simple and not so easy ways to unlock iPhone if you forgot your password
Apple does everything to protect its equipment from the hands of fraudsters. There are several ways to unlock iPhone its owner: through iTunes, iCloud service, reset the counter of unsuccessful attempts, recovery mode and DFU mode. All methods are free and available to the owner.
Through DFU mode
If the previously indicated options did not work, then you can consider the toughest one, the essence of which is to install a new firmware. This one is available exclusively in DFU mode.
- Connect phone to iTunes.
- Turn off the device while holding down the volume down and off button.
- You will be prompted to check for updates on your computer screen. Agree, click “Ok”, and reinstall the firmware.
It should be borne in mind that in DFU mode, the screen will be completely black, without the iTunes icon. If there is an icon, you are not in the desired mode. In this case, you should try again.
It is easy to forget the password to the smartphone, because after 4s, a fingerprint scanner appeared, and often you no longer need to enter the password. But even in modern models, many habitually set a digital password. which they can then forget.
Also, the password will come in handy in the winter season, when unlocking the phone in the cold with a fingerprint is a little problematic. After installing the login code, many iPhone owners realize that they have forgotten it. Here are all the ways you can unlock your iPhone.
What to do if none of the methods helps to recover your password
If none of the above options helped, then the first rule is not to experiment, in the hope of “luck” to unlock the device. It won’t do anything good.
In this case, you can consider special programs (applications) on the Internet that help to get a password.
Of the common applications, 4uKey can be used. With it, the settings are reset to the factory settings. A similar application iMyFone LockWiper will help make settings fail through DFU mode.
What to do if Find My Phone is enabled
This is an extremely unfavorable situation for the iPhone owner. Such a danger can lie in wait for those who bought a used phone. When using the specified recovery methods, the phone will be completely locked.
- contact the previous owner to clarify the password;
- if you have a receipt, contact the service center or send an electronic appeal through the official website.
Only after receiving the necessary information, use the indicated password recovery options.
Restoring iPhone through the created backup
After a factory reset, the phone starts working completely empty. there are no old user files in it. You can restore iPhone via iTunes using the created backup. Algorithm for the correct process:
- Open iTunes, connect your smartphone to your computer and put your phone into recovery mode iPhone, iPad.
- Go to the files section and open the context menu using the CtrlB keyboard shortcut.
- In the menu, select the item “Restore files from backup” and click on it.
Important! After user confirmation, uploading data from the cloud will start.
Recovery via Mac PC with macOS Catalina 10.15:
- Open a Finder window.
- Connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable. If you are prompted to enter a password for the system or select a computer as trusted, you will have to follow the instructions on the display. If the password cannot be remembered, then you need to revive it through technical support.
- Select a device (in this case iPhone) when it appears in the program window.
- Click on “Restore from copy”. A message may appear stating that the software is too old.
- View the creation date of each copy and choose the one that works best.
- Click on “Restore” and wait for the end of the process. You may be prompted for a password for the encrypted version of the backup. you will have to enter it to access.
- Do not turn off the smartphone after restarting and wait while it syncs with the PC. Once the iPhone is paired, you can disconnect.
Important! If you have problems restoring or accessing the required backups, for example, if you accidentally lock your phone, we recommend that you contact Apple Support.
IOS version for recovery
Before restoring iPhone se, you still need to determine which version of the system is suitable for the phone and make preparations. The bottom line is that by developing new iOS “stamps”, the company stops signing old assemblies. Rollback and recovery on them is no longer possible.
You can determine which version of the system a user can recover to using the IPSW service. Going to the site, you need to select the iPhone model (it works for other devices of the company). For firmwares that will be marked with check marks, recovery is provided. On the same site, you can download the firmware to perform the rollback itself.
How long does it take to restore iPhone via iTunes
The wait can take from 10 minutes to several hours. As mentioned above, it all depends on the volume of files and the quality of the Internet connection.
How to restore iPhone without a computer
You can reinstall the system without the help of a PC. Algorithm:
To complete the procedure, it is recommended not to break the connection and regularly connect to the network and power source.
Description of iPhone recovery problems
One of the most common problems is error 3194. It occurs due to various reasons, but more often due to the consequences of working with the TinyUmbrella program or similar.
Get rid of error 3194 when restoring iPhone via iCloud:
- Go along the path in Explorer: C: \ Windows \ System32 \ Drivers \ etc and find the hosts file inside.
