Connecting the TV to the Internet with a network cable from the provider.
This method does not require any additional devices and at first it may seem that everything is simple, but this is not entirely true. The thing is that providers use various connection technologies, for example PPPoE, L2TP, Dynamic IP, Static IP. The settings that need to be made on the TV in order for the Internet to work there depend on what technology your provider uses. You can find out what technology your provider uses by looking at the agreement with the provider or by calling technical support. Next, I propose to disassemble each of the connection technologies:
Dynamic IP. If your ISP uses a Dynamic IP, a minimum of effort is required from you:
1 Connect the network cable of the provider to the TV;
2 Make sure your TV is using Auto search for network settings.
For example, I will describe how to do this on LG TVs with webOS.
Press the “Settings” button on a regular remote control.
If you have a remote magic, press the “Input” button.
Then select “Network”. “Ethernet wired connection”. There you should see the inscription “Connected to the Internet”, if so, then congratulations, you have configured the Internet on your TV.
If you see the inscription “No connection to the Internet via Ethernet”, select this connection and make sure that it is set to automatically receive network settings.
Static IP. With this method of connection, you need to find out from the contract with the provider your network settings and register them in the TV settings. We do everything in steps:
1 Connect the network cable of the provider to the LAN port of the TV.
2 Go to the TV settings and write down the network settings of the provider.
For example, on LG TVs, press the “Settings” button, select from the menu. “Network”. “Wired Ethernet Connection”,
Uncheck the “Automatic” box and write down the IP address, mask, gateway, DNS issued by the provider.
PPPoE, L2TP. Unfortunately, very few TVs allow you to configure the Internet if your ISP provides the Internet using PPPoE, L2TP technologies. And for most, the way out of this situation is to use a router to connect the TV to the Internet.
How to set up a TV to connect to the Internet
Most modern TVs have ceased to be just repeaters of analog or digital television, they have such features as Smart TV, Skype communication and much more. But most of the new features that have emerged are based on one paramount. Internet access from the TV. It is thanks to Internet access that you can fully use Smart TV, watch movies from the Internet, chat on Skype, add and use other TV functions. How to set up the Internet on a TV is the primary task that arises immediately after purchasing it. In this article, I will show in detail how to connect a TV (suitable for any TV. LG, Philips, Samsung, Sony, etc.) to the Internet using a LAN cable.
2 Using a Wi-Fi wireless connection.
In this article, I will describe the first method in detail. The main advantage of this method is that you will have practically no loss of Internet speed, unlike a wireless connection. This is especially important if your internet speed is slow. And the minus is that it is necessary to pull the network cable to the TV, BUT it is not at all necessary to do this, since there are technologies that allow the transmission of network packets over the power network, described in more detail in the article Internet / local home network through an outlet. HomePlug AV technology.
Connecting a cable to a TV is not as simple as it might seem the first time, because you need to understand where this cable comes from, where one of its ends is connected. And here there are two options:
2 The network cable comes from the entrance (provider’s cable).
Let’s take a closer look at each of the options.
Setting up the Internet on the TV when connected via a router.
For this method, it is necessary that the Internet has already been configured on the router (you can find how to configure the router in other articles on our website). Connect one end of the cable to any LAN port of the router.
Go to the TV settings. On LG TVs, for this, on the usual remote control, press the “Settings” button
or the “Input” button on the remote magic remotes
Go to the “Network” menu. “Wired Ethernet connection” and make sure that below this label says “Connected to the Internet”.
If this is not the case, check that the TV will receive the network settings automatically by choosing an Ethernet connection. Click the “Change” button.
Thus, without much effort, using a LAN cable, you can set up the Internet on any TV (LG, Philips, Samsung, Sony, etc.).
Immediately after setting up the Internet, I recommend updating the firmware on your TV:
Through a TV set-top box
You need to understand what you need to connect. Standard TV set-top boxes from different manufacturers have the functions of watching TV, browser, and home theater. They are analogous to “Smart TV”. The set-top box connects to a router using a LAN cable or Wi-Fi, and to a TV via HDMI. IP address settings are set in the STB menu.
