We use the TV as a monitor for the computer
Today’s TV equipment works perfectly in tandem with other modern devices, including a PC. You can safely use your TV as a computer monitor. It remains only to find out how to connect and configure it correctly. Many newbies have serious problems with this procedure.
This tandem has its pros and cons. Among the obvious advantages, first of all, we can single out the screen diagonal. For average monitors, this figure ranges from 17-24 “, while for TVs. in the region of 30-40”.
Working with multimedia content, documents and playing games on a large TV screen is much more convenient. But this approach has its drawbacks. TV equipment in a good half of the cases is devoid of any adjustments, that is, it is static. just set it up. Whereas the position of the monitor can be changed. vertically and / or horizontally.
In addition, the TV is much heavier than a computer monitor, as well as larger. Using the TV as a monitor requires more desktop space. A device with a diagonal of 30 inches must be located more than 50 cm from the user’s eyes, otherwise he will not be able to capture everything that is happening on the screen. Not all computer desks meet these criteria.
You can connect the equipment in two ways. by cable and by means of wireless protocols. Let’s analyze them in more detail.
This is the most stable and SIMplest option. It does not require any specific settings and works great in “as is” format. You can connect a TV to a computer instead of a monitor in several ways: via DVI, VGA, HDMI or DisplayPort.
HDMI / DisplayPort
The HDMI interface is used to connect media players, game consoles and other equipment. HDMI port allows you to transmit high-quality signal in high definition, coupled with an audio track, and with almost perfect response.
DisplayPort is the next generation of interfaces developed by VESA. For connection to the system unit, this is an ideal option that meets all modern technological trends. Both interfaces are fairly common, especially HDMI. DisplayPort is found only on new technology, so not every TV can be connected to a laptop or PC card.
How to connect TV to PC via HDMI or DisplayPort:
- We insert the plug into the TV on one side and into the PC outlet on the other side (card, laptop port).
- Call the technical menu on the remote control by pressing the Input button (a SIMilar action can be performed through the TV settings).
- Select HDMI or DisplayPort as the main signal source.
- The technician needs a few seconds to accept the connection, after which the PC screen switches to the TV screen.
Sometimes it may take longer to sync. It depends on the TV firmware and the computer card. If the picture is displayed incorrectly, then you should configure the parameters on the PC.
Debug image on PC:
- Call the context menu by right-clicking on the desktop.
- Selecting “Screen Options”.
- In the section “Multiple displays” we set the nominal resolution of the TV.
Here, in the additional parameters, you can adjust the screen refresh rate and set other presets. If the TV is not defined as a second monitor, then you need to press the “Find” button.
DVI / VGA
Ports have long lost their relevance, and you can find them on old equipment. The VGA interface transmits only an analog signal, while the DVI port can also work with digital broadcasting. The capabilities of the latter are indicated by the corresponding prefix:
- DVI-I. universal option;
- DVI-D. digital broadcast only;
- DVI-A. analog only.
If your TV has a DVI port, and your computer has VGA, or vice versa, you can use an adapter.
Connecting TV to PC via DVI / VGA:
- Insert the plugs for the corresponding interfaces.
- We connect the audio cable to the Audio-In port.
- In the TV menu, set DVI or VGA (sometimes D-Sub) as a signal source.
If necessary, adjust the image on the PC according to the instructions above.
You can also connect your phone to a TV via Wi-Fi or a local network using a DLNA server. The ideal option is to adopt Miracast or WiDi (Wireless Display) technology: there is no fundamental difference between them. For the latter to work correctly, you need a Smart TV format and a PC running Windows 8 or higher. The equipment must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
Connecting TV to PC via Miracast or WiDi:
- Open the “Network” item in the TV settings.
- Click on the line Miracast / Intel’s WiDi.
- Move the slider to the on position.
- Download and install Intel Wireless Display drivers on the PC (freely available).
- In the utility settings, select “Devices” and “Detect”.
- Click on the TV model and wait for the end of synchronization.
You can connect your TV to your computer via a DLNA server. There are more than enough special utilities for organizing the latter on the Web. The Home Media Server program has proven itself especially well. Let’s consider synchronization using its example.
Connecting TV to PC via DLNA Server:
- Installing the utility on a PC.
- We go into the settings and click on the item “Devices”.
- We start searching for equipment for synchronization.
- Choose a TV model from the list that appears.
