Checking the possibility of distribution
First of all, run the command line as administrator (right click on the start button in Windows 10, and then select the appropriate item) and enter the command netsh wlan show drivers
The command line window should display information about the used Wi-Fi adapter driver and the technologies it supports. We are interested in the “Hosted Network Support” item (in the English version. Hosted Network). If it says “Yes”, then you can continue.
If there is no support for the hosted network, then first you need to update the drivers for the Wi-Fi adapter, preferably from the official website of the laptop manufacturer or the adapter itself, and then repeat the check.
In some cases, on the contrary, rolling back the driver to a previous version can help. To do this, go to the Windows 10 device manager (you can right-click on the “Start” button), in the “Network adapters” section, find the required device, right-click on it. properties. “Driver” tab. “Rollback”.
Again, re-check the hosted network support: if it is not supported, all other actions will have no effect.
Share Wi-Fi in Windows 10 using the command line
We continue to act in the command line running as administrator. In it you need to enter the command:
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode = allow ssid = remontka key = secretpassword
Where remontka is the desired name of the wireless network (set your own, without spaces), and secretpassword is the password for Wi-Fi (set your own, at least 8 characters, do not use Cyrillic).
As a result, you should see a message that the hosted network is running. You can already connect from another device via Wi-Fi, but it will not have access to the Internet.
Note: if you see a message stating that it is impossible to start the hosted network, while in the previous step it was written that it is supported (or the required device is not connected), try disabling the Wi-Fi adapter in the device manager, and then re-enabling it ( or delete it there, and then update the hardware configuration). Also try in the Device Manager in the View menu item to enable the display of hidden devices, then in the “Network Adapters” section, find the Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter, right-click on it and select “Enable”.
To access the Internet appeared, right-click on “Start” and select “Network Connections”.
In the list of connections, click on the Internet connection (exactly the one that is used to access the Internet) with the right mouse button. properties and open the “Access” tab. Enable the item “Allow other network users to connect to the Internet and apply the settings (if you see a list of home network connections in the same window, select the new wireless connection that appears after the hosted network starts).
If everything went as it should, and no mistakes were made during setup, now when you connect from a phone, tablet or other laptop to the created network, you will have access to the Internet.
To later disable the distribution of Wi-Fi, in the command line as administrator, enter: netsh wlan stop hostednetwork and press Enter.
How to distribute the Internet via Wi-Fi from a laptop in Windows 10
In my previous article about distributing Wi-Fi from a laptop, comments appear every now and then on the topic of the fact that these methods refuse to work in Windows 10 (however, some of them work, and it is most likely in the drivers). Therefore, it was decided to write this instruction (updated in August 2016).
This article is a step-by-step description of how to distribute the Internet via Wi-Fi from a laptop (or computer with a Wi-Fi adapter) in Windows 10, as well as what to do and what nuances to pay attention to if the described does not work: not the hosted network can be started, the connected device does not receive an IP address or works without Internet access, etc.
I draw your attention to the fact that this kind of “virtual router” from a laptop is possible for a wired connection to the Internet or for connecting via a USB modem (although during the check now I discovered that I have successfully distributed the Internet, “received” also via Wi- Fi, in the previous version of the OS, personally, this did not work for me).
Mobile hotspot in Windows 10
In the anniversary update of Windows 10, a built-in function has appeared that allows you to distribute the Internet via Wi-Fi from a computer or laptop, it is called a mobile hotspot and is located in Settings. Network and Internet. The function is also available to be enabled as a button when you click on the connection icon in the notification area.
All you need is to enable the function, select a connection to which other devices will be given access via Wi-Fi, set a network name and password, and then you can connect. In fact, all the methods described below are no longer required, provided that you have the latest version of Windows 10 and a supported connection type (for example, PPPoE distribution fails).
Nevertheless, if you have an interest or need, you can get acquainted with other ways to distribute the Internet via Wi-Fi, which are suitable not only for 10s, but also for previous OS versions.
Problems and solutions
For many users, despite the fulfillment of all the above points, Internet access via such a Wi-Fi connection does not work. Below are some possible ways to fix this and understand the reasons.
- Try turning off Wi-Fi distribution (the command just indicated), then turn off the Internet connection (the one to which we allowed public access). After that, turn them on again in order: first, the distribution of Wi-Fi (via the netsh wlan start hostednetwork command, the rest of the commands that were before that are not needed), then. the Internet connection.
- After starting the distribution of Wi-Fi, a new wireless connection is created in the list of network connections. Right-click on it and click “Details” (Status. Details). See if the IPv4 Address and Subnet Mask are listed there. If not, then specify it manually in the connection properties (you can take it from the screenshot). Similarly, in case of problems connecting other devices to the distributed network, you can use a static IP in the same address space, for example, 192.168.173.5.
