Another option is how you can connect a hard drive to your TV. It is usually used when you want to display data from a SATA disk on a TV.
over, the adapters themselves are different. It’s just a cable, or a compact device in a case.
It is the second option that most users prefer. This is due to the fact that at the expense of the case, you can convert the internal disk to an external one. This makes it more convenient to store and carry.
To connect your hard drive to a modern LG or Samsung TV using an adapter, you must follow the instructions:
- If the internal hard disk has more than 2 TB of memory, you will need to use a cable with additional power or a box with external power. In the first case, it’s just a pair of USB plugs. And in the second situation, this is a USB cable in combination with a power supply.
- Regardless of the format in which the adapter is made (cable or case), the subsequent steps are SIMilar to the previous method of connecting via USB.
- The cable should be inserted into the USB connector on the TV.
- The TV should then automatically detect the new device and display the appropriate notification.
- If the information does not appear, the remote control selects the signal source.
But it is only important to remember that formatting involves deleting all data. Therefore, they should be saved and then dropped back onto the HDD.
Instructions for connecting an external hard drive to the TV
Modern TVs have more and more functionality. But one of the pressing problems is rightly considered the lack of internal memory.
To fix this, users use various external storage devices. over, some of them are sure that an exclusively ordinary USB flash drive can be connected to the TV.
and more questions arise regarding the connection of a TV and an external hard drive.
Why connect an external hard drive
New TVs are an essential component of a complete multimedia center. TV requires an impressive amount of information to be stored. This is a photo from the family archive, filters, games, etc.
There are at least 3 reasons to think about connecting an external storage device to your TV:
- Storage. There is no need to store a huge amount of disks, record and delete movies from a USB flash drive and for viewing. One external drive is enough to store everything at once. This allows you to open the HDD menu at any time, select the required folder, watch from graduation, revise a photo from a wedding, or SIMply turn on your favorite movie. You do not need to have an Internet connection and depend on the provider for this. A relevant option for those who do not have Smart TV, or when the Internet SIMply does not work and it is impossible to watch online.
- Recording. With an external hard drive at your disposal, you can turn on live recording, save an entire football match, record a Formula 1 race or your favorite TV show. And as soon as the opportunity or desire arises, to review this entry, at any time to stop.
- View. Sometimes the HDD is the only way to watch something on the big TV screen.
This makes it much easier to connect and view recorded content than HDMI.
Not all TVs support HDMI. But at least one USB connector is available even on fairly old TVs.
What hard drives can be connected
Before proceeding with the connection, it is worth understanding whether it is possible at all to make such a connection between an external drive and a TV.
Much depends on what kind of hard drive the user decided to connect to his TV. It can be an external or internal hard drive:
- External hard drive. It is a self-contained storage device that does not require a power source. This is a kind of flash drive of increased volume. To operate, it has enough power received when connected to a TV. These drives usually come with a USB cable. It is extremely rare to buy a cord. It is through this cable that the connection is made.
- Internal hard drive. Another drive, which is an indispensable part of a laptop and a system computer unit. These are SATA drives. They can also be connected with a modern TV. For connection, use a special adapter with an adapter. For some models with increased memory capacity, you will have to additionally purchase a power supply, since the TV’s capabilities are not enough for work. That is, the connection can be direct from the outlet or using an additional USB connector.
The most logical choice is the first option. But sometimes it becomes necessary to connect a SATA disk.
In total, there are 3 options for connecting an external drive to TV.
This is done using:
- third party devices.
Each option has its own characteristics.
Third party devices
Sometimes the first two options for connecting hard drives to TVs are not suitable, and you have to look for an alternative way out of this situation.
In fact, connecting an external hard drive directly to a TV can be done not only via USB and special adapters. It is quite possible to use third-party devices here.
This problem usually occurs if all available USB ports are occupied by other devices that cannot be disconnected. Or the connector itself is broken.
The following are used as third-party devices:
- personal computers;
- game consoles (consoles);
- DVD players;
- smart set-top boxes;
- receivers, etc.
Depending on what device is used, the most optimal option is selected to connect a removable hard drive to the TV.
But classic tulips can also act as an analogue.
