How to share Wi-Fi from your phone
A modern telephone can perform a wide variety of functions, thereby replacing a large number of other devices. For example, a phone can replace a Wi-Fi hotspot. To do this, you just need to configure the distribution of Wi-Fi from the phone to other devices.
How to share Wi-Fi from an iOS phone
If you have an iPhone, then in order to configure the distribution of Wi-Fi you need to enter the settings and open the “Modem mode” section. If this section is missing, it may mean that your phone is not enabled or configured for mobile Internet.
In this section you need to activate the “Modem Mode” function. To do this, move the switch to the on position.
In the same section of settings, you can see the password that you need to use to connect to Wi-Fi.
This completes the IPhone setup. Now you can connect to the created Wi-Fi network.
How to share Wi-Fi from phone to Android
In order to share Wi-Fi from your Android phone, you need to open the Android settings. This can be done by launching the Settings app in the list of all installed apps. You can also open the settings using the top curtain or the icon on the desktop.
After opening the settings, you need to go to the “Other networks” section. It should be noted that in your phone this section may have a slightly different name. If you cannot find this section, look through all the settings sections that are next to the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth settings.
Next, open a subsection called “Modem and Access Point”. Again, the title of this section may differ slightly on your device. It can be called “Modem”, “Modem Mode”, “Access Point Connection” or simply “Access Point”.
After that, you must activate the “Portable Access Point” function. To do this, move the switch to the “On” position.
After activating the portable hotspot, you will see a pop-up warning that Wi-Fi is turned off. In this window, click on the “Yes” button.
This completes the setup, now your phone is distributing Wi-Fi. You just have to look at the password for accessing the Wi-Fi network created by your phone. To do this, open the section “Portable access point”.
After that, a window with information about the access point will open in front of you. Here you can view and change the name of the access point and password.
How to Share Wi-Fi from Phone to Windows Phone 8
If you have a phone based on the Windows Phone operating system, then in order to distribute Wi-Fi you need to open the “Settings” application.
After that, you need to open the “Shared Internet” section.
Then you need to move the switch to the “On” position. After that, information about the name of the access point and the password for accessing it will appear at the bottom of the screen.
This completes the Windows Phone setup. Wi-Fi network works and you can connect to it.
How to distribute Wi-Fi from laptop to phone
Let’s consider how to distribute the Internet via WI-FI from a laptop to iPhone or Android smartphones. The same steps must be followed on any tablet and iPad.
First, use any of the methods described above to create a network. Open the settings on your phone and go to the WI-FI / wireless network management section.
Find the connection created on the PC, click on it and enter the login with the password.
Now access to the World Wide Web will be open and you can visit any sites you are interested in.
Although the utility is in English, it works very well and is quickly configured. In additional settings, you can configure firewall bypass, in some cases such a function may be simply necessary.
- Free distribution
- In English
- There are additional settings
- Firewall Traversal
- Autostart at system start
- Selective server blocking
- Extremely simple control
How to distribute the Internet via WI-FI from a laptop
Switch Virtual Router
One of the most functional programs for these purposes, there are additional useful settings. You can set it to start when Windows is turned on. this is very convenient.
- Free of charge
- In Russian
- Installation needed
- Simple interface
- Lots of features
- Run with Windows
Method 1. built-in tools in Windows 10
This is the simplest option and does not require you to install additional software. So we will do everything in just a few clicks.
Press the WIN I keys on the keyboard at the same time and open the “Network and Internet” section.
In the left column, switch to the “Mobile hotspot” section and activate it. set it to the on position.
If desired, here you can immediately change the name of the Wi-Fi network and the password to it by clicking on the advising button under this data.
Interesting! This is the most convenient way for Windows 10. everything is included in a couple of clicks and you do not need to take any additional steps to start distributing the Internet.
The utility works very quickly and is configured immediately after launch. In fact, you do not need to configure anything, the connection will have to be created immediately, and the connection data will be displayed on the screen.
