mistakes are made. But none of them will allow you to watch TV programs in digital quality.
How to connect and configure a set-top box for digital TV
Depending on which tuner you have selected, the menu picture on the screen, the name of the buttons on the remote control, the presence of outputs may change. But the connection and configuration algorithm for all devices is similar. Therefore, we will consider the general points related to how to connect a set-top box for watching digital TV, without being tied to a specific model.
Set-top box setup
Let’s consider a simple example of how to set up a set-top box for 20 channels, which are included in the free available multiplexes. When connecting the tuner to the TV for the first time, the tuning algorithm involves the following steps:
- Select the appropriate video input on the TV receiver. To connect via tulips or SCART-AV, there may be several of them, so find the one that displays the DVT-T2 splash screen. Select the appropriate input for HDMI connection.
- To configure the set-top box, wait until the software is fully loaded, then select the interface language that is convenient for you. It is not recommended to immediately change information in other menu items (region, range, format).
- Channel search is carried out in automatic mode after selecting the appropriate menu item. If the antenna is properly connected and configured, the entire package of available channels starts to show immediately after the search is completed, which takes up to 2-5 minutes.
If any channels show poor quality (tears the image, the signal constantly disappears, other defects), additional correction of the antenna position will be required. And for this you can use the functionality of the console itself:
- Press 2 times on the “INFO” button (in some models another button on the remote control can be used, check in the instructions for the equipment). \ In the menu that appears, 2 scales will be displayed. “Quality” and “Level” of the signal. By carefully changing the direction of the antenna, achieve the maximum possible value of the indicators on both scales. This will help improve the reception.
Please note that the indicators may differ for different channels and multiplexes. To properly tune the antenna, adjust its position along the channel with the lowest indicators, achieving accurate directivity.
It takes no more than 10-15 minutes to connect and configure the set-top box, so you can do the job yourself. During operation, it may be necessary to reconfigure channels, reset to factory settings. All these operations are also easy to do by going to the corresponding section of the menu using the tuner remote control.
How to connect a digital set-top box to a Samsung TV
Samsung TVs are considered the most popular in the domestic market due to their high quality. They serve for a long time and there is no need to replace them. Therefore, it is for this category of TV-devices that the issue of connecting a digital set-top box is relevant.
Samsung TVs are considered to be of fairly high quality, which makes them very popular among users.
Conventionally, TVs from this manufacturer are divided into groups that combine models by technology and year of manufacture. In this case, the very procedure for setting up digital channels will be slightly different.
Helpful advice! It is best to understand the question of how to connect a digital set-top box to a Samsung TV, the instructions for the TV tuner will help. And also there are many tips for setting specific models on the Internet.
Each type of TV is connected according to a certain pattern. At the same time, there is a universal procedure for tuning digital channels on all Samsung TVs. To this end, you need to carry out the following actions:
- Enter the device menu using the remote control.
- Go to the section dedicated to TV support.
- Find the “Contact Samsung” window and write down the TV model number and code. Decoding of the inscription is as follows. For example, model UE49MU6300U: UE is the type of device, 49 is its diagonal in inches, and MU is the series that determines the year of manufacture, 6300U is the number of the model itself.
Connecting and configuring a digital set-top box in Samsung can be done using the instructions
Having decided on the type of device, you can start connecting according to the instructions for a specific model.
How to know if your TV supports DVB-T2
The latest TV models already have built-in receivers. The first TVs with a built-in DVB-T2 tuner appeared in 2012. Older models do not have this feature. If household appliances were purchased after 2011, then it is quite possible to have a built-in receiver. You can check this by reading the instruction manual. If the document is lost or a used TV was purchased, then the presence of such a function can be checked independently.
Modern models for the most part are already equipped with a DVB-T2 tuner. this is already a requirement of the time, so there is no particular need to check its availability. In order to figure out how to connect cable TV to a TV, it is enough to have an appropriate cable and TV-device. If the TV model is old, then you need to take care of purchasing a tuner and study the instructions for connecting it to a specific device.
How to Connect to Digital TV: Choosing a Broadcast Format
Thus, connecting the receiver to the TV is necessary in order not only to receive the signal, but also to decode it. A wide variety of equipment can serve as a receiver in such cases. His choice directly depends on the broadcast format itself.