An Android set-top box is an analogue of a mobile phone or tablet, the interface of which opens on a large screen. Applications downloaded from the Play Market can be used from the TV. On TV, access to work with e-mail and instant messengers, viewing online channels via the Internet opens. To do this, you need to study the instructions for finding and setting up channels.
Such a set-top box allows you to connect the Internet to an old TV that does not have a Smart TV function or Wi-Fi receivers. In fact, this is such a minicomputer.
Via PC or laptop
Users can connect an old TV or any modern TV model to their computer or laptop. The device will operate in 2 modes:
- Image repeat: TV acts as a display. You can open a browser and watch movies, but the device is controlled only through a computer. Use HDMI or VGA to establish the connection.
- Reading data from a computer. You can get access to computer data using the established local network. The user will be able to watch movies and listen to music stored on the PC hard drive without an internet connection.
How to connect and configure the Internet on a TV?
Many TV owners would like to access the Internet from their devices without using a PC. Knowing how to connect a TV to the Internet, a person can not spend money on buying a computer or laptop. This can be done using a headset and special equipment.
What TVs can be connected to the Internet
You can connect the Internet to a TV that has the “Smart TV” function. With this technology, the user can change the device settings online. With the Smart TV option, the TV is connected to the Internet via a local network or using a wireless Wi-Fi connection.
You can go online from a regular TV without Smart TV. Before you connect the Internet on your TV, you need to prepare a TV set-top box to which you need to connect an HDMI cable. This equipment allows you to access the Internet from a TV without built-in Wi-Fi.
There are the following ways to connect your TV to the Internet:
- direct connection using a cable for models with a built-in LAN connector;
- using a Wi-Fi router, special set-top box or PLC adapter;
- enabling WPS;
- signal transmission through a computer or laptop;
- setting “Smart TV”.
Knowing how to access the Internet from a TV using this equipment, you can take advantage of all the benefits of such a connection.
Direct cable connection
There are several ways to connect. If the device has a LAN input, you can connect the TV to the Internet via a cable by connecting it directly to this port. With a dynamic IP address, a network cable connection will be created without any additional user action. The TV will immediately receive an IP address that opens access to the Internet.
If the provider provides a static IP, the subscriber will have to set the necessary parameters in the settings manually. In the TV menu, find the “Network / Network Connection” item and go to the “Configure Connection” tab. Using the remote control, you must select the “Manual setting” item and press the “Wired” button. Here you must enter the IP address and DNS, confirm the changes. After that, the user can independently build a route map.
What is required to connect
Before connecting, make sure you have the necessary equipment:
- router and configured internet access point;
- LAN cable for direct connection.
The owner of the television device must first study the technical instructions for the TV and find out his IP address for further settings. It is recommended to obtain information about the type of connection provided by your ISP. There is static and dynamic IP or PPPoE, which also needs to be considered.
Through a router
The router allows you to connect several devices to the Internet: computer, laptop, TV. Through the port of the router, you can connect to the TV using a cable or via WI-FI. In the first case, one end of the cable is connected to the built-in TV port, and the other to the input located on the back of the router and marked in yellow. If everything is done correctly, data from the router will be transmitted to the TV, on the panel of which the port indicator will light up. Finally, you need to select the type of IP used and manually enter the necessary data.
You can establish a Wi-Fi wireless connection on a TV device equipped with a built-in Wi-Fi module. To activate it, you need to do the following:
- check the functionality of the connected router;
- open the device menu and in the settings go to the “Network connection” item, if necessary, indicate the type of connection. wireless;
- in the list that appears, select an available wireless point of your home network;
- enter password and wait for connection.