- Free of charge
- Easy installation
- Easy and intuitive interface
- Works immediately after launch
- There are advanced settings
Method 2. through the command line in Windows 10 and 7
This method is worth trying if you have an old build of Windows 10 (this method will no longer work in new ones) or the 7th version of this OS is installed.
Press the WIN R keys on the keyboard at the same time and enter the command. cmd
In the command line that appears, enter:
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode = allow ssid = “Wi-FiName” key = “pass1111” keyUsage = persistent
You can immediately change the name with the password to the one you like. If the network is successfully created, this information will be displayed.
Now let’s run it, for this enter the command:
Important! After restarting the laptop, this command must be entered again, without it the distribution will not start, if you do not want to do it again every time, it is better to use special utilities, we will consider them in the next chapter below.
Interesting! If error information appears. most often it is caused by outdated or incorrectly working Wi-Fi adapter drivers, so you need to update the driver.
Other devices will already see the created WI-FI network and will even be able to connect to it. It remains to make the general access active so that the Internet works.
How to enable network sharing
Press the WIN R keys on the keyboard at the same time and enter the command. ncpa.cpl
See the complete name of the network you created. Next, right-click on the main Internet connection (Typically Ethernet or high-speed) and open “Properties”.
Switch to the “Access” tab and in the “Home network connection” section select the created Wi-Fi network. Then click on OK.
In some cases, the Internet may still not work on connected devices. At the command line, enter two commands in turn (just stop and restart the network):
- netsh wlan stop hostednetwork. stop
- netsh wlan start hostednetwork. run
Use these commands to manage your network. And the start command must be executed after the next shutdown of the laptop or reboot. After the done actions. everything will work.
How to distribute the Internet from a computer using third-party software
If you do not want to mess with the command line, you can use a special utility for quickly setting up a wireless access point. With the free Connectify Hotspot software, you can get it done in minutes.
- Download and Install Connectify Hotspot.
- Run the program and follow the prompts on the screen. The Russian interface language can be selected in the settings. The utility will ask you to set the type of computer connection to the Internet and the parameters of the new wireless network. After that, it remains to click on the start button to activate the access point.
When you’re done, you can distribute the internet to other devices over Wi-Fi. You can control the wireless network right in the program window.
Connectify Hotspot also has a paid version with additional features. For example, it allows you to distribute not only landline Internet via Wi-Fi, but also 3G and 4G. Hotspot Pro costs 35.
How to share the internet on a Windows computer
How to distribute the Internet from a computer via the command line
Another way to share wireless internet without third-party software. Not as simple as the previous one, but it works not only in Windows 10, but also in previous versions of the OS.
Run Command Prompt. To do this, enter “Command” in the search for the system, right-click on the found element and select “Run as administrator”.
To create a new distribution network, enter the command netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode = allow ssid = Stacy key = 4419E1z # in the line and press Enter. Instead of Stacy, you can enter any other network name, and instead of 4419E1z #. any other password.
To activate the created access point, enter the command netsh wlan start hostednetwork and press Enter again. If the commands worked, you will see the following text.
Now allow other users to go online through the created network. First open the Windows “Control Panel” and select “Network and Sharing Center”.
Then right-click on the icon for connecting your computer to the Internet, select “Properties” → “Access” and check the boxes next to the permission requests. In the “Home network connection” field, select the wireless connection created in the second step of the instruction.
After that, you can connect other devices to the Wi-Fi network configured in this way using the specified password. To disable the hotspot, type netsh wlan stop hostednetwork at a command prompt. To re-enable it, use the netsh wlan start hostednetwork command.
If the Internet does not work on the connected devices, open the Device Manager menu through the Control Panel, expand the Network Adapters item and check that all devices from this list are turned on. If you find inactive among them, enable them using the context menu.
If you have other problems, try reinstalling the network adapter drivers manually by downloading them from the manufacturer’s website, or automatically using Driver Booster or DriverPack service. The latter will do everything for you.