The choice of the receiver for the TV will depend on the broadcasting format.
Cable TV. If such a broadcasting model is selected, then the picture is already displayed on the screen in a certain format. Here, instead of the receiver, a special wire with a high bandwidth is connected, which only transforms the signal, which is encoded into the DVB-C format. The equipment itself, which receives the signal, is installed in a place indicated by the provider, which is responsible for its uninterrupted operation.
Helpful advice! The need to connect an amplifier for a digital signal encoded in the DVB-T2 format depends on the distance of the antenna from the repeater.
Satellite television. This is the earliest format that appeared in the days of analog broadcasting and even now broadcasts digital channels such as DVB-S. Satellite TV offers a number of benefits for broadcasters, requiring a minimum of infrastructure for broad signal distribution. Signal reception is provided by satellite reflector antennas, the so-called dishes. Before distribution, the signal is encoded in the DVB-S2 format. This is the second generation of digital broadcasting.
Terrestrial TV or DVB-T. It is the current alternative to analogue television and works on the same principle. Signal reception is carried out through a decimeter antenna capable of receiving frequencies of terrestrial analog and digital satellite TV broadcasting in the range from 0.3 to 3 GHz. For decoding, use a digital receiver to the TV. How to connect the equipment, we will consider further.
Digital TV connection options depending on the broadcast format
How to connect a digital set-top box to a TV of a new format on a TV
Various Korean-made TV models, in particular LG and Philips, are quite popular among users. Their connection order is almost the same. Before connecting a digital set-top box to an LG TV, you should figure out if the device has a built-in DVB-T2. If there is no receiver, then it must be purchased. It is best to purchase a universal set-top box for receiving digital TV channels.
After connecting, the search for digital channels starts through the settings of the TV or TV tuner. LG TV menus are pretty simple and accessible.
When a question arises, how to connect a digital set-top box to a Philips TV, first of all, you should figure out what year of release the model is, since the interfaces of different models can differ significantly from each other. If the TV was produced before 2011, then the sequence for connecting digital TV is as follows:
You can connect the set-top box through the “Configuration” menu in the TV settings
- Press the Home button on the remote control, indicated by the house, and go to the “Configuration” menu.
- After the “Installation” window appears, click OK.
- After that, another menu will appear, where you need to find the “Channel settings” indicator. Click OK.
- Next, an additional menu will appear, in which you should select “Automatic installations” and click “Start”.
- In order for the channels to be found and saved, you need to select the “Reinstall”.
- The next step is choosing a country.
- Next, go to “Digital mode” and select “Cable” as a signal source.
- In the window “Automatic channel search”, you must click “Start” and wait for the completion of the setting.
- After completing the search, you need to click “Finish”.
Now you can start watching TV channels.
How to connect a set-top box to two TVs
It should be noted right away that the ability to connect a digital TV tuner to two TVs at once may be limited or full. It all depends on the purpose of the console itself. All Smart tuners have the function of connecting and distributing a signal to several different devices at once, so they are able to control each one separately. When the receiver does not have such an option, the second TV can only provide dubbing of the program that is broadcast on the first device.
This problem can be partially solved by connecting different receivers. It could be a satellite dish plus cable TV. Different broadcast formats operate at specific frequencies. Thus, the TV broadcast of the same program will be carried out on different independent channels in different ways. This applies to both picture quality and sound.
Connecting a TV tuner using an antenna is carried out in order to receive digital terrestrial television broadcasting from a repeater or another broadcast distributor. Currently, there are three types of signal receivers, the very scheme of connecting a digital set-top box to a TV depends on them. Let’s consider each of them in more detail below.
Smart tuners allow you to connect your digital TV to two TVs at once
SCART connector: features and capabilities of the equipment
Such connectors are also called Peritel, Euro-AV, or, more simply, the Euro connector, which is actually a special type of connector used in televisions and other devices designed to work together with other devices, such as VCRs, TV set-top boxes, DVD players, etc. DVD recorders. A standard of this type was invented in France back in the 70s of the last century, and the SCART connector gained particular popularity in the 80s.
