How to connect and configure a set-top box for digital TV
Depending on which tuner you have selected, the menu picture on the screen, the name of the buttons on the remote control, the presence of outputs may change. But the connection and configuration aLGorithm for all devices is SIMilar. Therefore, we will consider the general points related to how to connect a set-top box for watching digital TV, without being tied to a specific model.
How to connect a digital set-top box to a TV
Connecting digital television through a set-top box, however, like any other electronic devices, you should start by reading the instructions included in the kit. This will help you determine the purpose of the main buttons on the remote control, the presence and location of the connectors, additional functions available to your receiver. As a result, you will significantly SIMplify the process of connecting the set-top box and its further configuration.
Please note that the standard connection schemes used will protect the device from failure if mistakes are made. But none of them will allow you to watch TV programs in digital quality.
In most cases, a digital TV set-top box is connected to an antenna that was previously used for an old analog TV receiver. To SIMplify the connection, be sure to obtain the best possible analogue signal reception. Most often, the position of the receiving antenna will remain that way, because it assumes an exact orientation towards the repeater or the source of the reflected signal.
To supply a digital signal to the tuner, the antenna is connected using a conventional coaxial cable with a characteristic impedance of 75 ohms. It is these conductors that are distinguished by the minimum attenuation of the received signal and are recommended for television sets, regardless of the year of manufacture. But how to connect a digital set-top box to an old TV, we will consider here
On the rear panel of the set-top box there is a standard connector (“RF IN”) for connecting the antenna input. At the same time, you will not have to change the plug itself on the cable, the one that was used for analog TVs is quite suitable.
There is a definite difference in connecting to old TVs and newer models of equipment. This is due to the presence of different audio and signal inputs. In practice, you will have to face one of the following options:
- Connection using a cord with cinch plugs. It is almost impossible to make a mistake in this case. Both on the TV, and on the set-top box, and on the cables themselves, the inputs and outputs that need to be connected are color-coded. So, for the signal, connectors and plugs are used in yellow, and for audio channels. white and red. Please note that you need to connect exactly to the input connectors of the TV (marked “IN”). When connected to the OUT jacks, you cannot tune channels. If the TV only plays mono audio, the white or red plug of the cord is not connected.
- Outdated models of TV receivers and set-top boxes used SCART connections. It will not work to make a mistake when connecting such a cord, the plug will only be in one specific position. But if one of the devices does not have such a connector, you will have to use an adapter “SCART. tulips”.
- The easiest way is to connect and configure DVB-T2 in the presence of the HDMI connector, which are equipped with more and less modern TVs. It is through such a port that it turns out to supply audio / signal with minimal distortion. The same connection is required to be able to access the Internet, if your tuner provides such an opportunity.
After checking the correct connection of the antenna and the connecting cord, turn on the tuner itself and proceed with its further configuration.
Set-top box setup
Let’s look at a SIMple example of how to set up a set-top box for 20 channels, which are included in the free multiplexes available. When you connect the tuner to the TV for the first time, the tuning aLGorithm involves the following steps:
- Select the appropriate signal input on the TV receiver. To connect via tulips or SCART-AV, there may be several of them, so find the one that displays the DVT-T2 splash screen. Select the appropriate input for HDMI connection.
- To configure the STB, wait until the software is fully loaded, then select the interface language convenient for you. It is not recommended to immediately change information in other menu items (region, range, format).
- Channel search is carried out in automatic mode after selecting the appropriate menu item. With the correct connection and tuning of the antenna, the entire package of available channels begins to show immediately after the search is completed, which takes up to 2-5 minutes.
If any channels show poor quality (tears the image, the signal constantly disappears, other defects), additional correction of the antenna position will be required. And for this you can use the functionality of the console itself:
- Press 2 times on the “INFO” button (in some models another button on the remote control can be used, check the instructions for the equipment). \ In the menu that appears, 2 scales will be displayed. “Quality” and “Level” of the signal. By carefully changing the direction of the antenna, achieve the maximum possible value of the indicators on both scales. This will help improve the reception.
Please note that the indicators may differ for different channels and multiplexes. To properly tune the antenna, adjust its position along the channel with the lowest indicators, achieving accurate directivity.
It takes no more than 10-15 minutes to connect and configure the set-top box, so you can do the job yourself. During operation, it may be necessary to reconfigure channels, reset to factory settings. All these operations are also easy to do by going to the appropriate section of the menu using the tuner remote control.
DVI connector types: DVI-DVI cable specifications
There are several types of DVI connectors, the characteristics of which need to be understood in order to properly connect the set-top box to the TV. Among them are the following:
- Single link DVI is a single mode cable that uses four twisted pairs of wires of different colors. These are the so-called green, blue, red and clock signals. They make it possible to broadcast a signal of 24 bits per pixel, which helps to achieve the maximum resolution. 1920×1200 (60 Hz) or 1920×1080 (75 Hz).