The meaning of the connection is to select the appropriate source of the received signal for display on the TV. The drive is connected to a third-party device using a USB connector. This allows you to manage all files exactly through the device used.
In fact, it turns out that you can flip through the photos using the joystick from the game console, or view them. controlling the Playlist using a touch mouse on a laptop.
The easiest and most common option is how to connect an external hard drive to your TV. Modern TVs have several connectors. Among them, USB is always present. over, most often he is not alone there.
Therefore, the most likely way to connect the drive and the TV is to use a USB cable. A universal way for most cases.
To connect an existing hard drive to a modern TV brand LG, Samsung or Toshiba, for example, you need:
- take a USB cable from the external storage package;
- insert one end of the cable into the connector on the disk;
- Find the USB jack on the back or side of the TV
- wait for a notification on the connection of a new device to appear on the screen;
- if the message does not appear automatically, use the remote control to select the USB connector as the signal source;
- open the root folder of the hard drive, find the desired file and play it.
It is because of this that alternative programs or other connection methods are often used.
TV does not see HDD
Following the instructions and connecting the TV and the hard drive together, sometimes it turns out that the TV still does not see this external drive.
Indeed, switching between two devices is not always successful. But this does not mean at all that further attempts to establish communication are doomed to failure.
If you physically connect these two devices together, but the TV screen still does not display a message about connecting the drive, you need to try the following solutions to the problem:
- Clean connectors. Oddly enough, but in some cases, if you just pull out the cable and blow out the connectors, after reconnecting everything works stably. Small dirt can disrupt the quality of the contact, which is why the TV does not see the connection.
- Check cable integrity. It can be damaged, squashed, frayed and SIMply trite deformed. It is unlikely that such a cord could have been attached to the configuration of an external drive. But if some old USB cable is used to connect, this is quite possible.
- Use an additional USB plug. Most often it is made in red. If available, plug in this auxiliary plug. Perhaps the equipment SIMply does not have enough power to work.
- Check if the connection is correct. It is possible that somewhere the plug is inserted incorrectly or into the wrong socket. Once again, you should double-check everything, turn off the TV and turn it on again. Chances are things will now start working fine.
- Make sure the equipment is working properly. Quite often, the user is connected to external hard drives that have not been tested or tested before. That is, there is no certainty that they are serviceable and efficient. To do this, the hard drive can be connected to a desktop PC or laptop. If computers see it, then the problem is not with the hard drive. You can connect a USB flash drive, phone, tablet to the USB connector. If the TV reads them, then the problem with the connector can be safely excluded.
- Format disk. This can be done in FAT32 or NTFS. Quite a serious measure. But if the current contents of the external hard drive are of little value, formatting can provide the necessary interaction between it and the TV. It is important to understand here that when formatting, all data is erased. Therefore, all the most valuable must first be saved in another place.
Despite the fact that external and internal disks can be used for connection, in fact the connection diagram, their synchronization and playback on the TV are virtually identical.
HDD is a great way to expand the internal storage of any TV. over, an external hard drive can be multi-purpose, that is, it can be used SIMultaneously to work with several devices, connecting to a computer, tablet and acting as auxiliary equipment for a TV.
Basically, external hard drives are used in order to play various multimedia content on TV. After all, it is much more pleasant to view colorful photos on a large screen, as well as enjoy beautiful landscapes, action scenes and detailed characters on a widescreen TV display with volume sound and other advantages.
For what purposes and tasks to use the external drive, each user decides for himself. And there shouldn’t be any problems with the connection. At least if the TV has the necessary and functional connectors. Even for relatively old TVs, this is not a problem. At least one USB port must be present there.
How to turn on a USB flash drive on a TV from LG, Samsung and others
A small flash drive has become an integral part of the transfer of information, because there is nothing easier and more reliable than downloading a movie or photos to it and transferring them to view on another device. It is especially good to watch photos on a large TV screen. All leading manufacturers complete their TV devices with USB connectors. If this is not provided, then it is quite possible to get by with adapters, which are now very much on sale. Let’s take a closer look at how to connect a USB flash drive to a TV.
