If there is no Smart TV function
If your TV is not equipped with Smart TV technology, you can still get all its functions with a dedicated set-top box. Its cost is significantly lower than that of a new TV, and the capabilities are the same. The device is quite compact and connects to TV via USB port.
The set-top box will connect to the router via Wi-Fi and broadcast the signal to the TV. Smart TV adapters work correctly on most models, regardless of the manufacturer and year of manufacture.
How to check if the TV supports Wi-Fi?
Most modern TVs offer network connectivity. Thanks to this, you can watch your favorite movies, TV shows on the big screen with the whole family, use many of the browser functions on the device and play games.
But some devices are not equipped with this function. There are several ways to find out if there is Wi-Fi support:
- find the characteristics of your TV on the internet. It always indicates whether it is possible to connect to Wi-Fi;
- refer to the operating instructions for the device. It will display information about the availability of Wi-Fi;
- go to the settings menu of the TV itself. There find the item “Network and Internet” and click on it. If the settings have Wi-Fi, then the device assumes a network connection.
It is recommended to check in advance if the TV has Wi-Fi. Ask a sales assistant if this is an important criterion for you when choosing a TV.
Connection methods will differ depending on the features of your TV. Below you can see the main ones.
10 ways to connect your TV to Wi-Fi
The ability to connect a TV to Wi-Fi is one of the decisive criteria when choosing a device. But if everything is clear with the purchase, then at the stage of settings, users start having problems. In this article, you will learn how to connect TV to Wi-Fi, and you can also see step-by-step instructions for different models.
Connecting using a router as an adapter
Many modern models of routers can operate in adapter mode. To connect your TV to Wi-Fi in this way, you need:
- In the settings of the router, select work in “adapter mode”. The router will receive the signal and transmit it to TV.
- Next, connect the TV and router using a wire.
- A window will appear on the screen in which you need to specify the type of connection. Select “Wired” from the list.
For the connection to work correctly, the device must be equipped with a built-in module.
A popular method in the absence of a router. If you have a laptop and the Internet is connected to it via a network cable, then you can distribute Wi-Fi to different devices (including a TV).
There are a few important points to consider before setting up:
- the laptop must have a Wi-Fi adapter;
- you need to install a special driver for the Wi-Fi adapter on the device. over, it should provide support for Virtual Wi-Fi;
- the internet must be connected to the laptop.
All commands need to be configured through the command line, to run it, you need:
- Go to “Start”.
- Select “All Programs”.
- Then go to “Standard”.
- And among the list, select “Command line”. It is recommended to run it as administrator.
The command line is open. Now you can start configuring:
Copy the following command into the opened address bar:
Done, now turn on Wi-Fi on your TV. After that, you will see an access point with the name specified in the first command. Click on it and enter the password. It remains to enable Internet Sharing. For this:
- Right-click on the internet icon in the lower right corner.
- Select “Network and Sharing Center”.
- Find the section “Change adapter settings” and go to it.
- Right-click on the adapter through which the Internet is connected to the laptop. If you have a regular Internet via a network cable, you need to click on “Local Area Connection” and select “Properties”.
- Open the “Access” tab and check the box in the first window. Next, in the drop-down menu, select “Wireless Network Connection 3” (you can have any other number).
- Confirm the changes with the “Ok” key.
Laptop now shares Wi-Fi with other devices.
If there is no Wi-Fi module
Some TV models do not include a Wi-Fi module. In this case, it happens using a cable or Wi-Fi adapter.
Using the adapter is more practical, since few people will like the extra wires. The device connects to the TV and connects to the router.
Connecting the TV to a hidden network
If your hotspot is hidden, your TV’s Wi-Fi connection setup will be slightly different. Go to settings and select “Configure Hidden Wi-Fi Network”. Next, you need to manually enter the network name (SSID). Then select the type of security and enter the password for Wi-Fi.
The connection takes place practically according to the same aLGorithm of actions as for Sony TVs, since they have the same OS. How to connect TV to Wi-Fi:
- Go to device settings.
- Go to the “Installation” section.
- Select “Connect to Network”.
- Click on the connection type “Wireless”.
- Two connection options will appear: via WPS and regular. Choose the right one.
- If you chose a regular connection, click on the “Scan” button.
- A list of available networks will appear on the screen.
- Select the desired one, confirm and enter the password.
If everything is done correctly, a message will appear on the screen stating that the connection was successful.