If there is no Wi-Fi adapter, you can connect to the Internet using WPS. Wi-Fi Protected Setup. To do this, you need to know the login and password set on the router. There is a WPS button on the back of the router, you must press and hold it for a few seconds, then activate the WPS function on the TV, if necessary, enter a special code.
Communication with a mobile device is possible without the mediation of a router. This function becomes available when SWL is disabled.
- Direct connection of a new device
- Follow steps 1 to 6 in Setting up using PBC (WPS).
- Call up the list of devices and networks through the “Network selection” menu item.
- Press the blue button on the remote control.
- The message “Wi-Fi Direct to Mobile Phone or Computer. The network may have limited functionality. Do you want to change your network connection? “
- Enter the SSID and Security Key on the access point to be connected.
- Direct connection of an existing device
- You need to complete steps 1 to 6 of the PBC (WPS) setup.
- Open the list via the “Network selection” menu item.
- Enter the desired device.
- If a security key is required, write it down. If the network is not working properly, you should check your login and PIN. Incorrect key can lead to incorrect operation of the device.
How to connect a TV to Wi-Fi using auto-configuration
Samsung’s auto-configuration feature allows you to associate your TV receiver with third-party wireless access points. If they do not support this function, then the connection must be made using PBC (WPS), automatic or manual configuration.
Before connecting the TV to Wi-Fi, you must turn off SWL.
You can check if a specific device supports the auto-configuration feature at www.Samsung.com.
How to connect your TV to Wi-Fi via PBC
If the access point has a PBC button, the procedure is as follows:
- Connect TV receiver with Wi-Fi adapter.
- Turn it on, press MENU on the remote control, use the ▲ buttons and go to the “Settings” section.
- Select the menu item “Network”.
- Enter the type “Wireless”.
- Open the menu item “Network settings”.
- Press the red button on the remote control.
- Within 2 min. hold down the PBC button on the access point. The TV receiver will automatically receive the required settings and a network connection will be established.
- Press the RETURN button to exit.
To connect to a network, the TV must communicate with a Wi-Fi access device (modem, router). If it supports DHCP, then a static IP address and DHCP can be used to connect to Smart TV.
It is necessary to select an unused communication channel. If the frequency is occupied by another nearby device, it will cause interference and loss of connection.
The use of security systems other than the following is not supported.
According to the new Wi-Fi certificate specifications, modern TVs do not support high-bandwidth 802.11N mode and the encryption type WEP, TKIP or TKIPAES.
With WPS, the network connection is made by pressing the PBC button or by entering the PIN code. SSID and WPA key will be configured automatically.
If not certified, the device cannot be connected to a television receiver.
Wi-Fi connection can be made in the following ways:
- auto-configuration for devices not manufactured by the manufacturer of the TV receiver;
- PBC (WPS);
- auto-tuning using automatic network search;
- manual installation;
- SWL for Samsung devices.
The Wi-Fi adapter may not be recognized or work properly when connected to a third-party hub or USB cable.
How to connect a TV to Wi-Fi: settings, instructions. Smart TV
You can connect the TV to the Internet via Wi-Fi using a wireless router or a modem and a wireless network adapter connected to the USB connector of the TV receiver.
If other methods do not work, you need to enter the network parameters manually. You must first obtain the connection data. To do this, on a Windows computer, perform the following actions:
- Right-click on the network icon at the bottom right of the screen.
- In the pop-up menu, select the item “State”.
- Go to the “Support” tab.
- After clicking the “Details” button, the network settings will be displayed.
This function makes it possible to connect modern TVs to an access point that supports PBC. It is possible to establish a connection without a Wi-Fi router.
Before connecting the TV to Wi-Fi, the access point must already be connected to the wireless network.
Normal operation of the adapter is possible only with the USB 1 port. Devices using the 2.4 GHz frequency are supported. 5 GHz frequency not applicable.
Direct connection of the TV receiver to a PBC-enabled device is possible when SWL is set to On and the Wi-Fi adapter is plugged into the USB port.
