Android phone connection
To connect an Android smartphone to a TV, you need a charger cable and a USB connector on the TV. They are in any modern TVs, be it Samsung, LG or any other brand.
To connect two devices, you need to do the following:
- The USB cable is plugged into the jack on the TV.
- The smartphone is connected with a cable.
- After a sound signal from TV and a mobile phone on the latter, you need to swipe the shutter, then select the “data transfer” connection type. Depending on the brand of the device manufacturer, the name may differ. for Huawei, Honor, ASUS and other Chinese. “media device” or “MTP”.
- Next, on the TV remote, press the Source button, which switches the signal sources and select the USB connector to which the smartphone is connected.
It should be understood that such a transfer using a USB cable is suitable for watching movies or photos, but will not allow the user to make a full broadcast of the screen to play or watch videos online.
There is a common misconception that makes users think that an audio or video signal can be transmitted through a USB cable, but in fact, this cable will allow you to connect a cell phone as a storage device, but not a full-fledged signal source.
The last question to consider is how you can connect your tablet to your TV. There are no differences here, and the procedure will be exactly the same. Devices are connected with a cable, the user opens the signal source USB connector.
To watch movies it is much more convenient, after selecting a signal source on the TV, specify that only video files will be played, and not display the entire contents of the memory. In this case, the device will independently find all the videos in the drive and display them in a single folder. It’s more convenient than looking for the data you need on your phone.
Each TV has a built-in video player with a set of codecs. If the TV receiver is old, then it may have few codecs and videos downloaded in good quality or directly to a smartphone will not start. In this case, two methods can help. updating the device or installing the player. This is possible when the TV supports Smart TV functions. The second option is to download the player with the installed codecs and start playing the captured videos or recorded videos through it.
Sometimes the problem with playback may be due to the fact that the TV may not understand the file system of the memory card or the gadget’s own memory. If the TV sees the phone, but does not want to play information from it, while writing that the error lies in the file system, you should try to format the USB flash drive (this will delete all data) or download a small movie up to 1.5 GB. Often old TVs understand only the FAT32 system, which will not allow you to save files larger than 1.5 GB.
It is worth noting that if the TV supports Smart TV, then the easiest way to connect is through wireless technologies. This method is convenient in that the user is not required to have wires at all, all devices are compatible and you can not just play videos or watch photos, but completely display the desktop on the TV screen. You can launch a game on your mobile phone and use it as a control panel. In other words, there are an order of magnitude more possibilities with a wireless connection.
The advantage of tablets over TVs is the presence of the first HDMI output. Most often it is in miniHDMI format, you will need an appropriate cable. At the same time, it allows you to watch movies in good quality, and in this case, the screen broadcast is again possible. On the plus side, video playback depends on the capabilities of the phone itself. In the absence of suitable codecs on the TV and it is not Smart at the same time, you will not be able to download an application to read them. But the tablet will allow you to do this. It remains to connect the devices with an HDMI cable. Not every tablet is equipped with such an outlet, but they are often found on Asus equipment.
Unlike Android smartphones, Apple technology requires fewer steps. In general, the procedure for syncing iPhone to TV is the same. Regardless of the TV manufacturer, the method will work, and even the main competitors of the Apple brand Samsung support USB data transfer technology.
As in the case of Android phones, via USB from the iPhone, you can view videos, photos and play music. You cannot enable online broadcasting or display the screen image on the desktop.
How to connect your phone to a TV via USB to listen to music and watch movies?
Good time, regular readers! Sometimes it happens that someone comes to visit and talks about a vacation or a weekend trip out of town. There is a desire to show photos or videos, but this is not very convenient for a large company on the screen of a smartphone or tablet. Displaying photos or videos on TV would be quite a logical solution. A reasonable question arises. how to connect your phone to a TV via USB to watch movies and other content. It is worth emphasizing that not all devices support this type of connection and sometimes you have to resort to using other wires or sync over Wi-Fi.
Sometimes it happens that after connecting, there is no interaction between the devices, for example, the TV does not see the mobile device or simply charges it. In this case, there are several options:
- When connected to the curtain of the smartphone, the user did not change the “charging via USB” mode to “file transfer”. In this case, the cable will simply supply the charge to the battery.
- For some smartphones, this type of connection is possible after activating the “debugging via USB” mode, in order to do this, you must first activate the developer mode on the gadget. To open access to the mode, you need to open the device settings and select the “About phone” item. In it, the user should find the “firmware version” and click on it several times (from 5 to 10). A message appears stating that developer mode is enabled. Now the user needs to go back one step and, having entered the developer menu, put a tick on “enable USB debugging”.
- If the above steps did not help, then one of the devices does not support this type of work and you will have to look for alternative methods of connection.
The advantage of the USB connection is the ability to watch movies, photos and listen to music from the phone. In this case, you should not worry about the gadget being discharged, since at the same time a charge will flow into it. The downside is that the user is limited in the choice of video codecs supported by the TV and not all phones can be connected.
Thanks for attention! Until next time on the blog! Best regards, Rostislav Kuzmin.
Intel Wireless Display (WiDi)
WiDi is a method for wirelessly transferring media files between compatible devices, including transferring content from your phone screen to your TV screen. The technology to which Intel WiDi is connected must fulfill a number of requirements: TV devices must support Intel WiDi or have an HDMI connector, smartphones must support Wireless Display and have a RockChip chip, as well as Android 4.2 and higher.
