How to play video from computer to TV
If you have a home network, you can use Windows Media Player to stream media to computers, TVs, and other media devices in your home that support DLNA technology. For example, if you have a TV that supports DLNA or a home theater that has this function, all devices are connected to a home local network, you can transfer media content (movies, music, photos) from your computer / laptop to your TV or home theater. Thus, you can view media content on a TV from a computer that is physically located in another room, and if you use Wi-Fi, then from a laptop that can be freely moved within the Wi-Fi network.
In order to view files (music, video, photos) from a computer on a TV through a home local network, several conditions must be met:
1) To set up a home local network in the network, you also need to add a TV or home theater (you can connect with a network cable, you can use Wi-Fi);
2) the TV or home theater must have a DLNA function (this information will be indicated in the documentation for the TV or home theater).
If all these conditions are met, proceed to setting.
On the computer / laptop, start Windows Media Player shortcut is on the taskbar.
If it is not there, press the “Start” button in the search bar for programs and files, enter media and start Windows Media Player.
Click the Stream button and select Enable Media Streaming.
In the options window, click “Enable Media Streaming”.
After that, you will see the TV connected to the network (in my case, it is Philips). Note. what should be allowed to use streaming.
Now if you go to the TV menu and select Browse PC (this is how the menu looks on Philips TVs), you will see movies, music and photos that are available from your computer.
If you did not see the desired files on the TV, you need to add them to the list of available for streaming, for this you need to start Windows Media Player, click on the Video / Music / Pictures item and select “Manage Video Library”.
Using the “Add” button, we indicate the folder in which the files that we want to see on the TV are located and press the “Add folder” button.
You can also start watching videos, photos and music from your computer to your TV, to do this, click on the file you want to play with the right mouse button and select “Play to”. “Name of your TV”
There is one drawback to this method, Windows Media Player does not support all formats, i.e. not all videos can be viewed on TV through a computer. On the Microsoft page you can see which files are supported by Windows Media Player and which are not.
The TV does not see all files
Some inexperienced users are not even aware of the existence of various file extensions and formats. In the instructions for your TV, you can find the formats it supports. If you want to watch a movie with a different extension, you will have to convert it to the desired one or download the movie again with a different extension. You can convert files using specialized programs, there are plenty of them on the Internet. These problems can appear with any connection, you need to be aware of them. Moving on.
Diagram of connecting the drive to TV directly:
- Download the desired video or piece of music.
- On the side of the TV, you need to find a USB connector (sometimes the connector is on the back panel), insert a flash drive with the uploaded content into it.
- Turn on the plasma panel, a menu will appear on the screen, where all the materials contained on the media are displayed.
- The user must select the movie or program of interest for viewing from a flash drive on the TV, press the “play” key.
- Then the content will start playing.
This is the basic method for connecting a USB stick to a TV. Suitable for most modern Samsung, LG models.
Using a media station
The media station is a versatile device. Roughly speaking, this is a player with a lot of ports. It can connect almost all devices that can transmit sound or video, including a USB flash drive. There shouldn’t be any special problems with it, just insert the drive into the media player, which, in turn, into the TV.
The method, which is called “as easy as shelling pears”, usually does not require any additional manipulations, but there are also pitfalls. In the most general case, we just need to connect the USB flash drive to the connector on a special TV panel and switch to AV mode using the corresponding button. The panel can be on the right, left, bottom, back. anywhere, depending on the specific model of a particular manufacturer. With such a seemingly simple connection, problems may appear, usually they are associated with recognizing the drive itself or its contents.
Uploading a movie to a flash drive
To watch movies and play videos. take a flash drive and insert it into one of the USB ports of your computer or laptop. There are also portable hard drives, if you have one, you can use it. But there is a small disadvantage in that not all “boxes” can work with such amounts of data. Some systems have a 64 or 32 GB limit. That is, he may not see a large flash drive or hard drive. But if you have nothing else, then we take this option.
- Now open “My Computer” or “Computer”. the name depends on the version of “Windows”;
- A new drive should start to appear among the entire list. If it is not there, and the system does not react at all, then take a flash drive and move it to another port. On the computer, it happens that the front inputs do not work, so it is better to rearrange it to the rear.
- We open the media and upload any video, film, movie or even music there. But it’s better to try with the movie.
How to play video from a USB flash drive on a TV
All the good time of the Turks! And today we are analyzing another interesting question. how to turn on a movie on TV from a flash drive. The procedure seems to be quite simple, but sometimes some difficulties may arise. In particular, the coveted port is not found on the TV set, or the TV does not see the flash drive. We will start with the usual connection and playback, then I will tell you a couple more ways. how you can play your favorite video. If you have any questions, feel free to write in the comments.
Other connection methods
How to connect a flash drive to a TV that does not have a connector. Usually these are old models, where the function of viewing video from external devices is not yet provided. Therefore, many are interested in how to connect a USB flash drive to an old TV. This can be done with a DVD and TV tuner, Android set-top box.
