Update existing version of Android 4.0.3 operating system on Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Model number GT-P5100.
You must first make a copy of all user data and system software for subsequent recovery on an updated system.
I draw your attention that these instructions and files are intended only for the GT-P5100 model (3G and Wi-Fi).
Everything you do with your device, you do at your own peril and risk.!
Install Samsung Kies or Samsung USB Driver for Mobile Phones x86 on a Windows 7 computer.
In my case, only after installing Samsung Kies, Odin3 was able to connect to the tablet. Therefore, I recommend installing the program, and then closing it and ending all processes through the “Windows Task Manager”.
Samsung Kies or Samsung USB Driver for Mobile Phones x86
Firmware for getting ROOT access on the tablet
Android 4.1.2 firmware. Official Hong Kong for GT-P5100 model. Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (Russian language available)
Android 4.0.4 firmware. Official Russian firmware for GT-P5100 model. Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Android 4.2.2 firmware Jelly Bean. Official France for GT-P5100 model. Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (latest at the moment 12/19/2013)
Getting ROOT rights in the tablet.
In order to make a copy of user and system data, TitaniumBackup needs to get ROOT access rights to system files. By default, the system works with limited rights to protect against damage and hacking.
Press the “Volume Up” button and the “Power On” button at the same time. The tablet will turn on and go into Download Mode, a warning will appear about possible problems during manual installation of applications and operating system.
To continue, press the “Volume down” button, to cancel and reboot, press “Volume up”.
Run the Odin3 program on a Windows computer and connect the tablet using a USB cable. In case of a successful connection, in the Odin program, the ID: COM cell will turn yellow and the port number will appear.
Check the boxes only for “Auto Reboot” and “F. Reset Time “, and then click the” PDA “button and specify the path to the file CF-Auto-Root-espresso10rf-espresso10rfxx-gtp5100.tar.md5, and then the” Start “button.
Upon completion of the firmware process, the window above the ID: COM cell will turn green and the text (succedd 1) will appear in the message logs.
The tablet will start to reboot and automatically set access rights, then reboot again and update the system.
How to manually update Android version on a Samsung tablet
In today’s computer world, everything flows and changes with the speed of a mouse click. Software developers and manufacturers are trying to quickly fix bugs and “bugs”, but unfortunately for the Russian-speaking user, these updates appear (officially) with a long delay.
Tireless computer enthusiasts follow the release of new versions of computer programs and try to upload ready-made instructions and solutions for not yet adapted firmware to the Internet.
Each of us has bought and used any mobile or computer device, and knows that there are software errors, shortcomings, hidden “bugs” and shortcomings that can only be identified by using the device for a while.
Having purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 tablet, I was happy and admired the capabilities and “features” of the device, but after a while, having calmed down from the new toy, I began to notice the “brakes” of the system, inconvenient arrangement of operating system elements, missing functions in some programs and utilities.
As a rule, in subsequent updates, comments and errors have already been eliminated. Therefore, the desires of those who want to install the released updates, patches, “fixes” as soon as possible, I understand and support. However, you need to understand that without certain knowledge and skills, the firmware process can end with damage to the device.
This step-by-step guide is intended for those who want to update the firmware as quickly as possible without really understanding the process. For everyone else, a direct path to w3bsit3-dns.com.RU website and forum.
Create and restore a backup copy of all user data and system software on Android.
Download the TitaniumBackup PRO 6.0.1.APK file and place it on the card or internal memory of the tablet.
Install the TitaniumBackup application, having previously allowed the installation of applications not from the Market. This can be done by checking the box in “Settings. Security. Unknown sources”.
Run the program and make a copy of all user data and system software (See step by step screenshots 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9).
Then save the TitaniumBackup folder to another medium (external memory card, hard drive).
To restore data, copy the saved TitaniumBackup folder back to the root of the card. Run the program and select the option to restore all software and data, after starting.
If you have nothing to save, then the item can be skipped!
Updating Android Firmware by Samsung Kies
Connect the gadget to your computer, launch the Kies application. It will inform you that an update has been released. and will offer to download it.
After the download is complete, the transfer of the new code to the mobile device will begin.
