With WPS One Foot connection
To ensure a simple connection of the TV to a WI – FI router, you can use the One Foot connection function. The service is developed by Samsung, and works only between devices of this brand. However, this method has a drawback. the router unit must be located at a distance of up to 25 cm from the TV device. To connect, you need:
- go to the “Network Settings” menu;
- select “One Foot connection”;
- the connection will occur automatically;
- after completing the connection, you can use the capabilities of the “smart” TV.
How to connect and configure WI – FI on TV
Let’s figure out how to connect a TV to WI – FI. The connection for all models of different brands is almost the same. To connect, you need to do:
- press the “Settings” button;
- then click “Network” and “Network Settings”;
- then select the “Network Connection” tab, in which indicate the type of network “Wireless”;
- then you will need to enter your network password, if any;
- if necessary, you will need to enter IP and DNS, but these values are usually set automatically;
- if you need to enter manually, then the values can be obtained from the provider;
- if everything went well, a message will appear on the screen that the connection was successful.
With WI-FI adapter
An excellent way to solve the problem of the lack of a built-in WI-FI-module is to purchase an adapter. Now in a wide range there are various devices that will turn a simple TV into Smart with all possible functions. However, you should be aware that not every adapter will fit your TV. This can happen due to the lack of necessary drivers in the TV panel software. Usually, the instructions for the TV set indicate what type of device can be additionally connected to it. The models of popular manufacturers do not have the ability to connect to standard WI – FI adapters via USB, but only to branded models of their brand.
How do I attach an adapter? Just insert it into the USB connector on the TV-panel case if it works through this connector. If USB is not provided, then use another port or adapter.
How to use Wi-Fi on TV? For this you need:
- insert the adapter into the TV panel case;
- turn on the TV-device and press “Menu”, then “Network” and “Network Settings”;
- select “Wireless type” and tune in to your home network by entering your username and password.
5 ways to connect your TV to Wi – Fi
It’s hard to imagine a family that doesn’t use the Internet. And if you can surf not on a small monitor or phone screen, but on a plasma with a large diagonal? Delight and convenience increase many times over. Owners of “smart” TVs automatically become owners of a huge smartphone and entertainment center in one device. All they have to do is find out how to connect the TV to Wi-Fi. Well, those who have a simple TV panel also do not need to despair, because there are various adapters and set-top boxes that can make life much easier.
Using Plug Access
Another simple and affordable technology for setting up Wi-Fi on a TV is Plug Access. The literal translation means “Enable access”. You will need a blank USB flash drive, which must first be inserted into the router, and then into the TV set. However, there are also limitations: the router must support Plug Access technology. Only in this case, the settings necessary for the TV receiver will be installed on the USB flash drive.
How to find out if the TV has WI-FI
The first question that should worry every owner of a TV panel is whether his model supports Wi-Fi, and whether it is possible to connect to it if necessary. Almost all modern models are already supplied with a built-in receiver, but there are also those that have the Smart function, but are sold without a built-in module. In this case, all functions related to Smart are useless. To find out if it is possible to connect and how to set up WI-FI on the TV, you need to do the following:
- refer to the accompanying documentation;
- ask the seller;
- find out via the Internet by model number;
- check connectivity in settings.
Using a wired connection
Today, a wired connection is considered one of the most stable and allows you to transfer high-quality images in high resolution. For this you need:
- Insert the cable into the router with one end and into the TV with the other. Configuration is done via LAN ports.
- Go to the “Network” menu, then “Wired Ethernet connection”.
- Check if the message “Connected to the Internet” is below this inscription.
- If there is no such inscription, then set the receipt of network settings “Automatic”.
- It is advisable to update the TV-panel firmware after setting up the Internet via Wi-Fi.
Using a laptop or PC
In fact, this method allows you to run videos on a laptop via WI – FI and broadcast them on a TV panel. Therefore, you need to connect the TV not to Wi-Fi, but to a computer, wired or wirelessly. The wired method is to connect the two devices with an HDMI cable.
Wireless connection is carried out using a home DLNA server:
- in the properties of the directory there is a tab “Access”, go to it;
- click “Advanced setting”;
- mark the item “Open public access” and click “OK”.
You can also synchronize a laptop and a TV panel using the explorer:
- Click on the menu item “Network”.
- A window with the message “Network discovery” will be displayed, you need to click on it.
- To make the setting correctly, follow the recommendations of the assistant.