If these requirements are met, then the connection is simple:
- Intel WiDi function starts on TV;
- The Intel Wireless Display application is launched on the smartphone, and it connects to its Wi-Fi adapter;
- After agreeing to sync, TV will start broadcasting the smartphone screen.
Despite the simplicity of connection, this method has lost its relevance due to strict hardware requirements.
When you pair your smartphone with a TV, the devices may not work properly. For example, when connected through a tulip, the sound may be completely absent. But connections via USB and HDMI are devoid of such a drawback.
Questions about what can be done if the smartphone does not see the phone as a USB device arise quite often. First you need to make sure that the cable is working properly, correctly inserted into the ports. In addition, the reason may be that the TV does not support the file formats available on the phone. The compatible versions can be checked in the documentation for the technique. Sometimes on the TV you need to turn off the MTP mode and replace it with PTP or USB device.
The Wi-Fi signal used with a wireless connection requires a shared network between the two devices. If they are connected to different SSIDs, pairing will fail. Miracast can be used only for Full HD format, it will not work for UHD TVs.
See six ways on how to connect your smartphone to your TV in the video below.
There are 4 outdated ways to project a picture from an Android phone to a TV. But for owners of old models (not with “tulips” of course) this can be a salvation.
- Start the TV, select HDMI in the source selection menu (where AV, USB, PC, etc.);
- Connect a mobile device using an HDMI cable or adapter (mini USB. HDMI);
- The image will automatically adjust to the screen resolution (for full display of the picture). If this did not happen, then go to the phone menu and specify the necessary parameters yourself (image frequency, resolution).
Advantages: You can connect a charger to a free USB connector, ensuring continuous operation of the device;
Additionally, you can connect a mouse, keyboard, gamepad, USB flash drive;
TV serves as a monitor.
Not all smartphones support this type of connection;
You may need an additional adapter, adapter. When you connect the phone to the TV via USB interface, the mobile device will be used as a flash drive. That is, all actions performed on the smartphone will not be duplicated on the screen (as in the case of connecting via HDMI), but it will be possible to launch and play individual media files.
- Take a USB cable (which is used for connecting with a PC and charging) and connect one end of it to the phone, and insert the other into the USB connector on the TV;
- On the TV, open the Source menu and select USB. Perform similar actions on a mobile device (the window appears automatically).
After that, an interface will launch on the TV, where you can navigate between the system folders on the phone (like an explorer on a PC) using the keys on the remote control. On some models, the TV can automatically check the device for the presence of media files, after which it will offer to play them (you will not be able to move between individual folders). Advantages:
All devices are supported;
There is no need to buy additional cords (the required cable is supplied with the phone);
The device is charged directly from the TV, so there is no need to connect the charger.
Only those files that are supported on TV will be played (see the instructions for a list of available formats);
You can not run games and applications, use the TV as a full replacement for the monitor;
No access to the Internet. The method is suitable only for modern TVs with a built-in Wi-Fi module and Android devices of at least the fourth version.
- On your phone, go to Settings. Wireless & networks. Wi-Fi. When the list of available networks opens, click on the button calling the drop-down list and select “Wi-Fi Direct” (if it is not there, then “Additional settings”);
- It will search for available networks to connect via Wi-Fi Direct;
- Now on the TV, open the menu and look for the “Network” sub-item (usually opened using a separate key on the remote control). A list of available connection methods will appear here. Similar to the phone, select Wi-Fi Direct;
- The search will begin for available devices to connect. To connect via TV, select your mobile phone model from the list. It will have a connection request, confirm it.
After a few moments, the smartphone connects to the TV and starts transmitting a signal, duplicating the image (and transmitting sound) from the mobile to the TV.
No wires needed;
All connectors are free, so the device can be charged;
TV is used as a monitor, therefore it is used as a large screen for playing media files of any format, launching applications;
You can surf the Internet.
Not all TVs and phones support Wi-Fi Direct technology;
This adapter is used for Apple smartphones that are equipped with a special connector. Connection options are the same as with USB, HDMI cable. One end of the Lighting goes to the TV port, and the other to the mobile phone. The storage folders are displayed on the screen, it is possible to use the TV as a computer monitor.
Advantages of the method: USB ports remain free, the screen will completely replace the computer monitor in games and other activities. There are no downsides. Provided that the user has an “apple” smartphone, this is the only convenient and simple option for a wired connection.
Apple and Samsung smartphones have headphone jacks on the case and for transferring information to a computer. If the owner of the device is thinking about how to connect a smartphone to a TV via USB, then he must first find the cable that came with the device. It will need to be plugged into the appropriate connector. When connecting, you will need to select a mode so that the phone is detected as an external storage. Android will suggest it right away.
Which way is the best?
If you can connect to HDMI, then you shouldn’t look for alternatives. These are both wide opportunities and high quality. The second place should be given to wireless connection methods for devices on the same OS or on the OS of the same manufacturer.
The option with Wi-Fi Direct is considered categorically inconvenient, although in some situations it is ideal. For example, if you need to view several files and the whole process takes a little time. The USB method, even in case of failures, remains very affordable due to its prevalence, because almost every adapter has a USB connector. The MHL method has the most compatibility problems.
Quick way: use standard Wi-Fi and your Smart TV app on your phone, connecting to your TV screen through it
Android and Smart TV owners will love Miracast. Buy Chromecast additionally for a regular TV.
Owners of Apple smartphones will benefit from a combination of the Apple TV 4K media player along with Lighting and Miracast adapters. In most cases, you will need different adapters to connect your phone to your TV. Buy these at every opportunity.
In addition to Smart TVs, there are other smart home devices designed to make your life more comfortable and simpler.