Ways to connect USB media to TV
Modern technologies allow you to enjoy viewing your home and photos on the big screen. And Flash plays an intermediary role. Almost all TV-device models have USB ports. This makes it possible to quickly and easily view the data. But if your TV set is not equipped with such a port, then you will have to use an alternative. If you need to connect a USB drive to the TV set, there are several ways to do this:
- Via USB port;
- Via USB-connector of a DVD-player;
- Using the appropriate connector on the media player;
- Through adapter.
If there is no USB port on the TV?
To view. or photo content through a TV device that does not have a USB connector, you must use alternative methods: through a media player, through a DVD player, through an adapter, an HDMI cable.
How to watch movies from a USB flash drive on TV?
- burn a movie to a Flash drive;
- insert it through the USB connector on the TV case;
- select the required source through the “Menu”;
- start to play.
Using a DVD or media player
Let’s figure out how to connect a USB flash drive to an old TV. Older models did not have USB connectors. But surely every owner of an old TV has a DVD player, so you can connect a flash drive through it. The DVD player connects to the TV set through tulips, and then you can insert a flash drive into the port on the player.
If there is no player, then it will be replaced by a media player, which is a great modern alternative. Using a cable, the player is first connected to the TV-panel, and then a USB flash drive is inserted into it through the USB port.
Using the USB port on the TV
The easiest and most natural way to connect a TV to a USB flash drive is to insert it directly into the port on the TV panel case. The aLGorithm of actions is as follows:
- Write to a USB flash drive the data you want to view on the big screen.
- Insert it into the USB port on the case (most likely, it is located on the back panel).
- Turn on the TV-device and go to the “Menu”.
- Select to read data from the required medium.
- Then select the information on the media that you want to view.
If you cannot find the required connector on the TV panel case, then use the adapter. This is a cable with an HDMI connector on one end and a USB on the other. As a rule, such cables are not long, but only 20-30 cm. The sequence of actions required for viewing is saved.
If the broadcast has not started on the TV set, it means that the format in which the file was recorded is not supported by the TV device. In this case, you will have to download the movie in a different format, but first find out what formats the TV supports.
Using a digital set-top box
An excellent alternative for connecting a flash drive and playing is a digital set-top box. As a rule, modern receivers are equipped with all ports that exist at the moment. The only exceptions are Apple products, which have abandoned USB ports on their set-top boxes. Connection to the TV is carried out through the HDMI port, and the flash drive is inserted into one of the USB ports.
You can also play from a flash drive through an Android set-top box, which has all the connectors that a digital tuner does. All connection actions must be performed in the same way.
Play did not start
This is possible if the flash drive is inserted and the TV is forgotten. Or playback does not start because the format is not supported by the TV device.
Frequently asked questions and answers to them
Let’s consider the most common questions that arise when connecting a flash drive to a TV.
Connecting to a computer (inside the system unit)
The most frequently asked question is how to connect a hard drive to the computer’s system unit. As a rule, such a task may arise before someone who has decided to independently assemble a computer, replace a hard drive, or, in case some important data needs to be copied to the main hard drive of the computer. The steps for such a connection are quite SIMple.
How to connect a hard drive to a laptop
First of all, I want to note that if you do not know how to connect a hard drive to a laptop, then I would recommend contacting the appropriate wizard for this, for whom computer repair is a job. This is especially true of all sorts of ultrabooks and Apple MacBook laptops. Also, you can connect a hard drive to a laptop as an external HDD, which will be described below.
However, in some cases, connecting a hard drive to a laptop for replacement is not difficult. As a rule, on such laptops, from the bottom side, you will notice one or two or three “caps” screwed on with screws. Under one of them is the hard drive. If you have just such a laptop, feel free to remove the old hard drive and install a new one, this is done elementary for standard 2.5-inch hard drives with a SATA interface.
How to connect a hard drive to a computer or laptop
Connecting a hard drive to a laptop or computer is not too difficult a task, however, those who have never encountered it may not know how to do it. In this article I will try to consider all possible options for connecting a hard drive. both mounting inside a laptop or computer, and options for external connection in order to rewrite the necessary files.
