Connection options. If there is no suitable output on the set-top box
It is possible that there are connectors on the digital tuner and the TV for receiving and transmitting AV, but they do not fit together in any way. What to do in this case?
- change a TV receiver or set-top box;
- use adapters.
Here are just a few scenarios for using such adapters:
- If the new set-top box only supports HDMI output, use an RCA converter. Some loss of quality is inevitable (for example, HD channels will not be shown), however, the signal will be correctly decomposed in the three old directions into a row and sound for the right and left speakers.
- If you are using a plasma or LCD TV (Sony, Onida and others, released in the late 90s. early 2000s), the old VGA connector may be installed there. For such cases, HDMI-VGA adapters exist and are actively sold. However, when using them, you need to remember: to transmit sound to the TV, you additionally need a separate wire (usually 3.5 mm Jack).
- Problems with SCART and S-compatibility are also possible. In this case, an adapter is also used. Most models also support triple RCA output.
Another connection option is if the set-top box and the TV have a SCART connector. This interface has long been the main European.
If the old TV was originally created to receive a low-frequency signal through “Euro-AV” (as the SCART connector is often called), then the connection looks like this:
- Prepare the equipment: set up the antenna as high as possible and orient it towards the nearest repeater.
- Disconnect power. Once again, we recall that all manipulations with the connection must be carried out on de-energized equipment.
- Connect the set-top box and TV using a SCART cable.
- Turn on the power.
- Put your TV in AV mode.
- Set up the set-top box to receive a TV signal.
What do you need to connect “numbers” on an old TV
To receive digital television, the following set of equipment is required:
- Old TV. The later the model is released, the easier it is for it to “make friends” with an external tuner.
- Prefix. It is she who converts the digital signal into sound and image.
- Conventional antenna. capable of receiving TV transmission of the DVB-T2 standard. (find out in 3 minutes which one is better to choose).
- Cables: antenna (with a characteristic impedance of about 75 ohms) and an adapter through which old TVs (such as Goldstar, Vityaz, Rubin, etc.) are connected to the receiver (more on that below).
- RF modulator. It will be required where not just picture tubes are used (the use of CRT does not interfere with the “digital” in any way), but the old lamp of the Soviet design, whose connection scheme, in principle, does not provide for operation through the “tulip” or the use of other low-frequency inputs.
The easiest option, in which the old TV will show digital programs, is to connect it through the “tulip”, “bell”, also known as a set of RCA connectors.
This is the oldest type of connector used. Its basis was developed in the 1940s and is still successfully used in a bunch of different audio and technology.
The connection diagram through the “tulip” is as follows:
- Turn off the TV and receiver from the sockets.
- Plug the connectors on the cables into the jacks where they fit. Here you need to look at the marking. Usually, the color marks on the tulip plugs correspond to the connectors where they should be connected. But there are exceptions. there may be only two connectors, and the colors are different. In this case, be sure to connect yellow (signal) and white (mono sound). red is negligible.
- Connect the antenna cable to the set-top box. It is he who serves as a signal source.
- Turn on your TV, go to the menu and select AV mode. The specific method depends on the model of the TV receiver (setting the settings on the Orion apparatus is very different from those used for Horizon with a CRT still of the Soviet production).
- Tune channels on your digital set-top box. It is important here that the cord is not too long, and the antenna is correctly oriented.
- Store tuned channels in the STB’s memory.
Through antenna connector
It may turn out that the TV SIMply does not have an AV connector. This usually happens if old Soviet receivers are used (“Birch”, “Horizon”, “Record”, etc.). In this case, you need to use the TV antenna input.
The connection is carried out as follows:
- connect the antenna to the set-top box;
- connect it using an adapter cable with an RF modulator;
- connect the latter to the antenna input of the TV receiver.
The TV will receive an analog high frequency signal with digital channels. You need to tune the device for reception in the same way as it was done before with analog terrestrial TV programs.
Instructions for connecting a digital set-top box to an old TV model
Since the nationwide transition from analogue to digital broadcasting took place, the owners of old TVs have faced a problem: what to do next? CRT “boxes” obviously do not perceive “digital”. It is required to connect a receiver box, but the methods are not always obvious.