To connect using SWL, you need to do the following:
- Perform steps 1-5 of the setup with PBC.
- Select SWL and press ENTER to turn it on.
- Open “SWL Connection”.
- If the message “Hold down the PBC button of the device to be connected for 120 seconds” appears, follow these steps. For more information, please refer to the instruction manual.
- Once the TV is connected to the network, the countdown window will automatically close. If the connection cannot be established, try again after 2 minutes.
Configuring using plug and play
- Place an access point (AP) and a TV nearby and turn them on. Since loading times can vary, you may need to wait about two minutes. Before connecting the TV to a Wi-Fi router, you need to make sure the network cable is connected to the router port. Otherwise, autoconfiguration will only verify the connection with the access point, and there will be no confirmation of the Internet connection.
- After a few minutes, connect the adapter to the TV. After that, a pop-up window will appear.
- After connecting, place the router parallel to the network adapter no further than 25 cm from it.
- You need to wait until the automatic connection occurs. Otherwise, a window with a message about the malfunction will appear on the screen. To try again, you need to reboot the router, disconnect the adapter, and start again from step 1. You can also choose another connection method: auto, manual or PBC.
- Place the AP in the desired location. If its parameters have changed, or a new access point is configured, the steps must be repeated from the beginning.
Using Plug Access
The functionality helps to carry out the procedure at the expense of a flash card. It is inserted into the USB port of the adapter, and then into the TV. The process takes a few seconds of time, but not all routers are equipped with such an output.
After exiting the menu of the Android operating system, debugging of the wireless Internet becomes available. The user will have to choose a convenient type of connection, enter the password from the router.
Important! The TV receiver Mystery receives the IP address automatically from the router. To do this, just turn on the function of detecting equipment in the grid.
For a first-time TV receiver, the standard scheme applies:
- The settings indicate the country of residence and language.
- The place of TV use is registered.
- The type of network connection is selected. Wi-Fi.
After entering the password, the Thomson system will automatically check for software updates, offer to replace.
How to connect a TV to Wi-Fi. features for TV from different manufacturers
When buying a new device, the owner is faced with the question of how to connect the TV to Wi-Fi and configure it correctly. The options depend on the type of equipment, following the step-by-step instructions will help you quickly solve the problem.
Device connection diagram
- Why connect to the network
- How to check if the TV supports Wi-Fi
- How to turn on Wi-Fi on your TV
- Connection methods
- Password entry
- Connecting the TV to a hidden network
- With WPS One Foot connection
- Using Plug Access
- Using WPS-PIN
- Using laptop
- Via Wi-Fi adapter
- Connection and configuration depending on the model
- Possible problems and solutions
The technique is used in the absence of an adapter and the presence of equipment with the Internet via a network cable. The laptop allows you to distribute Wi-Fi to various devices, including a TV. The only condition is that the hardware must have a version of Windows 7 or higher.
Before debugging, Honor needs a few nuances:
- an adapter must be present on the laptop;
- a special driver with Virtual Wi-Fi support is installed on it;
- PC must be connected to the internet.
The procedure goes through the command line, to start it, they go from “start” to “all programs”, then to “standard” and select the item of the same name in the list. The launch is carried out on behalf of the administrator.
- The following command is copied to the address bar: netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode = allow ssid = “wi-fi” key = “qwertyui” keyUsage = persistent.
- “Enter” is pressed. If done correctly, the screen will confirm the possibility of creating an access point.
- The line says: netsh wlan start hostednetwork. The action is confirmed with the “Enter” button. On successful launch, the display will report on the launch of the hosted grid.
After turning on the TV set, an access point with the previously entered name will appear on the screen. After clicking on its shortcut, you need to enter a password and allow general Internet access:
- From the “Sharing Center” go to “change adapter settings”.
- RMB click on the router, you need to find the actual connection and open the subsection “properties”.
- In the “access” tab, put a check mark in the first window, then select the “wireless network connection” block. The action is confirmed with the “ok” key.