Determining the type of hard drive
First of all, take a look at the hard drive you want to connect. And determine its type. SATA or IDE. The type of hard drive can be easily seen from the power pins and the motherboard interface.
IDE (left) and SATA hard drives (right)
Most modern computers (and also laptops) use the SATA interface. If you have an old HDD for which the IDE bus is used, then some problems may arise. such a bus may not be present on your motherboard. Nevertheless, the problem can be solved. it is enough to purchase an adapter from IDE to SATA.
What and where to connect
For a hard drive to work on a computer, in almost all cases, you only need to do two things (all this is done with the computer turned off, with the cover removed). connect it to the power supply and the SATA or IDE data bus. What and where to connect is shown in the picture below.
Connecting an IDE hard drive
Connecting a SATA hard drive
- Pay attention to the wires from the power supply, find the one suitable for the hard drive and connect. If there is none, there are IDE / SATA power adapters. If your hard disk has two types of power connectors, just connect one of them.
- Connect the motherboard to the hard drive using a SATA or IDE cable (if you need to connect an old hard drive to your computer, an adapter may be needed). If this hard drive is the second hard drive on your computer, then most likely you will have to purchase a cable. One end connects to the corresponding connector on the motherboard (for example, SATA 2), the other to the hard drive connector. If you want to connect a hard drive from a laptop to a desktop PC, this is done in the same way, despite the difference in size. everything will work.
- It is recommended to fix the hard disk in the computer, especially if you are going to use it for a long time. But, even in the case when you just need to overwrite files, do not leave it in a hanging position that allows it to move during operation. when the hard drive is working, vibration is generated, which can lead to “falling out” of connecting wires and damage to the HDD.
If two hard drives were connected to the computer, you may need to enter the BIOS in order to configure the boot sequence so that the operating system boots as before.
Connect the hard drive as an external drive
The easiest way to connect is to connect your hard drive to your computer or laptop as an external drive. This is done using the appropriate adapters, adapters, external cases for HDD.
The meaning of the operation of all these accessories is approximately the same. the required voltage is supplied to the hard drive through the adapter, and the connection to the computer is via a USB interface. This procedure does not represent anything complicated and it works SIMilarly to ordinary flash drives. The only thing is that in the case of using the hard disk as an external one, be sure to use safe removal of the device and in no case turn off the power during its operation. with a high degree of probability, this can lead to damage to the hard disk.
Connecting an external hard drive via USB
External hard drives are very convenient to use, since they do not require any special movements. they already have the necessary USB cable, and also do not require a separate power supply, receiving energy directly from the TV.
Regular external USB hard drive.
External hard drive cable.
On the example of LG Smart TV, on the back panel there are several usb connectors, one of which is signed as “HDD IN”. we just need to connect our external hard drive to the TV into it:
HDD USB connector on LG TV.
We just insert the cable there and after a while a message about a successful connection should appear on the TV. Next, in the menu, select our disk and open or whatever you wanted. By the same analogy, you can connect to TVs Samsung, Philips, Sony, Sharp and others.
I advise you to use hard drives that support USB 3.0 technology. this is the fastest data transfer port today, which will provide you with a more comfortable experience with your device. The difference is most noticeable at high volumes. But it is also worth not forgetting that the TV itself must support the third version.
How to connect a hard drive to a TV
Many modern TV models are equipped in such a way that you can easily connect hard drives, as well as other devices via USB ports and other means of communication. This quality helped the TV to stop being an ordinary box for watching evening news, but turned into a real media combine.
Why is it needed at all?
Store tons of DVDs with movies, and then have to allocate a separate cabinet for them and search for the desired movie for a long time. It is much more convenient to keep them digitally on one compact hard drive. It is very convenient, for example, to record files with your favorite movies from a computer and then watch them on TV.
The second reason is recording from the TV to the hard disk directly from the air, because the built-in memory on the TV may not be enough and for this you need to use external drives, such as USB flash drives or HDD.
The third reason is that often the disc is the only way to watch media on TV, since it is not always possible to connect any device via HDMI cable.
Connecting an internal SATA hard drive via an adapter
The SATA connection interface was created specifically for internal use in laptops and system units and was not originally intended for external use, but this does not mean that this cannot be done.