- The firewalls of many antivirus programs block public access to the Internet by default. To see if this is the reason for the problems with the distribution of Wi-Fi, you can temporarily disable the firewall (firewall) altogether and, if the problem disappeared, start looking for the corresponding setting.
- Some users turn on sharing for the wrong connection. It must be enabled for the connection that is used to access the Internet. For example, if you have a local network connection, and Beeline L2TP or Rostelecom PPPoE is launched for the Internet, then general access must be provided for the last two.
- Check if Windows Internet Connection Sharing is enabled.
I think you will succeed. All of the above has just been verified in conjunction: a computer with Windows 10 Pro and an Atheros Wi-Fi adapter, iOS 8.4 and Android 5.1.1 devices were connected.
Additional: Connectify Hotspot promises to share Wi-Fi with additional functions (for example, automatically start sharing at login) in Windows 10, in addition, in the comments to my previous article on this topic (see How to share Wi-Fi from a laptop ), some have the free MyPublicWi-Fi program.
How to distribute the Internet from a computer or laptop to another computer, laptop, phone, tablet, televisor or other device
Do you want to share the Internet from your computer or laptop with another computer, laptop, phone, tablet, TV or other device, but don’t know how? On this page you will find detailed instructions with attached pictures on how to distribute the Internet from a computer or laptop via Wi-Fi to other devices.
In our example, we will show how to distribute WI-FI from a Windows 10 laptop. The method indicated in the article on how to make a Wi-Fi access point from a computer is also relevant on other versions of Windows. Why is this needed? Well, for example, you do not have a router and the Internet on your computer is connected directly from a cable, but you also need Internet on your phone, tablet, TV or other device. You can, of course, connect the Internet on your phone from a computer via a USB cable, but this is not entirely convenient, it is better to use Wi-Fi networks without wires over the air.
To make a WI-FI access point from a laptop and distribute the Internet, you need to do the following:
In the taskbar, which is usually located on the right side at the bottom of the screen, you need to click on the WI-FI icon (this is where the wireless networks are).
Next, the Internet settings window will open where we click on the “Mobile hotspot” icon, after which our laptop will become a Wi-Fi access point to which you can connect via WI-FI and use the Internet. look at the attached screenshots where the necessary items are highlighted.
To connect to the Internet on a computer, we need to know the name and password of the Wi-Fi network. To do this, hover the mouse pointer over the same “Mobile Hotspot” icon, press the right mouse button and then click on the “Go to parameters” button that appears.
In the opened parameters, we see the name and password for connecting to the computer’s Internet via Wi-Fi. If you want to access the Internet from your phone, then on the phone in the available Wi-Fi networks we find the name of your Mobile hotspot computer and enter the password and use the Internet.
You can distribute the Internet from a computer to several devices at once, in the screenshot above you can see that you can up to 8.
You can also distribute the Internet from a computer via Bluetooth by switching from Wi-Fi to Bluetooth in the same settings.
You can also change the network name, network password and network range by clicking on the “Change” button. Then I think you will figure it out yourself if you need to perform any additional settings for the access point.
The article was posted on February 23, 2019. Edited 14.04.
Create a Wi-Fi hotspot via Connectify
- Download and install software on a laptop.
- After the first launch of the utility, you may need to select its version. Lite or Pro. We mark the first option, since Pro is available only for users who have paid about 45 for the program.
- The application menu is almost the same as MyPublicWi-Fi. Here you also need to register the name and password of the access point, indicate the source of the Internet and the interface through which the mobile phone will be connected. In the Sharing Mode line, you additionally need to specify the type of network: open or closed with authorization.
- To start distributing the Internet via Wi-Fi, click Start Hotspot.
Sharing Wi-Fi with MyPublicWi-Fi
This application is absolutely free and has a user-friendly interface, albeit in a foreign language. With it, you can make a Wi-Fi hotspot with just a few clicks:
- Download and install the utility on a laptop. The latest version of the program weighs about 1 MB, so there will be no problems with downloading.
- Run the application as administrator.
- The utility itself consists of three tabs: Setting, Clients and Management. In the first tab, you can specify the name of the connection (Network name), set the password (Network key) and select the connection that uses the laptop. Be sure to check the box next to “Enable Internet Sharing”. To start the virtual router, click LMB Set Up and Start Hotspot.
- In order for the program to automatically load after each start of the PC, go to the Management tab and select the appropriate item. You may need to prevent users of the created network from using the Download Master and mTorrent file sharing services. To do this, check the top box, as shown in the figure.
