iPhone won’t charge but shows it is charging. what to do
Some of the iPhone users may face a situation where, when the charger is connected, their smartphone simply does not charge, and the culprits for this dysfunction may be the reasons for both hardware and software levels. In this article, I will tell you what to do if the iPhone does not charge, but shows that it is charging, I will describe the causes of this problem and the features of the methods for solving it.
How to fix iPhone charging issue
So, if you have a situation that your iPhone is not charging, but shows that it is charging, then do the following:
- Try to completely discharge your device and then charge it;
- Hard reset your device. Hold down the On / Off and Home buttons with the device turned on, and hold until the screen turns off and the Apple logo appears on it again (it may take 30 seconds). After rebooting, try charging your smartphone again;
- Try using your cable with a different iPhone. If charging still does not occur, replace the cable;
- If, when the cable connected to the port moves, the charging turns on and off. it is quite possible that the port does not contact or is simply broken. Replace the port at the service center;
- Unplug your phone, take a wooden toothpick and gently pick up any debris that has accumulated in the socket. Do the procedure as gently and carefully as possible so as not to damage the contacts. Under no circumstances use any material that is highly conductive (for example, a metal pin), you can short-circuit the contacts and harm your device;
- Try your charger with a different iPhone. If charging still does not occur, replace (repair) the charger;
- Recover via iTunes. Connect your iPhone to iTunes on your computer, click on “Device” on the top left, then click on “Backup” and wait until the procedure is complete. Then click on Restore and wait for the process to complete;
- Check the charge controller (or the bottom cable) at the service center. If your iPhone doesn’t charge, loses power quickly, gets very hot, then this may be an indicator of the controller’s “guilt”. If the controller is out of order, repair (replace) it;
- Replace the battery. If you have been using the phone for a long time, the battery may have worn out. Replace it.
- Contact the nearest service center, perhaps a significant breakdown of the board of your smartphone due to any accidental physical impact.
iPhone Won’t Charge. Software Reasons
Among the reasons why it is impossible to charge the iPhone, there are software reasons, and some experts call them prevailing. The main software reason is a software malfunction (at the level of the smartphone’s firmware), which for some reason does not give commands to the phone’s controller to charge, therefore charging simply does not occur.
Also, the reason why the iPhone refuses to charge is the user using an incorrect (custom) firmware in his device (similar firmware is available for versions of the first generation iPhone, iPhone 3G and 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4Rev A).
iPhone Won’t Charge. Hardware Reasons
The reasons iPhone won’t charge but shows it charging are as follows:
- Damage (breakage) of the cable. If your cable has been damaged (physical wear and tear, animals, children, etc.) then you will not be able to charge your iPhone, and in some cases you will see signs of charging, but de facto it will not happen;
- Broken charging port (Lightning). Usually caused by physical wear and tear, as well as strong (sharp) movements of the user when connecting and disconnecting the cable;
- Port clogged with dirt. In the process of long-term use of the phone, staying it on various fleecy (dirty) surfaces, the jack can become clogged with small pieces of wool, dirt, dust, and others, which leads to insufficient contact of the cable plug with the port;
- Charger problem. For some reason (physical wear or incomplete compliance with the declared characteristics) your device does not give the declared charging parameters (usually 5V and 1A), and this leads to various problems with charging the smartphone. This is especially true for devices from little-known manufacturers (the so-called “noname”);
- Battery problem (usually wear and tear). Over time, the battery depletes its life and needs to be replaced. If you have been using your iPhone for a long time, or purchased it from your hands, then it is likely that the battery of your device has exhausted its resource;
- Physical damage to the phone board. If your phone received any physical damage, fell or experienced any other mechanical stress, then it is quite possible that they adversely affected its functionality, including the ability to charge it;
- Problems in the controller responsible for charging the phone.
Why iPhone won’t charge from charging, what to do?