- Open this file using the stock program “Notepad” and find the line that contains the inscription gs.Apple.com. delete it.
- Remember to save the modified file and restart your PC.
Most likely, the error will not bother the user again when trying to restore the phone again. However, before starting work, it is recommended to temporarily disable the Windows firewall. the risk of blocking will significantly decrease.
Other common errors are 1013, 1014 and 1015. They may mean that you cannot roll back the firmware due to the impossibility to return to the old version of the modem. The solution will only help when using old models. To remove the error, you need:
- Download the latest version of the redsn0w program.
- Extract the downloaded file and open the utility as a PC administrator.
- Synchronize your phone with your computer.
- On the main screen of redsn0w select “Extras”, then “Recovery Fix”.
- Click “Next” and switch iPhone, iPad to DFU mode as shown in the instructions. It is not difficult to do this: for 3-4 seconds you need to press the “Power” key, then hold the “Home” for 10 seconds, release the “Power”, but continue to hold the “Home” for another 10 seconds. The program will display a timer for each action so that the user has no problems activating the desired mode.
Important! Other errors are easier to solve by contacting the technical support of the company. specialists will answer all questions.
IPhone Recovery via iTunes
The smartphone will have to be connected to a personal computer or laptop with Internet access. the device needs to download all the latest updates. Only then the program starts. IPhone Recovery via iTunes:
How to Reset & Restore iPhone SE 2 (2020). Factory Reset (Forgot Passcode) (iPhone is Disabled Fix)
- In the program, open the “Overview” section, click on the line “Restore iPhone”.
- A window will open asking you to confirm the action. All the consequences of the procedure are described here. this is the complete removal of files and any information from the phone.
After agreeing to the terms, a long rollback process will begin. This can take 5 to 25 minutes. Immediately after the end of the recovery, the iPhone will reboot with the factory settings. data loss is possible if you reset everything.
How to restore iPhone via iTunes. detailed instructions
An unsuccessful update or flashing can lead to the “death” of the phone. In such a situation, there is nothing to be afraid of. just start the device in recovery mode. ITunes app lets you return iPhone to backup settings or factory settings.
Why you need to urgently unlock your iPhone with really working methods?
We will not talk about cases when someone else’s phone fell into your hands. In this case, it is still better to return it to the owner. But still, atypical situations may arise:
The Face ID function has stopped working (the scanner is broken, does not respond). Yes, the situation is not the most common, but it happens.
The fingerprint scanner is broken, the settings are out of order,
Thinking while twirling the phone in your hands, and spent ten attempts to scan your fingerprint,
You only used the password, but you cannot remember it and attempts to recover have been exhausted,
The phone fell into the hands of a child who entered incorrect information 10 times, and now the gadget is blocked,
The child set the password while playing and does not remember it.
You bought a gadget off hand and did not check if it is ready to work with you. In this case, it is worth not only recovering the password, but first make sure that your gadget is not listed as hijacked. This can be done by entering the serial number on the Apple website: the device must have a Clean status. Although, if this is not the case, we generally do not recommend that you pay money for such a dubious purchase.
You bought a device handheld, and the previous owner did not unactivate the device in iCloud.
If you can’t update or restore your device in recovery mode, or can’t turn on recovery mode due to broken or stuck buttons, contact Support Apple. Then follow the instructions to set up the service for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
Unlocking via iTunes
You can unlock iPhone using iTunes with or without data saving. The first method is possible when the iPhone is normally loaded and connected to the service through a computer, and the second. if certain problems arose during the download.
For example, the device hangs on the splash screen or only the iTunes cable is displayed on the screen.
How to Recover Locked iPhone via iTunes
Learn what to do if you forgot your password or you get a disconnect message.
If you enter the wrong password several times in a row, a message will appear stating that the device is disconnected. If you cannot remember the password, you will need to erase all data from the device along with the settings and password. If the data stored on your device was not backed up before the password was lost, it will not be possible to restore it. To remove the password, follow these steps.
Resetting the Wrong Attempts Counter
Did you leave your iPhone on the coffee table and was grabbed by a curious child? Returning from the bathroom, they found that their beloved phone had turned into a piece of iron. But you know the password, you just need another chance! In this case, you can simply reset the counter of incorrect attempts and re-enter the desired combination, or use Face ID on your iPhone X, XS or XR.
You can reset the counter of incorrect attempts to enter a password on the phone on a computer with which the gadget has already been synced at least once.
- We connect the phone to the computer with a cable.
