Features of connection via Wi-Fi network
Despite all the quality and speed of modern mobile Internet, home Wi-Fi is still out of competition. High speed, secure channel, several points of connection (depending on the connection speed and the quality of the router). all this allows you to broadcast anything on your TV in real time.
Instead of connecting your phone with a cable, try the network connection at least once. see the difference forever.
- you are not tied to one place. you can control the broadcast even from the next room, the main thing is that there is enough signal;
- no adapters. only stable and fast internet;
- everyone will figure it out. this is a very simple way to connect, even intuitive to anyone who has ever dealt with wirelessly connecting devices;
- the settings will be needed only for the first time. then the TV will remember the smartphone and will connect even faster.
The main advantage is convenience. No physical means of connection can compare to a wireless network. The only drawback is internet addiction. There is no network. which means that connecting the phone to the TV in this way will not work.
Creating a media server on your smartphone
If you have an extra smartphone in stock (outdated or one that you did not manage to sell after replacing it), it does not have to gather dust in the box just like that. You can make a media server out of it with almost no effort.
A modern smartphone is powerful enough in itself. Even cheap equipment may well “take over the responsibilities” of a media server, it would only be an Internet connection. Personal media server will provide fast transfer of any media data to any other connected device.
- old smartphone (preferably no older than 2012);
- external hard drive for data storage (sold separately and overall is a very worthwhile purchase).
What is needed to connect
A rare TV now does not work as a Wi-Fi hotspot, and there are no such models left among phones. For a successful connection, you only need a switched on TV, a switched on phone and a fast Internet connection, distributed in the house via Wi-Fi.
Nothing else is needed. if you have two devices, you can start whenever you want. It remains to figure out only the subtleties. software, additional functions and individual settings of your equipment.
Despite the fact that there is only one connection method, there are several ways to configure it internally, based on the individual needs of the user. For example, you can create a separate media server or use third-party hosting and services for your own purposes (for example, YouTube).
Why is it needed?
On the phone, no matter how good it was in its time, you can’t save a lot of data. The mobile device only has the function of transferring data to other devices. TVs, players, stereos, game consoles, etc.
It is better to store the data that you are going to broadcast on a separate removable hard drive. They are very spacious and relatively inexpensive. you can collect a whole video library in excellent quality, which is difficult and expensive to do on media.
Any information can be stored in this way, so that the media server can be used for both entertainment and business purposes. The process is completely reversible. if you need to return your mobile phone to its previous state, simply request a factory reset and disconnect it from the disk.
Broadcast via YouTube
YouTube is the most popular video hosting service in the world. The service takes into account not only the needs of content creators, offering them streaming and other operational features, but also offers its users the ability to watch videos more conveniently.
YouTube has long gone beyond a simple video hosting service. it is a full-fledged service where a client can purchase films and series, play videos on any device and engage in any content management for their convenience.
The platform’s management has long been introducing technologies that would allow those who want to watch their YouTube feed on the big screen to do it directly. Connecting to a TV and broadcasting video through your phone is as easy as shelling pears.
Why you should pay attention to this YouTube functionality:
- maximum picture quality. many videos on YouTube support not only FullHD, but also 2K / 4K resolutions;
- ease of use. it only takes a few minutes to launch a video on a large screen;
- in this mode, all other YouTube functions are preserved. only the screen that you see changes.
You can watch the videos you are interested in with maximum comfort. see for yourself using all the features of the world’s most popular video hosting.
Wi-Fi direct technology
Direct technology allows you to make network connections even more convenient by removing a Wi-Fi router from the list of required devices. If earlier it was impossible to do without a router, now two devices can be easily connected without it. The need for a router for other purposes is at the discretion of the user.
The technology operates on the peer-to-peer principle, that is, two devices with direct support are enough to implement. This function is not available in all phones and TVs, but the technology is being actively developed and implemented in order to remove routers altogether in the future, as a necessity.
- no extra spending on a router and no need to allocate space for it;
- even if there is a router, with the help of a direct it is possible not to occupy its resources, leaving them to devices without such technology support;
- speed. the quality of the connection will depend only on the speed you purchased from the provider, and not on the power of the router.
If possible, you should definitely try Wi-Fi Direct. as an alternative to the already outdated point connection.
All modern Android devices and TVs with Wi-Fi module are equipped with this option. To connect your phone and TV via Wi-Fi Direct, do the following:
- Enable this technology on your TV. As a rule, such a function is located inside the menu items “Network” or “Connections”. Activate it.