Some malfunctions lead to the fact that the iPhone does not charge either from the mains or from the computer. This can happen due to a problem with the internal firmware of the phone, a broken charger, battery, or Lightning cable. Correct diagnostics of the phone and the accessories used will help to solve the problem. Consider what to do if your iPhone won’t charge.
Also, the reason that the iPhone does not charge from charging may be software problems. The battery is charged using a special microcircuit located on the board. The software monitors the normal operation of the power controller. Violations in the internal program lead to the fact that it fails, and the battery itself cannot receive the necessary energy.
A hard reset of the device may help. It is done by simultaneously pressing the screen lock button and the Home key and holding them for 10-20 seconds. During such a hard reboot, a white screen lights up with an apple in the middle. In this case, the buttons must be held for a few more seconds. After that, you need to turn the iPhone back on and check if it can charge.
Sometimes the problem can be solved by calibrating the battery with a third-party program. If this does not help, then you should take the phone for repair.
Faulty Lightning cable or Lightning port not working
What if iPhone won’t charge but charger is connected? Examine the Lightning cable. This cord is very fragile, so it can be easily damaged. Sometimes a broken Lightning may not have any visible external damage. In this case, a multimeter will help to identify malfunctions. If testing does not reveal a problem, the connector should be checked. Due to the ingress of dust and dirt, the contacts may become unusable. You can clean the connector yourself with a toothpick. If the phone charges normally when using a different cable, the cause is a faulty Lightning cable.
Sometimes the owner of the gadget uses an accessory that has not passed certification. In this case, the company does not guarantee the normal operation of the device. Breakage can only be avoided by using original Apple wire.
Faulty charger or USB port not working
IPhone only needs to be charged with an original Apple charger. Most of the problems why the iPhone won’t charge occurs when using a Chinese equivalent instead of the original charger. One of the possible reasons for the malfunction of such a memory. burnt out block.
If the iPhone is not charging, although it is charging, then the cause of this problem may be a damaged cable. It can deform at the point of connection with the adapter, not allowing the charge to flow. If charging is normal when connected to a computer, it is recommended that you purchase a new charger. Otherwise, it is necessary to check for operability of other components.
A problem with the USB port is causing iPhone to only partially charge. This can be due to dirt or debris getting there. The situation will be solved by mechanical cleaning of the connector. Sometimes the port does not work due to the fact that it was previously badly damaged or torn out. This happens when the connected cord is pulled out suddenly. In this case, you must use a different port or standard memory.
The standard USB output port is 5V and 0.5A, while the iPhone charger is 5V and 1A. Due to this voltage / current mismatch, power fluctuations, the power controller blocks charging.
When connected to a computer or laptop, charging may not work due to the PC being in sleep mode. It is not recommended to use the USB connectors on the front of the computer for connection. The device will not charge if many power-hungry applications are running on the device when connected to a PC. games, documents. The same happens when Wi-Fi is on. In this case, the PC simply will not be able to fully charge the phone.
Any fall may damage the motherboard. Even a small crack formed on the board can cause the entire device to malfunction. In this case, the phone will not turn on and charge.
My iPhone Won’t Charge! The Real Fix From A Former Apple Tech.
Defective battery or ribbon cable
The battery built into your phone can deteriorate over time. This happens for the following reasons:
The main symptoms of a battery failure are:
- a sharp reduction in the battery life of the device;
- iPhone suddenly turns off when sufficient battery level is displayed on the indicator;
- a rapid decrease in the charge level in the absence of activity;
- the presence of scratches, defects on the battery;
- no visibility of charging.
The breakdown is also explained by the fact that the standard battery is designed only for a limited number of charging cycles. If the device has been serving its owner for several years, then the battery capacity gradually decreases, and then the battery stops functioning altogether. In this case, the battery will eventually stop charging at all and will have to be replaced.
A malfunction may occur in the area of the lower loop, which provides synchronization of the device with a memory device or a computer. In this case, an error message appears on the screen when connecting. The loop breaks down if water gets inside the charger connector. Because of this, the contacts of the connectors and the loop on the board oxidize, and a characteristic greenish coating appears on them.