- Dual link DVI is a dual mode that doubles the bandwidth for 2048×1536, 2560×1080 or 2560×1600 screen resolutions. In this case, for large LCD screens (over 30 ″) with high resolution, a dual-output card called
- DVI-D Dual-Link. A monitor with a maximum screen resolution of 1280×1024 requires a SIMple tulip cable. DUAL LINK is inappropriate here, as it serves to connect to monitors with a higher resolution.
Speaking about the types of DVI connectors, the following devices should be mentioned:
- DVI-A Single Link, where the letter “A” stands for analog, that is, purely analog transmission is assumed;
- DVI-I, where “I” indicates that both analog and digital transmission is contemplated;
- DVI-D, where the letter “D” stands for digital-only transmission.
Today there are several types of DVI connectors
A special type is the DVI-DVI cable, produced in a length of 1.8 m. It is designed to transmit signals in digital format between devices that transmit and receive a signal. over, they have a DVI interface. This can be a computer, monitor, projector or LCD.
F-connector features and capabilities: cable mount
F-connector for coaxial cable (another name. wrap-around connector), equipped with an internal thread for RG-6 wire. Designed for the communication of the cable with the tuner, and is also used to connect the TV to the antenna. How to do this, we will consider further.
The very process of installing the F-connector involves the following sequence of actions:
- removal of the outer cable insulation to a depth of 15 mm, under which a large number of single-core copper wires will be exposed;
- bending of the screen from the multi-wiring bus for insulation;
- removal of the foil screen;
- deviation from the end of the wire by 10 mm and removal of the inner cable insulation, which allows freeing the central core;
- stripping the central core with a knife from the top layer of enamel and screwing the connector.
F-connector installation sequence diagram
As a result of the performed actions, the central core should protrude a couple of millimeters above the F-connector. The rest of the core should SIMply be cut.
There are several types of F-connectors. They can be SIMple or compression, for the installation of which you will need a special tool. Such F-connectors are mainly used by professionals, because it significantly reduces the installation time, and the work is done better. Compression connectors last significantly longer and are more reliable than SIMple F connectors. Their use allows several times to extend the life of the equipment.
How to connect a digital set-top box to a TV: aLGorithm for different models
The setup will not be performed correctly if errors are made when connecting the digital set-top box. This is an axiom, so at this stage you need to strictly follow the step-by-step sequence according to the instructions attached to the device. The connection process includes the following stages:
For the TV to work correctly, you need to connect the set-top box according to the aLGorithm
- Connecting the cable from the antenna to the set-top box.
- Connecting the receiver to the TV. If the tuner is built-in, then this step is skipped.
- Plugging in the TV and receiver.
- Connecting power to the TV receiver amplifier.
When installing digital television, you should figure out what type of set-top box is used, what its functions and to which TV it can be connected. According to functionality and purpose, receivers are divided in accordance with the signal standard that it receives:
- digital. this is a DVB-T2 set-top box with VGA output;
- cable set-top boxes of DVB-C format;
- satellite or DVB-S2.
When installing digital television, you need to determine the type of set-top box and its functionality
It should be noted that there are also universal set-top boxes designed to receive almost any digital broadcast format while maintaining the reception of analog television.
HDMI VGA adapter: features and functions
An HDMI to VGA converter is used to convert a digital signal from digital quality equipment with HDMI output to an analog signal that is fed to the VGA input. The HDMI-VGA converter has gained great popularity due to the functionality to connect a card with HDMI output to analog screens of previous generations with VGA input.
The HDMI-VGA adapter is additionally equipped with an audio cable 50 cm long.Analog type signal from the adapter input is transmitted to the VGA-input of the monitor, and the audio signal is sent through the cable to a monitor with built-in speakers, speakers or a stereo system.
HDMI to VGA adapter has many positive characteristics
The HDMI-VGA adapter has a relatively light weight and size. The package contains an adapter, an audio device cable with a standard 3.5 mm jack. It is a mini converter with support for 720P-1080i-1080P resolution, so suitable for different kinds of devices.
Thus, the main features and operation of the VGA to HDMI adapter are due to such characteristics as:
- compact dimensions of the adapter;
- HDMI digital stream is converted to analog VGA signal with audio signal output to 3.5 mm jack;
- maintaining the output with a resolution of 1920X1200, 60 Hz;
- support for HDMI 1.4 version;
- converter parameters: width. 49 mm, length. 23 mm, height. 5 mm.
The HDMI to VGA converter is compact and versatile
The relevance of connecting digital television
Digital television, which replaced analog television, is rapidly gaining popularity among consumers of television products. Its main feature is the ability to transmit high quality images from the broadcaster to the user thanks to the Full HD resolution. It should be noted that digital television developed SIMultaneously with other technologies, as a result of which three types of broadcasting appeared. terrestrial, cable and satellite.
