HDMI connection. How to connect a TV to a computer via HDMI?
You won’t surprise anyone with a large-screen TV, but buying such a TV, its owner hardly expected to watch only television programs on it. The main idea when buying a digital TV, most likely, was the ability to watch colorful films on the big screen. Most of these TVs are already equipped with a USB input, and built-in hardware and software for playing files.
The main source of files today is the computer, and digital technology allows various devices to be interconnected using an HDMI connection. This wired connection greatly expands the options for using a large screen TV, and next we will look at how to connect the TV to a computer via HDMI and even use it as a second monitor.
Before making an HDMI connection with a TV and a computer cable, you need to make sure you have the necessary connectors on the TV and the computer card. There are several types of HDMI connectors. The most common type in all devices is Type A and is considered a standard HDMI connector. In some laptops and cameras, there is a type of Type C (micro HDMI), Type D (mini HDMI) connector, these are reduced copies of the standard HDMI Type A connector, which have the same digital signal transmission capabilities. It is very rare for Type B to have an extended channel.
When you have decided on the available connectors, you need to purchase the appropriate cable. When choosing a cable with the necessary connectors, special attention should be paid to the level of protection of the cable from external interference in order to prevent a strong degradation of the image quality when transmitting a signal over a distance of more than five meters.
The ideal connection option would be HDMI. HDMI, but on many fairly old cards you can only find a digital DVI connector. A modern DVI connector can also transmit an audio signal, if this feature is supported by the card. In this case, you need to install an additional adapter, into which the DVI output of the card will be connected, and at the output of the adapter a standard HDMI connector will be obtained, which will already be connected to the TV.
HDMI carries multichannel audio, but TVs generally only play stereo audio. In order to fully enjoy not only excellent images, but also high-quality sound, it is best to connect the computer via HDMI to a home theater, and from the home theater make an HDMI connection to a TV.
There is some sequence to follow when connecting a computer and a TV via HDMI. To begin with, both of these devices must be disconnected and connected with an HDMI cable. The first thing you need to do is turn on the TV and set it to play a signal from an external source. The second turns on the computer, which should automatically detect the HDMI connection of the TV to the computer and make automatic settings. All adjustments take place without any problems, if the resolution of the TV matches the resolution of the computer monitor, then the TV starts immediately displaying the computer desktop. If after turning on the computer there is no image on the TV and only a black screen is displayed, you need to make additional settings for the card by setting the appropriate screen resolution for the computer desktop.
If desired, the connected digital TV can be used as a second computer monitor. This is done quite SIMply in the map settings, which allows you to expand your desktop to two screens and use your computer while watching on TV.
We connect the laptop to the computer via HDMI
To complete this process, you need a working system unit, an HDMI cable and a laptop with an HDMI-in connector. All settings will be done on the PC. The user only needs to perform a few SIMple steps:
Take an HDMI cable, with one side insert it into the corresponding HDM-in connector on the laptop.
Now you should start the laptop. If the image did not transfer automatically, press Fn F4 (on some laptop models, the switch between monitors can be changed). If there is no picture, adjust the screens on the computer.
Select the “Display” option.
Go to the “Configuring display settings” section.
If the screen was not found, click the “Find” button.
You can now use your laptop as a second monitor for your computer.
We use a laptop as a monitor for a computer
If you need to connect a second monitor to a computer, but it is not available, then there is the option of using a laptop as a display for a PC. This process is carried out using only one cable and a little configuration of the operating system, but there is one very important note. Let’s take a closer look at this.
Alternative connection option
There are special programs that allow you to remotely control your computer. Using them, you can connect your laptop to your computer via the Internet without using additional cables. One of the most popular programs is TeamViewer. After installation, you only need to create an account and connect. Read more about this in our article at the link below.
In addition, there are many more programs for remote access on the Internet. We suggest that you familiarize yourself with the full list of representatives of this software in the articles on the links below.
In this article, we walked through the process of connecting a laptop to a computer using an HDMI cable. As you can see, there is nothing difficult about this, if the laptop is equipped with HDMI-in, connection and setup does not take much time, and you can start working immediately. If the signal quality does not suit you or, for some reason, the connection cannot be made due to the lack of the required port, we suggest taking a closer look at the alternative.
