Can’t Activate iPhone
When setting up the iphone after the reset, a pop-up message may appear stating that the device cannot be activated due to the server unavailability. First, check the availability of a SIM, as well as the Internet or Wi-Fi. If the problem is not due to signal strength, do the following:
- Connect the device to the PC (using a wire).
- On the welcome screen, click on the “i” icon at the bottom of the display. IMEI should be highlighted.
Lack of activation and serial number means that the reset phone is not working properly. You need to contact the service to replace the modem. Another reason is the replacement of gadget components with non-original ones during repair (for ios 11). In this case, either the device’s warranty or contacting an official service to replace parts or reflash will help.
The phone does not turn on
- Charge your smartphone: the battery may have been completely discharged during the reset or recovery process.
- If, before the reset, the gadget also could not be turned on or after a full charge it “does not show signs of life”, contact the service: the problem is related to hardware problems.
Via iCloud cloud
For data recovery, you can back up your phone through iCloud options. This operation is recommended to be carried out via Wi-Fi.
- Through Settings, log into your iCloud profile.
- In the cloud options, select backup.
- Click “Create” and do not disconnect the Internet until the end of the process.
Press the return button and check the success of the operation: under the backup option, the date and time of the last copy is displayed.
IPhone Eraser app allows you to quickly format your iPhone and reset it to factory version without the ability to recover deleted data. The program supports all models of iPhones and is not demanding on the computer OS.
- Connect iPhone and PC with cord and launch Eraser.
- To start the process, click Full Data Erase.
- Confirm the reset of the gadget by pressing Erase again.
- Do not close the window or disconnect the device until the process is complete (the utility shows the progress and informs about the end of the reset).
Possible problems and solutions
Even full compliance with the instructions does not guarantee that the factory reset will go as planned. There are several reasons why it was not possible to successfully complete the reset operation, all of them can be solved.
The ReiBoot program in a few clicks will help the owner return the smartphone to working condition if it freezes, in constant reboot mode, does not turn on or does not respond to other actions. Factory settings will be restored without connecting to iTunes and iCloud
- Download ReiBoot from the official website, install and open.
- Connect the iPhone with the cable to the PC, and then specify the deep recovery option in the program.
- Enter the route to save the new package or download it from the Internet.
- Click “Start Recovery”. Do not disconnect the cable from the computer until the operation is complete.
You can copy all iPhone data through computer and iTunes profile.
- Use a cable to connect the device to the computer.
- Open Finder (Mac) or iTunes (Windows or older Mac).
- Log in to the application by following the commands in the explorer.
- Select your device.
- Specify the desired parameters of the backup copy: if you need to save data from the Health and Activity applications, you need to check the Encrypt copy option, otherwise it is not necessary to encrypt the copy. Then click on “Back up now” and wait for the backup to complete.
If you encrypted a backup file, you cannot restore it via iTunes without a password. Write down the password right away, as it will be impossible to return to this step later.
Restoring data from a backup
After the device update is completed, you will have a completely blank iPhone in your hands. To return personal information, it is necessary to restore all data previously saved to a copy. The way how to restore iPhone after reset depends on which method of copying information you have previously selected.
Algorithm of actions for restoring the backup version to icloud.
- Open “Settings”.
- Select “Recover via iCloud Copy”.
- Enter your personal username and password from your AppleID.
- Wait for the operation to complete.
Important: the download process is lengthy and can take up to 1 hour. Charge the device in advance to prevent emergency interruption of recovery.
If copying was carried out using aytyuns:
- Connect using the iPhone cable to the device with the latest version of iTunes downloaded.
- Enter the program, if necessary, enter the code for synchronization.
- Select the gadget in the sidebar of the application.
- In the “Overview” section, indicate that you need to “Recover from a copy”.
- From the options offered by the service, select the current copy and confirm the action by clicking on “Restore“.
- Do not disconnect iPhone from the PC as soon as the device restarts: to restore smoothly, you should wait until the re-sync is complete.