Through a router
If you decide that you need an intermediary in the form of a router, do the following:
Using a special cord, you need to connect the router to the TV
Everything is SIMpler here: we immediately connect the provider’s cable to the LAN port on the TV. The cable can go directly from the entrance or from the street, from the splitter (if it is a telephone ADSL connection. the splitter disconnects the signals for the phone and the Internet) or from the modem (it is configured by the provider’s specialists when connecting).
Diagrams for connecting a TV by cable
We will show and tell you how to connect a TV to a router or SIMply to an Internet provider’s cable.
How to find the MAC address of your TV
Direct connection may not work for you if your ISP uses MAC address binding. The provider has a MAC device (its physical number) to which the Internet was previously connected (your router, PC). Now you have decided to change the device, so the provider needs to inform the new MAC of your TV, so that the company now supplies the Internet to this device too.
How do I find the MAC address of my TV? This unique code is, of course, in the TV documentation. Or you can see the address on the screen of the device itself. If you have Samsung, go to the “Support” section, under “Product Information” there will be “Model Code”. This is the MAC of your TV.
You can find out the model code through the “Support” block
How to set static IP and DNS on TV
If you connect to the Internet directly and use the “Static IP” protocol, after the basic TV setup (which was described in the previous section), you need to register the data from the contract in the TV settings: IP address, DNS addresses. Where to write them:
- After the basic setup of the wired connection, go to the “Connection Status” section.
- Next, click on the IP Settings / Settings.
Go to IP settings
Enter all the data from the contract
Pros and cons of this connection method
What good can be in a cable Internet connection in general? Why this bunch of wires if you can use “Wi-Fi”? Yes, you can, but firstly, not all TVs have built-in Wi-Fi modules. If you are an adherent of wireless connection, but the TV module does not have, you will have to buy it separately.
If you need to use the Internet not only on TV, but also on a PC and phone, connect the TV to the Internet using a cable through a router
Secondly, data is transmitted over the wire much faster than over Wai-Fay. Almost all routers cut the speed. Plus, they have to distribute a signal to several devices at once. the signal and speed are shared between members of the local network.
Thirdly, the cable connection is more stable than the wired one. Data transmission failures will occur less frequently.
Network cable can be connected directly to PC
The disadvantage of the method, of course, is the number of wires. They do not always fit into the interior. Plus, it’s inconvenient. If the router and TV are far from each other, even more so. You will have to either buy a long cord, or rearrange the router closer to TV.
If you do not have a router and do not want to use it, but you have a provider’s cable, you can insert the cable directly into the TV. You don’t have to buy a router. If the TV is not equipped with a Wi-Fi module, direct cable connection will be the only budget option.
How to set up a TV with “Dynamic IP”
If you have the “Dynamic IP” protocol, the Internet on the TV will be configured automatically after connecting the cable. This will be indicated by a message on the screen “Connected to a wired network”. If the message does not appear and the Internet does not work, proceed to manual debugging (for example, Samsung Smart TV):
- Go to the device menu. Select the “Network” block.
- Open the item with network settings.
- For the “Type of network” parameter, specify the cable connection.
Select “Cable” from the menu
Click on “Connect” to establish a connection
For TVs from other manufacturers, the setup principle is the same, but there will be a different interface. Some sections may have the same name. Most importantly, find the block with the network or network connection settings (usually marked with a globe). In LG, for example, you must first click on “Set up a connection”, then on “Set up manually”. Then select a wired connection.
Click on the pink button “Set up a connection”
Internet on TV: how to connect using a cable
Modern TVs with Smart TVs can be connected to the Internet. Various sites, applications, viewing and listening to content online become available to you from the TV screen. In order for the TV to have access to the network, you can SIMply go to the Wi-Fi home access point, or you can use a wired connection. through the router itself or direct connection (Internet cable directly to the TV).
Setting up TV with a wired connection directly or through a router
After the physical connection, you need to configure the TV to receive an Internet signal.
What is Wi-Fi technology:
Before proceeding directly to the instructions, it is worth understanding what Smart TV is and how the technology itself works. This will allow you to understand what is needed to connect a computer and a TV.
It should be noted that the manufacturer has provided some built-in programs, such as:
- Various movie sites.
- Websites with music.
- Built-in browser.
- Program for connecting a TV to a computer.