Image transmission in 2K and 4K format
In order for the image on your TV screen to be broadcast in beautiful and clear quality, a number of conditions must be met:
- The TV must support 4K or at least 2K.
- the card must support playback in 4K or 2K format (the GeForce GTX 750Ti card copes with its tasks at full capacity, but you can choose another model).
To broadcast a high-quality picture without distortion, you need to go to the display settings on your computer and manually set the screen resolution to 3840×2160. The OS will independently select the scale for the image so that when displayed on the TV display all elements do not seem too small.
How to set up the display of a picture from a PC on a TV
If you performed all the settings of both gadgets correctly, connected the HDMI cable according to the instructions, made sure that the cable used was working, but the image from the computer did not appear due to the lack of a signal, you need to make SIMple settings on the TV itself in order to select source from which signal will be taken for broadcast.
You can select a signal source using the “INPUT” button on the remote control, if it is absent. see the instructions that came with your TV.
When you press the “Input” button, a menu will be displayed with the ability to select a port for broadcasting the incoming signal. If there are several HDMI ports, they will be numbered in the menu, remember which connector you connected the system unit to, or just select automatic signal search.
The signal selection process may differ depending on the model and brand of your TV, however, in general it follows the same SIMple steps as described above.
If all manipulations were performed correctly, you will see the same image both on the computer monitor and on the display of the TV connected with the HDMI cable. By changing the basic settings, you can achieve an increase in the screen area.
At this stage, the main thing is to ensure that the image from the computer is SIMply displayed on the TV screen, the image display parameters can be adjusted later using the settings, which we will talk about below.
When mirroring is activated, the same picture will be displayed both on the monitor and on the TV screen. Not only the picture will be the same, but also its resolution.
If you have a monitor and a TV with the same resolutions, duplicating a picture shouldn’t cause any problems if the resolution is different. the image will be displayed in the lowest resolution of one of the devices.
The aspect ratio is also important. If the monitor has a square format, and the TV, on the contrary, is widescreen, then a square picture with black rectangles at the edges will be broadcast on the screen of the latter.
The process of pairing two gadgets with each other should start with checking that both gadgets support the ability to connect to each other via HDMI.
All the methods discussed in the article are suitable for connecting a PC to a TV of any model, the main thing is that there is a specified port and all settings are performed exactly according to the instructions. You can adjust the already created connection on a PC, regardless of the preinstalled OS, the settings will be slightly different, but you can get into the essence at an intuitive level. You can always use the built-in help system.
Checking for HDMI port:
- On TVs of the latest models, an HDMI port is almost always available, it can be placed either on the side right on the edge, or at the bottom of a special protrusion. The port will definitely be signed if there is more than one port on the TV. it is also numbered to SIMplify further interaction. If an HDMI port is found, even a single one, you can proceed to the next step if the port is missing. unfortunately, it will not work to connect such a TV to a computer (there are alternative ways, but they are more difficult to implement).
- Examine your system unit, most often all ports are located in the back for easy access. In the area of the motherboard or card, there must be an HDMI input, if there is a connection port both there and there, it is preferable to connect the TV to the card.
- A port that is missing in a computer or TV does not mean that it will be impossible to connect the devices; in retail chains, you can easily pick up special adapters. Modern adapters allow you to transfer a picture no worse than using HDMI, some adapters are already outdated, therefore one image is displayed on the TV, and the sound goes through an audio system connected to a system unit.
If both devices have connection ports, you can buy a cable to connect the devices together.. You can purchase an HDMI cable up to 20 meters long, while this is too long for a home, for most tasks, a cable of 1-2 meters is generally enough. To broadcast in 4K and 2K format, the cable must support the appropriate configuration.
Features of connecting a laptop to TV via HDMI
The process of connecting a laptop to a TV via the HDMI port is practically the same as the process of connecting a system unit to a TV. The sequence of actions should be as follows:
- Examine the laptop and make sure it has an HDMI port. The port is available in most modern devices.
- Turn off the power to the laptop and TV. Connect the wires with different ends to create a connection. Do not connect the wire while one of the devices is powered on. static current can damage the port.
- Start your laptop and turn on your TV.