The loop stops functioning normally as a result of a fall or mechanical damage. Even a small crack can cause the battery to stop charging. Connectors are damaged by power surges. Another reason for the problem. using a poor quality charger.
Problems in the firmware
If charging problems appeared after a full system update, it may be firmware related. It does not matter which version of the system was installed. If the device worked normally before, the user can backup, or roll back, to the previous state of the iPhone. This can be done if you have a backup using a special program. In this case, the previous version of iOS will be restored.
If there is no copy, you will have to perform a factory reset. After that, you can flash the device by downloading the official version of iOS.
What to do if iPhone won’t turn on or charge
Every iPhone user sooner or later may face a serious problem, which manifests itself in the fact that the iPhone does not turn on and does not charge. It is worth noting that this can happen to absolutely any iPhone, be it the “old” iPhone 5, as well as newer models of iPhone 6s, iPhone 7 and even iPhone 8. Why does this happen and what to do. about this in detail
Why iPhone won’t turn on or charge?
First, the iPhone shutdown may be due to some kind of software glitch. Most often, software freezes appear as a result of the device not having enough RAM to process all running applications. To fix this, in most cases, it is enough to hard reset the iPhone.
Secondly, on the iPhone, very often, as a result of mechanical impact or falling, the battery can come off the body of the device. If this happens, then at first the device may even work, and the user simply hears the characteristic sound of a dangling battery inside the case. Ultimately, in most of these situations, the battery cable connecting the battery and the board is frayed or torn. After that, naturally, the iPhone won’t turn on anymore. The solution to this problem is to replace the iPhone battery, which can be done at our service center.
The battery can also fail as a result of the use of low-quality chargers, power surges in the electrical circuit or moisture. In such cases, in addition to the battery one, the lower connector (charger connector) may also be damaged, which can also be restored or changed in the conditions of the service center.
But there are times when, as a result of mechanical stress, a short circuit or the use of low-quality accessories for charging the iPhone, the microcircuits on the processor board fail. The first thing that can get hurt. this is the Q2 microcircuit, which is a kind of fuse key for other elements along the power supply circuit of the board.
Following it, the U2 microcircuit (charge controller and USB synchronization microcircuit) may fail. If the situation is really bad, then the main power controller of the iPhone may fail, the damage of which, according to statistics, is one of the most serious problems associated with the power of the iPhone. Along with this, the microcircuit of the power controller of the modem part may also fail. The characteristic signs of this malfunction are the constant indication of the search for the cellular network, even without a SIM card inserted inside the device.
What to do if iPhone won’t turn on or charge?
Solving such problems is a more laborious process than conventional modular repairs, because working with a processor board and BGA chips always requires more time, effort and money. In addition, carrying out such an iPhone repair requires a lot of experience and knowledge of how the device’s motherboard works.
It is worth noting that such problems, when the iPhone does not turn on and does not charge, can appear for any user with any iPhone model. However, all iPhone power problems can always be resolved in our service center.
Therefore, we always advise you to entrust the repair of your iPhone and iPad only to trusted companies that are ready to have extensive experience and thoroughly understand the specifics of Apple devices. Please contact us. our masters will be happy to help you repair your iPhone!
The first thing to do is check the cable. In 85% of cases, when the phone is charging for a long time or charging is in progress, but the phone does not charge, it is the wire that is to blame. Most likely it is interrupted or not original and also of poor quality.
Often, to users similar to Chinese crafts, the iPhone shows the message “This cable or accessory is not certified”. The explanation is simple. iphone 5s, 6, 6plus, 7, 7 plus, 8 models are not designed to work with non-original wires. Unlike the original accessory, Chinese counterfeits have no shielding layer in the shell, besides, the thickness of the conductors is several times smaller, therefore, difficulties arise when the phone does not charge from charging to the end, by 100%.