- In the “Devices” menu, select “Synchronize with” Instead of dots. the name of the device.
- As soon as syncing starts, stop it by clicking the cross at the top of iTunes. The phone will return to the password entry window. Make no mistake this time.
By the way, you won’t be able to reset the password and the counter of attempts by “hard reset”: you must admit, it would be too easy for intruders.
It will also not work to connect the phone to someone else’s computer: in this case, you must first press the “trust” button on the phone. But you will not be able to do this as the screen is locked.
Performing an access restoration operation while saving data
If the user wants to quickly recover the password on the iPhone through iTunes, while saving the data, he needs to follow these instructions:
- the customer must first open the iTunes app;
- then you will need to use a cable to connect the gadget to a stationary computer;
- when the connection is completed, the synchronization of the settings will automatically start on the device;
- after the completion of the operation, the system will create a backup copy of the data that is in the device;
- After examining the page of the iTunes program, the client can see an icon in the panel, he must click on it;
- when the action is completed, the owner of the gadget will go to the tab with the name “Overview”;
- by clicking on the item, select the subsection “Restore iPhone” from the list;
- then the user must select a section to create a backup copy of all data;
- an icon with the recovery process will be displayed on the screen, at the same time a form for settings will appear;
- in the list, select the item “Restore from a copy of iTunes”.
This completes the operation to unlock the account. The owner of the gadget will be able to come up with a new access password and save it. In this case, all data will be saved in the smartphone.
- If the client connects the device to the computer, and a password entry form is displayed on the screen, then this method will not work. This indicates that previously there was no synchronization through the program.
How to Unlock iPhone via iTunes and Recover Password
Often, users set a complex password in order to prevent the phone from being hacked. But the more complex the code, the easier it becomes to forget it. If the subscriber forgets the authorization parameters in the system, if the entry is incorrect, blocking will occur. If this happens, the client should find out how you can unlock your iPhone via iTunes on your computer.
Performing an account recovery operation through a previous sync
If a customer wants to unlock their iPhone through iTunes, they will need access to a computer. This option is a priority. When applied, the client settings and the files contained in the device will not be used. Access must be restored according to the following scheme:
- using a cable, you need to connect a locked smartphone to a stationary computer;
- then you need to go to iTunes applications;
- when the connection is completed, automatic pairing of devices will start;
- during synchronization, do not touch the computer, as files are being read;
- a list will be displayed on the screen, from which the device connected to the PC is selected;
- then the client clicks on the “Synchronization” button;
- the procedure will begin, it can take from five minutes to several hours;
- when the pairing operation is completed, press the button to restore the settings from the iTunes backup;
- a list will be displayed on the screen, from which the owner of the gadget selects the copy that is required by date, it is better to use the last save.
When the procedure is completed, you will not have to remove the password, since the blocking will be automatically removed. Now the client can enter new data for authorization and save them in the device.
Restoring Login Options with Data Loss
If the owner of the gadget wants to reset the password on the iPhone via iTunes, but the devices have not been previously synchronized, all data will be lost. The operation is performed using the following instruction:
- on the smartphone, the “Power” and “Home” keys are pressed simultaneously, the combination must be held for at least ten seconds;
- after the specified time, the DFU mode will be set on the gadget;
- if the operation is performed, an image of a bitten apple will appear on the phone screen;
- now you need to connect the gadget to a stationary computer using a cable;
- the iTunes application opens on the PC, if the user does not have it, it is necessary to install the program from the official portal;
- a section with a list of devices opens, the owner chooses his smartphone;
- then click the “Review” item;
- now the client can click on the “Restore iPhone” section;
- the information download bar will appear on the gadget screen;
- you will need to wait until the download is complete (the bar will reach the end);
- when the procedure is completed, the latest version of iOS will be installed on the cell.
Forgot Password / Passcode iPhone on Mac Catalina
Throwing off the password in this way is not difficult, but the client must be ready to lose all personal data from the smartphone. After completing the operation, the owner will have an “empty” phone.
How to reset the counter if there were many invalid input attempts
If the user has lost or forgot his account access password, he needs to restore access. When the owner specifies the authorization data incorrectly six times in a row, a blocking occurs. In this case, you need to learn how to unlock iPhone via iTunes through computer. The procedure is performed according to the following instructions:
- the locked smartphone must be connected to the computer using a cord;
- then the iTunes program is launched on the PC;
- for the operation to be performed, the gadget must be connected to the Internet;
- when the computer detects the connection of the smartphone, you need to click on the “Devices” button;
- a list will be displayed on the screen, in it the item “Synchronize with iPhone” is selected;
- as soon as the devices start syncing, the counter will automatically reset.