We connect to a computer or laptop
The latter method is difficult to attribute to connections via a USB flash drive, but it can save you if other methods are unrealistic for one reason or another. Connecting to a computer is a topic for a separate article, here you can expand, we can use a large number of connections:
Each connection has its own pros and cons, but the most common and high-quality one can be considered an HDMI connection. As a result, the TV will become a monitor, in fact, playback will be carried out on the computer.
How to play with cable?
Connecting with a cable is considered the easiest and takes the least time. This method is a good way out when there is no suitable router, or the existing router is too weak in its technical characteristics. There are several ways to connect a computer to a TV using a special wire.
- HDMI. In the early 2000s, TVs with this connector appeared on the market. The advantage of this technology is the speed of data transfer. Thanks to it, you can watch movies with high image quality without loss. Not only video files, but also audio files work well over an HDMI connection. This method of connection will be a real godsend for those who do not want to mess with the wireless connection settings.
- DVI. This connection, like HDMI, can carry a high quality video signal. Before purchasing such a cable, you must take into account that the audio signal will not pass through this cable if your ATI video card does not support an audio signal. Only a suitable additional audio wire will help to solve this problem.
- VGA. This wire is much older than the previous ones, although it remains relevant. Most modern devices have a corresponding port, but many manufacturers are gradually abandoning this connector, arguing that it is obsolete. If your technique has a similar outlet, you can use it.
If your device does not have the above ports, but you still want to connect a computer or laptop, then you can use the appropriate adapters.
Many of the connections have audio problems. Columns will help solve this problem. Of the adapters, the most common ones can be noted.
- USB / HDMI or USB / VGA adapter. These connectors will solve the connection problem if one of the connected devices does not have a high-speed connection.
- S-Video. Available in all new models of personal computers and Smart TVs. It is used to transfer a video file whose quality does not exceed the HD format. Honor needs audio not to be transmitted over such a cable.
- SCART. This connector is very popular for transmitting audio and video signals. In stationary computers or laptops, this output is absent, and you have to use an adapter to connect.
- RCA. This connection has 3 connectors, which are equipped with all new TVs and video cards. It is worth noting that the color rendition is not of the highest quality when compared with the rest of the listed connectors.
To watch a movie through a desktop computer or laptop, you will need to do the following:
- turn off your computer and TV;
- disconnect the antenna wire and other devices from the TV;
- connect the cable to connect to the computer;
- turn on your computer and TV.
If everything is done correctly, all that remains is to choose the appropriate channel on which the broadcast will take place. After that, it remains to configure only the video transmission.
After you connect the TV to a computer with such an operating system, a notification will appear that a second monitor has been detected. Next, you need to select the mode to use:
- the second monitor displays everything the same as the first;
- extended desktop capabilities on the second screen;
- the ability to display the picture on the second monitor, and disable the first.
By choosing any of the options, if necessary, you can switch back, for this you will need to reopen the settings.
How to play videos over Wi-Fi?
Synchronizing devices over a wireless connection is a complex process that deserves special attention. Despite all the complexity, most users tend to do just that, since almost every home has a router.
In order to watch movies on TV through your computer, you need to create a wireless connection. For this you need:
- server device through which the file will be played;
- the TV on which you plan to watch must support DLNA so that the recording from a PC or laptop is displayed on its screen (the presence of the Smart TV function will simplify the task of connecting);
- the created network that connects both devices must be connected to one router.
Next, you need to right-click on the selected file, in the window that appears, select “Transfer to device”. Next, specify the name of the TV in the field that appears.
This is a technology that allows you to combine electronic devices (stationary personal computers, laptops, tablets, phones) into a single network with a server. Let’s consider the option of setting up and connecting using the example of connecting a computer to an LG TV using this technology. We will need:
- download and install a program for a personal computer called Smart Share;
- after it is installed, its icon will appear on the screen, click on it;
- go to the settings of this program, set the switch to “ON”, confirm our actions by clicking “OK”, so we open access to the entire device;
- in the “My Shared Files” section, you can remove or add files or folders to be displayed on the TV;
- in the section “My device settings” you can change the name of your server;
- do not forget to find your TV in the section “Allow / block other devices” and click the “Apply” button.
The item names may differ depending on the TV firmware version. Usually all the necessary marks have clear names.
How to watch movies from computer on TV?
The resolution of a computer monitor is not enough for watching movies in high quality. Sometimes you may encounter a problem when there is no way to record a large and “heavy” file with a movie on the TV, but you still want to watch it right now. This problem can be solved by connecting television equipment to a computer. In the article we will talk about how to watch a movie from a computer on a TV.
On Windows 10
Using the function “Movies and TV” on the described operating system, you will need to open an additional menu by right-clicking on the file with the video. In the window that appears, select “Transfer to device”, then select your TV as a device.
After that, all video files that are currently being played on the computer will be broadcast on the TV screen. You can put everything up so that you can show it on TV.
There is no need for additional settings on this operating system. You just need to select the desired file and send it to the TV.
On Windows 7
Right-click on the selected video, in the menu that appears, find the “Play to” section. Now select the device (TV) on which this video will be broadcast. After that, the corresponding video player will appear, in which it will be possible to control the video file.