There is an exit. there are special adapters and adapters for hard drives to usb, with which you can connect HDD drives to the TV with a cable. However, it is worth noting that in some cases it is worth thinking about a separate power supply for the hard drive, this applies to large hard drives (usually over 2 TB). In this case, your adapter must support the ability to power the disk (via an additional USB connector or using a regular power cord to the outlet).
External view of adapter-adapter for hard drive to USB port.
- The entrance to the adapter. micro usb.
- Two regular USBs: black. basic, red. additional power supply if necessary (not required with a 250 gigabyte disk).
Thus, almost any hard drive can serve as an external HDD for the TV.
Adapter with cap removed.
We insert our hard drive inside, with the label up, as shown in the photo:
Now close the lid and you can use it. My TV read such a medium without any problems and even recognized both virtual disks, only gave them their own names: Disk 1 and Disk 2, instead of C and D, respectively. But this does not change the essence. all data is read.
Using another device
If you want to connect an external or hard drive to an older TV model, it is much easier to use an auxiliary device for this. Let’s consider all possible ways:
- If there is no USB port on the TV or the USB port does not work, then you can connect the HDD via a laptop, via HDMI.
- Use a TV, SMART or Android set-top box. This is a special device that connects to the TV through the AV-input or “tulip”. After that, you can connect a USB flash drive, hard drive or other removable media to it.
All external devices are connected via HDMI or AV inputs. Therefore, a USB port on the TV is not required. Additionally, TV set-top boxes can be used to watch digital and interactive television.
You can connect an external or optical hard drive to the TV. The easiest way to do this is via the USB interface, but if the screen is not equipped with ports, then use a special TV set-top box to connect. Additionally, make sure the TV supports the format of the media files loaded on the HDD.
Bookmark the Lumpics.ru website and we will still be useful to you.
Thank the author, share the article on social networks.
Share the article on social networks :. Adapter
If you want to connect a SATA hard drive to the TV, use a special adapter. Then the HDD can be connected via the USB connector. Features:
- If you plan to connect an HDD with a volume of more than 2 TB, then you must use an adapter with the possibility of additional power supply (via USB or using a separate power cord).
- After the HDD is installed in a special adapter, it can be connected to the TV via USB.
If the device is not recognized, then most likely it needs to be formatted first.
Using an adapter can significantly degrade the signal quality. In addition, it can cause complications in audio playback. Then you need to additionally connect the speakers.
Did this article help you?
How to connect a hard drive to a TV
The hard drive can be used to store media content and other important information. over, its capacity is much higher than that of other removable media. You can connect an external or stationary hard disk drive to the TV in several ways.
We connect the hard drive to the TV
Many modern TVs are equipped with USB ports and other connectors for connecting hard drives, Flash drives, game consoles and other devices. This turns the screen into not just a Lenovo evening TV viewer, but a real media center.
All modern TVs are equipped with HDMI or USB connectors. Therefore, the easiest way is to connect the hard drive to the screen using a USB cable. The method is relevant only for external railways. Procedure:
- Connect the USB cable to the hard disk drive. To do this, use the standard cord that comes with the device.
Connect the hard to your TV. Typically the USB connector is located on the back or side of the screen.
Some TV models only play certain file formats. Therefore, even after connecting the hard drive to the TV, some movies and music tracks may not be displayed.
articles on this topic:
Good afternoon. I have an external memory unit for 2TV (with movies). I connect it to a laptop and a large TV without any problems, but in the country with a TV with a diagonal of 22 ″ does not work, although it has 2 USB outputs and 3 HDMI. On the Internet I read that I need additional power for the hard drive.
Could you help me in this matter?
Vladimir, hello. In the article, at the beginning of the second method, it is also said that additional power may be required for drives of this size (an external drive must have a corresponding connector). Why is it not needed in all cases? Most likely, your 22-inch TV is USB 2.0, and your laptop and large TV are USB 3.0. If the external drive is 3.0, then the “small” TV does not see it, not only because of the large volume, but also for this reason. There is no way without additional power.
P.S. The problem of connecting an external HDD (storage, hard drive, hard drive) to the TV. solved!!