- Go to the section “Media resources”.
- Click on the “Add” button and designate all disks or individual folders that will have access to the TV.
- Save the changes by clicking “Apply”.
- On the main screen of the program, open the appeared media server and click on the “Start” button.
- On the TV, we select the LAN protocol as the signal source, after connecting the cable from the TV to the corresponding connector on the PC.
- Now all playable content on a PC from the above discs or folders will be streamed to TV.
When connecting the TV as a monitor, the sound may sometimes not be output. Here you also need to perform a number of actions on a personal computer.
- Right-click on the speaker icon at the bottom of the interface.
- Find the item “Playback Devices”.
- In the list provided, in addition to PC speakers, there must be a TV model.
- Select TV with the right mouse button and click on “Use as default”.
- Save changes by clicking on the OK button.
Disadvantages of wireless technologies
Despite the convenience of wireless protocols, they also have serious drawbacks. When working with the above technologies, braking and freezing are often observed. In addition, the output picture quality does not always meet the stated requirements. Unpleasant “soap” or artifacts may appear.
How to use a laptop as a computer monitor or another laptop
There may be several situations when there is a need to use a laptop as a monitor. The most common problem is the failure of the main display of a personal computer. Therefore, in order to use the power of the system unit and the data stored in it in the future, you will need a monitor of another external device. The same situation can occur if the display matrix of another laptop does not work correctly.
Use your laptop as a monitor with a cable connection
Having decided on the necessary cable and using it to establish a connection between the system unit and the laptop, we proceed to setting up the display. To do this, turn on the laptop and wait for it to fully boot. After that we activate the “Properties” or “Screen Resolution” settings menu item (depending on the installed operating system) by right-clicking on an empty space on the desktop. In the window that opens, we see the parameters of the current display.
To use a laptop as a computer display, you need to select the required monitor by name from the list that appears. Then you need to extend the PC desktop to the connected device by checking the box opposite the corresponding menu item. To do this, you need to confirm the changes made by clicking the “Apply” button, and then “Ok”. After completing these SIMple settings, you will be using your laptop screen as your main monitor.
The advantages of this method:
- reliable connection;
- stable data transfer rate;
- SIMple settings.
Disadvantages of cable connection:
- lack of the required cable;
- mismatch between laptop and desktop PC connectors;
- the need to purchase an adapter.
How to connect a laptop as a monitor
Ways to connect a laptop as a monitor
The most stable and reliable way to do this is by cable connection. Depending on the laptop model, its external interfaces may differ. You can use a laptop as a monitor through the HDMI connector or through the VGA output. If the system unit contains only an HDMI jack, and the laptop is equipped with a VGA input, then a special adapter will be required for their joint work.
How to use a laptop as a display over Wi-Fi
For computers with the operating system Windows 7 and later, as well as Mac devices, there is a special program called Air Display. It allows you to quickly and efficiently connect your laptop as a computer monitor wirelessly. To do this, the application must be installed and activated SIMultaneously on two devices. By following SIMple setup points, following clear prompts, you will quickly achieve the desired result.
The MaxiVista utility will provide a stable connection of the laptop as the main display of the PC. It is specially designed for this function and is available in two versions:
- client (for a managed device, whose monitor will be used as the main one);
- server room (must be installed on the main device).
When starting the application, the server should automatically detect the client laptop. After connecting to it and performing step by step settings, you can use your laptop as a computer monitor. The main disadvantage of this utility is that it is not free and is not cheap. In addition, there are a number of programs that allow you to remotely use the display of a paired device:
- RDesktop and others.
These applications have their own characteristics and more complex configuration. Among all the listed methods, each user will be able to choose and apply in his case the most convenient and accessible option for him.
How you can remake a monitor to make a TV out of it without a computer
The success of the whole business depends on the quality of the source material. So, before starting a direct conversation about how to make a monitor from a TV with your own hands, we note that the easiest way is to work with products of Korean origin. The displays from Samsung are the most picky in this regard. In second place are LG and Sony. The rest of the monitors are more capricious in rework.
Monitor requires computer speakers
Since built-in speakers for sound reproduction are extremely rare in monitors, in order to hear TV broadcasts, you will need to connect any computer speakers or a stereo system to the monitor. The adapters have a built-in 3.5 mm mini jack.