Loads into the device, wait until the end
The firmware of the mobile device has been successfully completed. The standard and pre-installed Android applications and components that are officially supplied for Samsung smartphones and tablets will be in place. There will be no only Android contacts and bookmarks.
Note: If there is no additional message, try a different USB port, one located on the back of the computer. In case One still does not recognize the device, reinstall the USB driver.
After completing the installation process, the tablet automatically restarts. And soon there will be a link with a green background in the far left field at the very top of Odin. Disconnect the USB cable from the tablet to disconnect it from the computer.
And now, the official XXDMG6 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean update should already be installed and running on the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. Go to Settings About tablet to check the new version of the device software.
What you need to know
- a huge number of pre-installed and standard applications that take away the performance resource, free disk space and battery power;
- the desire to use the engineering menu and other hidden capabilities of the device, disabled by the manufacturer;
- the desire to go through different official and “custom” firmware of the same platform;
- the desire to “hide” from tracking by the services of collecting information about the user;
- participation in the development and testing of third-party programs for mobile devices.
- loss of warranty;
- disabling the device (“oskirpichivanie”), entailing software repair of the gadget in the service center exclusively at its own expense during the warranty period;
- errors when starting some applications;
- inoperative hardware block or component in the device. for example, inadequate operation of GPS, Bluetooth, etc.;
- fast battery discharge (processes that are responsible for controlling the discharge at the Android level, and others that consume more resources than they should).
How to install Android 6.0.1 BlissMallow on Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5100
Tablets are undoubtedly very fun to use and quite easy to get hold of. This device is especially necessary for people whose work involves presentations and needs to keep a lot of material with them. One thing that you will notice in almost all tablets is their poor performance, which you would not expect from fairly new devices. Especially the Samsung tablets, like the old smartphones of this manufacturer, are lagging behind in receiving fresh updates.
The easiest way to get rid of lags and make your tablet run faster than usual is to say goodbye to stock firmware. When installing an unofficial firmware, you will increase the speed of your tablet, make the interface work smooth and pleasing to the eye. The latest unofficial firmware has proven itself well in terms of the performance of a device like the Galaxy Tab 2 1.1.
The unofficial firmware is based on Android 6.0 Marshmallow. Since the Galaxy Tab 2 has not received the latest official firmware, you can only count on the unofficial one. Custom firmware will not only allow you to install the latest version of Android, but also get additional functions.
BlissMallow gives you a lot of tablet customization options, adds a navigation bar and new animations. Let’s now prepare for the firmware of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5100 and update it to Android 6.0.1 BlissMallow.
overview of the functionality of the Samsung Kies application
Samsung Kies, despite its seeming difficulties, is a fairly feature-rich app for Samsung gadgets. It will serve as a worthy replacement for the Odin application. this is actually a kind of Samsung Mobile PC Suite out of the box. Enjoy your work!
After creating a backup, charging the tablet and connecting to a reliable internet signal source, you need to:
- Connect gadget to PC via USB.
- In the tablet settings, find the “OS version” item and quickly tap on it several times. Change the mode to the developer’s cabinet. This will allow you to make changes to your OS settings.
- Enable USB debugging mode (ibid. In the developer profile).
- After the icon of the connected device on the PC in “My Computer”, right-click and select “Update driver”.
- You must first download the file with the latest updates to your computer.
- Then you need to select “Search for drivers on this PC”.
- Click on the desired file and wait for the installation to complete.
After that, you need to turn off the tablet, disconnect from USB and turn it on. The new version of Android should already be in place.
In new versions of android, the section for superusers is presented as “For developers”
Using SD card
Having downloaded the file (ZIP format) with updates from the developer’s website or another resource (not recommended), you need to do the following:
- Go to downloads.
- Move the file to the root folder of the memory card.
- Turn off the tablet.
- Hold down the lock and volume up buttons at the same time.
- When the screen with the menu with access to the analog BIOS lights up, using the volume buttons, select the “Apply Update From Sdcard” item.
- Find the previously transferred installation file and select it.
- After that, using the buttons, return to the main menu and click on “Reboot System Now”. The tablet should start installing updates on its own and will be ready for use in a few minutes.