In the event that sync with icloud is not activated on the smartphone and data has not been copied (the iPhone was broken, did not turn on, you forgot about the copy), you can restore the data using one of the special utilities:
- iSkysoft iPhoneDataRecovery;
- Disk Drill;
- Gihosoft Free iPhoneDataRecovery;
- PhoneRescue etc.
How to Factory Reset iPhone Without Apple ID Password in 2021
Modern mobile devices have many levels of protection, which often make the system inaccessible not only for intruders and outsiders, but also for the owners themselves. The reason is trivial, because both old and young people can forget the entered password, especially if they are often changed to enhance the security of the gadget, which can be fraught with similar consequences. And everything would be fine, but only the number of attempts to enter the coveted cipher is limited, so you should never rush to try all possible combinations so as not to block the device.
What is an Apple ID password and why it is dangerous to forget it
One of these security codes is the Apple ID password, found exclusively in Apple products from Cupertino. And unlike many other locking tools, the use of this key is mandatory, and from the very beginning of the device’s operation, that is, from the moment of its first setup.
In the first case, the user is prompted to enter a name written in the Latin alphabet with the obligatory ending “@ icloud.com”, while the password requires a combination of numeric and alphabetic characters with the obligatory use of uppercase and capital letters.
It is noteworthy that to create your Apple account it is not at all necessary to purchase a new device, because you can register on the official website Appled.Apple.com, doing it completely free.
In this case, it is not at all necessary to tie up your bank card data, despite the fact that the system will request them. over, if you do not intend to use iTunes or any other paid Apple services, then it is better not to tie the card at all, since by agreeing to a 3-month free subscription to any application, its owner runs the risk of being automatically debited after the specified period.
It should be noted that it will not be possible to do without accounting, and not only at the initial stage of operation, but also in the future, since access to the AppStore and any other built-in service of the company without an Apple ID continues to be impossible.
But changing the secret code-password is quite real, and completely free of charge and as much as your heart desires. To do this, go to the “Account Management” menu and enter a new password with a mandatory duplicate confirmation, using for this purpose any synchronized device with the same ID.
How to solve the problem through iTunes if you forgot your password
ITunes is considered to be one of the most multifunctional devices for Apple, which helps to quickly and easily restore a locked iPhone. But it is enough just to enter the wrong code several times in a row or use the biometric scanner incorrectly for the phone to go out completely. Therefore, in such situations, it always makes sense in a PC with iTunes installed on it.
At the same time, for the recovery itself through the application, the following step-by-step algorithm of actions is provided:
- Connect the smartphone to the PC via the supplied cable.
- Try to force restart the gadget by quickly pressing the plus and minus of the volume control (relevant for models “8”, “8 Plus” and older). If you use earlier versions, such as “6s”, then it makes sense to simultaneously hold down two keys at once. “Home” and “Power / Volume”. But the activation of an extinct iPhone in almost all devices is carried out in the same way, or to be more precise, by pressing and holding the side controller for a long time.
- If the iPhone has been restored to its senses, then you should select the restore option and synchronize, along the way agreeing to save the previously made backup file copies in the device’s memory.
At the final stage, the phone is reconfigured, after which it will not hurt to write out the saved code and password in some notebook or diary, so that one not very fine day the user does not have to restore this data again.
How to Factory Reset iPhone 5, 5S, 6S, 4C, SE without Apple ID
Naturally, it is possible to change the account settings only if the information about the previous data has not been lost. In all other cases, you will have to reset the basic parameters of the smartphone or tablet to the factory settings, which is fraught with the complete loss of personal data. It is quite simple to insure yourself against such consequences, because you can always dump all information from Apple products to a PC or hard drive in time, using such a universal tool as iTunes.
As for the very algorithm of actions for resetting the settings, it is not difficult, assuming a transition to the settings menu, and then to the section “Password and Security”. For the reset itself, you will have to strain your brains and remember all the secret answers to questions, trusted phone numbers and mailboxes, as well as recovery keys that were specified by the user during registration.