Is it possible to convert a monitor into a TV
The need to use the monitor as a TV can arise quite often. There are not always free funds for buying a small TV, for example, for a summer cottage, kitchen or garage, and monitors are often left unnecessary after buying new ones. In this case, this option would be a good solution.
There are several options for redesigning the device:
- purchase of a special board and its replacement in the monitor itself;
- purchase of a TV tuner for external connection with a connector required for this monitor;
- purchase of a standard TV tuner and converter to connect the device.
The easiest option is to buy a TV tuner. It is a small-sized device for receiving a television signal. TV tuners have been around for a long time, but now they have become especially popular due to the beginning of digital TV broadcasting.
They are of two types: computer (or internal) and external. The first category has long lost its relevance due to the limited set of functions. The second is convenient in that you can connect without the computer itself.
Such a device helps not only to start receiving digital television with a higher quality, but also to connect directly to the monitor instead of the TV.
The TV tuner requires an antenna connection, just like a regular TV.
Avermedia TV Box 3
Tuner made in Taiwan with high image quality and low-frequency outputs. The exterior is bright and unusual, equipped with a remote control working through an infrared receiver. Some of the inputs and outputs are located behind a hinged cover, there is a stand for vertical installation of the tuner, instructions in Russian are included.
Among the connectors it is worth noting:
- mini-jack sound input and output;
- audio line-in (RCA);
- composite input (RCA);
- input and output (VGA 15-pin).
The set includes a cable for connection to the monitor, but it is short and the individual outputs have no screens. This leads to the fact that with high image quality, the picture is somewhat distorted.
Important information for deciding whether to rework your monitor
What is the difference between a monitor and a TV? Why, in general, do you need to redo something, because both devices have a signal, does it require any additional settings? Yes, it does, and the monitor and TV really have differences:
- TVs have a wider range of sizes;
- to view the picture, you need to be near the monitor, while TV can be watched at a decent distance;
- displays have only advanced frame scan;
- monitors do not have remote control.
And one more important difference: monitors are cheaper than TVs. So you can save a lot if, for example, you have an old display and no TV to give. But for such a rework, you need to know some details of the device and the principles of the display.
How to make a TV out of a monitor. remaking a CRT
|Older screens have no digital data output. Therefore, you need an adapter. On the one hand. a regular contact for a computer card, on the other. HDMI.|
|An external TV tuner is required for signal processing. It is a SIMple device with cable, HDMI and audio outputs.|
|Connect the monitor wire to the adapter.|
|Connect the adapter to the TV tuner.|
|Insert the antenna cable into the corresponding connector.|
|Plug the display and tuner into a power outlet and check for a signal. Search for channels.|
|Use the buttons on the front of the monitor to adjust the position of the picture.|
|You will need a cord with bells to extract sound through the stereo. Connect them through the connectors of the corresponding color.|
|Set the volume on the stereo system to maximum, and then adjust the sound level using the TV tuner remote.|
Chinese devices are no less interesting in this market. Most often it is a TV tuner with the same VGA connector, additionally equipped with the ability to connect external and built-in speakers.
The devices represent a ready-made TV without a monitor, which SIMply connects and works through a regular VGA without additional settings. It is possible to connect the device to a computer, which allows you to use the monitor for its intended purpose or as a TV when the PC is turned off.
Such devices are inexpensive. And due to their small size, they are easily transportable. ideal for use in the country (you can take it with you). In a more expensive price segment, you can SIMultaneously get not only a regular TV, but also Smart-TV and even a mini-computer.
Choosing and connecting a TV tuner for a computer
The most affordable way to make a TV out of a computer monitor is to connect an external tuner to it. Let’s figure out how to choose it correctly and connect it correctly.
Choosing a TV tuner and connecting
When choosing a device, you need to pay attention to the set of ports. Today you can find a TV tuner with all kinds of connectors. HDMI, VGA or DVI. The design of the monitor, tuner and speaker system is quite easy to assemble:
- the cable is connected to the corresponding portals on the set-top box and monitor;
- an acoustic installation is connected to the line-out;
- antenna cable. into the specified connector;
- and finally. power supply to all devices.
This completes the assembly, then the channels are SIMply tuned according to the instructions attached to the tuner. The monitor is now a TV.
But first you need to decide on the choice of the tuner itself. Taiwanese, Korean and even Chinese devices have good characteristics.