Most manufacturers install updates automatically. Users may not even notice this, as it usually happens at night. If this option suits you, but this is not provided for by the settings, you need to do the following:
- Go to Play Store.
- Click on the icon with three horizontal lines.
- Select “Settings”.
- Item “General”.
- Select “Auto-update applications”.
Important! From the proposed list, it is recommended to use “Only via Wi-Fi”.
Enabling the auto-update option graphically
How to update android version on Samsung tablet, Lenovo tablet and other devices without PC
Now how to upgrade the firmware. It doesn’t matter what model the tablet is. Lenovo, Prestigio, Huawei, Samsung or maybe ASUS. All of them, except iPad, work on Android, which means the process is similar.
There are several ways to update:
- by air via the Internet;
- use applications;
- on the manufacturer’s website;
- use memory card.
Which one is preferable, each user decides for himself, given that everyone has positive and negative sides. In the meantime, a small instruction on how to download in each way.
You can download the utility specifically for this. AnyCut is considered one of the most popular and proven OS developers.
- Go to the application.
- Click on “System Information”.
- Click on “Check for Updates”.
- Click on the install button, if there are any.
Note! Before clicking on the install button, you need to be puzzled about the observance of the conditions mentioned above (charge, connect to Wi-Fi, save a backup).
Upgrading the firmware of an old tablet to a new version via a computer
Most devices become obsolete after six months or a year. Nevertheless, the manufacturer provides them with support for up to two update cycles. That is, for example, if Android 7.0 is installed on the tablet, then it can be upgraded to version 9 as much as possible. How to put a new Android on an old tablet or, speaking in technical terms, reflash, is described below.
By air over the Internet
Usually, the system provides that when fresh updates are released and there is an Internet connection, the user is notified of the possibility of an upgrade. Having seen this signal, you need to do the following:
- Save a system backup (in case of software failure).
- Charge the tablet to at least 40%.
- Connect to Wi-Fi (mobile networks are not so good due to unstable signal, but if there is no alternative, then you can use them too).
- Click on the notification or go to settings and select “About Tablet PC”.
- Agree to install updates.
- Wait for the tablet to restart.
Note! Updating involves downloading a lot of data. Using mobile networks makes sense in the absence of limits.
Similar messages pop up when new updates are available.
Why and when to update Android on a tablet
Before moving on to the question of how to update Android on a tablet (or any other gadget), it is worth knowing why to do this at all. There are several reasons:
- the tablet will slow down less. Every update is a code. The shorter it is, the faster the device works. With each version, the system receives improved archiving, while expanding its functionality. Consequently, the gadget becomes faster and gets additional features (not always);
Android tablets delight with an increase in functionality every year
- bugs are eliminated, in other words, errors. Sometimes the user tries to open the application, but the device asks to wait, then forcibly close, or even stops working correctly. Programmers work on each update to ensure that this is not the case;
- the tablet becomes more secure. All kinds of virus attacks are not only a reality in Windows. A lot of malware has already been written for android. To prevent the gadget from falling victim to one of them, it is also worth taking care of timely updates;
- the interface is improving. Design does not stand still. It is always better to upgrade and use a technique with a laconically built picture and so-called intuitive navigation.
As for when and how often to update the android version on the tablet, as soon as the system message arrives that the user is awaiting fresh installation files.
The main task of updates is to fix system errors
How to update an Android phone or tablet
There are several ways to update Android. Let’s take a look at two of the safest ones. The first is by downloading the firmware file directly to the phone via Wi-Fi and updating the device. The second is by downloading the firmware to the computer and updating the smartphone already via a USB cable.
Both methods are equally good. But, if you turn on the paranoia mode, then the option with a computer seems preferable, because there you can make a backup copy of the already installed software on your smartphone and, if something goes wrong or you just don’t like the firmware, you can roll back everything.
Interesting! In some cases, if it has not been updated for a long time, only updating from a computer will work.
Whether the phone is Xiaomi, Samsung, Honor, Huawei, Sony or otherwise, the upgrade process will be almost identical. They only have a different shell and, accordingly, different notifications, menu items are called differently.