- If all necessary drivers are installed, the same information will be displayed on the TV screen and on the monitor display.
Go to the display settings on the laptop. To do this, right-click on an empty area on the desktop and select the appropriate option from the menu that appears.
Next, we select the optimal parameters for displaying the picture from the proposed resolutions, we also choose in which format the image will be displayed on the connected displays (only on the laptop screen, only on the TV screen, it will be duplicated on both devices, the second screen will expand the desktop).
Once the settings are complete, try playing a music or file, and make sure the audio is streaming on your TV and not your laptop. If the sound comes from a laptop, go to the Playback Options menu on the laptop (can be found through the search), and select the TV as the default playback device.
What to do if the sound from the computer does not go to the TV
Situations often arise when a picture from the system unit is displayed on the TV screen without any problems, but the sound is not reproduced at all, or it sounds from the speaker system connected to the system unit.
If a problem occurs, the first step is to make sure that the sound on your TV is not reduced to the minimum value.
If everything is fine, we perform the following sequence of actions:
- Go to the “Options” menu on your computer.
- Searching for the section “Playback Devices”.
- A window will open, the user will have access to information about all devices connected to the computer and capable of playing sound;
- Make sure your TV is displayed in the menu.
- Select your TV from the list of devices, right-click on the icon and select the “Use as default” option.
If your TV is not displayed in the “Playback Devices” menu, right-click on an empty space in the window; in the window that opens, you must confirm your consent to be displayed in the list of disabled and disconnected devices. After the performed manipulations, the TV should be displayed in the list.
If the manipulations performed still did not help add the TV to the list, the problem may be due to the wrong operation of the card or an outdated driver. Go to “Options”, select “Device Manager” and look for information about the drivers used.
We remember the information, from the official website of the card manufacturer we download the driver for your device model and install it. Installing a new driver is only worthwhile if you have already created a wired connection between two gadgets.
Additional screen options
If you want to change the resolution of the image displayed on the display monitor or TV, you must:
- On a blank area of the desktop, right-click.
- In the menu that opens, select the item “Screen settings” or “Screen resolution” depending on the operating system used.
- A menu will open in which you can adjust the parameters of the picture that is displayed on the connected screens.
If two displays are connected to the system unit at once. the settings will display two screen icons numbered “1” and “2”. By clicking on this or that icon, you can select the display, the settings of which you want to make.
In the settings menu, you can select not only the screen resolution if the automatic selection does not suit you, but also select the frequency of the picture change for a more comfortable picture display.
Also in the parameter setting menu, you can select the operating mode for each display.
How to connect a computer to a TV via HDMI
Almost every modern TV and computer system unit has a set of connectors for pairing devices with each other. Ports of the HDMI format are advantageous in that for a low cost they allow you to transfer images with sound in high quality without special settings.
It is worth trying a wired connection of a computer to a TV via HDMI, if necessary:
- Stream music. and other files.
- Screen Expansion.
- Dubbing an image from a computer display to a TV.
- Work with documents.
- Surfing the internet.
- Photo show, slide show, presentation.
- Other cases.
If all the settings are correct, the image will be broadcast without delays and delays, and the quality will not suffer too much.
It is also worth setting up the HDMI connection for emergency situations. If the native monitor from the computer suddenly fails, you can temporarily use the TV screen to solve basic tasks.
The article will consider the features of setting up a connection between a TV and a PC via HDMI, we will describe in as much detail as possible all the settings that may be required in the process so that the connection process does not take much time, and even novice PC users can master it.
Second monitor for the system unit
If you connect a personal computer to a TV directly via an HDMI cable, or through adapters, without disconnecting the main monitor from the system unit, your computer will have two screens for displaying a picture, each screen can be configured separately depending on the required parameters.
At the stage of connecting a computer to a TV via HDMI, users generally do not have any difficulties, problems begin to appear when making settings. Standard parameters without delving into the settings allow you to broadcast a picture with duplication at once on two gadgets connected to the system unit.
Configuring Windows playback devices
Usually, when in Windows 10, 8 or Windows 7 you connect a TV or separate monitor via HDMI to a laptop, the sound will automatically start playing on it. However, there are exceptions where the playback device does not change automatically and remains the same. Here it is worth trying to check if it is possible to manually select what the audio will play on.