Today, all human life is “believed” around information flows:
- Data can be obtained SIMply by turning on the TV.
- Information comes in an endless stream from the Internet, from news sites.
- Printed editions have receded into the background and create only background “information noise”.
- Even grandmothers at the entrance are not discussing for vegetables, but geopolitical problems.
The rapid change in environmental conditions forces a person to adapt to changes. And what to do when these changes happen ten times a day, with new news from all over the world? The body is not adapted to such emotional stress, our ancestors learned about all the changes with a great delay and were rarely interested in events on the other side of the globe. And we constantly have to do this in order to “keep our nose downwind”.
There is only one way out of the situation: do not take everything to heart, isolate yourself from the endless stream of data and give your consciousness an opportunity to take a break from all this cycle for at least a couple of weeks.
How to use a TV as a monitor?
Plasma TV hanging on the wall for several years can be used as a monitor:
- It is enough to inspect it for the necessary connectors.
- Standard VGA or HDMI will do, these two ports are found on almost every modern TV and on every card.
- It remains to find a cable with which you can connect the system unit and plasma.
- The system does not require installation of drivers or anything like that.
- If the TV is connected in parallel with the monitor, you should pay a little attention to the settings.
- In screen resolutions, everything is intuitive. choose a monitor, adjust the resolution and make it the main one.
Now you can display any image on the big screen. Some retro games will look especially epic at this resolution. To turn off the plasma, just remove the cable and you can watch your favorite TV channels again.
How to watch TV channels from the monitor?
To use the monitor as a TV, it is enough to acquire TV tuner. It can be connected via VGA connector and enjoy the available TV channels. If you do not want to spend money on a new device, you can SIMply replace one single board with a signal decoder.
In fact, this can be more difficult than in words. So if you are not particularly strong in technology, take the monitor to the specialists, they will replace anything for a modest fee.
Some are still just wondering if the monitor can be used as a TV, while others are already enjoying their savings. It is better not to resort to experiments with technology if you are not sure that you can return everything “as it was before.”.
In an attempt to save money on the purchase of household appliances, many wondered if the monitor can be used as a TV without additional costs? Given the current for equipment, the question is more than relevant. And why spend money on buying a separate TV in the garage or in the kitchen, when you can use an old monitor standing idle?
How to use a laptop as a monitor?
You can connect a laptop to a monitor using it in a SIMilar way. Directly connecting it to the system unit, bypassing the monitor, will not work. There are two options:
For the lazy
Most likely you will be able to use only the VGA connector.
Download any remote control software.
It is enough to find a suitable cable and connect it to the screen.
Run it on both devices and enter the required data.
In “Screen Resolution” select the primary and secondary monitor.
Enjoy the same picture and control. (need internet access)
But there are some nuances in both moments:
- By connecting the cable, we, by and large, bypass the system unit. It turns out that not the laptop is connected to the computer, but the screen to the laptop. And we can only use the data that is on the hard drive of the laptop.
- In the second case, you can face even more problems. You cannot run the program without a working monitor. They sync over the internet, so both devices must have a stable network connection.
- It is not possible to connect a laptop directly to a personal computer. In essence, it would be a union of two autonomous systems.
Monitor as a TV
The most difficult moment is using an ordinary monitor as a TV. Do not be lazy to see if you bought a monitor with a built-in signal decoder. The probability of this event is not so high, but it is.
It is best to bring it to your friends in the service along with a new board and pay for the work of specialists. The very next day it will be possible to pick up your now TV. And it will cost much less than buying a new plasma.
- The monitor can still be connected to the system unit through the connectors.
- An antenna or cable can be used to watch TV channels.
- The picture quality depends on the screen resolution.
lesson: making a TV from a monitor
In this, Timur Bogomolov will show and explain in detail how he made a full-fledged color TV out of a monitor:
TV as a monitor. can I use: 4 steps to connect
A TV monitor instead of a computer monitor. yes, you can! content, gaming, presentations. all this is more spectacular to look at on large screens. There are drawbacks in operation. But this is nothing compared to what opportunities open up to the user.
Which is more convenient, a monitor or a TV
Depends on financial capabilities and purposes of application. If you buy a computer monitor with a large display, then the use of a TV as a computer monitor immediately disappears. It is expensive.
A monitor is suitable for working with graphic pictures. TV does not convey the fidelity required for such delicate work. When working with browsers on the Internet, it is better not to use a TV.