If the algorithm is executed correctly, the laptop will begin to distribute the Internet to the rest of the devices.
Connecting a TV and laptop
You can connect a pair when executing the algorithm:
- The “line” block is found in the equipment menu, then you need to go to the “connection with WPS-PIN” item.
- The code that appears on the display is entered in the adapter settings.
- For debugging, any browser is opened on the computer, where the IP address of the router is registered. On the login page, enter your password and login.
- In the adapter settings, you need to find “WPS”, press the “add device” button and enter the code shown on the display.
- The procedure ends by clicking on the “connect” button.
Important! The operation is confirmed by the inscription “connection successfully established”.
How to turn on Wi-Fi on your TV
On almost all devices, a typical algorithm is:
- look for the subsection “line” in the menu;
- move to the “parameters” block;
- go to the “automatic configuration wizard”;
- select the current connection option.
The system will display the IP address. If the procedure went wrong and the equipment refuses to receive the signal, then the adjustment will have to be done in manual mode.
Enabling wireless connection
Features of connection in Sony Bravia
Setting up Smart TV technology in Sony Bravia TVs is significantly different:
First of all, press the Home button on the remote control:
This will take the user to the main menu of the TV.
Then, in the window that opens, select the icon with the image of a suitcase, after which the “Settings” menu will appear:
In the drop-down list, select the “Network” item:
As a result, several more items will appear, from which you should select “Update Internet Content”:
After these steps, the Internet will conditionally reboot, and the TV will tune to the desired network. This completes the Smart TV setup.
Setting up Samsung TVs
A user manual is supplied with the TV, which thoroughly explains the connection procedure, but not detailed Smart TV settings. Perhaps this is due to the fact that Samsung is fully confident that there will be no problems during the connection:
On the remote control, you need to go to the Smart Hub menu:
To test the Smart TV, just launch any of the available applications:
If it starts, then the technology is working successfully, and you can start enjoying all the benefits of the service.
Smart TV connection
To use all the features of Smart TV technology, your TV must be connected to the Internet. This can be done in 2 ways:
- wireless connection using a Wi-Fi network;
- connecting TV and router using an Internet cable.
The most correct thing is to decide on a connection method even before purchasing a TV. However, it is highly recommended that you purchase devices that interact with the Internet via Wi-Fi. This method of connecting to the network is much faster than an Internet cable, the circuit is much easier to connect, you can avoid unnecessary expenses and laying a cable around the apartment.
In any case, it’s easy to connect Smart TV technology to the Internet:
- Cable connection.
This is the simplest way, although not very practical. An Internet cable is taken and directly connected between the TV, modem and Ethernet port. The connection will be recognized instantly, after which you can start using all the amenities of the Smart TV system on your TV: watch videos, download them, use Skype (if you have peripheral equipment).
- moving devices is difficult and depends entirely on the location of the router and the length of the cable;
- the slightest damage to the wire can cause some instability in the network or completely ruin the Internet connection;
- over time, the cable sheath may crack, exposing the insides of the cable (the likelihood of electric shock increases);
- in some cases, it is not possible to lay an additional cable beautifully (under the baseboard or floor), as a result, it will lie sloppily right on the floor.
- the simplest connection scheme that you can think of (any person can handle it, even a full-fledged beginner);
- there is no need to understand the settings and somehow additionally tune the TV to receive a signal;
- 99% of all faults are in the cable. after replacing it, the Internet reappears;
- The Internet cable is purchased at a low price, and the whole connection procedure takes no more than 1 minute.
One end of the LAN cable must be connected to the Ethernet jack on the Smart TV, and the other end to an external internet modem. The modem itself also connects to the Ethernet port in the wall (if not already done). Then the device will recognize a new connection for a short time, and access to the Internet will appear. This ends the connection.
- Wireless connection.