Such a connector helps to connect various devices much faster. At the same time, he combined all possible signals (both audio and video) that go to a plug with a certain number of outputs. The pinout of the Scart connector is called the designation of the functions of the contacts. Modern television or video equipment manufactured for the European market is practically all equipped with a SCART connector. It is thanks to this opportunity that the exchange between the “digital” and the analog signal takes place.
SCART connector is more advanced and compact compared to RCA
The SCART connector includes 20 pins that are capable of receiving or transmitting a certain type of analog signal. The edge of the connector is made of metal, it is connected to the shielding winding of the cable, thereby protecting the video signal from various kinds of interference. The metal frame is asymmetrical on the outside to prevent misconnection of the connector into the socket.
How to connect a digital set-top box to a TV: algorithm for different models
The setup will not be performed correctly if errors are made when connecting the digital set-top box. This is an axiom, therefore, at this stage, you must strictly follow the step-by-step sequence according to the instructions attached to the device. The connection process includes the following stages:
For the TV to work correctly, you need to connect the set-top box according to the algorithm
- Connecting the cable from the antenna to the set-top box.
- Connecting the receiver to the TV. If the tuner is built-in, then this step is skipped.
- Connecting the TV and receiver to the network.
- Connecting Power to the Amplifier of the TV Receiver.
Helpful advice! The auto search mode for each specific receiver is different, therefore, before setting up the TV for digital broadcasting, you should study in detail the instructions contained in the device’s instruction manual. In addition, here you can learn about other STB functions, for example, how to configure user modes such as time, profile or interface language.
When installing digital television, you should figure out what type of set-top box is used, what its functions and to which TV it can be connected. By functionality and purpose, the receivers are divided in accordance with the signal standard that it receives:
- digital. this is a DVB-T2 set-top box with VGA output;
- cable set-top boxes in DVB-C format;
- satellite or DVB-S2.
When installing digital television, you need to determine the type of set-top box and its functionality
It should be noted that there are also universal set-top boxes designed to receive almost any digital broadcast format while maintaining the reception of analog television.
How to connect a set-top box to a TV: equipment and accessories
The transition to one of the digital broadcasting formats requires the availability of certain equipment, which has its own special configuration. Devices designed for organizing each digital television format are required in a complete set. The most expensive is equipment for satellite television, including a receiver, a receiving head (there may be several of them) and a reflector.
A universal device for any digital TV format is a set-top box that has several purposes at once:
- Decoder. Signal decoding and image transmission to TV in both MPEG-2 and MPEG.4.
- Dashboard. Using the receiver, you turn on digital TV and control channels, as well as receive a signal when using the remote control.
- Content support. The set-top box is used to set up television and unblock paid channels.
Depending on the type of model and the purpose of the receiver, the devices are conventionally classified into profile and universal. In turn, the profile is divided into cable, digital and satellite. Universal are versatile, therefore they have a large number of connectors. over, each of them performs a specific function.
To connect the TV to digital format, you need to purchase a receiver
Set-top box setup
The order of searching for digital channels will be reduced to the following algorithm of actions:
- We use the remote control to enter the main menu of the receiver.
- Select the item with the tuner settings.
- We indicate the name of the country.
- We indicate the type of signal that corresponds to DVB-T2
- Launching automatic configuration.
- We allow the set-top box to find available digital channels within a few minutes.
- The found channels must be saved. This will allow you to return to viewing them at any time.
In some cases, automatic search gives no results and does not find any channel. For such cases, there is a manual search and manual input of settings.
You can find the digital broadcast frequency for your city on the Internet. This data is entered into the window during manual search.
Setting up TV channels
Use manual channel search to find more channels. To do this, you need to understand that the channels are broadcast by multiplexes and packets at different frequencies.
The list of the following channels corresponds to the first package:
- Russia Culture,
- Channel 45,
- Russia 2,
- Match TV,
- Russia 1,
- First channel.
The broadcasting of the second multiplex provides access to:
- Ren TV,
- Muz TV.
The difference between digital channels and analog ones comes down to packet broadcasting, and not to channel broadcasting. That is, during the search period, the search results will not be visible on the screen for the first few minutes. And only after the end of the autosearch, the user will have access to all 10 channels simultaneously.
Found packages need to be updated periodically. This is because the number of free channels available may change over time. This completes the setup of the digital set-top box.