- First, the TV set is not always adaptive.
- Secondly, the graphics will look ridiculous on the big screen.
Convenience is an important factor. Especially if you have to spend more than 8 hours at the PC. Doing this on the TV is uncomfortable, fatigue overcomes literally in the morning.
We evaluate the positive and negative sides of the TV as a monitor.
The big screen is the dream of gamers, because you can plunge into the gaming world much deeper. But, it is worth considering such a technical feature as Input Lag. This is the delay in displaying images for a certain period of time.
The cursor when moving the gaming mouse on a PC instantly follows your movements, unlike TV, where the action takes place with slowdown. If on a physical level this is not so noticeable, then it affects inveterate players. The indicator is measured in milliseconds (ms), for a comfortable game. no more than 40 ms. It is important to consider these nuances first of all. Everything else is secondary.
Connecting a TV to a Computer
It’s SIMple. The only nuance can be in the absence of suitable connectors on both devices. But this task is fixable.
How to connect a TV instead of a monitor? Via cable or Wi-Fi.
- HDMI and DisplayPort cables provide high-quality Full HD picture display and excellent sound, without additional connections.
- But VGA, DVI should be used in the absence of the above plugs. Why? Read below.
On the topic: 5 effective ways to connect a TV monitor to a PC
The SIMplest and most common connection method. There may be several such connectors on the TV set. One cable carries high quality audio and picture. No other cables are needed, provided that the TV set and card are equipped with this port.
Using DVI and VGA
DVI transmits a high quality picture. But, you can’t do without an audio wire.
Let’s analyze three variants of DVI-cable in the table:
Unlike the modernized DVI, VGA is a legacy interface. Only “pictures” are not of the best quality. It will not display the picture in HD format. In addition, you need to use a cable (RGA) or “minijack” (3.5 Jack) to transfer the audio signal. Modern TV models are not equipped with it. Both devices must be off to connect.
The TV does not have DVI-I, but there is on the PC card. connecting devices to help. Options: DVI — VGA or DVI — HDMI.
“Disadvantages” of cords. fastening connection of the socket. If caught on the cord, damage to both devices cannot be avoided.
Transmits image, content and audio signals as packets. Provides high quality transmission without the help of other devices. Sound or can be transmitted separately. The difference from HDMI is the application. Despite the fact that the latter can be synchronized with a PC, its main purpose is multimedia equipment.
The adapter will help you sync the cord to your DisplayPort source and VGA display. Or connect to 1 channel DVI or HDMI display.
Undeniably a better option than a cord. There is no need to place the system unit near the TV due to the short cable length. This affects the attractive appearance of the room without a lot of hanging cords.
“Minus”. depends on the net speed. It connects if the Internet is at least 30 Mbps. Wireless sync in three ways:
- via Wi-Fi adapter (external). For TV sets without a general Wi-Fi adapter;
- via DLNA. For home LAN. In the PC, connect network discovery and file sharing. To activate, go to the “Network and Sharing Center”. In the TV menu, click on the wireless connection;
- via WiDi software (Miracast). It is a home media server for conveniently dubbing content playbacks to external devices via Wi-Fi.
What TVs can be connected to a computer
One way or another, but not every TV screen will serve as a computer monitor. It all depends on the resolution of the TV. Large diagonal and small resolution promises to show coarse-grained “pictures”. Standard TV models have twice as many pixels as monitors. A good option would be 1920 × 1080 pixel resolution. But, this is not the limit. The larger the diagonal, the larger the pixel should be.
Whether a TV can be used instead of a monitor depends on the user’s needs. A 32-inch diagonal is enough to work with office applications, browsers on the Internet. You can play games and watch movies on a diagonal of 36 ″ and above.
Setting up the TV after connecting to a computer
You will need a remote control. Press the “Source” or “Input” button on it. Further setup on a PC:
- On Windows 7 and later, press WindowsP to open the Project menu. For other versions. on the PC desktop, right-click and select “Properties”.
- Decide in what form the “pictures” will be displayed. in our case it is “Computer”.
- If necessary, enter the screen resolution in the corresponding window using the slider.
Can the TV be used as a computer monitor? Yes. But the aspects to be judged can change your mind. Consider the degree of need and the technical parameters of the TV. Having found this out, there will be no difficulties with synchronization.