- Check the availability of external connections on the TV panel. To do this, turn on the TV device and select a laptop from the proposed signal sources.
- After you managed to activate DLNA and synchronize the two devices, right-click on the file and select “Play to” from the menu and then select the TV receiver model.
Various applications are popular for connecting a laptop to a TV:
- Share Manager;
Miracast technology is the most popular because it allows you to connect a TV screen as a large monitor. Intel stopped supporting WIDI technology and completely redirected efforts to develop Miracast.
To connect a TV in Windows 10 via Miracast, you must:
- Press the WinP buttons at the same time.
- A window will pop up where you can select “Connect to a wireless display”. If the window is not highlighted, then the laptop does not support this function.
- Searching for wireless devices started.
- Enable Miracast function on TV panel. To do this, in the menu for selecting the signal source, press the item “Screen Mirroring” (in Samsung). In Philips, press successively “Settings”, “Network Settings”, “WI-FI Miracast”.
If your TV panel does not support Miracast technology, then buy a Mirascreen adapter. It is connected via an HDMI port.
When configuring the router, the system asks for a password
This is a common procedure for some SmartTV operating systems. Usually the value is the same as the password from the router or PIN-code.
Connecting via a wireless network
If the user does not want cables around the perimeter of the walls of his house, then you can connect the router to the TV via a wireless connection. This connection option is similar to a similar connection to the network of a mobile phone or computer.
If the possibility of receiving a Wi-Fi signal on the TV is not provided, then a special USB adapter can solve this problem.
Consider a way to connect a TV to a Wi-Fi network using the example of a Samsung model:
- Turn on the TV.
- Go to the “Settings” menu.
- Select the subsection “Network”.
- Then open the item “Network Settings”.
- We select the option “Wireless”.
- In the opened window of available networks, we find the one of interest.
- Enter the password to enter, if there is one.
- We are waiting for the connection to the network.
In addition to these settings, some models require you to re-enter the IP address of the device.
How to properly connect a router to a TV
The functionality of a modern TV has long gone beyond a simple broadcast of a television signal. The device is transformed from a “monitor” into a multifunctional center with various possibilities. However, for some of them, access to the network is required, so the question often arises of how to connect the router to the TV.
Possible connection problems
Although connecting a router is not such a difficult process as it might seem, users often encounter a number of problems when connecting these devices. Therefore, you should disassemble a number of repetitive errors that occur when connecting the router and TV:
Scheme of connecting the Internet to a TV set-top box:
- Connect ethernet cable to WAN router connector.
- Connect the router to a TV set-top box via a LAN wire.
- Connect set-top box to TV via HDMI cable.
After connecting, you can immediately use all Internet functionality.
The method for connecting the router to a TV is the same process as for connecting the device to a personal computer. The first step is to connect your internet connection to your Wi-Fi router. To do this, you should:
- Connect the router to power supply.
- Press the POWER key on the device case.
- Connect ethernet cable to WAN connector.
If this is the first connection of the router, then the user needs to configure the device for data transmission. Let’s consider this process using the example of a TP-Link router:
- Open any internet browser.
- Print in the address bar of the program “data for the default login”, for example, http://192.168.0.1.
- Enter the “Username” and “Password” of the router. By default, for all routers, both values are “admin” or this information is located on the back of the router.
- Select the section “Quick setup”.
- Follow the instructions of the installation wizard.
After that, you can connect the router directly to the TV:
- Insert the LAN cable into the LAN port of the router.
- Connect the wire to the RJ45 connector in the TV.
At the end of the connection, you must configure the TV settings to receive the signal.
If the user connects the router to the TV for the first time, then it is necessary to configure the connection in the TV settings. In this article, the instructions provided are settings for Samsung TVs, however, other TV models can be configured in the same way.
To activate the connection to the router via a cable, follow the sequence of steps:
- Turn on the TV.
- Go to the “Settings” menu.
- Select the subsection “Network”.
- Then open the item “Network Settings”.
If the connection was made correctly, the device will report an active LAN cable. The user only needs to click “OK” and use the Internet connection.
Which router is right for the TV
There is a misconception that a specialized router is needed to connect to a TV, but this is not the case, and people spreading this opinion simply confuse a router with a TV set-top box.
In fact, any Wi-Fi router will work to connect to a TV. The TV connects to the wireless signal just like any other device. Therefore, if the user already has a Wi-Fi router, then there is no need to buy another device. It is enough just to connect the TV to the already installed equipment.