- On your phone, go to Settings. Connections. Wi-Fi. Enter the additional options menu (the “Menu” button or three dots in the upper right) and select “Wi-Fi Direct”.
This type of connection between Android and TV is also limited to watching videos and photos, listening to music.
You can connect your smartphone to the TV using special cables using the following methods:
- By USB;
- Via HDMI (directly or via MHL);
- SlimPort (uses both HDMI and other video connector).
Wi-Fi networks are used not only to distribute the Internet from routers to user devices, but also to transfer data, including from phone to TV. There are three main methods of Wi-Fi connection: DLNA, Wi-Fi Direct and MiraCast.
The simplest option, but the least functional. All you need is a USB cable, which usually comes with your phone.
- Connect your smartphone to TV using a microUSB or Type-C cable, preferably included with your Android device.
- On the TV, you must enable the mode of reading external media. As a rule, a window with the corresponding option appears when an external device is connected, in our case a smartphone. You need to choose “USB” or “Multimedia”.
- By selecting the desired mode, you can view multimedia files from your device on the TV screen.
Nothing complicated, but the possibilities of this type of connection are limited to viewing photos or videos.
HDMI, MHL, SlimPort
Now the main video connector for TVs and monitors is HDMI. more modern than VGA or RCA. An Android phone is capable of connecting to a TV via this jack in three ways:
- Direct HDMI connection: there are smartphones on the market that have a built-in miniHDMI connector (Sony and Motorola devices);
- Mobile High-Definition Link, abbreviated as MHL, which uses microUSB or Type-C for connection;
- Via SlimPort using a dedicated adapter.
To use the direct HDMI connection, you must have an adapter cable from the mini version of this connector to the older version. As a rule, these cables come with the phone, but there are also third-party solutions. However, now devices with such a connector are almost not produced, so finding a cord can be problematic.
The situation with MHL is better, but in this case it is worth familiarizing yourself with the specifications of the phone: budget models may not support this function directly. In this case, you should purchase a special MHL adapter for your phone. In addition, technology standards vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. So, for example, a Samsung cable will not work with LG and vice versa.
For SlimPort, an adapter is also indispensable, but it is only compatible with some smartphones. On the other hand, this type of connection allows you to connect your phone not only to HDMI, but also to DVI or VGA (depending on the adapter’s output connector).
The sequence of steps is the same for all connection options, so regardless of the type of connector used, follow these steps.
- Turn off your smartphone and TV. For HDMI and SlimPort. connect both devices with a cable and turn on. For MHL. first make sure that the ports on your TV support this standard.
- Enter your TV menu and select “HDMI” as the source. If your TV has several such ports, you need to select the one to which the phone is connected. To connect via SlimPort via a connector other than HDMI, this happens automatically.
Be careful when using MHL! If the port on the TV does not support this feature, the connection will fail!
This method provides more options than a USB connection. The downside to direct HDMI is the need for a phone charger. SlimPort is supported by a limited number of devices. MHL, on the other hand, is devoid of obvious drawbacks, therefore it is one of the preferred options.
Connecting an Android smartphone to a TV
One of the first ways to wirelessly connect Android devices and TVs. To work with this technology, you need to install a special application on your phone, while the TV itself must support this type of connection. The most popular application supporting this protocol is BubbleUPnP. Using his example, we will show you how to work with DLNA.
- Turn on your TV and make sure Wi-Fi is active. The network to which the TV is connected must match the network that your phone is using.
- Download and install BubbleUPnP on your smartphone.
After installation, go to the application and click on the button with three stripes at the top left to go to the main menu.
Go to the “Library” tab and select the media files you want to watch on TV.
DLNA, like wired USB, is limited to media files, which may not work for some users.
The most common transmission technology today is MiraCast. It is a wireless version of HDMI connection: mirroring the display of a smartphone to a TV screen. MiraCast is supported by modern Smart TV and Android devices. For TVs that do not have Smart features, you can purchase a dedicated set-top box.
Enter the TV settings menu and turn on the “MiraCast” option.
One of the most convenient methods, however, it is also not without drawbacks: low picture quality and transmission delay.
Major smartphone manufacturers such as Samsung, LG and Sony also make TVs. Naturally, smartphones and TVs from the same brand (provided that generations coincide) have their own ecosystem with their own specific connection methods, but this is already a topic for a separate article.