- To find out who is connected to your point, go to the Clients tab.
How to distribute Wi-Fi from a laptop
You can easily connect your phone, tablet or other device to a high-speed Internet connected to your home through a Wi-Fi router (router). However, such a device is not always at hand (for example, you went to the country house, taking with you a laptop and a wireless USB modem). In such cases, you can use the Internet on a mobile gadget through a laptop, entrusting it with the functions of a router. Consider how to make a laptop a WI-FI access point.
Using a bat file
Creating a Wi-Fi access point via the command line is inconvenient because every time you turn off the PC, you need to re-write all the commands. Therefore, this method of turning a laptop into a router can only be used for a one-time Internet connection to a phone.
The execution of the above commands can be fully automated. To do this, you need to write a small script in a standard Windows text editor, and then save the document on the laptop desktop under any name in the.bat format. To start distributing Wi-Fi using a virtual router to your phone, you just need to run this document with administrator rights. An example script is shown in the figure, where YourSSID and YourPassword are the name of the wireless connection and the access key to it.
Creating a wireless access point using the Windows menu
The easiest way to create a virtual router is to use the “Network Control Center” function built into the OS. This requires:
- In the system tray, right-click on the global network access icon and select the required item.
- In the window that opens, activate the function “Create a new connection”, and then go to the section “Connecting to a Wi-Fi network manually” (“Setting up a PC-PC network”).
- Set the name of the future wireless network (for example, VirtualRouter), security type and access key. Using the security key, you can prevent third parties from connecting to Wi-Fi. For protection, it is recommended to use WPA2-Personal, which allows you to set a password of 8 characters or more. If your phone cannot find a WPA-2 protected network, try changing the encryption to WEP or abandon the password altogether.
- To create a Wi-Fi hotspot, click “Next”.
After the virtual router is created, in order to successfully use the Internet through it, you may additionally need to enable public access. This is done as follows:
- We go to the “Network Control Center” and call the properties of the network through which the laptop is connected to the Internet.
- In the “Access” tab, check the item “Allow other users to use the Internet on this PC”.
- We select the device with which the phone or other device will be connected. In our case, the access will be via Wi-Fi.
After all the steps have been completed, turn on Wi-Fi on the mobile gadget and start a search for available networks. In the drop-down list, select the network name that was specified when creating a virtual Wi-Fi router, and specify the specified key.
Create Wi-Fi access via command line
You can also use the command line to connect your phone to the Internet via a laptop, that is, using a virtual router. This procedure may seem complicated to an inexperienced user, however, following the instructions exactly, you will be able to turn on the Wi-Fi point in just a few minutes.
To start distributing WI-FI from laptop to phone, you need:
- Enter the command entry mode as administrator. To do this, in the “Search” line (called using the WinQ keys), enter “Command line” or cmd. In the drop-down list, click RMB on the corresponding line and select “Run as administrator”.
- Initialize the Wi-Fi network using the first command shown in the image. In it, the TestShare parameter denotes the name of the future network, and the numbers in order are the input password (at least 8 characters). The second command in the list can start the registered network, and the last command can stop it.
To distribute the Internet via a laptop to a phone or other device, you need to enable sharing to the newly created Wi-Fi point. To do this, go to the “Network Connections” section and call the properties of the network through which the Internet is connected to the laptop. After that, in the “Advanced” tab, put a “bird” in front of the corresponding item, and in the drop-down list, select the name of the created virtual router.
Creation of a virtual router through additional software
If none of the above methods helped to activate the distribution of the Internet on the phone, you can try to create a virtual Wi-Fi router using special software. There are a lot of such utilities on the network, but among them the most convenient are:
Ways to create a wireless access point
Any modern laptop is equipped with a wireless adapter that can be used as a Wi-Fi router. To do this, you need to create a kind of virtual bridge connecting network equipment (Wi-Fi adapter and network card).
To get this kind of routing, you can use the following tools:
- standard tools of Windows OS (graphical application “Network Control Center”, command line or bat-file);
- additional software.
Whichever method is chosen, you need to ensure compliance with the following conditions:
- The laptop must be running Windows 7 or higher. In earlier versions of operating systems (for example, in Windows XP), support for Wi-Fi networks is implemented at a low level. Therefore, it is not a fact that you will be able to turn on the distribution of the Internet on old operating systems.
- The laptop must be equipped with a Wi-Fi adapter. To find out if a wireless adapter is installed on your PC, you can go to the “Device Manager” and in the “Network adapters” tab, view the required information. The Wi-Fi adapter is called the Wireless 802.11 type.
- The PC must be connected to a wired or wireless Internet.