Updating Android. from a computer, via USB
First of all, download the software from the manufacturer of your device. With the help of such software, you can not only update, but also make a backup (except for Xiaomi, there is a separate program for these purposes). a backup of the entire phone before that.
Huawei and Honor. HiSuite
After downloading and installing the program. run it, do not forget to connect your smartphone or tablet to your computer.
On the main screen of the software, you can create a backup copy and make an update by clicking on the corresponding button.
Samsung. Samsung Kies and Smart Switch
Let’s look at Smart Switch as an example, download and install the software. Launch and connect your device to your computer. The main screen will display information about your device and, if a new version of the OS is found, a button will appear to install it.
Xiaomi. Fastboot Update or Local
Go to the link above, go to your phone model and follow the instructions that are specified specifically for your model. There will also be the latest version of the firmware that your device supports.
There are usually two options. Local or Fastboot. In the first case, the firmware is simply downloaded to the smartphone via USB and then installed, in the second, it is already necessary to install additional software on the PC, called MiFlash.
Updating the Android system. via Wi-Fi, from the phone
Let’s start with the simplest option, if you are the owner of new devices based on this system, then it is with the help of it that you can quickly update. Usually, when new firmware is released, a notification is received about this and you can immediately start downloading and update in the future.
Update Galaxy Tab A 2016 10.1 to #Android10
Just click. download / upload, after which the system will check everything itself and you can start.
If such a notification does not come, then we will check the availability of new versions manually. Go to the settings, go to the “About phone / tablet” tab and then to “System update”.
If such a notification does not come, then we will look for new versions manually. Go to the settings, go to the “About phone / tablet” tab and then to “System update”.
The system will check for new versions, if any, offer to download them and then install. do it.
After everything is installed and the smartphone reboots, I still recommend rebooting it again (just to be sure), sometimes if you don’t do it, the system can work in jerks, but rarely.
I do not recommend updating your device right away. without looking. This is quite an important step and before doing this you need to do a few very important things.
Charge your phone at least 70%, or better fully. If it turns off during the update, then turning it back on is unlikely to work. Watch this.
Is there enough space on your device. Some newer versions can go up to 2 GB.
Make sure to download the correct firmware. And if you are going to install not an official, but a third-party assembly.
Make a backup if using a PC. Especially important if you are installing not official, but third-party firmware.
Make sure the USB cable is working properly when connected to a PC. It is important that the connection is not lost. When updating via Wi-Fi, the firmware is first downloaded completely and checked by the system for errors, only after that it is installed, there should be no problems.
Do not disconnect your phone or tablet during the process. Make sure the battery is charged or, if the device is without a battery, that there will be constant voltage and the cable is working properly.
If you have ROOT. Then it will simply not be updated, you will have to remove it first.
Precautions before updating android to Samsung
Before you upgrade Android to Samsung (or any other gadget), you need to take some precautions to help avoid incorrect installation or loss of your data.
- charge the battery. The minimum indicator should show 50%;
- make a backup copy of account data (so that you can roll back the system in case of an error);
- close all applications;
- transfer the necessary media files to the SD card;
- disable power management mode;
- make sure there is enough memory in the internal space.
All this will help to minimize losses in the event that a software failure occurs during the update. Usually, with enough memory and a charge, everything runs smoothly.
Via computer Samsung PC Kies
Now it is worth considering a method that involves connecting to a computer. Samsung provides for this option and invites users not to flirt with unknown APK files, but to use the proprietary program Samsung PC Kies.
- Connect gadget to PC via USB.
- Wait until all drivers are installed.
- Launch Samsung PC Kies.
- Wait until the utility finds the device.
- Click on “Search for updates”. If there is, the program will offer to update the software.
Note! In this case, you do not have to allow the device to receive files from third-party sources in the settings.
The program itself notifies about the availability of updates
How to check for updates
Before updating Android on a Samsung phone, you need to check if there are, in principle, fresh updates. If a gadget has just gone on sale, usually the latest data package has already been downloaded to it.
- Open smartphone settings.
- Pay attention to the item “Software update”. Usually, immediately from the settings menu, you can notice an indicator that there are uninstalled updates.
- Then you can go to the section and see what the manufacturer offers to install.