We will figure out how to correctly connect a digital set-top box to an old TV and what needs to be done to avoid pitfalls.
Instead of a conclusion
Even though older TVs do not have an internal digital tuner, they can still be used if a set-top box is connected. There are many connection options, as well as adapters for all types of interface, so you can easily choose the one that is needed in a particular case.
The presented section includes:
- Autosearch. Click “OK” button to run.
- Manual search. Use the keys to adjust the frequency.
- Country of residence selection.
- Antenna power supply. When using an active antenna together with power to the amplifier via cable, then activate the option.
What is needed to connect
The tuner package includes:
- RCA cable or tulips to connect to legacy TVs.
- Remote control.
- Power Supply.
- Set of batteries.
If HDMI output is available, an appropriate cable is required. Before connecting, it is important to disconnect the equipment from the power supply, and also insert the batteries into the remote control.
The main settings include the main tabs in the menu:
- Program manager.
- Search TV channels.
- System parameters.
Selenga prefix does not find channels
An outdated software update may be the cause. To solve the problem, go to the settings and in the “System” tab, check for updates. But also the malfunction may lie in the antenna used, it probably does not support the DVB-T2 standard. You will have to purchase a new one that can receive the required type of signal.
The next section is image settings. In the menu, it is the second tab in the account. You can change here:
Screen format. This parameter should be selected for your TV model:
- 4: 3.
- 4: 3 full screen.
- 16: 9.
- 16: 9 Wide.
- 16: 9 Panoramic.
Not sure about the right choice? Set the option “AUTO”.
- Resolution. Use arrows to select. 480i / 480p for NTSC, 576i / 576p for PAL system or 720p / 1080i / 1080p suitable for any TV system.
- Volume. Adjust the volume on a specific TV channel or all.
- OSD parameter. Determines the percentage of transparency of the receiver menu.
- Configure LED display. Allows you to change the brightness, turn on the visibility of the TV channel number or activate the time display when watching TV.
How to connect Selenga to an old TV
Anyone can connect a digital set-top box Selenga to an old model TV. The procedure is the same as described above. Only when connected, you will not be able to use the HDMI cable due to the lack of the required input on the TV. Use a set of RCA tulips by connecting them by color.
This section includes:
- Channel editor.
- TV guide.
- Automatic numbering.
- Updating the channel list.
The channel editor includes several settings. When entering, the system may ask for a password, then enter six zeros. The option allows you to block, skip, create a list of favorites or delete TV channels. Instructions for use:
If you have any questions or complaints. let us know
- To add to the favorites list, mark the channel name with a red star. Use the “OK” button. To exit the tab, press on the remote “EXIT”.
- To remove from favorites. select a specific broadcast in the list and press “FAV”.
- To remove a channel from broadcasting, press the blue button on the remote control, having previously selected the unnecessary broadcast.
- Press the green button to skip the TV channel.
- The red button will allow you to move a specific channel to another position, which you want to define with the keys. After moving click “OK”.
- Use the yellow button to lock. Enter six zeros in the password field.
A TV guide is a TV program guide. Users can get acquainted with information about all channels, for example, with the current broadcast, as well as with the next broadcast schedule.
The Sort tab allows you to arrange channels by:
- Identification number.
- Network ID. ONID.
- By logical numbering.
Potential problems and solutions
We have examined how to set up the Selenga prefix, now we should analyze common errors and problems that may arise during connection or further use. Frequent malfunctions include:
- The STB cannot find channels.
- There is no reaction to the remote control.
- No signal.
Available in system parameters:
- Parental control. To enter, you will need to enter a password consisting of six zeros.
- Setting a password for installed or standard applications.
- Factory reset.
- Installed software information, model data.
- Software Update.
Signal quality check
You can check the signal by pressing the INFO button a few times. You will find 2 scales on the screen that will demonstrate the quality. The normal indicator is at least 70 percent. If the value is less, then change the location of the antenna. Then check the scale again.