How to distribute the Internet from a computer using the Mobile Hotspot function (Windows 10 only)
The fastest way to share the Internet wirelessly, no additional programs or complex settings required.
Find the “Mobile Hotspot” menu: select “Start” → “Settings” (gear) → “Network and Internet” → “Mobile Hotspot”.
In the Internet Connection Sharing field, select the type of connection that connects the current computer to the Internet. It can be a Wi-Fi (or 3G) or Ethernet wireless connection.
Click “Change” and in the next window specify the name and password for the new wireless network through which the computer will distribute the Internet.
At the top of the page, enable the option “Allow the use of my internet connection on other devices”.
After that, you can distribute the Internet through the created Wi-Fi network. It is enough to connect the necessary devices to it using the password created in the third step. And you can turn off the distribution of the Internet in the same place where the wireless connection is turned off. in the “Network” window on the taskbar.
How to distribute the Internet from a computer using a cable
If you need to share the internet with another computer that doesn’t have a Wi-Fi adapter, you can do it using a regular internet cable. This method is called network bridging.
- Connect the Ethernet ports of both devices with a cable.
- On the computer from which you want to share the Internet, open the “Control Panel” and go to “Network and Sharing Center” → “Change adapter settings”. Names in different versions of Windows may differ.
- In the window that opens, select two connections using the Ctrl key. The first one should be responsible for connecting your computer to the Internet. The second is for connecting a second computer to this one. Right click on any of the two connections and select “Bridge Configuration”.
After a few seconds, a new connection should appear with the name “Network Bridge”, and the status “Connected, Connected” should be displayed next to the used connections. If everything goes well, the Internet will work on the second computer. But this may not happen immediately, but after 10-15 minutes.
How to distribute the Internet from a computer via cable or Wi-Fi
Several easy ways to share the internet with mobile devices and other computers.
If you need to share the Internet with multiple gadgets, but don’t have a router at hand, you can do without one. This instruction will help you turn your computer into a router for distributing the Internet through an access point (Wi-Fi network) or Ethernet wire.
How to share internet on Mac
In macOS, it’s pretty easy to set up Internet sharing both via cable and Wi-Fi. For this you do not need additional programs.
- Expand the Apple menu and go to System Preferences → Sharing.
- Check the “Shared Internet” box on the left pane and select the type of connection between the current computer and the Internet in the “Shared connection” list on the right side of the window. For example, if it is connected to the Network via a cable, choose Ethernet.
- In the For Computers Using box, select a method for sharing the Internet with other devices. For example, if you want to distribute the Internet without wires, choose Wi-Fi, if by cable, then Ethernet.
If you selected Wi-Fi, uncheck the Shared Internet checkbox, click Wi-Fi Settings and set the hotspot name and password, then check the Shared Internet checkbox again.
After making these settings, you can connect other devices to the computer using the selected method.
Sharing the Internet with Honor via Bluetooth
You can transfer traffic not only over Wi-Fi. If it is impossible to connect devices through it, it is important to know how to distribute mobile Internet on Honor using a Bluetooth connection:
- Go to the settings menu.
- Open the section “Wireless networks”.
- Click on the line “Modem mode”.
- Activate the slider “Bluetooth modem”.
Subsequent steps are taken on the target device. To connect to a Bluetooth hotspot on the Honoré, you need to:
- connect to the distributing gadget;
- open connection parameters;
- in the “Usage” section, activate the item “Access to the Internet”.
Important! Updating the firmware of another device via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth will significantly increase the traffic consumption.
Wi-Fi hotspot app
The free Wi-Fi hotspot program is capable of:
- distribute the Internet via Wi-Fi;
- create a Bluetooth hotspot;
- view the list of connected devices;
- limit the time of the communication session;
- set a traffic limit.
The negative characteristics of the utility include the English interface and the presence of ads, but the functionality of the application justifies these shortcomings.