Despite this, there is one limitation. The fact is that the more devices are connected to the router, the stronger the load on the device. This directly affects the data transfer rate that the router allows for all active devices.
Based on this, it is better to purchase more expensive router models that have increased signal transmission speed characteristics. And also use different types of connection to the router: wirelessly and using a LAN cable.
We connect the TV to the router independently
Digital television undoubtedly has a number of benefits. Any video here. without all sorts of interference and noise, from which in a regular TV. can not get rid of. Add to this the ability to view HD content. Many people still wonder how to turn on and configure a router for a TV in order to watch channels on it (and not on a computer). In fact, three different types of devices can receive IPTV channels: your computer, IPTV set-top box and TVs. Let’s look at the basic terminology in order to better understand what exactly we will configure.
About DLNA technology
Simply put, DLNA is a network protocol that replaces a video signal cable. “TV with wi-fi”. most likely a device with “DLNA”, but no more. The presence of DLNA should be perceived simply as another “video input” port (in addition to SCART, HDMI, and so on). Via DLNA channel, video is transmitted in one of the formats: Xvid or DivX. None of the well-known “in reality” routers can transcode video. That is, there is not much point in looking for a WI-FI router for a TV. Here, only “alternative” firmware can help (the “hardware” of the router must meet the requirements for speed and memory).
Why, then, is DLNA technology needed? DLNA standard, supported in all Windows OS (as well as MAC-OS-X). This means that the video played on a separate computer on the network can be viewed on a TV. In the role of “content”, in this case, there can be a file from a hard disk, or a digital TV channel.
Let’s make Wi-Fi connections
Let’s say you already have a computer that receives an IP-TV stream, and it can work wirelessly. In case you need to transmit a digital video stream over a “wireless” network, pay attention to the restrictions imposed by the router.
The list of routers “suitable” for this purpose is no longer available here =. In the router itself, to enable “multicast”, you need to check one box:
In English. “multicast” or “IGMP”, in Russian. “multicast routing”. Naturally, the router must distribute DHCP addresses, the wi-fi network must be enabled and the connection with the provider must be configured.
Known problem: as soon as the “multicast” traffic starts to be transmitted via wi-fi, almost immediately the entire network “stops” (the connection speed is reduced to kilobytes / s).
From theory to practice. connection
If you have chosen the “hardware” connection method, that is, Ethernet cable, you need to remember the following. All connections with a signal cable (on-off) are made with the power off. This applies to the power supply of the router and TV.
Also, we will mention the type of “crimping” of the network cable. In total, there are two types of unsoldering the power cord: “straight” and “cross”. To connect computers to a hub (switch), only “direct” is used.
Connecting an Internet TV with Wireless
Although, the above may not be relevant (today, most devices are endowed with the function of “auto-detection” of the cable). Connecting the router to the TV, however, is always best done with a “straight” cable.
How To connect up a SMART TV to the INTERNET (Best Options)
Note regarding “STB”. options
In general, not all providers allow using hubs in home networks. Usually, it is bound to a hardware address (MAC). Warn your ISP to change your MAC address.
It is interesting that connecting a TV through a router in the case of binding to a MAC. it is possible, however, only one of the devices can work at the same time: either the TV, or the rest of the network.
Do not despair even in this case: perhaps the TV has a wi-fi module, then it connects to the router like a “regular” computer.
Theory. connecting a TV to a router
Broadcasting digital TV, produced using “multicast”. This is a special form of packets, transmitted like this: each packet is directed to multiple destinations. In most routers, there is a function: “multicast”. allow. This is usually enough to watch IP-TV through a computer. However. not through the prefix.
In fact, to know how to connect a router to a TV (this does not apply to “Smart TV”), you only need to remember one word: STB. This is an abbreviation for the word “IP-TV Set Top Box”, that is, a set-top box (and TV) for receiving TV. In the web-interface of routers, this option is denoted in the same way, “STB”.
This is how this option is implemented in ASUS router (WL-500GP models). The user must choose the hardware port to which he will connect the IPTV set-top box (referred to in one word. “STB”).
of this chapter, we will briefly discuss what exactly this option implements (how it works). Let’s say a router is not, and you connected your TV receiver to the provider’s cable. Everything is clear here (it will work). If the same cable is connected to the set-top box not directly, but through a hub (switch). too, it should work.
It is this mode (virtual “hub”) that is implemented by the “STB” option in the router. You don’t need to change anything else in the settings (if the TV was configured to connect to the provider). It will be enough to turn on “STB”.