The number of digital channels, at the moment, is 20, but their number will grow over time. Therefore, if you have not yet reconfigured to digital broadcasting quality, we recommend that you do this in the near future.
And if TV has not yet reached your region, then you should set it up as soon as such an opportunity arises. Because, in the near future, analog TV will be turned off throughout the country. Television will be completely digital, in all corners of our vast country.
As soon as you encounter problems with the set-top box or problems with signal reception, follow the algorithm:
- Check the equipment connection between all components: amplifier, set-top box, TV, antenna.
- Checking the tuner settings. In manual mode, if necessary, you can enter data about the channel being tuned.
- After accurately locating the translator, turn the antenna towards it as accurately as possible. Consider the terrain. In some cases it is necessary to use additional tools to raise the antenna to a great height.
- By changing the position of the antenna, reveal the maximum signal strength.
- Turn on auto search.
When, after following all the recommendations, malfunctions continue, partial signal reception is possible, then the reason may be a low-power antenna.
Another reason is the location is too far from the receiver. In this regard, residents of large cities, when setting up digital TV, feel much more confident.
Configuration problems, their elimination
With the correct setting of the receiver, you can enjoy watching free channels for a long time. But after a while, one or several channels at once may stop broadcasting. It is possible that out of 20 channels, only 10 become available.
Jailbreak SG Set-Top Box. 20 HD channels instantly!!!
In the process of setting up and further operating a digital set-top box, unforeseen difficulties and problems may arise. Some of them can be eliminated by following the instructions and recommendations below.
- An antenna that received an analog signal well received a digital signal very poorly or weakly. The reason may be: the antenna itself, which is not designed to receive a DVB-T2 signal; too far from the repeater. The solution to the problem may be buying an amplifier or a new antenna.
- The antenna was tuned during the installation period, and after a long time it stopped receiving one of the channels. The cause may be a wire break or a broken connection on one of the contacts. The solution may be to ring the cable and check for the presence of oxidation of all contacts.
- The digital signal is not being received by the receiver. The only reason is the lack of support for the DVB-T2 format. The problem can be eliminated only by replacing the attachment.
- Termination of the amplifier. A common reason for the failure of the amplifier power supply or the amplifier itself. Service diagnostics required.
- Partial broadcast from 20 available channels. The reason may be inaccurate direction of the antenna to the repeater or insufficient signal gain. Troubleshooting can be done by purchasing a stronger antenna and accurately pointing it towards the repeater.
- All the time 20 channels were broadcast, and then only 10. If everything is in order with the equipment, then you need to check the TV tuner settings. To do this, you need to go through the channel setup procedure again or manually configure them. If the problem persists or appears periodically, then you need to diagnose it again. Perhaps a breakdown or malfunction will be detected. In this case, the equipment must be replaced.
How to connect a 20 channel set-top box to a TV
If your TV model is not older than several years, then there is a high probability that it already has a built-in DVB-T2 TV tuner. This greatly simplifies the connection and setup process.
For older models, you need to purchase an additional device. a receiver. Setting up a set-top box and receiving digital channels, as well as difficulties and their elimination, will be considered within the framework of the article.
Once the set-top box has found digital TV channels, you need to check the quality of the incoming signal. For this function, the TV set-top box, depending on the manufacturer, has an INFO button. It displays information about the signal level on the screen:
- Signal level above 60% is a sign of stable reception.
- Low quality signal.
You can change the situation for the better as follows:
- By changing the position of the antenna, increase the lifting height using additional devices.
- Aim to the repeater tower with greater accuracy.
- Find transmitter locations online.
- Use an amplifier to increase the signal strength.
The procedure for connecting a digital set-top box to a TV is reduced to the need to first connect the antenna to the set-top box itself, and then directly connect it to the TV receiver.
The way you connect the receiver will depend on your TV model. Connection can be carried out using a tulip, that is, an RCA cable, or an HDMI connector, which allows you to display a better image on the screen.
The decimeter frequency of receiving a digital signal allows you to use a conventional indoor antenna. To improve the signal, the antenna will need to be raised to a higher height and turned towards the repeater.
Use good quality connecting materials to connect the set-top box and antenna. Once the connection is complete, you can proceed to setting up digital channels.