The Wi-Fi hotspot application is suitable for creating a public hotspot in a cafe or a temporary guest network if friends come to the house.
How to distribute the Internet from an Honor smartphone. possible connection methods
If you know how to distribute the Internet to Honor, then you can access the World Wide Web from a laptop or other device, even in places where there are no Wi-Fi networks: for example, in nature or in the event of a power outage.
Possible errors and remedies
If the created access point does not work even if all instructions are strictly followed, then the following factors should be checked and excluded:
- Blocking the connection by a firewall. An antivirus program on a smartphone can consider the distribution of traffic as a malicious process and prohibit it. The PC screen protector can also interfere with the connection.
- Weak cellular signal. If Honor does not catch the network well, or it disappears, you should move the gadget to a place where the reception will be better and try to restore the connection. The metal case can also interfere with normal transmission.
- If the connection to the PC is carried out without the possibility of accessing the Internet, you should check the balance of the smartphone account. Otherwise, the devices will connect to each other, but they will not see the network. If everything is in order with finances and the cellular operator, you should restart your computer and try to log in again.
- The mobile phone or PC has a malicious application blocking the connection. To exclude the possibility of infection, you need to run antivirus scan on both devices.
- Airplane mode restricts calls and traffic. The user can activate it to mute the phone, and forget to turn off.
- If you get error messages while using the hotspot or your device crashes, the problem is most likely an operating system crash.
How to receive Internet from a mobile hotspot
The Wi-Fi connection on the Honor 8x, like on later models of any capacity. from 32gb to 128, is no different from a regular wireless connection. Select the name of the created point, and enter the password (if necessary). After that, the connection will be established, and you can log into your Instagram account or open a browser.
Note! Although the devices are nearby, it can take time to connect to Wi-Fi. If the new access point does not appear in the list of networks, you should wait 30-40 seconds and repeat the search.
Creating a wireless Wi-Fi hotspot
The functionality of transferring Wi-Fi traffic on smartphones is less than on routers. Mobile devices cannot see the list of connected devices, the visit counter can set limits, and the speed of the cellular Internet is usually lower. But in the absence of Wi-Fi, Honor 9 may well become a replacement hotspot for multiple devices.
Wi-Fi signaling is more likely to drain Honor’s battery, and frequent use of the smartphone can wear out the battery. It is better to turn an unnecessary device with broken glass or damaged gyroscope into a permanent modem.
Connecting to the Internet via Bluetooth from a computer
Connecting to a Bluetooth hotspot on a PC is more difficult than connecting from a smartphone. Step-by-step connection algorithm:
- Open the “Devices and Printers” menu on your computer.
- Go to the “Add a device” section. the PC will start searching for gadgets to connect.
- When the smartphone is found (it will be called approximately “Honor Smart Bluetooth phone”), select it and click the “Next” button.
- Compare device connection codes. If the numeric combinations that appeared on the Honor 10 Lite and the PC match, click “Next” again.
- Press the “Pairing” button on the smartphone.
- When the Honor entry is added to the “Devices and Printers” computer menu, right-click on it and select the “Connect via” line in the context menu.
- Activate the item “Access point”.
Before distributing the Internet via Bluetooth on Honor 10i, you should check the indicator of its connection to the network.
How to distribute the Internet to a computer via a USB cable
To connect a PC to the mobile Internet via a USB port, you need an original device cable or a cable adapted for data transfer. Cheap “artificial” no-name wires are most often created only for charging. Algorithm of actions:
- Connect both gadgets with a cable.
- Open phone notifications.
- Expand USB attach message.
- Select the “File Transfer” tag.
- Open the “Personal Access Point” menu in the settings (this item may also be called “Modem Mode”).
- Click “” and activate the USB connection slider.
Additional Information. Any working Honor smartphone can be turned into a modem: 10 10i, 20, 8x, 9 or 9x. At the same time, the amount of memory does not matter: all 4gb / 128gb devices are capable of distributing Wi-Fi.