I must correct my previous statement about replacing MBR with GPT or vice versa. the problem is deeper.
The GPT tabular standard is required for the TV to read drives over 2.2 TV (the limit for MBR), while the computer reads without restrictions. And increases the life of the HDD.
The Seagate STEL8000200 (8 TB) HDD that works for me with a PANASONIC TX-49DXR600 TV has the following parameters: GPT, NTFS, a cluster of 8 512-byte sectors, has a partition (logical disk) MSR (Microsoft System Reserved) 128 MB.
The MSR section on the drive does not matter, and is used, most likely, for alignment (offset of 1024 KB) and as a buffer memory for the controller. It is created by the DiskPart application found in Windows.
The parameters mean that this drive has the old magnetic track markup. 512 bytes (sector size is not physically changeable), and most modern drives (since 2010) are manufactured in the new Advanced Format. a new sector markup format, 4096 bytes each (4 KB ).
Thus, we can state that the problem of most unreadable drives in the sector size of 512 or 4096 bytes.
Unfortunately, this technical parameter is not indicated by the manufacturers. You can define it like this: on the computer, hover the cursor over your external HDD, press the right mouse button and select “format”. in the formatting parameters when choosing the cluster size, the minimum is indicated, this will be the sector size (512 or 4096 bytes).
Therefore, ask the seller to indicate the size of the HDD sector.
In my case, you can use disks with 4096 byte sectors (I have two) in the format with the FAT32 file system, which limits the file size to 4 GB. For low-definition films, it will do. To reduce the size of the.file, I recommend the free program Avidemux 2.6, which allows you to reduce the size and quality of the “stream” and divide the file into parts, in addition, copy from one container to another (for example, from.avi to.mkv) without loss of quality and convert one or an audio codec to another, since not all containers and codecs are read by TVs (Software problem).
The problem that the TV reads the NTFS file system with a 512 byte sector markup, and does not read NTFS with 4096 bytes, is the incomplete USB controller driver installed in the TV software.
If both markup cannot be read, format it to the FAT32 file system, it is supported by flash drives. Sometimes the driver does not support GPT, then replace with MBR.
To format to the FAT32 file system, you need to use the Paragon Hard Disk Manager program or SIMilar. There are limitations with Windows for FAT32.
Request from the TV manufacturer for driver updates (for USB controller) with support for NTFS format HDDs with 512 and 4096 bytes sector markup.
The problem of unreadability, in my opinion, is that the TV manufacturer “hacked” (legitimately) a typical (standard) USB controller driver to embed its own autonomous file system generation module into it (a caveat for the above. for recording TVs) for anti-piracy purposes. With this embedding, the “useful” module for supporting the necessary standards was removed. in my case NTFS with a “long” (4096 bytes) sector.
It was lazy for them to competently compile without loss.
The dareglobal ip-tv jpiter-t5-pm set-top box with a 1000GB HDD is the property of the beeline, a hard drive was ripped out of it and sold to the teapot as a full one in a working condition for 1500 rubles. Question: can this set-top box be made working without an HDD or. what? Thank you for your attention, sincerely vova.kalishin @
Can you describe (or send a screenshot) the phased removal of the top of the dareglobal jpiter-t5-pm TV box? thanks.
Hello. Tell me how you can connect a 3TB hard drive to your TV. Is this possible in principle, or is it better to change to a smaller volume?
Hello, Alexander. Here it already depends on the TV, because each of them has different restrictions on connecting external hard drives. If the device is not more than a few years old, use the exFAT or NTFS file system so that the TV can operate normally with this amount of information. If you are using FAT16 or FAT32, then you definitely need to look at the specification here, since some models support a maximum of 2GB.
Whether or not the connection is made depends on the anti-piracy restrictions on the TV.
I ran into this. But there are “vents” through which you can crawl through (not yet closed. with the TV OS updates).
As a rule, anti-piracy barriers do not apply to flash drives, they are equipped with FAT32 (which limits the file size to 4 GB). And you can put the FAT32 file system on the HDD. Restrictions on the size of the HDD, you can bypass the “partition” of the volume into logical drives within the limit set by the TV.