Important! In the “About device” section, the user can see the numeric designation not only of the installed version of Android, but also of the shell (firmware) itself.
In this section, you can see the information that the manufacturer has prepared in the new update package and select the installation time
Why update software on Samsung phones
In fact, on any smartphone, be it Samsung Galaxy Mini, Xiaomi Redmi, or even iPhone X, updates are released annually, and sometimes every month. Thus, after the official release, manufacturers continue to work on the quality of their product.
Samsung Uses Its Own Android Shell
Of course, the number of pixels in the camera will not grow, and the number of cores in the processor will not increase, but:
- system security will improve;
- the list of supported protocols will be replenished;
- errors that arose after the launch of the product on sale will be corrected;
- energy consumption of high-capacity processes will be reduced;
- interface design will improve.
For your information! The user will not feel most of the updates in principle. They are designed only to maintain the same functionality, adjusting to the constantly evolving software market.
For example, if tomorrow the Viber communication protocol is updated, designed to improve the picture quality by reducing traffic consumption, the user will not be able to use the new modification without downloading the latest OS version for his device.
Galaxy TAB A: How to Software Update to Latest Android Version
Note! When it comes to manufacturers such as Samsung or Xiaomi, you should know that not only Android itself needs to be updated, but also its shell, which is installed by the manufacturers. Samsung calls it OneUI.
Through Recovery mode
For users who prefer to use the functions of Korean smartphones without restrictions, updates over the air are not available, since the manufacturer has a negative attitude towards activating Root rights.
For your information! With this method, users can change the skin, for example, install the firmware from Xiaomi MIUI.
It is important to strictly adhere to the instructions:
- Apply all the precautions above before upgrading.
- Download the desired APK file to the memory card.
- Turn off the phone.
- Hold down the power and volume up buttons to call Recovery mode.
- Select “Apply Update From SD-card”.
- Find the desired APK file and click “Install”
The system can be updated up to 30 minutes. depending on the selected shell and its version.
Recovery mode and the desired item clearly
Possible problems during the update and how to solve them
Despite the high level of software, from time to time users encounter problems like:
- unwillingness of the system to use the Wi-Fi sensor (in the update settings, enable “Check only via Wi-Fi”);
- applications are not updated. This usually happens due to activated Root rights. You will have to reinstall each manually;
- all applications are gone (in the settings in the “Applications” section, check the activation checkboxes).
In addition, users may encounter problems below.
This is another program from the developers of the Android shell for Samsung. The utility is also available on the brand’s website. The functionality and procedure are completely similar to Samsung PC Kies. The only utility is also available to PC owners on MacOS X.
Smart Switch also notifies itself that there are new update packages for this device.
Through the manufacturer’s website
On the websites of some manufacturers, for example, Asus, there are installation files for the new version of Android. This is not a single executable file, but a.zip archive.
Step-by-step instructions for downloading and installing the update through the manufacturer’s website:
- Open your device brand website via a mobile browser. Above, I cited ASUS as an example and gave the corresponding link.
- Find the section “Support”, “Support” or “Software” on the website.
- Enter the full name of your device in the search or find it using sorting (if available on the site).
- Download the installation archive to your tablet. It is desirable for the memory of the gadget in the root folder.
- Turn off the machine.
- During power on, call the recovery menu by holding down the power and volume down buttons (or up, depending on the device). Sometimes this combination is different, for example, the keyboard shortcut “Home” and “Shutdown”.
- The Recovery text menu appears. You can move the selection slider with the volume buttons, and select with the power button (or “Home”).
- Select “Apply Update”.
- Select the directory where the installation archive was downloaded. In this case, the archive is in the root folder (on the tablet’s memory), which means, click “internal storage”.
- Find the name of the installation archive and select it.
- The operating system will start updating, after which the recovery menu will be displayed again.
- Click on “Reboot system now”. The device will reboot after being updated.
Follow the instructions carefully and enjoy the new OS.
Why you need to update Android on time
Global system updates add new features, install new anti-malware protocols, and apply various techniques to improve performance. Plus, it fixes past bugs, bugs, and comes free.