How to connect Samsung TV to digital TV without a set-top box
Modern Samsung devices connect to digital TV without a tuner. The configuration process is not complicated, because it is carried out automatically by the system itself, just select the desired parameter. Instructions:
- Open the menu and enter the “Broadcast” section.
- Select automatic setup.
- When choosing source, specify the connected antenna or the input used.
- In the “Channel type” tab, click on “Digital broadcasting”.
- In the search mode item, select. Full.
- Click “Scanner”.
- The detected broadcasts will appear in the list. They are saved automatically. Wait for the system to complete the procedure.
- Autosearch can be restarted if necessary.
In some cases, manual configuration may be required. For example, when auto search fails or does not find the entire list of broadcasts. For manual tuning, go to the “Channel” section in the menu and select the connected cable instead of the antenna.
- In the country tab, change to Russia or Eastern Europe.
- Go to “Cable Search Settings”.
- Use the remote control to specify the frequencies. 298000-362000 kHz.
- Select “Digital”.
- Search type. Network.
You will find many receivers in the digital market. The main difference lies in the functionality, which determines the cost of the set-top box.
If you have any questions or complaints. let us know
It makes no sense to give specific recommendations for choosing a prefix. Choose a device according to your preferences, taking into account the financial component. But, don’t buy a too cheap receiver.
Which antenna to choose
First of all, you should find out the distance to the nearest television tower. If the repeater is not far away, then a SIMple antenna will do.
Thus, the following classification can be presented:
- Indoor antennas. Good performance when receiving a signal if the repeater is located nearby. in a city or close to a house. The distance to the tower should not exceed 15 kilometers.
- Outdoor. In the case when the tower is at distant distances, then choose a device that works in the decimeter range. That is, it should pick up frequencies from 470 to 860 MHz.
Do you want to set up digital TV in a country house where the tower is located at a great distance? Choose an antenna with an amplifier.
Connecting a digital set-top box to a Samsung TV via tulips (RCA)
Connecting through tulips is the most affordable option. RCA outputs are available on all device models. Connect the cables by color. red to red, white to white, etc. If an image is transmitted through the yellow wire, then the other two are responsible for sound transmission.
SCART has not been used in new TVs for a long time. This connector is found only in older models. To use this output you need an RCA adapter.
The presented output is available in all new TVs. HDMI offers better transmission quality, providing good picture and sound. Connect the cable to the receiver and to the jack in the TV set.
RF only applies to older devices. The tuner has two such inputs. IN and OUT. The first is necessary for the encoded signal, and the second connects to the TV itself.
How to Connect a Digital TV Receiver to a Samsung TV
The procedure for connecting a set-top box depends on the available inputs on the TV and on the tuner itself. Below we will study in detail how to connect a digital TV set-top box to a Samsung TV using different connectors.
Search and tune available channels
Having connected the set-top box, we start the search for TV broadcasts:
- Go to the tuner menu.
- Select the “Channel Search” tab.
- Click on automatic search.
- Wait for the system to complete the operation.
Check the found channels, if their list matches the one declared by the provider, then the autosearch was completed successfully. If there are not enough channels, then use the manual search, additionally change the location of the antenna.
We connect to the old TV
Connecting to older Samsung TVs isn’t difficult. The difference lies in the connectors. You can use SCART port, antenna input or RCA.
How to connect a digital TV set-top box to a TV
The transition to digital TV broadcasting is gradually coming to its logical conclusion, the number of analogue repeaters has significantly decreased. Accordingly, it’s time to figure out how to connect a digital set-top box to a TV. To view TV broadcasts in digital format, you need a suitable antenna and DVB-T2 set-top box.
Most common connection problems
If squares are interrupted or appear, then this is not a problem with the attachment, but a rather weak incoming signal, which can be solved by changing the position of the antenna. You should also try applying a reflected signal. This problem may be due to a problem with the cable or connector. Be sure to check the integrity of the wire, as well as the correct installation of the connectors.
Another common connection error is black and white. Most often, a SIMilar defect occurs if the cable is installed in the wrong connector. Be sure to check the image settings in the receiver’s menu, set the AUTO mode. In rare cases, the attachment itself may be broken.