All this opens up new possibilities. Connecting to the Internet can be done both via cable and over the air. via Wi-Fi connection. This article will focus on the second type. So, here we come to the topic of how to connect a computer or laptop to a TV via Wi-Fi.
How to connect PC and Smart TV without a router
As you already know, you can create a home network without a router, using your laptop as an access point. This can be done in several ways:
- By creating a connection in the PC control console.
- Using the command line.
- Using third party software such as Virtual Router Plus.
It should be noted that the built-in Windows tools are more reliable and stable. over, you do not need to search for programs and install them on your PC, clogging up the registry. over, the second method is the easiest to configure and implement. It is about him that we will talk.
So, we run the command line with administrator rights. In Windows 8, you can do this using the WinX key combination. In the menu that appears, select the “Command line (administrator)” item. In the seven, SIMultaneously press the WinR keys, in the window that appears, write CMD and press “Enter”.
Now we register the following command. netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode = allow ssid = My_virtual_Wi-Fi key = 12345678 keyUsage = persistent. Press “Enter”. This completes the creation of the network. Now you need to start it. To do this, write netsh wlan start hostednetwork on the command line. It is worth noting that the creation of a virtual network is done once, but after each reboot or disconnection of the Wi-Fi module, you will have to write a command to start the network (netsh wlan start hostednetwork).
TV and TV connection through a router
Connecting a PC to a TV via a wireless Wi-Fi router is extremely SIMple. To do this, connect your laptop to your router. After that, turn on the TV and enter the settings menu. Here you need to enable the wireless network (carefully read the instructions on how to do this directly on your model). After you are connected to the network, go to the laptop settings.
Now both devices are on the same network, but in order to play content from a computer to TV, we need a special program. There are many such applications and, fortunately, they are completely free. Their list includes:
- Home media server.
- Samsung Share.
- Share manager.
There are others, but these are the most common programs. So, we install one of them on the laptop and open it. Then everything is SIMple. In the settings, you must assign a device that will play the content. Here we select our TV.
Also in the program you will need to specify the connection method and the image format that TV supports and folders containing the necessary files. To do this, go into the settings and select the item “Media resources”. To add a new directory, click the green plus button. Then just select the folder that contains the information you need.
It is worth noting that the programs have an extremely SIMple and intuitive interface, so that connecting a computer to a TV via wireless Wi-Fi should not be difficult. The TV is controlled directly from the computer from the installed program.
How to connect a computer to a TV via a Wi-Fi wireless network
In this article, we will show you how to connect your computer to your TV via Wi-Fi. The fact is that this kind of TV is quite widespread. But Smart TV technology is quite new and not everyone had time to study it and understand how it works.
Connecting computer to TV via Wi-Fi
Given the fact that the TV is connected to a computer via a Wi-Fi network without any wires, it should be understood that we need an access point. What it is? As a rule, for private purposes, budget wireless routers are used, which have a low cost, but at the same time allow you to easily and quickly organize a home network.
It is equipped with the same Wi-Fi adapter as the router. And this suggests that it can also be used as an access point. In this case, all devices will connect to your laptop. It should be noted that if it is connected to the Internet via a cable or USB modem, then all participants, including the TV, will have the opportunity to access the Internet.
How to create an access point using the command line:
Now all that remains is to connect the TV to the PC. To do this, follow all the steps that you did in the case of the router. The TV is controlled from a computer via Wi-Fi using the same programs. There are many applications that allow you to control your TV from your smartphone and tablet. In this case, the phone is used as a control panel. The principle of connecting to other devices is somewhat different. To find out how to connect a laptop to a TV, follow the link.
I work as a private computer foreman. I have been professionally engaged in computer repair for over 12 years, as an amateur since the 90s.
For two years he worked as the head of a service center specializing in connecting subscribers to the Internet and computer help.
How to connect a smartphone to a laptop via Wi-Fi?
Obviously, the owner of the smartphone must already have configured access to the World Wide Web through the network of the cellular operator, otherwise nothing will work.
