To use DLNA on your TV, you need:
- Connect both TV and smartphone or tablet to the same network via Wi-Fi. You can do this on both devices by going into their network settings and searching for a wireless network. Select your home wireless network from this list and enter your wireless network password. In the case of smart TVs, you can also use a LAN cable to connect them to your router.
- Download DLNA app to your smartphone. To stream content from a smartphone, the DLNA app must be installed on the smartphone. One of the most popular DLNA apps is BubbleUPnP, which can be downloaded for free from the Google Play Store. Some smartphones also come pre-loaded with DLNA apps.
- Device selection. Once you download the BubbleUPnP app to your smartphone, you will see a screen with four menus at the bottom. Now Playing, Playlist, Library and Devices. Before choosing a file, you need to select the device you want to stream to. You can access this list by clicking on Devices presented on the main screen of the application. Select your TV from the list of renders. If you are streaming content from your portable device, then you can choose that too. If you have a separate NAS, you can also choose to stream from it.
- Streaming media to TV. Once you select a device, you need to select the content you want to play on it. You can access all media by first selecting the source you want to play from. BubbleUPnP splits all your songs, videos and pictures into folders. You can click on the file you want to stream. Once you select a file, the app will start streaming it to your TV. You can choose one file or create a playlist to your liking. You can also control the TV volume using the volume keys on your phone. In this way, you can quickly and easily decide how to transfer the image.
You can also use DLNA to connect your laptop to your TV and stream photos to your TV. Some smart TVs don’t even need a router as a means to stream media files from a smartphone. To do this, you need a smart TV and a smartphone that supports Miracast. This technology uses Wi-Fi Direct to stream content and is great for use over short distances, such as in the living room. Miracast also allows you to mirror your smartphone screen to your smart TV. This means you can watch movies, music, as well as play games and use applications on the big screen. Samsung has implemented this method when creating Smart-TV technology.
Screen mirroring with Widi Miracast
Windows 10 has offered the ability to mirror your screen to any adapter or device (streaming device, TV) that is compatible with the popular Miracast standard since its launch in 2015. Microsoft OS now allows your PC to become a wireless display by receiving Miracast signals from your phone, tablet or other Windows 10 laptop or desktop.
The Windows Connect app will launch in its own window when the Smart-TV connection starts. You can drag, resize or maximize the window. We found the video to play smoothly when paired between the Surface Pro 4 and the ThinkPad T440s. In addition, if the sending device is a Windows 10 PC and allowed, you can use the keyboard and mouse on the receiving computer to control the sender remotely.
How to mirror Windows 10 screen to another device
Here’s how to cast your screen from a sending device if it’s a Windows 10 computer. Android devices have different wireless display menus.
- Open the action center.
- Click Connect. A list of available receiving devices will appear and your second computer should be on it.
- Select the receiving device. You may have to wait a minute or longer to connect the devices. It may also crash and you will need to try again.
- Select the Allow Input check box. if you want the receiving device to control your PC with a keyboard and mouse.
- Click Change Projection Mode and select Extend from the menu that appears if you want to use your wireless display as a second desktop rather than a mirror of your current desktop.
- Click Disable. when you want to break the connection.
The adapter is a complete solution that allows you to connect right out of the box. This means that the number of settings is minimized. There is a decoder and a video capture card inside the adapter so that videos are played in the best quality.
- There is a connection diagram in the instructions for the adapter.
- After the TV is connected to the adapter and is displayed in the status bars, you can proceed to the next step.
- Connect the source directly to the adapter. It is he who will process the data and transfer it to the big screen. Do not try to connect your laptop to a TV using an adapter. It does not make sense.
The advantage of this approach is that even TVs with or without a weak network card can connect wirelessly and transmit Full HD video.
LG Smart TV allows you to watch a movie on your TV, broadcasting a high-quality picture without an adapter. Data transmission technologies are already built into TV.
With Wireless Display
There are many gadgets that can act as a bridge between your laptop and your TV, allowing you to “stream” content from one to the other. You will also hear the term “screen mirroring”, although technically they are slightly different: one is streaming content from an application, and the other is simply copying your laptop screen.
Roku Express is a good option. It is a media streamer that connects to your TV via HDMI and allows you to install applications for a variety of TV collection and movie subscription services. It also allows you to stream from a compatible device in much the same way as Google Chromecast for 100, but with the addition of a user-friendly interface.
If you don’t need a media streaming box. perhaps you already have a Smart TV and don’t need to add apps. there are solutions like adapters for fast streaming. This is exactly the same as connecting two devices using an HDMI cable, except that the cable itself is replaced with a wireless system (more details below).
How to force Windows 10 to use an external display?
When you connect your computer to your TV via HDMI or even VGA, Windows should automatically detect and display the image on it. Just make sure your TV is turned on and set to the correct video input.