- It is best to buy an antenna without an additional amplifier. It is much more resistant to interference.
- We use a directional antenna, if there are no significant obstacles, it amplifies the signal.
- A wide-angle antenna is the best option in difficult reception conditions. Its design provides greater coverage.
- In the most difficult situations, an antenna is required, additionally equipped with a preamplifier.
Is it possible to connect two TVs to the set-top box
If you have several TVs at home, you will need to use two receivers to provide access to different channels. When connecting multiple TVs to one set-top box, they will work synchronously, repeating the image. If you are satisfied with this option, you will need a splitter or standard cable splitter to connect. With their help you can split the antenna signal into several TVs.
We connect the receiver to a new TV
Now let’s take a closer look at how to set up a digital set-top box to a Samsung TV with Smart TV (this setting will work for other TV models with Smart TV technology as well). The aLGorithm of actions is as follows:
- all work must be carried out with the TV off, it will be possible to start it only after everything is completed.
- using a cable, we connect the antenna to the receiver using the appropriate input;
- using a cable with HDMI connectors, we connect the receiver to the TV;
- we connect the power;
- an assistant will appear on the TV screen to help you make all the settings correctly.
You will immediately need to choose a convenient language, country and image format. After that, you can start searching for available channels.
We connect to the old TV
Many people ask the question of how to connect an old TV to a new digital set-top box. Not all houses have TVs of the latest generation, which was taken into account by the manufacturers of set-top boxes. Such devices are equipped with additional connectors that allow you to connect even very old TVs. There are several ways available to users:
- using the SCART port, having previously purchased a tuner with a SIMilar connector;
- the oldest TVs are connected via a standard antenna connector;
- with RCA-RCA cable.
Accordingly, having studied your TV, choose the appropriate connection principle.
The connection principle largely depends on the available connectors, both on the tuner and on the TV. Now let’s decide how to connect a TV set-top box to your TV through the main connectors:
The SIMplest and most affordable connection option. If the diagonal of the TV is not too large, the picture will be of decent quality. During the connection process, you will need to insert tulips into the ports of the corresponding color. So, it is fed through the yellow wire. red and white are responsible for sound.
It looks like an RCA cable or “tulip”
Many people are interested in how to connect a DVB-T2 receiver using a home antenna, because it comes with most TVs. The problem is that such receiving devices are distinguished by the minimum amplification parameters, therefore they are additionally equipped with all kinds of amplifiers. But they don’t solve the problem, any fluctuations and interference are immediately displayed on the image quality.
This interface is not a frequent visitor on modern consoles. Found only on older models. To connect to the TV, you need a SCART to RCA adapter cable.
It looks like a SCART to RCA adapter
The latest technology available only on modern TV. If the devices allow, then it is best to use this connector. It is through it that the highest quality signal is broadcast, which will allow you to enjoy the perfect image.
This is what an HDMI cable looks like
All users are familiar with these connectors. There are two of them on the set-top box, RF IN is used to receive an encoded signal, and a connection to a TV is organized through RF OUT. This option may become relevant if the TV is very old.
This is how the antenna cable RF IN. RF OUT looks like RF IN. RF OUT connector on the set-top box
The image parameters change the picture format or resolution. Available for selection:
- 4: 3 including full screen.
- 16: 9 including wide and panoramic screen.
Resolution that can be set:
- 80i / 480p is used for NTSC.
- 576i / 576p.
- 720p / 1080i / 1080p.
The user must set the desired format and resolution himself, focusing on his own TV. When you select certain settings, the size of the image on the screen will change, select the best option and press the exit button. The parameter will be saved automatically.
Setting up a Dexp set-top box for digital television is quite easy. Basically, the system independently configures the necessary parameters, the user only needs to specify the required values. For example, in order for the prefix to determine the current time, check the box next to “Auto” in the appropriate section, specify the country of residence and time zone. And to find channels, you need to click on “Autosearch”, having previously selected the type of connection. The options themselves do not require settings, everything is ready to go, you just need to connect the equipment and start scanning the broadcasts.