You must perform the following sequential steps:
- Activate the reception and transmission of data over the Internet in the smartphone (swipe down from the top of the screen to lower the menu curtain and click on the “Mobile data” icon);
- Then enter the “Settings” and open the “Connections” section, where click on the line “Other networks”;
- Then, in the menu that appears, click on “Modem and access point”;
- After that, go to the “Portable Access Point” tab;
- In the next menu, click on “Settings” (at the bottom of the screen);
- After that, enter the “Settings” in the laptop and activate its Wi-Fi adapter by setting the switch to the “On” position;
- In the displayed list of networks, find and click on the wireless network created by the smartphone and (the network name and access code to it will appear on the phone display immediately after completing the 5th paragraph of this instruction);
- Done. Now the computer connected to the phone already has access to the Internet;
- The next time when you need to access the global network from a laptop via a smartphone, the user will no longer need to follow the above points of the manual and enter a login with a password, and the connection will be made automatically immediately after activating the “Access to Wi-Fi” function in the smartphone;
- As you can see from the above figure, you will only need to lower the menu curtain and press the corresponding buttons: “Mobile data” and “Access to Wi-Fi”. Turn on the wireless adapter in the PC and it will connect to the mobile router automatically.
How to independently connect a laptop to the Internet via a smartphone
In cases where it is not possible to connect a laptop to a provider’s cable or to a fixed Wi-Fi network, there is a convenient way to access the Internet on a laptop via Wi-Fi distributed by a smartphone, since most modern smart mobile phones have a portable Wi-Fi access point function. The main thing is that the phone has support for 3G (4G) communication and is connected to the corresponding services of the mobile operator to provide access to the global network.
Below is a guide on how to connect a laptop to the Internet via a smartphone with a detailed description of the steps illustrated with screenshots of the screen of a mobile device and a PC. And also, if the user prefers a more reliable wired connection, then at the end of this article there is a brief instruction on how to connect a PC to the Internet via a phone using a USB cable.
How to connect a smartphone to a laptop via a USB cable?
To do this, you need a USB cable, which usually comes with your phone.
The following steps must be taken:
- Connect the mobile phone to the laptop using a cable by inserting the corresponding plugs from the wire into the USB port of the PC and into the mini USB connector of the phone;
- DisPlay of the mobile device will display a special menu for specifying the connection mode. The menu must be closed;
- Open the smartphone settings and go to the “Modem and access point” section;
- Check the box on the USB modem so that it is connected;
- As a result of completing the previous (4th) point in the laptop in automatic mode, the software will be installed for the new equipment found. In the displayed windows on the PC monitor, you only need to agree to the terms and conditions and put a tick in the menu that allows further connection with the modem;
- Done. The logo of the Internet connection will be displayed in the desktop tray of the laptop.
Note: in the case of an operating system running in a laptop that is no longer supported by Microsoft, for example, Windows XP or Vista, then the user will need to independently install the software by downloading it from the official resource of the equipment manufacturer.
TVs with Wi-Fi: how to set up and how to connect?
TVs with Wi-Fi and Smart TV function have long been a surprise. Since progress does not stand still, something new appears almost every day, and things that are already familiar to everyone are improved. This happened with the TV, which is experiencing a rebirth. New models are constantly emerging in which wireless technology works very well.
How TV works with Wi-Fi
With the well-known Wi-Fi technology, which allows you to connect to the Internet wirelessly through specialized equipment, the user will be able to keep up with the times and not get tangled up in wires. Televisions with wireless technology are deservedly one of the most popular options for such devices. Wi-Fi LED TV models fall into two categories available:
- the first category includes TVs with the ability to connect to Wi-Fi via a special USB port, which is designed for standard installation of a Wi-Fi adapter;
- the second includes a variant with a built-in Wi-Fi module. The configuration of such models is carried out through the main router of a standard modem. But they also have their drawbacks, the main of which is the too high price.
Of course, it’s worth remembering that the capabilities of a standard HDMI TV with Wi-Fi and Internet connection will be significantly more limited compared to a personal computer, but nonetheless:
- by connecting to a TV-headset with a microphone and a webcam, you can make calls in Skype;
- you can easily watch your favorite shows and movies directly on the TV without having to download and copy them to a USB flash drive in advance;
- you can also go to a specific list of sites, including social networks and special media services.
Available connection options
In fact, setting up and connecting a smart TV with Wi-Fi is not that difficult. just decide on the method that suits you. First, create a home group of Wi-Fi devices. Then the TV will need to be connected to it.
Let’s take a look at the two most common connection methods. a laptop used as a home access point or router. In order to avoid problems with the Internet during work, a laptop or a configured router must be connected to the Network in advance.
Tip: Regardless of the make and model of the TV, they all connect according to the same principle.