If you need to start another video, you can do it in the usual way. you just need to drag the selected file into the player. In addition to videos, you can view photos and many other files.
Sometimes, before the signal window appears, the Media Streaming Options menu may appear. All you need to do is “Enable Media Streaming”.
In the next section, check to see if there is a green check mark next to the TV’s name. When all the requirements are met, repeat the procedure for starting the video.
In order to enable broadcasting on Windows XP, you will need to perform several steps. Right-click on any free space on your desktop. In the menu that appears, click on the “Properties” line. In the window that appears, select the “Parameters” section. Find the “Second Monitor” section and click on “Extend Desktop”.
After that, the TV will display a picture from the desktop, but without folders and programs. In order to start watching the recording, you need to start the player on the computer and transfer it to the TV screen. In the settings, you can choose the right or left position of the TV screen relative to the computer to display the image. If desired, you can use the monitor screen as the main one. To do this, you need to click on the “Use device as primary” section.
During the operation of equipment connected in one way or another, various problems may arise, which can most often be solved by manipulating the settings. But there are situations that have to be eliminated physically.
- Connector problem. Even when all equipment is connected correctly, signal transmission problems may occur. Most often, this problem is solved by simply restarting the network. If the problem appears very often, or restarting did not help with its solution, you need to check how the wire is connected to the device. It may not be fully inserted or have poor contact. Make sure that the incoming wire is not bent and does not stand on a kink next to the connector.
- Sometimes an individual video file may not open. The problem most often lies in the lack of necessary codecs or outdated drivers for the video card. The solution to this problem is to install the necessary components to open.
- No sound is one of the very common problems when starting up connected devices for the first time. This can be checked in the “Management” section. There it will be necessary to clarify whether your sound driver supports work with additionally connected devices. If necessary, you will need to uninstall the old driver, then restart the computer and only then install the new, more recent driver. If you do without rebooting, the sound may not appear, but the problem remains.
You will learn how to watch movies from a computer on TV in the next video.
Watching Movies from PC to TV
To watch videos from your computer on a large TV screen, you need to follow a series of steps. At the same time, in many aspects, the instruction is applicable to other types of devices capable of playing films.
To play movies on a computer, and in this case on a TV, you need special software.
Codecs are one of the important parts of the system, as they are responsible for the correct decoding of the movie. The most recommended is the K-Lite Codec Pack.
To play movies, you will need to install not only codecs, but also a media player. Which specific program to use you must decide for yourself, having read the list of available options.
After installing the necessary software, you can start watching movies. To do this, among the files on your computer, select the desired video by double-clicking on the file.
Watching movies from a computer on a TV
Compared to a standard computer or laptop monitor, a TV is more suitable for watching movies due to its screen size and location. As a result, it may be necessary to connect a PC to a TV for this purpose.
The only method to use the TV as a PC media viewer is to connect one device to another.
Today, many devices capable of playing video and audio content are equipped with HDMI ports by default, allowing signals to be transmitted at the highest possible speed and with minimal loss of quality. If possible, it is best to use this particular connection interface, since it is not only the fastest, but also universal, that is, it simultaneously works with video and audio streams.
The next commonly used connection interface is VGA. This connector is present on almost any machine, be it a computer or laptop. Unfortunately, there are often situations that the VGA port is missing on the TV, thereby limiting the connectivity.
If you own a Smart TV or are ready to purchase additional equipment, you can connect via Wi-Fi. First of all, this applies to laptops, since not all computers are equipped with a special Wi-Fi adapter.
Connectors for connecting USB devices are present literally on any modern computer, and it is quite possible to use them to connect it to a TV. This can be done by purchasing and connecting a special USB-to-HDMI or VGA converter. Of course, for this, the TV must have one of the appropriate interfaces.
If you want to watch movies through a PC on a TV equipped with only RCA connectors, you will have to resort to special signal converters. This solution to the problem is suitable as a last resort, since the final image quality is greatly degraded in comparison with the original.
In some cases, especially with regard to the VGA connection, the sound is not transmitted along with the main video signal from the computer to the TV. You can solve the problem by outputting sound from the PC to separate speakers or to the TV itself.
Solution of problems
All sorts of problems can occur while watching or when trying to play a video, but most of them can be easily fixed.
Even after the correct connection and setup of the equipment, there may be problems with the signal transmission. We talked about the solution of some of the most common of them in the corresponding articles on our website.
Problems can arise not only in hardware, but also with the settings of the programs used. Most often this concerns the incorrect installation of codecs or the lack of up-to-date drivers for the video card.
In case there is no sound, we also prepared an article with possible solutions. No sound can be caused by missing or buggy drivers.
If, after reading the instructions, you have questions regarding a particular aspect, ask us in the comments. You can also do this on the page with specific instructions.
Each connection method we’ve covered will allow you to use your TV as your main screen for watching videos from your computer. However, only HDMI cable and Wi-Fi can be attributed to the priority connection methods, since the image quality is maintained at a high level.