After the first launch, a notification window will appear on the screen, where you need to specify the connection used. HDMI or AV. Next, you need to select a language and country. The third step is to search for channels, select automatic detection and the system will start scanning. The detected broadcasts will be displayed in the list. If the list is not complete, then use the manual search.
The main operations with the receiver can be divided into points:
If you have any questions or complaints. let us know
- Program manager.
- Picture settings.
- Channel search.
- Time options.
- System parameters.
Each category includes many items that can be customized in detail. Let’s study them separately.
A damaged cable is often the cause. Make sure the wires and connectors are working properly. Also, the fault may be on the side of the service provider. Several times a year, providers carry out maintenance work, you are probably trying to use the TV at the very moment when maintenance work is underway. Call technical service and clarify the question.
Potential problems and solutions
Some configuration steps can cause problems. For example, common problems include:
- The STB refuses to detect channels.
- The remote control does not respond to commands.
- Ohdpluginlibrary has encountered an error.
- Can’t determine display mode.
- The picture quality is poor.
What to do? Consider the reasons and solutions.
The system parameters tab contains a whole list of options, including:
- Parental Controls to block certain broadcasts or applications. To start the function, you need to enter the password. 000000.
- Reset parameters.
- Software Update.
- Ability to view data on firmware and TV model.
This includes two sections. editor and sort. The first one allows:
- Add broadcast to favorites list by pressing FAV button. Press EXIT to leave the category. Press the FAV button again to open the favorites list.
- Block the channel or delete it. Before operation, the system will ask for a password, enter six zeros. To block, click on the blue key, and to delete, click on the yellow.
- Move the channel to another position. To do this, select the broadcast, click on the green key and move it to another place.
The next section is sorting. The function allows you to sort channels by name, ID or ONID.
Next is the tab with time parameters. Here you can:
- Change timezone.
- Change country of residence.
- Enable timer for device auto-off.
- Change the time manually or put an automatic installation. The system will independently set the time, focusing on the specified location and time zone.
Setting up a digital set-top box
Set up a digital set-top box as follows:
- take the remote control of the set-top box and press the “Menu” button;
- a window will appear in which you need to select the “Configure channels” item;
- click “OK” and wait for the set-top box to automatically tune the channels;
- then you need to accept the detected channels and save them.
Thus, setting up the receiver is quite SIMple.
How to connect a digital set-top box
Connecting the set-top box to the TV is as follows:
- It is necessary to unpack the TV box and remove the protective film from it. This is done so that the film does not heat up during operation of the set-top box.
- The cable is taken and the protective sheath is cut off from its ends, retreating by 10. 15 mm. The sheath must be cut so as not to accidentally damage the shiny film protecting the center conductor. This film is shielding.
- Carefully fold back the foil and screw on the f. Connectors.
- Then connect the set-top box cable to the TV.
- After that, connect the tulip wires to the set-top box and the TV.
- At the end, an antenna is connected to the TV. Install the antenna on the outside of the house or on the balcony. In this case, it is necessary to ensure that the antenna does not interfere with the wires of the power line or tree branches.
After that, it remains only to configure the digital receiver.
Connecting a digital device to an old TV
Many people still use older TVs. If the attachment is quickly and easily connected to modern models, then the old “electrons” do not have a connector for “tulips”.
Some older TVs do not have an A / V input, but they do have a SCART connector, some pins of which accept component signals. Therefore, you can find the tulips to SCART adapter circuit yourself and solder.
In addition, an audio to SCART adapter can be purchased. It can be of two types: an adapter cable and the adapter itself, to which a standard RCA cable is connected from the set-top box.
Old Soviet televisions of the “Electron” type are completely not equipped with any inputs, so you should only use the antenna jack, where the high-frequency modulated signal is fed. Thus, you will need to find a modulator with RCA inputs.
In order for digital television to broadcast in an apartment, you need the following equipment:
- TV set;
- antenna or satellite dish.
The TV should be such that it has an antenna input, connectors for “tulips”, scart. an input with an input. Modern TVs have an hdmi. connector, it is also suitable for connecting a receiver.