Connecting digital television opens up many possibilities for the user
Connecting digital TV broadcasting requires a new generation TV equipped with the Smart option. Then the question of how to connect digital television without a set-top box is decided by itself. If there is no option in the device, then you need special equipment in the form of a set-top box (receiver). It is a versatile device that is generally suitable for receiving signals of different formats due to the large number of connectors. But at the same time, certain difficulties may arise associated with the use of each of the inputs and directly with the connection process.
Therefore, before connecting a digital TV set-top box to a TV, it is especially important to carefully study the detailed information regarding the correct connection of digital TV at home using a digital set-top box to a TV. The process itself includes several stages:
- choice of equipment;
- antenna connection;
- connecting a set-top box for coding and signal distribution.
SCART connector: equipment features and capabilities
The SCART connector is a more compact version of the RCA type connector. It is installed in small receivers or in other devices, provided that the set-top box is equipped with a large number of inputs. For connection use the same cable with a SCART plug to the RCA connector. Thus, the “Scart” connector is considered the most compact adapter for TV tuners.
Such connectors are also called Peritel, Euro-AV, or, more SIMply, the Euro connector, which is actually a special type of connector used in TVs and other devices designed to work together with other devices, such as tape recorders, TV set-top boxes, DVD players, etc. DVD recorders. A standard of this type was invented in France back in the 70s of the last century, and the SCART connector gained particular popularity in the 80s.
Such a connector helps to connect various devices much faster. At the same time, he combined all possible signals (both audio and) that go to a plug with a certain number of outputs. The pinout of the Scart connector is the designation of the functions of the contacts. Modern television or equipment manufactured for the European market is practically all equipped with a SCART connector. It is thanks to this opportunity that the exchange between the “digital” and the analog signal occurs.
SCART connector is more advanced and compact than RCA
The SCART connector contains 20 pins that are capable of receiving or transmitting a certain type of analog signal. The edge of the connector is made of metal, it is connected to the shielding winding of the cable, thereby protecting the signal from various kinds of interference. The metal frame is asymmetrical on the outside to prevent incorrect plugging into the socket.
How to set up a digital set-top box with 20 channels
Thus, before setting up a digital set-top box to your TV, you should decide on the receiver and receiver. Here you need to be guided by personal preference. It should be noted that in a big city, you can use SIMple terrestrial broadcasting, which will allow you to receive 20 free channels.
In small towns it is also better to use terrestrial television until a second multiplex is connected. In the most remote regions, where serious problems with broadcasting arise, the best option is to connect a satellite dish through a set-top box.
In this case, before setting up the set-top box for 20 channels, you need to purchase an amplifier. In this case, the position and direction of the equipment does not matter, because the signal is received over the entire plane, that is, at 360 °. If it is necessary to connect via an outdoor antenna, then in this case it should be noted that it requires the selection of the correct direction. Signal reception in this case will come from television towers that transmit broadcasting from both multiplexes.
In a big city, you can easily set up reception on 20 free channels
The satellite dish can receive a signal anywhere and at any height. The signal is transmitted with strong radiation at gigahertz frequencies, the signal is transmitted to the receiver without interference, regardless of the weather. The only condition for installing a satellite dish is a non-horizontal location.
How to connect a digital set-top box to an old TV: basic nuances
Before connecting a TV set-top box to a TV, you should understand the connection diagram, which may be different depending on the TV model and the TV digital broadcast format. If we are talking about a device with a built-in TV tuner, then, accordingly, you can do without a TV set-top box. In this case, it is enough to SIMply connect an antenna, which will transmit the signal directly to the TV. The signal will be decoded in it. As a result, the user gets a graphic image of excellent quality.
To connect a digital set-top box to an old TV, you should purchase a Smart-tuner that opens access to various broadcast formats, including the ability to receive IPTV. To do this, you need a LAN connector, to which a network Ethernet cable is connected.
To connect digital TV in an old TV, you need a Smart tuner
Broadcasting exclusively terrestrial TV on inexpensive digital TVs is also problematic. If we are talking about a universal set-top box, then you can SIMply use satellite or cable TV. Then the question of which TV sets the tuner can be connected to is SIMply irrelevant. This option is suitable for those who broadcast only through the first multiplex.
How to connect a digital set-top box to an old TV without tulips
After the advent of broadband television, the transmission of the TV signal was divided into audio and signal. Previously, an AV connector with audio-output was used to connect a TV to a set-top box. Its peculiarity is that you can broadcast the signal from AV to the antenna input.
Options for connecting a digital set-top box to an old TV
In this case, before connecting the tuner to the TV via the antenna input, you will need to purchase an appropriate cable. Using an AV cable, you can connect a digital TV set-top box to an old-style TV, but the picture quality will be at the analog level, which is due to the limited possibility of the pixel screen resolution.