How to connect your PC to Samsung Smart TV through Screen Mirroring
If not, you can try the Windows 10 key combination: Windows P key. Hold the Windows key and press P repeatedly to cycle through the different options: Laptop screen only Duplicate Extend Second screen only. You probably want to Duplicate or Second Screen Only.
We will analyze the points to connect a laptop to a TV without a wire in order to choose the easiest way.
All ways how to connect a laptop to a TV via Wi-Fi
21st century in the yard. down with wires. You can connect your TV to any media, and even wirelessly. To do everything right, and not later write on the forums that “Wireless technologies do not work”, you need to read the article and choose the simplest method for yourself. Step-by-step instructions on how to connect a laptop to a TV via Wi-Fi and useful tips that will speed up your work further in the text.
One problem can arise with Smart TVs. The connection between your PC and TV may depend on a reliable high-speed internet connection or Wi-Fi.
How to connect a laptop to a TV via WI-FI
If the size of the laptop screen is not enough for you, or you want to expand the functionality of the TV by connecting a laptop, then there are several ways to link the two devices. The easiest option is to use an HDMI cable for the connection. But a wired connection is inconvenient: equipment must be placed nearby, cables must be hidden.
The problem is solved simply: if you figure out how to connect a laptop to a TV via WI-FI, you can establish a stable connection without unnecessary wires that interfere with normal movement around the room. Let’s look at the three main ways to establish a wireless connection using the Wi-Fi standard.
Screen mirroring using WiDi (Miracast)
It is not necessary to set up a DLNA server and share folders. If the laptop is built on the basis of a third generation Intel processor, equipped with an Intel Wi-Fi module, and was preinstalled with Windows 8.1, this means that the laptop supports direct data transfer using Wi-Fi Direct technology. Additionally, the Intel Wireless Display component may need to be installed. Learn more about the technology on the Intel website; there you can also download the WiDi Compatibility Tool, which will check the hardware and software, and then tell you if your system can work with WiDi.
Direct connection TV must support Miracast (WiDI) technology. Previously, this required a special adapter, but today most modern models support this technology by default.
- Launch WiDi on TV by finding the appropriate item in the settings.
- Open Intel Wireless Display on your laptop. Establish a connection to the wireless monitor (a code appears on the TV screen).
- Open the side Charms bar, go to the “Devices” section and add a new projector.
How to connect Samsung smart TV to laptop wirelessly. Very Easily
The devices are paired. Now the image from the laptop screen will be duplicated on TV.
Setting up a home server
Don’t be intimidated by the title, you don’t need any special knowledge to set up a home server in a Windows environment. For correct operation, the laptop and TV must be connected to the same wireless point. If the TV supports Wi-Fi Direct technology, then you can establish a connection directly, without a router.
- Go to settings. Find a section with a name like “Network” (on different models, the section names are different).
- Turn on the Wi-Fi adapter and select the router to which your laptop is connected from the list of available connection points.
When both devices are connected to the same wireless network, set up a DLNA server on your computer. Right click and on the wireless icon in the notification bar and launch the “Network and Sharing Center”.
Look at the value of the network; if you have a public network, change it to private.
- Open the control panel, change the display type to “Small icons”. Go to the “Administration” section.
- Go to “Local Security Policy”.
- Click on Network List Manager Policies in the left menu. Select the connection whose value you want to change and go to its properties.
- Go to the “Network Location” tab and set the type to “Private”. Save changes.
The preparation is complete, now you need to “share” the folders, the media content of which you want to play on the TV screen. Let’s see how this is done using the example of the “Music” catalog.
- Right click on the folder, go to its properties.
- Go to the “Access” tab, click on “Advanced setup”.
- Check the box “Share” and save the changes.
After setting up DLNA on the computer, take the TV remote control and find in the device parameters the item responsible for playing content from external sources. For example, on LG, you need to select “Connect PC” in the “SmartShare” menu to access the shared folders.
To view a media file stored on your laptop, right-click on it and open the Play On menu. Select TV. the broadcast will start automatically.
Note MKV format files cannot be played via DLNA server. If you downloaded a video from YouTube or downloaded a movie from another source, then make sure that the file has the AVI extension or convert.
Adapters for older models
If the TV does not have a Wi-Fi module, but there is an HDMI port, then you can establish a wireless connection using adapters and a micro PC. Several variants:
- Android Mini PC.
- Google chromecast.
- Miracast adapter.
- Intel Compute Stick.
These devices allow you to expand the functionality of your TV. For example, the main function of Google Chromecast is to broadcast video from a computer to a TV, and a Miracast adapter will help you set up mirroring images from the laptop screen. It is important to make sure that your TV can work with them before purchasing these devices. Read the hardware specification carefully to see if you should try to expand its capabilities.