Before purchasing a set-top box, you need to familiarize yourself with the list of companies providing digital TV broadcasting services. You can consult with the specialists of the selected company, who will advise the necessary receiver model. Some companies hold promotions that allow you to purchase and install the device for free.
The set-top box itself is just an attribute that allows you to receive and tune channels for a specific TV, broadcast in a completely new format and much better quality. In order for them to broadcast through the receiver, you need to deal with the broadcast source. This could be:
- the Internet;
- satellite dish;
- other SIMilar items.
How to connect a digital set-top box to a TV
The whole world has long since switched to digital television. Our country began the process of transition from analog signal transmission relatively recently. Digital television has contributed to the emergence of digital channels broadcasting throughout the country. TV sets supporting digital broadcasting DVB. T 2 appeared on sale.
It is very convenient, you just need to connect the TV cable to the TV, and no other wires are required anymore. However, if TV does not support digital broadcasting, then a digital set-top box comes to the rescue. Many, having purchased this device, do not know how to properly connect it to a TV. Therefore, it is necessary to fill this information gap.
Having connected digital television, do not forget to pay every month for a certain package of channels. Some providers offer the purchase of digital set-top boxes with a set of digital TV channels, which are already included in the price.
The main thing is to get distracted from watching your favorite TV shows from time to time in order to make time for your family.
We connect Lumax to an old TV
Since a TV at home can stand and work great for decades, people often ask how to connect a Lumax to an old TV. For this, the set-top box is equipped with special RCA connectors for connecting a TV through “tulips”.
Tulips are made up of three daddy-daddy-type connectors, yellow, white, and red.
Lumax DVB set-top box allows the user to:
- Include subtitle and subtitle language;
- Adjust TV soundtrack;
- Set up special sound for HDMI mode;
- Make menu windows transparent.
Parental control is also present in the set-top boxes, which allows you to prohibit both viewing channels and access to higher priority TV parameters.
How to search for channels
When choosing a package, any of the TV tuners will allow you to pull up digital channels. This is done SIMply:
- Find in the menu the option “Search for channels”.
- Select the type “Automatic” or “Manual”.
- Start your search.
- Finish search and save channels.
- After, you can start sorting them.
This is one of the menu sections with which you can open folders:
- Electronic program guide;
Through such functions, channel placement is implemented. You can immediately delete them, create lists, assign new names.
How to connect a Lumax set-top box to Wi-Fi
If the Internet is connected at home, and the router distributes Wi-Fi, then the Lumax prefix will connect to Wi-Fi without any problems. Even if the Lumax model is not equipped with a built-in module, you can connect an external adapter via the USB port and access the Internet from the TV.
The connection to the global network will allow you to watch movies from YouTube on the big screen. For this, a special function has been created. “Cinema”.
What problems can arise and how to fix them
When setting up a digital set-top box, problems do not appear if the adapter is working properly, and the cables and wires “confidently” sit in their connectors.
Connection and initial setup
To configure, an initial configuration is required:
- Connect TV to tuner via output wire (HDMI or Display Port);
- To do this, use the cable provided in the kit or purchase a new one;
- Then insert the plug and turn on the modem.
Done, then go over the instructions with your eyes and repeat this using the remote control:
- On the remote, click the “Menu” button.
- In the window that appears, find the option “Search for channels” and click “Next”.
- Start the search by clicking on the button of the same name.
- Enter the required parameters, type and search mode. “Auto” and “Network”.
- When the search is over and the corresponding menu appears, you can exit the menu completely.
- Channels will pull up and persist.
When the channels are available for viewing, they can be controlled with the remote control. Various combinations are also available using the control buttons:
- Menu. enter / exit parameters;
- Arrows up, down and from left to right. allow you to flip through channels, change the sound volume, move through menu sections;
- Stop. stop viewing;
- Record. enable channel recording.
Step-by-step instructions for connecting and configuring a Lumax digital set-top box
Lumax set-top boxes have gained popularity among Russian citizens, especially with the massive transition to digital television. The article describes how to connect a Lumax Electronics set-top box to a TV.