But it’s better to set these limits yourself.
I am faced with anti-piracy limitation of HDD usage in sector size. On my PANASONIC TX-49DXR600 there is a barrier to using the NTFS file system with a “long” sector (Advanced Format. a new format for marking sectors, 4096 bytes). And the “short” (512 bytes) sector can be used.
The “sector” size is not physically changeable technical parameter, the cluster size is limited by the “sector” size. Determine the size of the sector as follows: on the computer, hover the cursor over your external HDD, press the right mouse button and select “format”. in the formatting parameters when choosing the cluster size, the minimum is indicated, this will be the sector size (512 or 4096 bytes).
Connection via third-party devices
In some situations, it is impossible to connect via the USB connector of the TV. it is broken, or all ports are occupied. In such a situation, you can use other devices: PC, game console, DVD player, Smart set-top box or receiver.
The optimal connection with the TV is selected depending on the type of device. Ideally, this is HDMI, but you can stop at tulips. The TV must indicate the correct signal source. The drive is connected to the selected device via a USB connector. files are managed through this device.
Can any HDD be connected to TV
Today there are two types of such drives.
External. This is a stand-alone device that does not require additional power, it will receive energy during operation from the TV. They already include a USB cable through which the drive is connected to the TV.
Connection via adapter
If you connect an internal hard drive with a SATA connector to the TV, you will need a special adapter: SATA-USB. It can be made SIMply as a cable or as an external enclosure. The second option is preferable, since the internal drive becomes external. it is convenient to carry and store with an external box.
SATA-USB adapter in the form of a box
Features of connecting an external HDD.
- To connect an external HDD with a capacity of more than 2 TB, use a cable with additional power (2 USB plugs) or a box with external power (USB cable power supply).
- Regardless of the connection option used (cable with adapter or case), further actions are SIMilar to how an external HDD is connected: the cable is inserted into the USB TV connector.
- TV will automatically detect the connected device and notify from this, or you will need to indicate the signal source with a button on the remote.
- Since an external hard drive is often connected to the TV after using it in a PC, the device may not immediately recognize it. In this situation, it is worth formatting it, but all data will be deleted. they should first be saved.
Connecting an external hard drive to TV
Many modern TV models allow the connection of external portable storage devices, so users are increasingly wondering how to connect a hard drive to a TV. It would seem that it is quite SIMple to do this: connect the drive with information to the TV via a standard USB cable. But using this type of connection, the information available on the HDD is not always correctly reproduced on the TV screen. Consider alternative connection options.
Any modern TV has numerous connectors in its arsenal, including USB. The easiest way to connect an HDD is to use a USB cable. This is the universal method for any external storage device.
- The cable supplied with the drive is inserted into the corresponding connector on the drive.
- Find a USB connector on the back of the TV. They can be different types depending on the model, so it is better to use USB 3.0. It is indicated by the corresponding inscription and has a blue “tongue” inside.
- As a rule, after connecting, a notification about a new device will appear on the screen with a proposal to switch to it. If this did not happen, then using the remote control you need to select the signal source. USB connector.
- After selecting the signal source, the root folder of the drive will open, it remains only to find the desired file using the remote control and run it for viewing.
Benefits of connecting a hard drive to a TV
Modern TVs more and more often act as multimedia centers, which, as a rule, is associated with the storage of large amounts of information. It can be not only films and programs, but also games and other media content. If you do not use an external storage for your TV, then below are 3 reasons to buy one.
- You don’t need to store a lot of boxes of DVDs. All digital information can be recorded and stored on an external storage device. At any time, viewing it is available on the large TV screen.
- A hard drive for a TV is an irreplaceable thing when recording from terrestrial channels. The TV’s built-in memory is often not enough to store a large amount of information, and the size of a USB flash drive, which can also be connected to a TV, is not always enough. Modern HDDs have great capabilities in relation to the size of available memory.
- In some cases, an external hard drive is the only way to view media content on a big screen. Not all devices have a suitable connector for an HDMI cable, and it is not always available, while a USB cable comes with a portable storage device of this type.