To connect Smart TV via Wi-Fi, you need to have a built-in Wi-Fi module in the TV. It is he who will “catch” the Internet from the router. If you do not have one, you should purchase a special adapter (a small device that connects to a TV / computer), which will act as a link. Such an adapter is connected to the USB port on the TV.
First you need to make sure that the Wi-Fi router is working properly and is fully connected to the Internet. Further, after installing the adapter (not required with a built-in module) in the TV options, select the appropriate section and start the process of searching for available Wi-Fi connections.
If you have a security code / password, you will need to enter it during the connection process. As soon as the connection between the TV and the Wi-Fi router is configured, the user will have full access to Internet resources and applications.
Also, a user manual is always included with the purchased TV, which has comprehensive information about the rules for connecting, setting up and using Smart TV technology.
How to connect Smart TV to the Internet via a LAN cable and via Wi-Fi, see the following
- PC connection.
The use of Smart TV technology can be achieved through a computer. You can connect TV in 2 ways:
However, an HDMI connection will not be able to provide Internet access. Thus, it will only be possible to watch movies on a computer using the TV as a monitor.
But when connected to a computer through the Wi-Fi setting, the Internet will become available, as if you connect to a regular router (in fact, this is the same thing).
After all the procedures, it remains only to finally set up Smart TV.
Features of setting up LG TVs
Different TVs have different settings, so for Smart TV to work properly, it is important to configure the device for the correct Internet connection.
For TV models from the LG manufacturer, it is often required to register in the Smart TV system. Without this, it will be impossible to install and use applications (like the rest of the TV’s functionality).
First you need to go to the main TV menu. Then in the upper right corner of the menu there will be a button to log into your account. There it will be necessary to enter a username and password from it, but since the account does not exist yet, it must be created. For this you need the button “Create an account / Register”.
In the form that opens, you should come up with and enter a password, login, and add an email address:
In any of the cases, during the registration process, you will need a smartphone or computer to enter your email and confirm the process of registering a profile on the network.
Further, the data specified during registration must be entered in the mentioned registration window in the main menu on the TV. After that, Smart TV will be finalized and no other actions are required.
Connecting and setting up Smart TV
Most modern TVs are equipped with Smart TV technology. Thanks to it, you can connect to the Internet through the TV interface and watch high-quality movies online. And even this is not the end, because having a camera and a microphone, you can communicate via the Skype application. But for everything to work out, it is important to correctly connect and configure Smart TV.
What to do if it was not possible to connect to the Internet?
But what to do when a variety of errors occur, it is difficult to say. Each malfunction has its own solutions, so it is impossible to determine the actions that will surely help.
However, you can try to fix the error in the most common way. Delve into the Smart TV settings and change them if necessary:
The item “Menu” is selected, then “Network” and “Network Settings”:
A message will also appear there, which will offer to automatically try to configure the connection.
If the Internet can be configured, a message appears. If not, then a notification with an error will “pop up”.
If it is impossible to establish a connection in this way, you need to go to the “Network status” menu. It is located directly under the “Network Settings”:
In a new window, you need to go to the “IP Settings” item, and then select the automatic receipt of the IP address:
If this does not help, then you will have to enter all the data yourself:
You can find out the IP address, subnet mask, etc. by contacting your Internet provider via a phone call. Also, if you have a computer and use the same Internet, you can go to the local connection menu and select “Details”. In the window that appears, all data about the Internet network will be shown, but for Smart TV only the underlined ones will be of interest:
They should be entered in the TV menu in the sections of the same name.
After the steps taken, the Internet connection should be established, and you can start using Smart TV on a Samsung TV.
Identical actions for setting up the network can be carried out on any other models, since the difference lies only in the location of the menu and the names of the sections. But no need to worry, because they will be intuitive: “Network Settings” and “Network Settings” are one and the same.
To test Smart TV, you can run any application or otherwise try to use the TV functions that require the Internet. If it works, then everything is in order, but if not, you need to configure. Everything is very simple, the main thing is to understand the essence of the device and carefully read the instructions for the user.