The client can now try to enter the login data again, six attempts are available.
The user can unlock iPhone using iTunes while saving data. If you have not previously synchronized, you will have to use the option to delete all information from the iPhone. When access to the phone is restored, you can specify a new access password.
Saving custom files
Let’s talk about how to unlock iPhone via iTunes while preserving user information. If the screen is locked, then Hard Reset and a simple reboot of the device will not help, the counter will remain in place. To save information, you should use the recovery mode. Recovery Mode does not affect files, it only rolls the smartphone back to the last successful launch, but the password will be reset. It is important that the smartphone is previously synchronized with the computer so that iTunes does not require you to enter your password. You won’t be able to connect your iPhone to a new computer either, as pairing requires an unlocked smartphone.
In Recovery mode, the smartphone settings are reset and the iPhone is unlocked. The file system is checked, the smartphone rolls back to the restore point. To put the device into mode you will need:
- turn off the iPhone using the “Power” button;
- connect a USB cable to a computer without a smartphone;
- hold the “Home” button and connect the smartphone to the PC;
- launch iTunes, select the connected iPhone from the list;
- select the “Restore” item, and then wait for the process to complete.
For iPhone models starting from 8, the recovery mode starts differently. first you need to turn off the smartphone and connect it to the computer. Then quickly hold and release the volume up button, we do the same operation with the volume down key. Press the Power button until the iTunes logo appears.
Apple has taken care of the users of Apple devices by offering reliable methods of blocking information. The password set on the lock screen protects the smartphone from unauthorized entry. This method of protection saves, but there are situations when the owner of the device forgets or cannot enter the password. Most often, this happens in families with small children. kids love to play with their parents’ smartphones. To avoid such situations, it is important to know how to unlock iPhone if you forgot your screen lock password.
Now let’s talk about how to unlock an iPhone using a firmware update. To do this, you need a computer connected to the Internet, a USB cable, and an up-to-date version of iTunes.
- Connect iPhone to PC via cable.
- Launch iTunes. Select the connected smartphone from the list of devices.
- Go to the “Browse” item, in the program window that opens, click on the “Update” button.
- Confirm your choice by clicking “Download and update”.
The nuance is that the program sometimes requires entering a password, which is irrelevant if the digital code is forgotten by the user. Remember that it is not recommended to turn off the iPhone during the update, so as not to turn the device into a useless piece of plastic with microcircuits.
Resetting the counter of invalid input attempts
If the iPhone is synced with the computer, the user can unlock the iPhone by resetting the invalid input attempts counter. The method is suitable if you managed to remember the password, and the counter until the next attempt shows not minutes, but hours and days.
- Connect the machine to the computer using the supplied USB cable.
- Open iTunes and look for Devices. In the new window, click the “Synchronize” button.
- After synchronizing the iPhone with the computer, the temporary lock will be disabled, the user will be able to enter the password.
If the phone was not previously synchronized with the computer, then resetting the counter will not work. the PC requires access to the contents of the smartphone, which must be confirmed. This is done on a mobile device, and if the smartphone is locked, then you will not be able to provide access.
Basic unlocking methods
Let’s analyze the most popular and effective methods. The point of such a variety of approaches is that, even in advanced cases, the owner has options for unlocking the device. “Apple” products hit the buyers’ s, people are not ready to just throw away the iPhone in order to purchase an updated model. For each incorrect attempt to enter a password, the counter increases to the next one, and can be calculated for years. The main thing is to remember that it is not always possible to save user files, so do not forget to make backups to iCloud in order to quickly restore photos, music, other files, applications and settings in case of emergency.
Through previous sync
The method of unlocking the smartphone through the previous synchronization of the device with a personal computer is considered a priority, since it does not affect the user’s files and settings. For this:
- connect iPhone to PC via cable;
- open the iTunes application and wait for the pairing to complete. the computer will take time to read the files;
- select the connected device from the list and click the “Synchronize” button;
- wait. the process lasts from a couple of minutes to a couple of hours;
- after completing the pairing, click on the “Restore data from iTunes backup” button;
- select a suitable backup by date in the list. it is recommended to choose the latest version.
It will remain to wait for the process to complete, the screen lock will be reset. the user will gain access to the device.