Compact TV 32 with Wi-Fi is endowed with the widest multimedia capabilities and is designed for viewing both digital and analog TV broadcasts. In its arsenal, the model has a tuner with support for analog SECAM, NTSC, PAL standards, as well as digital standards DVB-C, DVB-T / T2. The contents of external USB-drives can be played using the built-in media player, and the HDMI connector is able to turn the Philips 32PFT4132 into a monitor for third-party image sources. This is made possible by a 32-inch backlit LCD screen with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels.
TVs with Wi-Fi
With the advent of the Internet at home, and even with a good speed, the younger generation has moved to computers, laptops and tablets. And a few years ago, TVs appeared, first with a LAN connector, and later a Wi-Fi adapter (first external, as a function, and then built-in). At the same time, the developers added multimedia capabilities to TVs. the ability to connect to the Internet, integration into a home network, a built-in player and social network clients. Later, the entire package of software was brought to a relatively general form and received the name Smart TV.
In fact, the user now receives a computer system in flat-panel TV format. In addition, some manufacturers of LCD TVs with Wi-Fi use Android and Linux operating systems as their main Smart platform.
Using a router
To connect using this method, you need a TV with built-in Wi-Fi function, as well as a standard router that you are using:
- First, connect your device to the Internet and then set up your router.
- After turning on the TV and entering the settings menu, you need to configure the connection separately. find the “Network” option and select the type of wireless connection. The information is sent to the device automatically thanks to the DHCP option, which is equipped with every embedded router. That is, he is able to independently set the IP address of each device that is additionally connected to it.
- Then select the “Network Settings” item in the menu and, following the prompts on the screen, complete the connection process.
- Having performed all the manipulations with the settings, you can view the entire list of available Wi-Fi connections. You need to connect to one of them (it must be a router).
Thanks to the built-in WPS option in modern TVs and routers, setup is minimized. It allows you to connect the router to a TV and greatly SIMplifies the entire setup process for any user. TV in this case will start searching for all possible connections on its own and will establish a connection automatically.
The next level of TVs
The functionality of modern TVs is gaining more and more popularity among users for displaying on the screen and photos directly from various gadgets. And with Wi-Fi, you can easily turn your TV into a smartphone or tablet.
This article will discuss how to connect and set up your Wi-Fi TV to the Internet. If you have purchased a Smart TV TV, then, of course, you just need to connect it to the wireless Internet, although any SIMilar model can be connected using a network cable (via a router or directly from a provider). If you do not have the opportunity to lay a network cable or SIMply do not want to do this, then you can connect the TV via Wi-Fi to the router. To do this, the TV must have built-in Wi-Fi, or you must purchase a proprietary special receiver. It is connected via the USB connector of the TV. A SIMple one will not work, you need a branded one. Therefore, if you are just planning to buy a TV and are going to connect it to the Internet using wireless technology, then immediately purchase a model with built-in Wi-Fi. Be sure to carefully study the characteristics and better. on the official website.
32 ” TV with Wi-Fi
The entry-level compact TV has advanced connectivity. In addition to the affordable price, as a distinctive feature of this model, many note the wide functionality of the LG Smart TV platform, which has control over the latest webOS 3.5 operating system. It also includes a CI slot, media player, image scaling function and Time Shift. The 32-inch IPS screen serves fine display purposes and supports a resolution of 1920 x 1080. Ergonomics and design are determined by VESA 200 × 200 wall mount compatibility.
If you want to know about connecting a TV with USB and Wi-Fi to a wireless network, but you do not have a router for this purpose, there is another option. to connect via a laptop. To do this, you will need to carry out the procedure for creating a direct type of communication between a TV and a laptop. This is very important for those who plan to play any content downloaded to a computer on a TV screen. When the laptop has an additional Internet connection, it can be easily connected to the Internet directly from the TV screen.
First of all, we create an access point on the laptop. This procedure is quite SIMple to carry out, since a wireless module is already built into the laptop, like in a router. The built-in software of a personal computer is much more stable than third-party applications. To create your own group for wireless connection, follow these steps:
- turn on the laptop and enter the command line through “Start”;
- write the following code netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode = allow ssid = My_virtual_Wi-Fi key = 12345678 keyUsage = persistent (be sure to strictly follow the order and sequence of characters);
- after pressing the “Enter” key and starting the command, the computer will start automatically loading the required driver;
- launch the network connection through the netsh wlan start hostednetwork command.
For example, let’s talk about some of the most popular LCD TV models with wireless connectivity.