- Right-click on the speaker icon in the Windows notification area (bottom right) and select Playback Devices. In Windows 10 1903, 1809 and 1803, to get to the playback devices, select the “Open sound settings” item in the menu, and in the next window. “Sound Control Panel”, or through the Control Panel. Sound.
- Pay attention to which of the devices is selected as the default device. If it is Speakers or headphones, but the list also contains NVIDIA High Definition Audio, AMD (ATI) High Definition Audio or some devices with HDMI text, right-click on it and select “Use as default” (do this, when the TV is already connected via HDMI).
- Apply the settings you made.
Most likely, these three steps will be enough to solve the problem. However, it may turn out that in the list of playback devices there is nothing SIMilar to HDMI Audio (even if you right-click on an empty place in the list and enable the display of hidden and disabled devices), then the following solutions may help.
If the sound from the laptop via HDMI still does not play on the TV
If both methods did not help, while the desired item is exactly set in the playback devices, I recommend paying attention to:
- Once again. check your TV settings.
- If possible, try a different HDMI cable, or check if the sound will be transmitted over the same cable, but from a different device, not from the current laptop or computer.
- In the event that an adapter or adapter to HDMI is used to connect via HDMI, the sound may not work. If you are using VGA or DVI to HDMI, then definitely not. If DisplayPort is HDMI, then it should work, but on some adapters, in fact, there is no sound.
I hope you managed to solve the problem, if not, please describe in detail what and how happens on a laptop or computer when you try to follow the steps from the manual. I may be able to help you.
No sound via HDMI when connecting laptop or PC to TV
One of the problems that can be encountered when connecting a laptop to a TV via an HDMI cable is the lack of sound on the TV (i.e. it is played on a laptop or computer speakers, but not on a TV). Usually, this problem is easily solved and further in the instructions. possible reasons that there is no sound via HDMI and how to fix them in Windows 10, 8 (8.1) and Windows 7. See also: How to connect a laptop to a TV, Poor picture quality via HDMI.
Note: in some cases (and not very rarely), all the steps described below to solve the problem are not needed, but the whole point is in the sound reduced to zero (in the player in the OS or on the TV itself) or accidentally pressed (perhaps by a child) the Mute button on the TV remote control or receiver, if used. Check these points, especially if everything worked fine yesterday. If, when diagnosing an HDMI audio device, you see a message that this device is already in use by another application, see a separate guide for this issue here: This device is already in use by another application when outputting audio over HDMI.
Installing Drivers for HDMI Audio
It is possible that you do not have drivers for audio output via HDMI installed, although the card drivers are installed (this can be if you manually asked which components to install when installing the drivers).
To check if this is the case, go to the Windows Device Manager (in all OS versions, you can press the WinR keys on your keyboard and enter devmgmt.msc, and in Windows 10 also from the right-click menu on the Start button) and open the section “Sound, game and devices”. Further steps:
- Just in case, enable the display of hidden devices in the device manager (in the “View” menu item).
- First of all, pay attention to the number of sound devices: if this is the only audio card, then, apparently, drivers for sound via HDMI are really not installed (more on this later). It is also possible that the HDMI device (usually has these letters in the name, or the manufacturer of the card chip) is present, but disabled. In this case, right-click on it and select “Engage”.
If there is only your sound card in the list, then the way to solve the problem will be as follows:
- Download drivers for your card from AMD, NVIDIA or Intel official website, depending on the card itself.
- Install them, however, if you are using manual configuration of installation parameters, pay close attention to the fact that the sound driver for HDMI is checked and installed. For example, for NVIDIA cards it is called “HD Audio Driver”.
- After the installation is complete, restart your computer.
Note: if for one reason or another the drivers are not installed, it may be due to some kind of malfunction of the current drivers (and the sound problem is explained by the same). In this situation, you can try to completely remove the card drivers, and then reinstall them.
Software supplied with card drivers may also have custom HDMI audio output settings for supported displays.
And although this rarely helps, take a look at the settings for “NVIDIA Control Panel” (the item is located in the Windows Control Panel), AMD Catalyst or Intel HD Graphics.