It is also worth noting that you can implement your plan not only from this iPhone, but also from a device paired with it using the same Apple ID.
Things will be much more difficult if the user forgets all security questions at once, or loses access to synchronized devices operating from a shared account. Nevertheless, today even such problems are easily and quickly solved, albeit through the use of third-party software such as “Apple Support” and “Find iPhone”.
The first application is supported by Apple devices running iOS12 and later versions of the proprietary operating system. As for its use to reset user data, immediately after downloading the software from the AppStore to the gadget system, it is recommended to act in accordance with the following instructions:
- First of all, you need to go to the “Get support” section, which can be seen at the bottom of the device display.
- Next, from the entire list, select the tab “Apple ID” and “Forgot your password”.
- The next step involves clicking on the option “Another password”.
After going through the specified chain, you should reset the code, following the instructions, which may differ slightly depending on the type and model of the device. The Find iPhone program is no less effective in solving this problem, moreover, it is suitable not only for the 12th version of the operating system, but also for its earlier versions (and therefore for older devices), starting with the 9th Factory reset works in this application according to the following principle:
- Immediately after entering the software, you must make sure that the field is free of any characters. If this is not the case, then you will have to manually delete the entered data.
- Then click on the command “Forgot your ID or password?” and all the necessary reset manipulations are performed.
If the input screen remains inaccessible, then there is always the opportunity to exit and re-check the state of the field to enter the verification code. And if this time it is empty, then you can safely bring the started business to its logical conclusion.
Password recovery methods
It is worth noting that an almost identical method for recovering user information is provided when using the iCloud cloud storage service. But that’s not all, because there are a lot of life hacks for changing the password. And it is definitely worth taking a closer look at the following ones:
- Resetting the counter of incorrect password attempts.
- Using iPhone recovery mode, relevant only if the ID is known.
- Installing new firmware using a special DFU-mode, used when the previously performed manipulations were not effective enough.
It is noteworthy that all of these recovery tools are also based on iTunes, in most cases asking for an ID. But if the user cannot boast of such a privilege, and none of the methods works, then it is necessary to check all paired devices for logging into iCloud, and also exclude the presence of activated 2-factor authentication. Alternatively, you can try to fix the problem in the following ways:
- Click on the “Forgot ID or Password” option, after going to the account page.
- Select the item “Reset password” and confirm it with the command “Continue”.
- Decide on the method of resetting data by choosing an answer to security questions or sending a confirmation to an email address.
It is also worth recalling that when requesting a recovery key, you will have to pass verification in two stages, entering not only the user-specified identifier, but also the requested key. Next, a trusted gadget is selected, the changes are confirmed using the link sent to the specified address, a reset is performed, and a new password is specified. Voila! iPhone is restored and ready for further use without the slightest threat to user security.
If you don’t know the password
Remember! If you enter the wrong password 6 times, the smartphone will be locked for 1 minute. A subsequent incorrect entry will block the gadget for 2 minutes and so on. If you have activated the “Erase data” option, then after the 10th incorrectly entered code, formatting will occur with the deletion of all personal information.
To be able to restore your smartphone using this application, connect it to the computer on which you previously synchronized. And even this does not guarantee that the device will not require a password. Still worth a try. If after connecting it turned out to pass the synchronization, feel free to launch “Data Recovery from iTunes Backup”.
This method will work only if you have activated the “Find My iPhone” function.
Go to icloud.com, select the required device from the list of devices, click “Erase”.
After that, carry out rehabilitation using a previously saved copy.
- Resetting the Wrong Attempts Counter.
You can guess the code by resetting the bad attempts counter by connecting and syncing with iTunes. After its activation, the number of typed incorrect passwords is reset.
- Applying recovery mode.
After connecting the device to the PC and launching iTunes, simultaneously hold down the “Sleep” and “Home” buttons. You need to keep them long enough, even if the device starts the reboot process. Wait for recovery mode to activate.
- Installing new firmware.
Download the firmware from a trusted source. We recommend taking the official site here) so as not to download the virus with the new version of the software. Using iTunes, follow the iOS update process by selecting the required firmware.
