How to transfer picture and video from computer to TV via Wi-Fi (DLNA)
This method of wirelessly connecting TVs is considered the most common. This and all subsequent instructions are written for Windows 7, 8.1 and Windows 10 operating systems.
- the presence of a Wi-Fi block;
- the TV is connected to a router from which computer equipment works with video and audio materials.
If the TV supports Wi-Fi Direct, a router is not required. you can connect directly to the TV network. To make a connection, you need to go to the corresponding TV menu.
The DLNA function can be used to play content without setting up a DLNA server. Condition. the computer and the TV must be in the same local network. connected to the same router or via Wi-Fi Direct.
- Configure DLNA server on your computer. You need to open access to the files you want. To do this, select the “Home” type in the network settings. All other folders. with documents, pictures, music and videos become available by default.
To open access to a specific folder, just right-click on it. Select the Properties and Access tabs from the context menu.
- Turn on sharing. The quickest option is to open File Explorer and select Network. If you are then informed that network discovery and access are disabled, click on the message and follow the instructions that appear.
If this message does not appear and computers and media servers are displayed instead, most likely DLNA is already configured. Otherwise, you will have to configure the DLNA server.
When DLNA is configured and connected, open the TV menu and see what devices are connected. The algorithm of actions depends on the brand of the TV, for example:
- in Sony Bravia, press the Home button, and then, selecting the desired section. Music, Movies, Pictures, view the contents of your computer;
- in LG, select SmartShare, there you will see what is in the folders, even if you do not have this program on your computer.
In TVs of other brands, you have to perform approximately the same manipulations using the appropriate programs.
When DLNA is connected, then go to the desired folder on your computer and, by clicking on the video file in the explorer, select “Play on”. The dots will be replaced by the name of your TV. Next, the video signal transmission via Wi-Fi will start. from a computer / laptop to TV.
Even if the TV has support for MKV movies, “Play To” does not work for them in Windows 7 and 8, so they will not be visible in the TV menu, the easiest way to fix the problem is to rename these files to AVI on your computer.
Connecting a laptop to a Smart TV via WI-FI wirelessly
Most TVs today are equipped with a function that makes interactive content available to them. Movies, music, games and much more can be displayed on the TV screen. This technology is called Smart TV.
“Smart” is implemented in TVs “Samsung”, similar technologies are available from other manufacturers. “Sony”, “Philips”, “PanaSonyk” and others. Let’s take a closer look at how to connect a TV with Smart technology to a regular laptop via Wi-Fi.
- Connect your laptop and TV to the same Wi-Fi network. If the computer equipment is already connected to the router, it remains to do the same for the TV. Turn on the TV and use the remote control to enter its “Settings”, and then to the “Network” tab.
- Turn on the Wi-Fi adapter. Select the connection point for the laptop from the list. Now both devices are connected to the same local network.
- Configure DLNA Server. Open on your laptop access to folders containing videos and other content. This is done in the “Network Control Center”. Go to the “View active networks” section, and change the general network to local.
DLNA Server Setting:
- Expand file access. For example, you need to watch a movie that is on your hard drive. Find the folder “My Videos” and click on it, opening the context menu.
- In the drop-down list, select “Access”, and from it go to “Advanced settings”. Check the box at the top next to Share this folder. Click “Apply” and then “Ok”.
Selecting “Advanced Setting”:
- There is another way to enable sharing. Open “File Explorer” and select “Network”. Click the tab that turns off network discovery and file sharing. Then follow the directions.
- After enabling DLNA, take the remote control and find the section on viewing content on your computer in the menu. For example, on Sony TVs this item is called “Home”, on LG. “SmartShare”.
If all the settings are correct, you will include the video from the laptop in two clicks:
- Having highlighted the file you like in the laptop, right-click on it and select “Play on” from the menu.
- Find your TV model in the list of devices. Click on it, and the video file will be broadcasted to the screen.
TV as a wireless display (WiDi)
We figured out how to play computer files on a TV screen, and how to make them available. Next, we will learn how to watch any picture from a computer / laptop on TV. The TV will act as a wireless monitor.
- If your computer has a 3rd generation Intel processor, it has an Intel wireless adapter with an integrated Intel HD Graphics, then it supports Intel WiDi in Windows 7 and 8.1.
You may need to download Intel Wireless Display. You can download the program on the official Intel website.
- If Windows 8.1 was preinstalled on the computer / laptop and there is a Wi-Fi adapter, then Miracast must be supported. When installing Windows yourself, you can have any option. with or without support.