For diagnostics, we try to take another cable, with a lightning connector, if it works with another, then the problem is in the cable, if not, we are looking for the problem further.
Turn off the phone
There is a little-known trick, if you want to charge the iphone 5 battery without spending a lot of time, just turn off the device. The process will go much faster and will save up to 30% of your time. During normal operation of applications, the smartphone spends a lot of energy, spending it on maintaining communication with the network, working the backlight and other tasks. Turning off the device or at least putting it into “Airplane mode”, the battery will fill up with energy faster, even when using a non-original weak charge.
Failure of the U2 controller
After replacing the battery with a new one, is the phone still charging slowly? Bad, very bad symptom, then the problem is in the module located on the motherboard. In this case, the same handy craftsman will be able to rewire the u2 power controller for you, but the money for work and spare parts will be completely different. But this is a very likely development of events, despite the reliability of the iPhone 6.
If the phone shows that the battery is 20-10% full, although you have just disconnected the certified cable and are sure that the battery is full, then it is worth doing a battery calibration. It is not difficult. How to do this correctly, look at the video, you cannot write down all the nuances and details in the article.
A radical but effective way when charging is in progress, but the phone is not charging. The situation will worsen every day, the phone will work less and less autonomously, and charging will take longer and longer.
If all of the above methods do not help, a new battery will come to the rescue. After 2-3 years, a situation arises, the smartphone battery becomes unusable after 500-700 operating cycles, so you have to change the battery yourself or take the device to a handy master. How to do it right yourself, watch the video and read in this article.
We arrange a big cleaning
The next probable problem lurks in the dirty lightning connector on the iPhone. During operation, bullets and rubbish from s clog the delicate electronic insides of gadgets, creating quite a few problems for their owners. It is dirt that can be the reason when charging is in progress, but the phone does not charge. Not only does older models like the iPhone 5s suffer from this, but older models of smartphones also suffer from our s and bags.
From time to time, you need to take a cotton swab and gently clean the lightning connector. This will help if the iPhone is not charging properly, or if the phone is charging slowly. How to properly clean the connector, see the video, everything is simple and quick.
If, after all the procedures done, the iPhone does not charge or the phone charges slowly, then it is worth updating the iOs before proceeding with more radical methods. To update iOs, go to “Settings. General. Software Update” and click “Install”. Do not be afraid, save all data, and the problem may disappear.
iPhone not working, dark screen
The option when the iPhone turns itself off, does not respond to charging and then does not turn on is quite common. Everything happens due to the fact that the iPhone was lying unnecessarily for a long time, while its charge was full. After that, the phone turned off and does not turn on again.
If the iphone has a black screen and does not turn on, then there may be several reasons:
- Water ingress into the case, as a result, oxidation of contacts and failure of modules.
- The fall of the iPhone, as a result, the separation of the cable.
- No matter how trite, but severe frosts can disable the gadget. As a result, the iPhone stops not only charging, but also turning on. In order for the system to work, you need to warm it up, it will be enough to put the device in a warm place for 15 minutes.
- It is also possible that the iPhone is discharged and a black screen appears. If iPhone is completely discharged, the device may not turn on or charge. What to do if iPhone is on charge and does not turn on for a long time? We read
- If iphone won’t turn on even after charging? You must press the Lock and Home button. Keep them in this position for 20 seconds, then wait about a minute. At this time, the BIOS should start, and the system will work, the iOs will start loading.
- If the iPhone has gone out of the screen, the phone is discharged and does not turn on while charging, the problem may be in the breakdown of parts of the device, failure of the charging cable, malfunction of the charger itself.
What to do if iPhone stops working, screen goes blank and won’t turn on? No need to panic, there is a way out of any situation.
If the iPhone is on charge, but it turns off and does not even turn on. In most cases, the following actions work: Simultaneously press and hold the “Power” and “Home” keys for a few seconds. A hard reboot helps in many cases. After that, the mobile device should work like new.