- Tenorshare 4uKe Program.
It is worth remembering that if the mobile Internet or Wi-Fi is not activated on the device, then all attempts to bypass the password using iTunes and iCloud will not work for you. The only option is to use a third-party program. In this case, you will lose your personal data, but you can continue to use your smartphone.
By applying this method, the user receives as a result a smartphone, reset to factory settings, cleared of personal information, with the latest version of iOS.
- Checking the current version of iTunes.
- Disable the “Find iPhone” function, for this you need to enter the password from Apple /
- The smartphone will reboot and require data entry, as on the first launch.
For any problem, you can use the official Apple website, of course, if it is possible to confirm that you are the owner of the device.
Make it a rule to back up your data, and then any technical and software problems can be solved by resetting to factory settings with minimal loss.
Do not disable the device search function: it will be very useful to you if a trouble happens and you lose access to your phone.
Also, you should not buy an expensive gadget from an unverified seller in order to protect yourself from possible troubles.
Ask a question to the virtual expert
If you still have questions, ask the virtual expert, the bot will help you find the problem and tell you what to do. You can talk to him about life or just chat, it will be interesting and informative!
Enter your question in the field and press Enter or Submit.
iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
In the seventh version of the iPhone, the physical Home button became touch-sensitive, so they decided to change the emergency reset combination. If the phone freezes, the touch button stops responding to pressing. To reset, you need to hold down the volume down key and the power button at the same time.
This method works on any device: computer, tablet or smartphone.
- We go to the website icloud.com.
- Sign in to your Apple account /
- The process of resetting the gadget’s settings will begin immediately if it is connected to the Internet, or later, as soon as it appears on the network.
Before a general reset, prepare the gadget by charging it.
The battery must be charged at least 30%.
If discharging occurs during a reboot and zeroing, it will lead to serious malfunctions of the software, up to turning into a “brick”.
Do I need a backup
Before erasing all iPhone settings, it is recommended to make a backup copy of the device if its creation was not set up automatically. It stores the following information:
- all device settings;
- data about installed applications;
- SMS, MMS and iMessage;
- display settings and location of programs on it;
- media files;
- Health application statistics;
- purchase history in iTunes, AppStore, etc.
When you reset to factory settings, there is no guarantee that this information will never be useful to you, so it’s better to create a backup just in case.
Method two, through iTunes (the device does not turn on)
If the iPhone is no longer able to start on its own, you again need a computer with iTunes and a USB cable. To reset the settings, follow the instructions:
- Connect iPhone to Computer and Open iTunes.
- Under Settings [your name] iCloud, turn off Find My iPhone.
- On the connected device, make a forced restart:
- IPhone 8 or later: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the volume down button. Then press and hold the power button until the recovery mode screen appears.
- On iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press the power button and the volume down button at the same time. Hold them until the recovery mode screen appears.
- IPhone 6s and earlier: Press the Home and Power buttons at the same time. Hold them until the recovery mode screen appears. In all three cases, it looks like this:
In this case, the iPhone settings will also be reset to factory settings, and the current version of the operating system will be “uploaded” to the device.
Method one, through iTunes (the device turns on)
If your iPhone is not severely damaged and can turn on, and you have a USB cable and a computer or laptop with iTunes installed, do the following:
- Launch iTunes on your computer.
- Under Settings [your name] iCloud, turn off Find My iPhone.
- Connect iPhone to computer with USB cable. If iTunes requires you to enter a password or make this computer trusted, follow the instructions of the program.
- When the device is displayed in the program, select it in the panel on the left.
- On the Overview tab, click the Restore iPhone button.
- In the pop-up window, click “Restore” again to confirm.
After that, the device will be cleared of your data and returned to factory settings, and the current version of iOS will be installed.
How to Factory Reset iPhone: 3 Ways for Different Occasions
Keep a quick cheat sheet on how to factory reset iPhone. with and without iTunes.