What to do if the TV does not see the external HDD
The switching of two devices is not always successful. In the case when the drive is hooked up to the TV, but the synchronization window does not appear on the screen, or when you try to open it, a message appears that there are no connected devices, you should take such actions.
- Use an optional USB plug (usually red), if available. The appliance may not have enough power.
- Check if the drive is connected correctly.
- Check equipment performance. In this case, you can connect an external hard drive to the computer, and insert any other device with the information contained on it (flash drive, smartphone, tablet) into the USB connector on the TV.
- Format the HDD in FAT32 or NTFS systems (in this case, all information contained on it will be deleted).
It doesn’t matter what device connects to the TV, external hard drive or internal, the cable connection diagram, synchronization and opening are the same. Watching your favorite movies stored on the HDD will be more enjoyable with good sound. To implement this nuance, you can connect various speaker systems to the TV. So, you can choose a soundbar, connect a home theater or even SIMple speakers from a music center. It all depends on your budget and how high-quality sound you need.
When you may need it
- Why store a huge number of movie discs, which probably take up a lot of space or even a separate cabinet? It’s easier to keep them on a small storage device that can be connected to a TV at any time. It is very convenient to record the movie you need in a few clicks or from the computer to the HDD, and then watch it on the big screen in excellent quality.
- Another reason is online broadcast recording. TV has a small amount of built-in memory, and often it is not enough to record a football match or favorite program, so you have to connect additional devices. The drive can accommodate a huge amount of files and will solve this problem once and for all.
- And the last, third reason. it is not always possible to connect a computer to a TV via an HDMI cable, and in this case, the HDD acts as the only way to view media files. That is, you can SIMply plug in a large hard drive instead of a cable and watch TV shows or movies pre-loaded onto it. It will help you out even in the most difficult situation.
Connecting a hard drive to a TV
Today, almost all modern TV models allow you to connect hard drives or flash drives using USB ports. Thanks to this, the TV has turned from a regular box into a multifunctional media device that can be used for a variety of purposes. Let’s figure out how to connect an external hard drive to a TV, and what features and benefits it can give us.
- When you may need it
- Connecting a portable hard drive
- How to connect a hard drive from a computer to a TV
- What to do if the hard drive does not connect
- A more detailed overview
- lesson: why TV does not see the hard drive and how to fix it
Connecting a portable hard drive
External hard drives are incredibly easy to use; they do not require any special knowledge and unnecessary gestures. They are SIMply connected to the TV via USB using a special cable. over, HDDs do not need a separate power source, since they receive the necessary energy from the device to which they are connected.
Any TV has several USB ports, which are usually located on the rear panel. To connect the drive, you need to find one of them with the signature “HDD IN”.
In the example, LG was taken, but if you have a TV of another brand, for example Rolsen, Philips, LG. Sony or Samsung, the connection diagram will be SIMilar.
It is through him that the hard drive is connected to TV. Just connect the cable, after which you will see a message on the screen stating that the hard drive was successfully connected and ready to work. After that, select the hard drive using the remote control and open the required file.
But if you connect the media to an old Samsung TV with USB 2.0 support, then it will work using 2.0 technology, even though your hardware supports more modern technology. Therefore, consider this factor when choosing and buying a drive.
How to connect a hard drive from a computer to a TV
Initially, the SATA interface was created exclusively for internal use in system units and laptops, and is completely unsuitable for external use.
Despite this, today there are a number of special adapters for the USB connector, using which you can connect a regular internal hard drive of a computer to a TV.
As for hard drives with a volume of more than 2 TB, then when using them, think about a separate power source. When buying an adapter, pay attention to whether it supports the ability to recharge the drive by connecting the cord to an outlet or via another USB connector.
What to do if the hard drive does not connect
The main reasons here may be:
- Damage to the USB cable;
- Damage or contamination of the USB input on the TV;
- The presence of bad sectors and other errors on the HDD itself;
In the first case, to solve the problem, it is enough to replace the cable.
In the other two cases, diagnostics and professional repair at the service center are required.
Now you know that any hard drive can be used with TV. And if someone asks if it is possible to connect a removable hard drive to the TV, you will confidently answer “YES!”, And you can do it yourself.