If, after the performed manipulations, the mobile does not turn on even when charging, the problem may be more serious. If the iPhone is not responding to any action, it is a hardware or software error. In order for the mobile to work, you will need to change the battery or charger. In any case, the help of a specialist will not hurt.
Why is the phone not working
If the iPhone does not turn on, then the reasons may be as follows:
- Discharged to zero. To resume work, you just need to connect it to the power cord and wait 15 minutes. After that, you can try to turn it on. If the iPhone does not turn on after charging, then the problem should be looked for in another.
- If, after 15 minutes, the phone does not load, and a lightning bolt and an outlet are displayed on the screen, then it means that not much time has passed after charging.
- If the iphone turns off and does not turn on, it does not respond to charging, what to do. In this case, the iphone just went into save mode. This happens if it has not been rebooted for a long time.
- To resume the operation of the device after restarting, you must press and hold the lock button and the Home key for 20 seconds. After that iOs download will start.
Important: if you have an iPhone 7, then in order to resume its work, you need to hold down the Power button and the volume down button for 20 seconds. This will lead to a hard reboot of the device. This usually helps with many problems, including iOs glitches.
If the iPhone does not turn on and does not charge, then the device is simply frozen. To solve this problem, it will be enough to restart it.
The phone stopped charging and won’t boot
There are many reasons iPhone won’t turn on or charge.
- System crash. In this case, the iphone does not charge and does not turn on as a result of rebooting the RAM, which interferes with its full-fledged operation. The system cannot cope with all the information and the mobile device starts to fail. To correct this situation, you will need to reboot the entire system.
- If the iPhone does not turn on after restarting, then the reason is clearly different.
- Mechanical damage to the mobile device. Strong impact may cause the iphone battery to detach from the case. At first, the device may not work at all, while the sound of a dangling battery will be heard. Next, the cable breaks, which connects the battery and the board. After that, the mobile does not turn on and does not respond to charging. To solve the problem, you will need to replace the battery.
- Using counterfeit chargers that can cause iPhone to turn off and not turn on, unresponsive to charging. Due to low-quality accessories for mobile devices, power surges or moisture may get inside. In this case, the charging connector will also suffer.
- Iphone may be discharged and no longer turn on or charge due to damaged microcircuits. Along the chain, all the microcircuits of the device begin to be damaged, leading to a complete loss of performance. In addition to the fact that the iPhone itself turned off, and after that it does not turn on and does not charge, it constantly has no cellular connection.
It will be very difficult to solve such a problem on your own; you will need special equipment. This will require the help of a service center or the hand of an experienced craftsman.
The phone is completely discharged
What to do if iPhone is completely discharged and does not work while charging? If the iphone does not turn on after a full charge, then you need to put it on charge and wait at least 15 minutes. If after this time the iPhone does not turn on while charging, what should I do? You need to wait a little longer, some models require half an hour to resume the system.
That if the mobile phone has not been charged for a long time and now does not turn on, you can resume its work in the following way:
- Put it to charge until the battery symbol appears on the screen. This can take a long time. If, after a day, the mobile screen does not light up, it means that you will need to replace the battery.
- If the iphone does not turn on charging, then the problem is in the cable or ribbon.
The phone won’t charge
Everyone understands that if the iPhone does not charge, then the battery will soon run out and turn off. What to do if iPhone stops charging and won’t turn on?
- Check if there is current in the outlet. This happens quite often, the phone was charged, but it does not charge.
- Clean up contacts. It happens that the iPhone screen goes blank, it does not turn on. In this case, you need to check the contacts that could get clogged with dust. All connectors are cleaned using the needle included with the iphone. After disassembly, it should work, if this did not happen, then the problem is different.
There are many more reasons why your phone won’t charge or turn on. Each case is individual, sometimes the mobile can work after resetting the settings to make the system work again.