For a number of reasons, you may need to reset your iPhone to factory settings. In Apple’s terminology, this is called “restoring iPhone“, that is, returning the original settings and setting up the smartphone as new. Read below for three ways to do this.
Method three, without iTunes (the device turns on)
You can also do a factory reset on the iPhone itself if you don’t have a computer. But this can only be done if the device turns on.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Go to the device menu in the “Settings” “General” “Reset”.
- Click “Erase Content and Settings”.
- Enter your device password or Apple ID password to confirm.
After that, wait for the settings to be erased. The device will be returned to factory condition.
If your iPhone turns on, we recommend that you back up your data to Apple cloud or external storage before resetting.
How to reset iPhone or iPad through the settings menu
This method is suitable when the device is working and you can unlock its screen. A reset through the settings menu is performed to erase all personal data from the iPhone or iPad before selling. Or to restore normal operation of the device when it continues to slow down even after a restart.
How to create an iCloud backup
Go to Settings → Username → iCloud. If your device is running iOS 10.2 or earlier, open Settings, scroll down the settings page and select iCloud.
Make sure the switches next to Contacts, Calendar and other iCloud menu items are active.
Scroll down the page and click iCloud Backup. On the next screen, make sure the “iCloud Backup” switch is activated.
Click “Back Up” and wait for completion. At the end of the process, the time of the last created copy on this screen will not be updated.
How to create a backup via iTunes or Finder
Connect your iPhone or iPad to your computer. If you are using Windows, macOS Mojave or earlier, launch iTunes; on macOS Catalina and later, open Finder.
If prompted, enter the password for the device and confirm the connection request by clicking “Trust this computer” on the iPhone or iPad screen.
How To Reset & Restore your Apple iPhone 7. Factory Reset
Select the desired gadget in the sidebar of iTunes or Finder, and then click “Browse” or “General” in the main window, where all information is displayed.
Click the “Back Up Now” button. If along with other information you want to save the data of the programs “Health” and “Activity”, first mark the item “Encrypt backup”, enter the password and remember it.
Follow the program prompts and wait for the backup to complete.
Back up important data
If you want to keep your personal information, make a local backup of your iPhone or iPad on your computer and / or a cloud copy to iCloud. By doing this, you can recover the erased data on the current or new machine.
How to factory reset iPhone or iPad
If the device is buggy, does not turn on or is put up for sale, you should return the factory settings.
Perform a reset
Go to “Settings” → “General” → “Reset” and click “Erase content and settings”.
Confirm the deletion of data and wait for the process to complete. If the system asks you to turn off Find iPhone, do it in Settings → Username → iCloud.
How to Properly Reset iPhone to factory default
After restarting the gadget, a welcome screen will appear on the screen and a prompt to complete the setup, as when you first turned it on.
If you cannot reset through the settings, because you forgot your password, read our instructions.
How to reset iPhone or iPad in recovery mode
This is the method for when the iPhone or iPad won’t turn on or freezes during the boot process. As a result, all personal data will be erased, and you can only restore it if you have previously created backups in iCloud or on your computer.
Connect your iOS device to your PC. If you are using Windows, macOS Mojave or earlier, launch iTunes; on macOS Catalina and later, open Finder.
Put the gadget into recovery mode using the instructions for your model:
- On an iPad without a Home button, quickly press and release the volume up key, just as quickly press and release the volume down key. Then press the top button. Hold it until the recovery mode screen appears.
- On iPhone 8, iPhone SE (second generation), iPhone X and later, quickly press and release the volume up key, quickly press and release the volume down key. Press and hold the side button until recovery mode opens.
- On iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, press and hold the Side button and the Volume Down key at the same time. Keep holding them until the recovery mode screen appears.
- On an iPad with a Home button, iPhone 6s, iPhone SE (1st generation), and earlier, press and hold the Home and Side (Top) buttons at the same time until the Recovery Mode screen appears.
In the pop-up notification on the computer, select “Repair”, confirm the action and follow the prompts.
At the end of the process, all data from the iPhone or iPad will be deleted, and the settings will be reset to factory settings.