Digital TV Tuner Set Top Box. PVR. THOR QAM CATV RF and ATSC RF to HDMI Decoder How to set up
What you need to set up 20 channels?
Before starting the process itself, you must first of all make sure that you have equipment capable of receiving a digital signal from a TV tower.
This can be solved in two ways:
- Purchase of a new TV capable of receiving a digital signal using the DVB-T standard.
- Acquisition of a special set-top box capable of encoding digital broadcasting and playing it on a TV.
In addition, it is also important for Honor to have some parameters of the distance from the transmitting TV tower and choose the right digital antenna.
After all these points have been taken into account, you can proceed to the very process of setting up and searching for 20 channels.
Tuning 20 digital channels
Since November of that year, the Russian government has approved a step-by-step transition of the entire country to digital television. In this regard, a lot of people have appeared who simply do not know how this is done and whether the transition will be useful. Looking ahead, let’s say that digital broadcasting as such is very effective in terms of signal transmission and allows you to cover vast territories, of which we have plenty.
Already, many residents of remote villages can receive a digital signal and watch up to 20 free channels without interference. We will tell you about the basics and the very process of setting up digital television.
Setting up your TV and set-top box to receive digital
In order to clearly show the procedure for searching for channels, we will take as an example one of the TV models. In our case, one of the Sumsung brands was chosen, because they are the most popular. In the first case, we will consider the search procedure on the TV itself, and in the second we will show the process of connecting a digital set-top box to the device.
Tuning and searching for digital broadcast channels on your TV:
- Make sure the antenna is properly connected to the TV. All recommendations for choosing a signal receiving device must be taken into account. See article about it at the top.
- Press “Menu” on the TV remote control. We select the item “Broadcasts”.
- Here we need to switch the antenna selection section and show the TV that you would like to search for channels not from a cable.
- After that, you can proceed to auto-tuning. To do this, click the appropriate parameter. After that, a message should appear stating that the current channel list will be replaced with a new one. To agree, you just need to click “Start”.
- A special menu should open, in which you will be asked to select the type of search channels. We’re only interested in digital. We set them.
- All possible digital channels will be searched for. There should be a maximum of 20. However, on a number of antennas, it is possible to catch radio channels as well.
Upon completion of the setup, the list will be saved and you will be able to watch new channels.
If you need to search for channels on a digital set-top box:
- Make sure the set-top box is properly connected to the TV and antenna as shown in the diagram.
- After that, press on the remote control of the prefix “Menu”.
- We set the power of the antenna amplifier to “on”.
- Click “Autosearch”.
- The device will independently go through all available frequencies and find available digital channels for viewing.
If you are an experienced user, you can also try to find channels in a manual search. Here you will have to independently manage the search and edit their numbers.
What is needed for this
To connect a digital TV you will need:
- TV set;
- Prefix (receiver);
At the same time, your TV must have an input into which you can insert an antenna, a cinch connector, and an input with a video output (scart). If you have an HDMI input together with the scart connector, then don’t worry. It is also suitable for connecting a receiver. It’s just that your model is newer.
Before buying a receiver, you should figure out which one is better and find out what parameters you should pay attention to in order to choose the most optimal model. If you do not understand much in technology, and do not want to spend your free time studying all these nuances, then you can contact a company that provides television broadcasting services in your city and get advice from their specialists. In addition, you can take advantage of promotional offers from a service provider. Often, if you connect to their services, you can get a receiver as a gift.
A receiver, in fact, is an adapter that allows you to receive and transmit a signal to your device. He can receive it through the following sources:
- Satellite dish;
- Through the Internet;
- Using other sources.
Setting up and connecting a digital television set-top box
The modern world can no longer be imagined without digital TV. Such signal transmission has been used for quite a long time for broadcasting television and radio channels in many countries of Europe, America and Asia. In Russia, the process of transition from analogue to digital TV has been delayed.
The digital signal through the antenna of the receiver allows you to watch more TV channels throughout the country without loss of quality and interference. In this case, the signal itself can go both to the antenna, which is attached to the set-top box, and directly to the TV. It all depends on how modern the model of this device you have.