Why does not it charge. the main reasons
Is it possible to independently determine why the battery on the phone is not charging? If you decide not to contact the master yet, you can eliminate several potential causes of the malfunction yourself. To determine why the battery on your phone is not charging, take a close look at the connector. If the owner has a habit of leaving the smartphone on charge overnight, sometimes you may notice a color change in the connector area. This may indicate that it regularly overheated, so it is possible that the contacts have oxidized or deformed. In such cases, it is advised to very gently wipe them with alcohol.
The next step is to inspect the battery. Bloating can be detected by placing the battery on a table and twisting it. A serviceable battery adheres tightly to the surface so that rotation will not occur. The defective one will rotate easily. As soon as there are irregularities in the shape of the battery, it should be replaced immediately: it will still not be possible to fully charge the device. And with further use, the battery case may crack, the contents will fall on the board, and then the mobile will only have to be thrown away.
My phone won’t charge via USB
Owners of laptops and computers often combine business with pleasure: they use the USB port to charge the phone. However, it may well happen that this method will only bring disappointment. The phone does not charge from USB in several cases:
- the connector is too loose;
- oxidation of contacts has occurred;
- the wire is broken;
- the battery has become unusable;
- battery is incorrectly calibrated.
If your phone does not charge via USB, try feeding it with a power outlet. For this purpose, it is worth using a charger recommended by the manufacturer, and if you do not have one, an adapter. The process will go much faster.
Sometimes connecting to a different port can help, because the inputs of the laptop or computer may also be faulty. And sometimes the cause of the problem is inattention: if you do not fully insert either of the two ends of the cable, it will be impossible to charge the phone, since contact is not provided.
Notebook owners are also advised to check that the laptop is plugged into an electrical outlet. If the device is running on battery power, the system will often block the use of the USB ports. As long as you have at least one way to recharge your phone’s battery, don’t worry. However, it is important to constantly monitor the condition of the battery itself and not use it when the slightest signs of deformation appear.
What to do if your phone won’t charge
The rapid loss of charge on the means of communication causes serious inconvenience to the owners. If your mobile phone is not charging, you can always find the cause of the malfunction and correct the situation. And in cases where the mobile phone is not charged either from charging or from the USB port, it is recommended to contact a workshop for repair or replacement of individual parts.
Phone shows charging but not charging
If, when connected to a power source, the phone shows charging, but does not charge, the first step is to check which applications are running at that moment. Perhaps you forgot to turn off your mobile internet, Wi-Fi or game. However, the device may draw more power than it is supplied when charging, especially when using the USB port. When charging is in progress, but the phone is not charging, the reason may be a non-original charger. Cheap copies from China can seriously harm the battery, and the charging process turns into a lottery with unpredictable results. Therefore, it is much more profitable to purchase an original charger, with which you can power your mobile at any time. If you are using a quality device, then the failure may be due to a partial violation of the integrity of the cable. Internal damage can be invisible, so there is only one way to check. take a different charger.
Mobile phone does not charge
When the phone is not charging, you have to deny yourself many familiar entertainments: calling friends, watching clips, visiting your favorite sites. The estimated lifespan of modern batteries rarely exceeds two years, and the first symptom that heralds a quick replacement of this part is too fast a phone discharge and charging problems.
There are several options for a malfunction. In some cases, the device does not charge from a charger, in others. from USB, in others. it shows the battery charging process on the screen, but in the end it turns out to be only 10-20% charged. Many owners immediately purchase a new battery, but do not rush: in some cases, the battery may last for a long time, and the cause of the malfunction lies in the connector, charger cord or oxidized contacts.
Doesn’t charge. what to do
A battery charging problem can arise at any time. What to do if the phone won’t charge? To get started, try charging the device while it is off and make it one of your habits. In case of failure, experts recommend contacting friends with the same cell phone model and try to use their charger or cord to connect to a computer. If this operation was successful, buy yourself a new charger and cord.
Honor has it that the phone battery is not repaired: this part will have to be replaced. It is worth giving preference to original spare parts, because they are ideally adapted to the needs of a particular model.