Earlier versions of the operating system. up to 8.1, Miracast does not support.
TV support is required to use Miracast. A couple of years ago, you would have had to buy a special adapter, but today many TVs are released with built-in support for Miracast technology, or receive it after a flashing.
- Turn on WiDi or Miracast support on your TV. It usually works by default. It happens that the TV does not have such a setting at all, then it is enough to turn on the Wi-Fi module. In “Samsung”, for example, this function was called “Screen Mirroring”, it is located in the network settings.
- Enable WiDi by launching Intel Wireless Display and select the wireless monitor. You may be asked for a code. it will appear on the TV screen. Looking for a WiDi wireless monitor:
- To enable Miracast in Windows 8.1, open Charms. this panel is on the right. Click the “Devices” and “Projector” tabs in sequence. Then click the mouse on the inscription “Add wireless display”.
If this item is not present, it means that your computer does not support Miracast technology, in order to correct the situation, you will have to update the Wi-Fi adapter drivers.
How to connect a TV to a computer or laptop via Wi-Fi: mirroring screens
Many users prefer to watch video production on large screens rather than computer monitors. Thanks to wireless communication and special programs, your TV can, if necessary, play the role of a large display that works in conjunction with a computer via Wi-Fi.
How to connect a TV to a computer or laptop via Wi-Fi?
The TV is connected to the computer not only by various wired methods, but also via Wi-Fi. The signal source can be either a stationary computer or a laptop. The screen can be used to view videos and audio recordings from the hard drive.
Almost all the methods used to connect a TV to Wi-Fi require that it has support for wireless communication. That is, the TV must have a Wi-Fi adapter. Most modern TV devices have a similar device.
Wi-Fi connection of a regular TV without a wireless adapter via HDMI input
If you haven’t got a modern Smart TV, nothing is lost. A simple TV can also be used to solve the problem. The main thing is that the device has an HDMI input.
To achieve this goal, you will need one of the following devices:
- Google Chromecast. This little gadget is called a digital or network media player. These are Google products. The device is designed to transfer video and audio files via Wi-Fi from the Internet or local network.
What Google Chromecast looks like:
- Android Mini PC. It looks like a USB flash drive. Connects via HDMI port to TV.
- Intel Compute Stick. The device is about the size of a package of chewing gum and can turn any monitor with HDMI input into a full-fledged computer with high-quality graphics and wireless connectivity. This compact computer measures 11.5 cm.
We connect the TV to the laptop through special software
You can connect two devices via WI-FI to display an image using various programs. Today, there is a lot of all kinds of software for playing content on a TV without using wires. Although the most in demand are:
- home media server;
- Samsung Share (has a simplified interface, but mostly compatible only with Samsung devices);
- Share Manager.
And of all these programs, the home media server is the most stable application in operation. In addition, it fits almost all TV models from different manufacturers. Using a home media server as an example, we will tell you how to display an image from a laptop on TV:
- We download the distribution kit for free from the official website of the developer. http://www.homemediaserver.ru
- Installing the program on a laptop.
- We launch it. A table will appear listing the various devices. In this list, you need to choose the one to which the content will be transmitted. That is, we look for and click on your TV model. Click the “Next” button.
- The program will offer to share certain folders. By default, these are “Videos”, “Music”, “Pictures”. However, you can manually specify other folders where you store your movies or photos so that you can later watch them on your TV screen. Just click on the right button “Add” with a big green plus.
- Then we confirm the scanning procedure. Click “Ok” and “Finish”.
Now the various content that you have specified in the home media server program will be displayed on the big screen of the TV.
Other similar applications work on the same principle. So there shouldn’t be any difficulties in using them. So you learned how to connect a laptop to a TV via a wireless WI-FI network using special software.
We connect a TV with Smart TV technology to a laptop
Most modern TV devices are equipped with a function that allows you to access interactive content. Due to which you can easily display on the TV screen a wide variety of information from the Internet. movies, videos, music, games, blogs, etc. This technology is called Smart.
The most common and advanced platforms are Samsung Smart TV and LG Smart TV. Other manufacturers, such as Sony, Philips, Panasonic, Thomson, etc., are actively introducing this technology.
So we will connect such a TV with Smart TV to a laptop. This is done as follows:
- We connect both laptop and TV to one wireless point. For example, to a router. You already know how to do this on a laptop. So let’s start with the TV. We turn on the device and, using the remote control, go to the settings. We find a section called “Network” (or something similar).