With devices that support DVB-T2, everything is simple. In order to connect to a digital TV, just insert the cable into the appropriate connector and perform a simple channel setup. If your TV is outdated and does not support reception of this type of signal, then in order to watch digital channels, you should purchase a special set-top box. It is inexpensive, but some people may have problems with connecting and configuring it, so today we’ll talk about how to do it.
Connecting a digital set-top box
The receiver can be connected either to a TV directly or via a DVD or monitor, however, for the latter two options, you will most likely need to purchase a special adapter.
In order to connect the receiver directly, you should follow these steps:
- Take the TV box out of the box and remove the protective film from it. It is imperative to remove the film. Otherwise, the receiver may overheat and break.
- Take a TV cable and cut off the protective sheath, thus exposing 1-15 millimeters of the cable on both sides. The sheath should be peeled off very carefully so as not to damage the shielding film, which is designed to protect the center conductor.
- Gently peel back the shiny protective film and screw the f-connectors to the wires.
- Connect the TV to the set-top box using a cable.
- Insert the wires into the cinch connectors on the TV and set-top box.
- Connect the antenna to your TV. In this case, the antenna itself should be installed on the outer wall of the house or on your balcony if it is not glazed. At the same time, make sure that tree branches or power wires do not touch it.
This completes the process of connecting a TV set-top box. Further, to view the TV channels available in your region, you should configure it.
Setting up the receiver
In order to tune digital channels on your TV, after connecting the set-top box to it, you will need to do the following:
- Press the “Menu” button on the remote control.
- In the window that opens, go to the settings menu.
- You need to select Russia as the country, if it is not the default.
- Now you need to select the signal standard. The default is DTV-T / DTV-T2, that is, analog and digital TV, respectively. If you leave it this way, the TV will search for both those and these channels.
- You will be prompted to perform automatic or manual configuration. Select Automatic and press the “OK” button on the remote control.
- Now you need to wait for a while until all available free and pay TV channels are found. Upon completion of the search, click “Save”.
This is one of the easiest ways to set up digital TV in your home. If the TV found few channels or did not find them at all, then you should use manual tuning.
To do this, you need to delete all channels that were found for this. After the channels are deleted, you should repeat the same steps as for automatic search, but instead of auto-tuning, select manual search. A window will appear in front of you in which you should set the frequency on which digital channels are broadcast in your city. You can find out this frequency on the Internet or by contacting your service provider. It may also be necessary to change the search range in order for the search to start.
After the TV channels of the first multiplex are found, you need to find out the frequency for the second multiplex in your city and start manual search again. Thanks to this, you will be able to watch more channels.
Connecting the receiver to Soviet TVs
In our country, many people still use televisions that were produced in the Soviet years or in the early 90s. It is not so easy to connect a receiver to such devices. they do not have tulip-type connectors. In addition, some models have scart outputs, but they only accept component signals.
There are two ways to solve these problems:
There are even more ancient models of televisions of the “Electron” type in which there are no inputs at all, except for the antenna connector. A modulated high-frequency signal is fed to the TV through this connector, so in order to watch digital TV on this type of device, you will need to additionally purchase a modulator that will be equipped with RCA connectors.
Signal quality check
To make sure you did everything correctly and everything works well, you should check the signal reception quality. This is not difficult to do. The receiver must have a button named INFO. By clicking on it three times, a window will appear on the screen with information about the signal quality, channel number, frequency and encoding. If the two existing indicators are above 60%, then everything is fine and the signal level is quite acceptable.
Perhaps, in your TV set-top box model, this button will be called something else. To find out what this button is called by you, look at the instructions and read the purpose of the buttons.
If your TV picks up multiple multiplexes, be sure to check the signal quality on each of them. This is due to the fact that each of them is transmitted and received using different transmitters, so it is very possible that in one multiplex the signal will be good, and in the second it will not.
Tuning digital channels on a TV with a built-in DVB T2 tuner
Despite the fact that the tuning of digital channels on a TV with a built-in DVB T2 tuner depends on the TV receiver model you have chosen, there are many general points that allow you to understand the general procedure.
Knowing the general principles, you can customize a TV of any brand, regardless of the country of production. Please note that we are talking about setting up terrestrial digital television, and not satellite or cable channels.