In addition to all of the above, new firmware often solves local user problems. For example, a non-working camera can work after updating the operating system. This solution is much easier than reinstalling the firmware or doing a factory reset.
It is everyone’s choice to update the system or use the old version. You are not required to install new versions of the operating system.
The last tip is for those looking to download the new Android to a device that doesn’t support it. Even if the old device is equipped with powerful hardware and will definitely “pull” the new OS, it should not be installed.
Why? Because the operating system is not optimized for the old model. Namely, the optimization depends on how well the firmware will work. Not from the power of the accessories.
How to update Android version on tablet
Updating the operating system on Android is pretty straightforward. In addition, there are several ways to do this: use automatic update, download the installation file on the manufacturer’s website, use an external drive (SD card), use a computer program, update third-party software. I have detailed each of these methods below. I recommend trying all the options in the order in which they are written.
Using SD card
The method using an SD card follows from the previous one, since it implies everything the same, only the installation archive is loaded onto the memory card.
This method is suitable for those who do not have free space in the tablet’s memory. The only difference in the update instructions is to download the archive to the SD card and when you select in the recovery menu, instead of “internal storage” open “sdcard”.
You can also download an archive from a PC or any other device to a flash card.
Using a computer
The method of installing Android through a computer is as simple as automatic updates. You just need to download and install the appropriate proprietary program on the PC, which will scan the device and find all the latest firmware versions.
You can find the software on the website of the respective manufacturer.
Especially for you, dear readers, I have collected links to the pages with the program of all popular tablet manufacturers, except ASUS, since they do not have their own software.
- Samsung, Smart Switch program;
- Huawei, HiSuite program;
- Lenovo Smart Assistant.
All three programs have Russian-language localization, and the links above contain not only the software installation file, but also step-by-step instructions. Do not forget to connect your gadget to your computer via a USB cable!
Where to get the latest Android version
Before looking for how to update the Android version to the latest version, you need to find out if this version is specifically for your model.
To do this, just type in the search engine Google or Yandex the request: Android (version) on the tablet (brand and model of the device).
For example, “Android 9.0 for Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 SM-T865”. If you find that your gadget supports the new firmware, then feel free to install it.
The file with the latest version of the operating system for Android tablets can be found on the website of some manufacturers.
Most manufacturers offer to update the Android version automatically or using a proprietary PC program.
Leading brands like Samsung, Huawei, and Lenovo have both of these options. Asus, instead of a proprietary program for PC, offers an archive with an operating system.
The most popular way to install a new version of an operating system is to update automatically via the Internet. Usually, when an update is released and if the device supports it, a notification appears on the display about the release of a new firmware. All that is required from the user is to agree with the download and leave the device alone for a while.
A situation may arise when the notification is not displayed, for example, because the “do not disturb” mode is on or the system notifications are turned off by hand. You can update the gadget yourself through the settings menu by selecting “Software Update”.
If there is a new version of Android, then the inscription “Update system” will be active below. Click on it to start downloading the new firmware. When the download is complete, the device will automatically reboot and the installation process will begin.
It is very important not to turn off the tablet during installation, otherwise the device will become a dead “brick”. Therefore, you need to have a charged gadget.
Also, an important detail is a fairly fast Internet speed (at least from 4 Mbps). Despite the fact that the system data package will first be downloaded and only then installed, some part of the OS will be downloaded during the installation process (but recently the developers refuse to download from the Internet during the installation).
In very rare cases, the new OS version will not be in the settings. For this, there are the following options.
Preparing to update the tablet firmware
Despite the fact that updating the operating system is not as definitive as flashing or resetting to factory settings, I advise you to prepare your tablet before updating.
First of all, you should back up all user data.
A backup can be made to your Google account, to do this, open the settings, then select the “Restore” section (“Restore and reset”, “Privacy”) and click “Backup”.
Google preferences backup
Or, you can manually copy important files to an external storage device, be it a PC or a memory card.
Next, check if there is free memory. There should be at least 500 megabytes of memory on the internal storage, since the updated firmware is installed in the system memory in most cases.
And the last thing. charge the gadget at least 90%.
If the device is old and the battery runs out very quickly, then leave it connected to the charger when updating.