- We turn on the WI-FI adapter. Select from the list the access point to which the laptop is already connected. All two devices are connected to the same network.
- Next, we set up a DLNA server. Does it sound scary and incomprehensible? Do not be afraid. In fact, we just open network access to folders with video and other content. This is done on a laptop. The first step is to go to the “Network Control Center”. In the “View active networks” section, change the public network to a private (home) one.
- Now we need to share a specific directory. For example, let’s say you want to watch a movie on TV that is stored on your laptop’s hard drive. Then we find the folder “My Videos”. Click on it with the right mouse button.
- In the window that appears, select the “Access” section. From there, go to the “Advanced Settings” item. Here, at the very top, set a checkmark opposite “Share this folder”. Then we press “apply” and “ok”.
- There is another way to enable sharing. Open Windows Explorer, select the “Network” item. We find the message “Network discovery and file sharing are disabled.” Click on it and follow the instructions of the assistant.
- After DLNA is turned on, we take the remote control from the TV. In the device menu, we are looking for an item dedicated to viewing the contents of various external connected sources. Let’s say it’s called “Home” on Sony TVs. There are films, pictures or music. All that remains is to select the desired content from your computer. If it’s LG, then you need to find the “SmartShare” section and click “View PC content”.
If you have configured everything correctly, then you can start movies in two clicks. You just “highlight” any video file on your laptop, click on it with the auxiliary mouse button and select “Play on…”. In the list that opens, you just need to click on your TV model. For example, Sony Bravia KDL-42W817B. Then the broadcast on the big screen will start automatically.
For reference! Videos in MKV format with this connection, most likely, will not be played. Therefore, choose files with the AVI extension.
We connect the TV to the laptop using WiDi
First of all, this method is good because it does not require any “sharing” of folders and sharing settings. WiDi technology uses the Wi-Fi standard and simply duplicates the picture from the laptop onto the screen of the TV device. However, there are a couple of nuances. You can arrange a connection in this way only if the laptop:
- Assembled on the basis of the third generation Intel processor;
- Equipped with Intel Wi-Fi module;
- Integrated Intel graphics;
- OS. Windows 7, 8, 10.
In some cases, you may also need to install Intel Wireless Display software. As for the TV itself, it must support Miracast (WiDI) technology. Most modern models, which are produced from 2012-2013, have this function by default.
The WiDi connection procedure itself includes several stages:
- On the TV, open the Smart Applications or Settings menu, from where you can control the available functions. This can usually be done by pressing the “Smart” or “Home” buttons on the remote.
- Find and select “Screen Share”. On some TV models, there is a separate Miracast / Intels WiDi item in the settings. we just look for and activate it. On Samsung TVs, this feature is called Screen Mirroring. If you can’t find a similar section, then just turn on Wi-Fi on the TV device.
- Open Intel Wireless Display on the laptop. If this software is not available by default, then download and install.
- Once launched, the app will automatically scan for wireless displays. The user only needs to select the appropriate option and click “Connect”.
- You may not be able to sync your laptop and TV right away. Often the system asks you to enter a special code that appears on the TV display. Then we wait a few seconds for the connection to complete. That’s all you managed to transfer the image from the laptop to the big screen.
It also happens that you did everything as described above, but the laptop does not see the TV. Then open the Charms-panel on the laptop, click the “Devices” tab. Then select “Projector” and add your wireless screen. We also update the Wi-Fi drivers.
Connecting laptop to TV via WI-FI
The size of the laptop screen does not always allow you to comfortably watch videos and photos, play computer games or just surf the Internet. Therefore, many users connect a laptop to a TV. This can be done using a dedicated HDMI cable. Then the screen of the TV-device will become like a second monitor to project the image from the laptop. But it is much easier to connect a laptop to a TV via WI-FI. There is no need to place equipment as close to each other as possible or to connect and hide wires. So today we will tell you about how to connect a laptop to a TV via WI-FI in different ways.
What to do if the TV does not have a WI-FI module?
Wireless connection with a laptop via Wi-Fi is not possible if there is no special module. For example, it is absent on older TV devices that were released more than 5 years ago. Naturally, without a cable, a laptop cannot be connected to such a TV. How to be? We’ll have to use additional devices.
For example, an adapter can help expand the capabilities of your TV. It is usually plugged into the HDMI port. What similar gadgets can we recommend? It:
- Google Chromecast;
- Android Mini PC;
- Compute Stick;
- Miracast adapter.
All of the above adapters will allow you to establish a wireless connection and transfer images from your laptop to your TV.