How to tune 20 digital TV channels on your TV
The nationwide transition to this broadcasting format made many users think. is it possible to watch digital TV without a set-top box? Yes, there is such a possibility, but only if your TV receiver already has a receiver that works with a DVB T2 signal. Devices supporting DVB C and DVB T formats will not provide such an opportunity. Therefore, first of all, make sure that the built-in digital tuner in the TV is marked accordingly.
Let’s take a look at how to tune digital channels on your TV. First of all, you need to connect an external antenna operating in the MW / UHF range. It can be indoor or outdoor, with or without amplifier, wave-channel or log-periodic. The choice depends on the stability and signal strength in your area. But in any case, in order to connect digital television, the receiving equipment is connected using a coaxial cable with a characteristic impedance of 75 ohms to the standard antenna connector of the television. This jack is usually labeled “ANT IN AIR / CABLE”.
Further setup of the TV without a set-top box is performed in automatic or manual mode. The second option is recommended only for experienced users who already have experience in connecting such equipment. Any mistake in entering the required data will make it impossible to watch TV broadcasts in digital format.
Diagram of connecting digital channels through a set-top box and to a TV with a built-in tuner
Setting in automatic mode
Let’s consider how to tune channels on the most common TV brands in Russia:
- Different Samsung series may differ only in the names of the menu items. Samsung has a fairly simple setup algorithm. select “Broadcast”, double-click on “Auto-tuning” and start the “Start” process. For terrestrial digital television, select the “Antenna” item and determine the type of channels you need to find. “Digital” or “Digital and analog”. It is recommended to select full search and then start auto scan. In the zone of reliable reception, which is characterized by a large number of TV channels, the search will take up to 10-15 minutes.
- Setting up digital TV on LG TVs is also easy. Use the following algorithm: select “Options”, go to “Settings” and “Autosearch”. After selecting an external antenna as the source, start scanning. And in this case, the search will take up to 5-15 minutes, depending on the signal quality and the characteristics of the TV model.
- The tuning algorithm for Philips TV has been slightly changed. On Philips, proceed in the following sequence. select the “Configuration” section in the menu, go to “Installation”, check the “Channel setup” item. Then click “Automatic installation” and “Reinstall channels”. Just like in other TVs, select the signal source “Antenna” and start auto-scanning across all ranges.
In TV sets of other brands, the algorithm for setting up digital channels is practically the same and fits one of the above options.
Manual tuning of digital DVB T2 channels in TVs with built-in tuners is more complicated. In this case, you need to accurately determine and enter the channel parameters, which may differ depending on the region. Frequency, modulation and signal rate information is required. Please note that these values are different for each available multiplex. It will not be possible to find the entire list of free channels at once. For each of the packages, you need to repeat the search, keeping the results of the previous.
By the way, if you have an old TV, then you can watch digital channels on it. How to do it read here.
The general algorithm for tuning digital channels on TVs with tuners is as follows:
- In the menu, select the “Broadcast” option and set the antennsource as the signal source.
- Selecting the item “Channel setup” go to “Manual tuning”.
- We set the search for digital channels and in the window that opens, click “Create”.
- It is at this stage that the necessary information about the tuned channels is entered. Please note that the transmission step (frequency range during the search) is 8 MHz, this value is used when searching for both digital and analog channels.
- The bars that appear will show the current level and quality of the signal. In different regions, adjustment is possible even at 25-30%, but it is better that this figure is more than 50-70%. To do this, adjust the position of the antenna.
- modern TVs perform a full search on the specified data, saving is carried out after the completion of the scan.
- For outdated models, the following sequence of actions is most often characteristic. when a channel is detected, the “Save?” Window is displayed, and then confirm or cancel the command. Then change the frequency by 8 MHz (pass step) and start the process again. Repeat these operations until all channels are found or when the process ends within the specified range of values.
Manual tuning can help in areas with an unstable signal. However, you should not choose this type of search if you are not sure about the data on the multiplexes operating in your area. Automatic search will be a simpler and more convenient solution, especially for new models of TV sets with built-in digital tuners. Editing and storing channels after searching is performed in standard mode in accordance with the TV operating instructions. We recommend that you read this document carefully before proceeding with the configuration. This will allow you to avoid mistakes and understand all the possibilities available to your TV receiver.